youtube.com/watch?v=D7VAOuIePVo
youtube.com/watch?v=CtkZxnkbjtI
youtu.be/xDQI85umLiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nUja5B8ei2U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best are Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, Joe's Garage, and One Size Fits All

Remember when he said nigger in a song? That was pretty cool

dont forget Hot Rats

I'm wearing my Zappa for president shirt!

And In the only song he made a music video for.

Love Hot Rats, but it's not one of my favourites. I honestly love all of his albums in some way or another.

I had a phase where I listened to nothing but Zappa, only albums i didn't listen to were Man From Utopia, Thing-Fish, Reuben and the Jets, and his synclavier stuff (which I need to revisit)

Best is Civ Phaze III, Lather, Uncle Meat, and We're only in it for the money

Best mothers of invention album?
I loved "we're only in it for the money."

Never flush a tampoon

post rare zappas

My favourite's Uncle Meat, but WOIIFTM is close second

never got into zappa

i listened to willie the pimp once 10 years ago and hated it, am i missing out?

People know "Over-Nite Sensation" is top 5 Zappa, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=WyFCDCPPXYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RisSMHMfdcE
youtube.com/watch?v=q14WuDL4_D8
youtube.com/watch?v=KzVD5cv9wU8
youtube.com/watch?v=cGMwXu27TBk

Most of the songs are great. Better than Apostrophe.

No, not at all.

If I knew what you were into I could suggest a album, his discog his huge

I don't understand what this thread is about

Yes more rare Zappas, my phone has almost no Zappas

>The record that made me hate Frank Zappa
>Frank Zappa – Thing-Fish (1984)
I> have a healthy resentment for him. He had a great, acid sense of humour, but this guy, with all his technique and ability, never did anything that made me want to love music. I think he trained himself in his expertise to spite his parents; he had contempt for the rock music he played. And self-contempt. Fear, loathing and self-hatred. Thing-Fish just postured at nihilism.

Thanks, John. Continuing Lou's legacy.

Well, folks, this is what I like to call a "clusterfuck"

Top 5 IMO
>WOINIFTM
>Uncle Meat
>One Size Fits All
>Freak Out
>Burnt Weeny Sandwich

jesus. That's actually pretty helpful though

My Top 5
>Black Pages
>Stevie's Spankin'
>Zomby Woof
>Cosmic Debree
>Broken Hearts are for Assholes

Frank Zappa is lame, stupid, annoying fedoracore.

It's for 13 year olds that want to be wacky and different but are too dumb to do it in any interesting way (probably because they're 13) so they just opt for pseudo edgy bullshit that's "offensive" to some nebulous force, AKA no one in particular. In the end it just comes off as gross and tacky.

I can't get over the song "Goblin Girl", it is so gross and stupid I can't wrap my head around how anyone would think it's a good idea to make that song.

Those are my "thoughts" on this talentless fedoralord. I don't expect a rebuttal because his fans are idiots.

>he thinks people actually listen to Frank Zappa for his lyrics

I never used the word lyrics

Based Cale. Zappa really hated music, I don't even know why he even played music if he hated it so much

explain how is this in any way fedoracore
youtube.com/watch?v=D7VAOuIePVo

>holds up spork

Because it's vapid beyond style and the "style" can only be described as random bullshit that's different for the sake of being different.

13 year olds listen to shit like starbomb or minecraft parodies, not frank Zappa, I get you don't like him but it's tottally hack to tie a thing to a age to try to push your point that a thing is dumb and for kids.

>i don't like one song from the dozens of hours hours of material released across decades and wildly different genres

youtube.com/watch?v=CtkZxnkbjtI

No they don't faggot. I vividly remember being age 13 and being into weird edgy bullshit that I thought made me look cutting edge. That's the prime age when people are into le old cool dad artists.

what song?

>random bullshit
nigga what, that track is as far from "random bullshit" as you can get, it has a very clear structure and consistently developed musical ideas all the way through

Just happened to put on Lumpy Gravy 20 minutes ago, what's so good about this thing?

youtu.be/xDQI85umLiQ

idk but I fucking love it

I had a hard time getting into Zappa for years because I was recommended Hot Rats, Freak Out, and Overnite Sensation.

Weasels Ate My Flesh and Uncle Meat were a little better... but I was never blown away.
I finally heard Joe's Garage and I realized, actually Zappa got a lot better after all those albums. It's way more experimental actually, if you know anything about classical music. The attribution of "genius" really starts to mean something with Joe's Garage, whereas with the other albums it seemed more just really good. I might need to re-evaluate everything he did now though.

It pretty much renders Mr. Bungle obsolete.

Why is the album called Hot Rats?

Why is the album cover him peeking over the edge of an empty swimming pool?

>it has a very clear structure and consistently developed musical ideas all the way through
Which would be what?

There's a complete lack of flow and whatever it's trying to get across it fails at. It's music" is the only way I can describe it. I think it's supposed to be fun to listen to but it drags on until it's ear-bleedingly dry and it has absolutely no business being 9 minutes, everything it accomplished could have been gotten across in 30 seconds.

It's just bad.

What a twat. I love Cale but if you can't appreciate "Catholic Girls" then you need to get your fucking head checked. IMO. The humor might be a turn off, I don't know. Either way it's an astounding piece of music and there are lots lots more just like it. Maybe Cale was just too stupid to hear it.

frank zappa was literally r e d d i t the musician

>boring libertarian views
>lel so random XD edgy spork humor
>valued technical ability over conveying anything meaningful
>muh censorship

The guy could compose like a motherfucker, may be right in a way because half his audience is 14-15-year-olds who like zappa because he's "so random and weird and unique!!1!" (which is how I was when I started getting into him), but the other half is people who study music and see where the real talent is, not just from a composer's standpoint but also from a guitar player's.

He's my favourite guitarist and always will be, I've always enjoyed his music but never really "got it" until I started studying music.

You're a dumbo.

If you're going to take up real estate in this thread can you at least make an argument of some kind.

>Why is the album called Hot Rats?
>Why is the album cover him peeking over the edge of an empty swimming pool?
Completely irrelevant when talking about the music in the album

>There's a complete lack of flow
you make it sound like the song changes drastically for no reason which is absolutely not true, everything you hear in the song it's based on the same chords

It's ok if you dislike Zappa's music, but don't make up retarded unfounded justifications like calling his instrumental pieces "random bullshit" when he was clearly a very talented composer

You sound like irate gamer complaining trivial shit like about how the album art looks

>it's based
*is based
fucking typos

HE STINKS AND I DONT LIKE HIM

>out of all of his billion hours of guitar playing there's not a single moment where he plays something meaningful
It was all about masturbation with good ole Frank, makes sense since that's what his "humor" was all about.

zappa was one of the most talented composers in rock, and he used his abilities to create music that was extraordinarily ugly. if you can't appreciate that you're a faggot.

who are you quoting

*holds up spork*

Myself you fucking retard

you're not supposed to quote yourself you pretentious faggot, also nice opinion you got there m8

faggot

why are zappa fans so immature? i guess it's fitting considering they listen to sporkcore.

you're still a faggot

*holds up spork*

>Spouting memes while calling others immature

>uses the spork meme
>calls others immature
o i am laffin

>listen to these fart noises! Now listen to this dissonant guitar solo over this vaguely jazzy rhythm! And women? They fucking suck!
This is pretty much every Zappa song

wew lad that's some very broad and untrue generaliztions you got there

was zappa the godfather of spork music? i cant think of one spork artist that he didnt directly influence

This

He would be making anti-feminist and gamergate videos if he was alive in this generation

*plays a kazoo while some other guy plays tritones on a marimba in 5/4* The dog urinated on my moldy gravy *10 minute guitar solo*

lmao

>all posts about one minute apart
hmmm

Zappa's music is probably just going to sound better and better as time goes on. 200 years from now they'll still be listening to it. Let's just put it that way. Sorry, but nobody is going to still be listening to Drake or Beach House in 200 years. Period.

2/3 ain't bad

faggot

BEST SOLO: either joe's garage or hot rats

BEST WITH THE MOTHERS: we're only in it for the money

this may as well be fact

Zappa is weird for me. I like his music when I listen to it but I rarely have this urge to go listen to his muisc and the only standout album for me has been Hot Rats

Hot Rats is a personal 10/10

I feel like Apostrophe (') doesn't get enough recognition

>all the knee jerk reactions ITT

He's hit and miss with me but even with his stuff im not really into I can appreciate the slaving he did over it. Also, remember to put his humor and character into context of the time. He was a pretty original guy all things considered and maybe the first musician's musician?

apostrophe is a wonderful album but nobody wants to admit it because it's seen as his most popular and accessible work and people dont wanna risk their hipster brownie points

Has there ever been a more qt couple in music?

Over-nite Sensation and One Size Fits All are also really good

>Completely irrelevant when talking about the music in the album
The music is like that too.

The idea is that it's different for the sake of being different. There's no purpose.

>you make it sound like the song changes drastically for no reason which is absolutely not true, everything you hear in the song it's based on the same chords
Sure, but it doesn't sound like it's trying to accomplish anything.

The music basically just poofs into existence, goes on for 9 minutes with tasteless highs and lows that don't know why they're there and then it ends as quickly as it came.

They're both butt ugly

why are they in burnley

The whole purpose of pretty much all of Zappa's recorded output was to mix what was considered "high culture" and "low culture" music at the time. The way he intended to do this was by taking cues from rock, jazz and 20th century classical; the most obvious example being the Lumpy Gravy album.

There you go faggot, now stop calling his music purposeless, because it obviously isn't to anyone who's actually paying attention.

>implying you wouldn't huff her farts if given half the chance

One Size Fits All is probably the closest thing to enjoyment I've heard from him. The sounds are fun but seriously the composition is still crap and it drags on for so long it makes my ears bleed.

I can't help but feel this discussion would be better if it wasn't overemotional, filled with the use of the word "faggot" and seemingly for the purpose of beating one another into the ground and being "right"

You stupid faggots who don't like Zappa need to get your head checked. I don't always want to listen to it but if you can't appreciate it, maybe you have bad genes.

Is this one of the best live albums of all time?

Zappa must be the world's most famous arab!

I prefer Roxy & Elsewhere, still a pretty good choice user

Yeah I get it faggot. That doesn't make it good.

Sounds like fedoracore to me, weird and edgy for the edge of being weird and edgy to distract from the fact that it isn't interesting.

I don't know, but I fucking love the song Magdalena

>I get the purpose of the music but I'll say it's purposeless because I don't like it
Amazing argument you got there dude

>weird and edgy for the edge of being weird and edgy
memiest thing I've heard all day. Don't try to discuss music if you can't

>to me

So you admit it's your opinion

Why do we care about your opinion?

How is an instrumental Jazz Fusion piece edgy in any way
Holy shit you're not even making sense anymore

>vacuous buzzwords: the post

Alright boys, enough feeding the underage trolls, lets get back to business

Why did Frank dislike the Velvet Underground so much? I know he made fun of the Dead because he didn't like drugs, is that the same reason he picked on VU?

It's purposeless until somebody can explain what the purpose is supposed to be.

It doesn't matter. You're a faux-intellectual redditor, entertainment to you is just image but you're too dumb to realize that you just look like an insufferable child.

Mixing "low brow" and "high brow"

Congratulations I guess. It's about as entertaining as some gross explicit comic strip your grandpa would send you over facebook.

You say you get it but then you inmediately proceed to calling his music pointless in the same fucking post, so no, you don't fucking get it, stop pretending you do

Any Zappa fans Cardiacs fans?

beep beep best Zappa guitar solo coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=nUja5B8ei2U

I "get it", I just don't like it. It's gross and stupid.

>You say you get it but then you inmediately proceed to calling his music pointless in the same fucking post, so no, you don't fucking get it, stop pretending you do
Your argument makes no sense. I'm not coddling your lack of basic critical thinking skills.

bump