/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Recent News:
>Essential made an Amazon-exclusive version with Amazon botnet Preinstalled
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/16/17020750/essential-amazon-exclusive-phone-alexa
>New renders reveal the upcoming Nokia 7 Plus and Nokia 1
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/15/17015610/nokia-7-nokia-1-leak-evan-blass-mwc
>Huawei P20 Plus to come with 4,000mAh battery, always on display
gsmarena.com/huawei_p20_plus_to_come_with_4000mah_battery_always_on_display-news-29669.php
>Google can't get their shit together with Pixel 2 reporting device heating and battery life issues
gsmarena.com/pixel_2_users_reporting_device_heating_and_battery_life_issues_after_february_update-news-29666.php
>Athena, Luna and Uni Are Codenames For Upcoming BlackBerry Smartphones
gizchina.com/2018/02/17/athena-luna-and-uni-are-codenames-for-upcoming-blackberry-smartphones/
>Blackberry patents new Camera design
gizchina.com/2018/02/17/blackberry-patents-new-camera-design/
>Sony Xperia XZ2’s Design Change May Refer to Antenna Design
gizchina.com/2018/02/17/sony-xperia-xz2s-design-change-may-refer-antenna-design/

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZdhzPLQhWa0
youtube.com/watch?v=dUMH6DVYskc
washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/johns-hopkins-researchers-discovered-encryption-flaw-in-apples-imessage/2016/03/20/a323f9a0-eca7-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html?utm_term=.d4b7b03614f4
bgr.com/2016/03/21/iphone-imessage-encryption-hackers/
thehackernews.com/2017/08/frappening-celebrity-photos.html
hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/
9to5mac.com/2016/04/19/apple-transparency-report-law-enforcement-requests/
engadget.com/2016/07/21/kickasstorrents-apple-facebook-homeland-security/
cnet.com/news/iphone-apple-brassiere-photos-nude-pictures/
mybroadband.co.za/news/software/234274-put-123-in-your-iphone-calculator-and-get-the-wrong-answer.html
news.softpedia.com/news/iphone-8-plus-battery-bursts-while-charging-destroys-case-and-screen-517860.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=mcTAXsFHu5I
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-bug-letter-i-apple-keyboard-ios-update-software-people-unable-write-type-text-a8039706.html
youtu.be/VYQgn8J6zbU
cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/applesuit.pdf
youtu.be/sI1YELmjh9g
bytewolfgaming2.github.io/fun
cultofmac.com/255618/how-apples-blacklist-manipulates-the-press/
youtube.com/watch?v=GdzjyMV5fTw
youtu.be/IyMTYXUXYvs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't be like this guy

Yo I just bought a near mint S7 for $200 is it still good for 2018? I'm waiting the S8 to drop in price but I got this as I need it for work.

It depends on what you do with your phone and your preferences.
And the Pixel 2 is breaking with its new updates

>trusting egay
>"purchased directly from google" sells it cheaper than google
>nothing sketchy about this

I used to be a power user about two years ago but now I just text and browse Sup Forums with some light web browsing. The most I use it for is Spotify and taking pictures. I'm mainly worried about the battery life.

>guy spends $900 on a Pixel 2XL new
>I spend $250 for a like-new LG G6, same company that makes the Pixel 2 XL

Damn I'm smart lol

i want to FUG kirino

This is why I'm going back to Apple. Android is just to fragmented. To many hands in the pot fucking with the OS. The carriers and manufacturers don't give a shit about you once you walk out of the store.

You call shill against "the man" (Apple) all you want. But their shit works, updates keep it fresh and secure, and if it breaks for some reason other than your autism... they replace it.

Hello friends, need recommendations for ~4.7", I want the best phone that I can buy with money. Thank you, have a nice day

>ishit
>work
Apple is a single company making one OS for one series of phones and they're a complete fucking joke at it.

Shill away. That'll be fixed in a couple of weeks. What if that was Android? Unless you own a Pixel you're fucked.

I've had both Apple and Android and they both have their good and bad points. I'm just tired of shitty apps that don't work as well and zero support when things go wrong.

I'm a power user but I don't live on my device so customizing themes and shit is meaningless to me. Give me someone that works and where I can make one phone call to problems fixed. You can't say that with Android... no matter how much you larp.

uhhhhh...

youtube.com/watch?v=ZdhzPLQhWa0

youtube.com/watch?v=dUMH6DVYskc

washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/johns-hopkins-researchers-discovered-encryption-flaw-in-apples-imessage/2016/03/20/a323f9a0-eca7-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html?utm_term=.d4b7b03614f4

bgr.com/2016/03/21/iphone-imessage-encryption-hackers/

thehackernews.com/2017/08/frappening-celebrity-photos.html

hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/

9to5mac.com/2016/04/19/apple-transparency-report-law-enforcement-requests/

engadget.com/2016/07/21/kickasstorrents-apple-facebook-homeland-security/

cnet.com/news/iphone-apple-brassiere-photos-nude-pictures/

mybroadband.co.za/news/software/234274-put-123-in-your-iphone-calculator-and-get-the-wrong-answer.html

news.softpedia.com/news/iphone-8-plus-battery-bursts-while-charging-destroys-case-and-screen-517860.shtml

youtube.com/watch?v=mcTAXsFHu5I

independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-bug-letter-i-apple-keyboard-ios-update-software-people-unable-write-type-text-a8039706.html

iPhone iOS updates gimp older hardware

youtu.be/VYQgn8J6zbU 6 vs 9

cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/applesuit.pdf

So tl;dr you're a braindead faggot who can't go 1 minute without sucking cocks? Got it.

I can find videos that show the opposite, what's your point? You're a hardcore Soydroid user and you like your device. Good for you.

Sure you can but that doesn't nullify the fact that iPhones are literal pieces of dogshit. Also you're such a big boy standing up to bullies like me, maybe I'll let you suck my dick as a reward.

ugly ass notch and it's slow as balls lmao

Stay mad Soydroid. And, you're not a bully. You're a wanna be... You're trying and I'll give you points. Keep worshiping your Chinese phone and jacking your micro-peen to 2D. I'm sure once you lose a couple of hundred more pounds and leave your basement you'll find an nice girl to rap... I mean settle down with.

I'll wait here for you to post how you hate your new Ching Chong phone because you can't get an update to fix the newest set of glitches to rek Shitdroid this week.

what's a good waterproof phone?

Resurrection remix vs lineage os which is better?

>project treble sounds good enough to make phones last for more than six months
>google will probably drop its support before android 9.0 is out

tl;dr:
>"Leave aplul alone ;_;"

>What if that was Android?
Android has never had this problem.
iShit has this problem every other month.

iTODDLERS BTFO

youtu.be/sI1YELmjh9g

Soydroid BTFO

Reminder to just report/hide the soyboy Apple shill and continue the thread.

No Android has had worse problems... far worse but you’ve eaten so much soy your brain can’t remember.

No device is perfect, but here’s the difference. Apple will fix the glitch in short order. If that glitch was on an Android other than a google phone... you’d be lucky to see a fix in 6 months if ever at all.

Screen shot this. It’ll be fixed in a couple of weeks.

>hw encoding is faster than sw encoding
>"someone call the presses!"
>"Shit, wrong number!!!"

>apple in charge of fixing things

Anytime I see someone with the notched I phone display I die a little on the inside. It's almost as bad as those retarded curved phone displays where people have screen protectors half falling off. The fact that these trash form over function products sell is a miracle of capitalism.

Oh this is an Android only thread. I forgot. I thought it said “cell phone general.”

Wrong board user
bytewolfgaming2.github.io/fun

Haha I have to give credit where credit is due... that was a good one user.

Galaxy S8 with Nova Launcher. Looking for suggestions on how to improve home screen. I like the general theme I got going on, but would like to clean it up a little bit.

>Bug fixes and performance improvements
Thanks for the info Google.

You think the Keyone is worth $300?

So how do android fans get around knowing that Google is not only one of the biggest SJW companies out there... but that they’re literally monitoring your every move?

Apple does the same, the only difference is Android phones cost less, have better specs, performance, and more functions and deatures even the average joe deems very useful (ie itunes not required for full phone access).

oneplus 5T:
>$500
>faster performance
>8GB RAM/128GB Internal
>3,300 mAh battery (0-60 in 30 min)
>~1080p amoled screen
>dual 16MP cameras
>rarely overheats and thermal throttles

iPhone X:
>$1,000
>slower performance
>3GB RAM/64GB Internal
>2,717 mAh battery (0-40 in 30 minutes)
>~1080p amoled screen
>dual 12 MP cameras
>constantly overheats and thermal throttles

What are the best custom ROMs?
Customizability is the priority.

lineage os

>they’re literally monitoring your every move
[citation needed]
you can use android completely without google services

What is the best smartphone and why is it the BlackBerry Classic?

That's better than the launch price of $549 at least. I really wanted it, but there are a couple things I hope they change in this year's successor (more responsive touchpad on the keyboard, no capacitive buttons).

I don’t know. I got an android 90% of the apps as well as Google wanted not only my location but access to my contacts to my microphone to my camera... to everything. Only a handful of Apple apps ever asked for such a usually because the app needed it like Duolingo needing access to my mic.

You sure I’m not just being paranoid?

How do we kill Apple's share of the smartphone market, lads?

Free market economic theory would suggest that Apple's market share should have fallen significantly by now, considering their competition offer superior products at lower prices.

What gives? Why do they continue to hold such a foothold in the market? History has shown the dominant companies can be driven out of business, such as Compaq being driven out of the PC market in the early 2000s, so why is Apple still going strong?

Pretty sure, apple literally sells data to third parties 24/7. One of those third parties are the fucking feds.

lgbt

You have a faulty premise: "superior" product is subjective, not objective. Some people value the better selection of apps and less likelihood of encountering malware and the vertical integration with the rest of Apple's platform.

Crawl out of your bubble. Sup Forums and tech boards are not representative of the larger market.

You might be right. Google just makes me more nervous than Apple.

>hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/

>hong kong post

Stop reposting utterly transparent state propaganda as fact.

1. Buy shrinkwrapper.
2. Buy iProduct with cash.
3. Puncture iProduct battery.
4. Shrinkwrap and return iProduct for refund.
5. Repeat until iProducts are recalled/banned worldwide.

None of those things are offered by apple. btw what fappening wave are on anyway? I've lost count.

then install lineage os, it literally comes 100% stripped of all google spyware from the get-go

>china would intentionally expose one of their most profitable overseas scams
Are you literally retarded?

Step 4.5: Get arrested for fraud the second or third time you do this

Just approve stricter regulations on soy products. Kick the soy lobbyists out of positions of power ASAP.

>Why do they continue to hold such a foothold in the market?
Press blacklisting and manipulation.
cultofmac.com/255618/how-apples-blacklist-manipulates-the-press/

One: it's a status symbol; people are greatly appreciative when an accessory offers the appearance of affluence.

Two: this would be detrimental. Most of Android's (read: Google) competition is seminal at best, to offer them free reign would be a mistake. Duopolies are bad enough, instead of limiting Apple's market share it'd be best to focus on increasing the market share of something like Sailfish or similar systems.

As the asshole who broke his LG G3 from last thread, Is the OnePLus 5 aight? I was going to try and grab an LG G6 but this OnePLus 5 is like 30 bucks more. Is 400~ USD a good deal for it?

What if everyone just does it once?

>frôd/
>noun
>noun: fraud; plural noun: frauds

>wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

> financial or personal gain.

Ill have to look into that.

>"We're very confident in our ability to grow the keyboard market," said Gareth Hurn, BlackBerry Mobile's global head of device portfolio, in a conversation with Engadget.
I've been waiting for this.

I think you meant to highlight
>wrongful
;^)

get caught because you're a retard

>not doing this with a group of friends
>not recruiting someone to help make fakeIDs
>not rotating a variety of retail stores over the course of several months through different states and countries

>affluence
more like faggotry

Question about Chinese phones and data mining: can you remove the collection with root access, or is it embedded into the hardware?

why didn't this catch on? you wouldn't buy a mouse without a scrollwheel.

the former

it's not even a thing just install an official rom if you got chinked but sellers installing shit roms doesn't really happen any more

I want to HUG Kirino

touch screen works superbly for scrolling and a scroll wheel is too clunky i usually scroll click to get finer control

I'm baffled everything doesn't work this way.
youtube.com/watch?v=GdzjyMV5fTw
Although I'd prefer the wheel myself, if you're going to only have a touchscreen why not have fast scrolling like on the Vita or like trackpads have.

Better yet, జ్ఞా

that's wonky it's better to have 1:1 drag + fast flick

iTODDLER BTFO

I have a niece and she says she wants an iPhone 6 for her birthday. I can find some really cheap but with broken glasses, but are iPhone screens easy to fix at all?

I have a OnePlus 3 and when I looked into screen repair for that, it seemed really convoluted, and I've never owned an apple phone before, so have no clue.

Also are there any android phones that I could get for just as cheap that are stronger than the S6? It only has 16GB of memory, and I've seen IP6 some for 90-150$.

>I can find some really cheap but with broken glasses, but are iPhone screens easy to fix at all?
i don't recommend this at all you won't get the legit gorilla glass with oleophobic coating

Kirino is objectively shit in every single aspect

Just get the cheapest shit screen you can to repair it and hopefully wean her off Applel trash.

Are you unironically saying that with assault footage from the biggest cunt this entire universe has to offer? Manami is an absolute demon who crawled out of the deepest pits of hell. She's literally the reason why kirino developed deep romantic feelings for her brother, she could have fucking killed herself if kyousuke didn't have a lick of offection toward her.

I like seeing girls beat up girls, real or animated.

So why does nobody have Sony phones?

What's wrong with them?

sony kinda half-asses it because the smartphone biz hasn't been profitable for them. they don't have a great bang for the buck

Is there anything now or coming that is an upgrade for a ZTE Axon 7? Keen for a phone that
>Decent speakers, preferably front facing so they sound like shit
>MicroSD, mandatory
>Doesn't have a huge price tag
Honestly that's it, a nice camera & good performance/battery is welcome too.

they're often discounted from employers or gifts. I saw a post in December for company upgrade phones where the entire staff was selling their 256gb iPhone X's for $800 each.

To be fair, sony half-ass most of their projects and then blames the costumers after they bomb. Also they are quite expensive for their features.

What is the best cheap cell plan for a chinkphone that will work in the US?

Should I fall for the OP5/5T meme?

Please... please stop hurting her

Mint sim

Oneplus phones are great, just know that customer support is garbage. Otherwise they're worth it.

I used Tracfone, but then again, I got some free phone plan with them through another company because I live with and autistic kid.

Keep selling your souls to Google.. you worthless pieces of shit.

youtu.be/IyMTYXUXYvs

>muh customization
>muh freedom

You fucking stupid kids have no idea...

Good plans, meme marketing. Almost.

wut

I need a new phone. What Android phone has the best camera that shoots raw and doesn't have overly aggressive noise filtering when not shooting raw and 4K video capabilities?

I forgot to mention that I'm with AT&T and will be getting it using their upgrade payment plan.

Rust in Peace is such a GOAT album. God damn.

Hahaha what a poorfag who the fuck finances a phone. Did you get your computer from a rent a center?