/wt/ Watch Thread, Classy Chrono Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of chronograph horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=P5jRLH0L5S8

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

japan-onlinestore.com/SBGA281
ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Analog-Sport-Watch-Prospex-Baby-Tuna-Black-Mens-SRP641K1/292281448694?epid=5003305629&hash=item440d54f8f6:g:OVYAAOSwOYFadGQB
forums.watchuseek.com/f642/grand-seiko-straps-2462569.html
s.aliexpress.com/bYb2uaEF
twitter.com/AnonBabble

looks big

wristlets need not apply

looks dressy as fuck

This is a good watch

just ordered an seiko sne437

I want to change the band to a jubilee or oyster style one.

how would I know if the curved ends will fit the case?

does anyone know of good one sthat will fit this watch?

my wrist is 7.5", anything over 42mm still looks stupid even if it "fits"

w2c

Interesting about the crown. I plan to get a quartz but it would be my second GS. First GS for me would have to be a spring drive or auto.

You bring up the serviceability of the spring drive which is something I as well am concerned about. My current goal GS is a SBGA081.

You could contact strapcode and give them the model number to make sure it fits the case

I like the super oyster

for what purpose

>SBGA081
Deprecated :^)

Funny enough I actually prefer the old GS dials. Plus don't care about resale.

An advantage of the 9F movements is that they are the only GS movements that Seiko USA can service without having to ship them to Japan. That's what I think I recall reading before sending it in.

You can't go wrong with the autos either. I have an 8L35B movement and it is top tier. I can only imagine that the 9S is probably something truly remarkable.

Pic is another GS 9F I considered.

Picked this up yesterday.

Thoughts?

should've left it on the ground

Thx m8

>citizen
>ever

Rewards for their long-time employees.

fuck that's nice

I want to get a Tudor bracelet for my PADI special edition and I am not sure it will fit

>getting a bracelet that costs more than the whole watch

Well I want the spring lock on the clasp that the divers have

shigeru

japan-onlinestore.com/SBGA281
so i'm trying to research this a bit, what's the diameter?

Says right on the link you posted. 39.4mm

Oh is the width measurement the same? I guess that would make sense. Thanks user. Adding it to the life long wish list.

Anyone know where to get a Seiko Baby Tuna ? All prices are inflated.

Black/gold colour way

>eta hand size is .25mm

ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Analog-Sport-Watch-Prospex-Baby-Tuna-Black-Mens-SRP641K1/292281448694?epid=5003305629&hash=item440d54f8f6:g:OVYAAOSwOYFadGQB

>people on the urban soyboy getting ass blasted over edc's with pistols in them

how would this look on a black leather strap?

There's a whole thread on WUS dedicated to GSs on straps, just take a look:

forums.watchuseek.com/f642/grand-seiko-straps-2462569.html

Help I cannot stop buying digital Casio's.

>forums.watchuseek.com/f642/grand-seiko-straps-2462569.html
this is not ok

why not fag

i wish they would release a textured dial like the snowflake, but black instead of white. that on a leather strap would be ideal.

Looking for a really well-known chronometer similar in design to a speedy, automatic, under $2K. I don't mind it being used. Should I just save up for a moonwatch instead? Or are there better alternatives in the 1500-2000 range?

bulova moonwatch

Me again
Is the Speedmaster Reduced okay? I mean it didn't go to the moon but hey craftsmanship is what I'm looking for here.

not auto

yeah no one cares about the difference

i actually prefer the reduced

I like the look of the reduced. The movement is not very service friendly if that is something that bothers you.

Why? The smaller dial?

he is a tiny man with atrophied wrists

yeah the smaller size makes it more practical as an everyday watch. the two tone gold also works well as a dress watch should you desire.

>yeah the smaller size makes it more practical as an everyday watch.
for a woman

>the two tone gold also works well as a dress watch should you desire.
gay

kys pleb

>I have a single old black and white photo
>that means I should wear a tiny gold plated version of a mans tool watch

AHAHAHAHA

i wear a 40mm every day famalam sorry i'm not as fat as the typical burger and have 6.5" wrists ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

some of us just don't care for a 52mm panerai

>some of us just don't care for a 52mm panerai
we...we were talking about the omega speedmaster, not the 52mm panerai, did you become confused?

Not arguing about the two tone. Conflating big watches with being manly is just about the same tier retarded as what you would call "soyboys" thinking they are manly growing beards.

suggesting you could have a two tone tool watch of an iconic model which would serve perfectly in literally any occasion short of diving is bad?

sorry you have pleb taste?

>hurr durr 42mm is for men but 38mm is for faggot women
did you remember to take your medicine today?

I don't conflate big watches with being manly, I conflate seeing a normal sized functional tool watch and thinking "oh i wish that were more dainty and covered in gold!" with faggotry

>>hurr durr 42mm is for men but 38mm is for faggot women
>did you remember to take your medicine today?
I am confident that what ever watch you are wearing would look better on you if it were 4mm smaller in diameter with more gold accents, I am very sure that's the kind of "man" you are

>name a speedy reduced model i think looks good as an example of how versatile it is
>literally costs no more on the used market than SS models
>insinuating i'm some arab money who considers the pinnacle of class to be gold chromed lambos because i like a two tone model of a watch
whatever friends you have must hate you lol

gay

whatever helps you sleep better, champ. while you're at it, tell rick flair he's a dainty faggot for only wearing solid gold rolex tool watches.

gay

I'd go with the black dial one.

Do they make it in 34mm with rose gold accents?

No not to my knowledge

Dang, when will us real men catch a bread :(

that's gaudy as fuck

there are a shitload of different references, you'd be hard pressed to find a face you didn't like. you can find good examples for ~2k usd. motm for horological reasons is archie tier, who cares unless you're really interested in getting the hesalite.

Unrelated but I would wear the fuck out of a rose gold datejust

The reduced came in both plastic and sapphire

I got the SRPC13 recraft with the teal/blue-green dial from my local brick and mortar store for about 230usd. I am surprised it was in stock, I thought the entire internet had bought it up to flip it for a higher price.

Found a sbdj027 for 359 USD at the airport in the Taiwan airport. Should I go for it?

I've got bitch wrists and it's perfect.

And how is it?

A bit bigger than it needs to be. The hidden lugs help to reduce excessive lug overhang, which helps it look a bit smaller on the wrist. If I really find that don't like it I will probably trade it for a mini turtle.

can anyone recommend a watch winder?

does it need random turns or certain turns per day?

Why would someone get this over an Oyster Perpetual?

>pic related

"What time is it user?"
"Black"

s.aliexpress.com/bYb2uaEF

bamp

The Speedy Moonwatch isn't automatic, it's manual wind. The Speedy reduced is the auto.

and should I get one with multiple winders?

boof

It's called a chronograph.

Why is there such an influx of people getting this wrong lately?

Talk me out of buying a cheap analog casio quartz instead of a memechanic

How do you know that he wasn't actually looking for a chronometer? Those are also a type of watch by the way.

I know I got it wrong at the very beginning too. In French, everyone outside of watch nerds says "chronomètre" when they mean stopwatch.

The speedmaster isn't a chronometer.

>I actually prefer the old GS dials
Well then you're in luck, a Sarb will give you 99% of the experience of the old Grand Seiko branding.

To me, the new branding is infinitely better, and truer to the original Grand Seikos.

anyone knows a good website to buy a butterfly clasp for a watch strap in europe?
nothing crazy, I'm just trying to avoid cheap almost plastic shit (which is 90% of what I see on amazon)

If you don't appreciate the engineering, and just want a watch for aesthetics and time, definitely buy a quartz watch.

If you're interested in the engineering/complications or resale value, go mechanical.

is it impossible to appreciate the engineering that goes into a quartz movement?

AliExpress

You can appreciate it, especially if there is something special about it. Like Spring Drive, or the high accuracy stuff from Longines, Citizen & Seiko.

No, but there is significantly less to appreciate.

6 different fonts

To elaborate...

What's cooler? An enigma machine (which can be cracked) or a SHA algorithm (which is secure).

A nice mechanical watch is a painstakingly handcrafted marvel of mechanical engineering (which doesn't keep perfect time).

A quartz watch is based on the vibration of quartz (which keeps near perfect time).

Which is cooler to you? How much is that coolness worth to you?