/wt/ - Shitter Free Zone Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of chronograph horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=BsZoAD4PnWA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

monochrome-watches.com/rolex-baselworld-2018-predictions-rolex-new-watches-2018/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well the day wheel no longer turns manually, the date still does. I have those parts, the chrono buttons still work so Hopefully I wont get worked over so badly.

Anyone know any reputable repairmen in burgerland?

Yeah I know, I know, but I regularly take the shit I get for defending them even though I'd never buy one of their watches because they have pursued a product rather than totally marketing driven direction, and I think they should be lauded for actually investing in watchmaking instead of just more and better marketing.

I really agree. I respect their movement designs and their movement finishing but they need more diversity in designs and they need to upgrade their external finishing.

Anything new in your collection this week /wt/?

>Well the day wheel no longer turns manually, the date still does.
Did you try to quick-set the date between 9pm and 3am? That's usually what causes that issue.

Pre ceramic PO 42mm on the way. I decided on that even though some here suggested a Pelagos. It was almost $1000 more than I wanted to spend for my every day.

No it's kinda hard to do that on the 4.5 becuase if has a 24 hour sub dial. I have the lever and the gear forthe day date wheel in the part bin I have.

WTC F-14

Post box. Pls no bully.

Huh, strange coincidence then, as that's usually what causes that exact issue, specifically on the day wheel but not the date wheel.

Anyway, in general I wouldn't assume that the quick-set mechanical is fucked or that you will necessarily need replacement parts as when this issue occurs due to advancing the quick set between 9pm and 3am, it's usually just a gear in the mechanism that slips it's teeth and disengages, so it can usually be fixed by a watchmaker by simply re-meshing the appropriate gears with no parts needed.

I would suggest asking on the vintage Omega forum for any independent watchmaker recommendations in your area. Or move to Southern Ontario kek.

Oris still has some nice things going.

damn
all shitters

ty senpai

The box costs more than the watches

Happy to help a fellow 176.0012 owner.

How should I send payment for your watches?

Real quick, have you managed to get a nato on it? I feel like the natos I have are too thick and would probably pop the spring bars off with the tolerances.

wtf were you thinking ?
>2 fossils
Both of them are garbage.
>casios
Only one or two is allowed.
>vostok
Shit case, shit bezel, dial is alright.

Left to right top to bottom
>why
>why
>not terrible
>shitty Casio beater
>shitty Casio beater
>shitty Casio beater
>shitty beater diver
>shitty Casio beater
>shitty Casio beater
>shitty Casio beater

Good evening wt

Grandpa and his kot

Unless you want one or more of my G-Shock 5610s, nowhere. The Presmatic is going to movement collector user and the rest aren't for sale.

Natos work fine so long as you put the strap against the case where you want it and put the spring bars in after, like on an LCD Casio.

Cool, thanks senpai. 20mm or 22? I know the lug to width is 22.

GIVE THE PRISMATIC TO ME

So I guess this is probably going back

22mm natos work fine. Old pic related.

I hope that it's magnetized or something, otherwise I'd be a little concerned about what that watchmaker did to it...

ty again

He only accepts hamburgers.

Easy now...the man has good taste in watches, and probably is a good baker...

Cheeseburgers, Mr. Lahey

I suspect he was just careless. I don't think I'll be bringing any additional work to him at this point that I care about.

Why don't you try actually posting watches and contributing to these threads instead of uselessly trolling and shitposting?

That's too bad. Reliable watchmakers are getting harder and harder to find.

At least he only charged 125 for the service, instead of the 300-400 I would have paid back in NYC

Is that the sign of water damage on the dial ?

Probably, yes. Stay away.

You get what you pay for

That has not been my experience with watch repair, honestly. My election is less than one year out from a 400 dollar service.

>the man has good taste in watches
>man
>good taste in watches

>You get what you pay for
It's not always that simple with independent watchmakers. Some of the best out there have archaic pricing structures.

One of the best in Southern Ontario, who several anons have used, charges 150 for servicing three handers and starts at 350 for chronographs. He knows he could charge more, he just doesn't want to.

>.the man has good taste in watches
HHAHAHAHAHAH he does not have a single attractive watch.

Watchlet and /cyb/ autist here, is the f-91w a good everyday watch? Never really worn one before.

We don't really consider it a good watch here.
But it shows the time v. accurately and can't be destroyed, so it's a good everyday shitter.

>We don't really consider it a good watch here.
GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*disappears from planet earth*

Did you fall into the end-link gaps?

So apparently Monochrome is predicting that Rolex is going to slim down their lugs on some models going forwards, ending the abomination that is the maxicase. Anyone know if they have any sources or are they just wishlisting?

monochrome-watches.com/rolex-baselworld-2018-predictions-rolex-new-watches-2018/

One can only hope they abandon the fat maxi lugs. Then bring back the circular brushing on the top of the lugs.

Makes sense.
Rolex get's to use less material on the watch, so it's cheaper for them to make.
But it looks better in the same time.
It's a win-win. Especially for the "I got the newest rolex" type of fuckers.

I don't understand....what is this watch? As in, what is it supposed to be? It looks so...round. Like a liver with cancerous cells....

Now now, there's nothing wrong with the Maxi lugs or case...doesn't everyone want to emulate the bulky Panerai cases?

There was one on ebay for like $1100 a week ago senpai, from Japan.. I think it was elady which is a reputable seller.

I may get one later in the year.

The death of maxilugs can't come soon enough. It makes the transition from lug to bracelet look too abrupt.

just ordered the middle one.

Vintage seiko user, what do you know about 5625 King Seiko High beats ?

>There was one on ebay for like $1100 a week ago senpai, from Japan

FUCK

It's one of the very few sub 39mm chronographs with a second time zone and date. Only one with a tegimented case and bracelet.

And even though it's a v7750, it's from Sinn. They adjust or at the very least put some effort into putting out a dependable product.

They go for under under $1500 these days, if you can find one.

They're like fucking unicorns and I am 100% convinced that Sinn is buying them all up so no one else can have it.

>It's one of the very few

Affordable, I should say.

Why don't you email Sinn, they might some info or idk. Worth a try, I suppose.

Cool...I had no idea. Aesthetics aside, it sounds like a good purchase if you need that size, and I've only heard good things about Sinn...so that's good too.

I've never seen one before...is it acrylic crystal? (the shape looks like one, but I'd guess it's probably an expensive sapphire crystal)

I want to check out my local watch shop but I'm afraid they're going to look down own my shitter watch and coheres me into buying some expensive luxury shit.

great choice

If you're wearing an Orient and worried about them judging you probably best to not wear a watch at all

>email Sinn
Don't forget to ask them to make a limited /wt/ edition 556 with hands and indexes in that utc colour

The 56xx was a Suwa Seikosha developed caliber that is known to have a strong tendency to eventually have the quick-set for the day and date fail because one of the gears in the quick-set mechanism was made out of a type of plastic that shrinks and cracks due to age. As a result of this most or all 56xx based movements with date or day/date complications can eventually be expected to have their quick-sets fail. Last I heard someone had started making metal replacements again, but I don't know who or where they are available.

Overall the 56xx should be considered a step down from the 52xx that was contemporaneously produced by Daini Seikosha as the 56xx was designed to be more of an upper mid-range movement rather than the true high-grade production automatic that the 52xx was. Also keep in mind that Suwa Seikosha did not have any emotional attachment to the King Seiko line and thus adjusted their King Seiko models to the adjustment specification that King Seiko models were supposed to have, and which was inferior to the Suwa Seikosha developed Grand Seiko standard (as by this point Seiko had chosen Grand Seiko be the top line for marketing purposes).

By contrast, as Daini had developed the King Seiko branding in the first place, and tended to be more autistic about movement accuracy, they tended to adjust their King Seiko models to a standard better than the paper specification as they never really accepted Grand Seiko being elevated above King Seiko. In particular, the King Seiko Special 52xx models were essentially adjusted to above Grand Seiko standards as Daini knew it was their last chance to develop a high-grade mechanical movement and would be important to their legacy.

Basically, if you want a Suwa produced model from this period i think you are better off with a Lord Marvel 36000 or a Swua developed Grand Seiko model (though expect amplitude issues with their GS automatics).

Can we also get them to put a red striped windy knob on it?

The 356 utc comes in acrylic. I don't know if they ever made a sapphire version.

The standard 356 comes in either acrylic or sapphire.

The 358 DIAPAL is sapphire, but that watch is in another league and the 356s only resemble it in shape.

Thank you, I’m not going to buy then.

Doubtful, but I will try

Yeah I was in between finding out the ceramic SM300 I got had a serial that Omega doesn't have a record of and deciding on the PO 42mm I ordered otherwise I would have been real tempted to impulse buy it. Next time I probably will.

Infact I sort of remember that I posted the ebay link into the thread when you posted about it.

add me to those epic quads

Good skeleton mechanical for under $1000?

>good skeleton
>under $1000
Pick one.

>good
>skeleton
There, pick one.

Do you eat a lot of McDonalds and high fructose corn syrup sodas?

m'lady

The only good skeletonization is hand done.

If you don't know what to look for all skeletonization looks like trash

Blancpain or Panerai for the next watch?

a watch is a representation of your lifestyle and/or whatever you're doing at that time... You might wear a sports watch when you're at the gym, you might wear a nice stainless watch if you're going to a dinner........ If you walk around with a 5k Jacob watch on because you saw it in a rap video you're a fag... You're not Dan Bilzarian stop trying to falsely elevate your status.....

I wear G-shock... you might say it's lame, or stupid or ugly.... BUT im a hardcore motherfucker that does hardcore shit all the time... I need a watch that takes abuse... I wake up, i hit the weights and then the treadmill... then im in the shower and off to work... Then im pounding nails, running jackhammers and crawling in attics... then i come home and might wrench on my quad or do some yard work... or i get drunk and roughhouse with friends... I would break a Rolex in 1 day... I'm not a champagne sipping fag that wears jewelry to show off... I'm a man and i like man shit

I hate skeleton fronts so much.

"What time is it?"
"uhhh...."

>I wake up, i hit the weights
Are you sure user?

>I would break a Rolex in 1 day
you stupid nigger

any watch hit hard enough to shatter sapphire will be ruined

>i hit the weights
>those bitch arms

asked the other day with no response.

what kind of features do I need in a watch winder? The one I have now you can set either clockwise our counter, and no control over number of rotations. Does it matter?

Doesn't matter

Now I'm ashamed of my G shock

Currently missing a Citizen Bullhead 8110A.
Otherwise, nothing new on the horological front for me.

Ever since I'd heard of the 56XX series of movements with that issue with the quickset date rocker, I've stayed far, far away from them.

I don't mind having to get pieces serviced, but parts replacement is an absolute nightmare.

But I've always wanted a hi-beat, so I've been looking at this 4502-7010 from a local seller for a while now. Tempting but a bit pricey at ~$400.

Thumb as think as wrist

My first watch has a 5606 movement, I found out about the flaw shortly before mine came in. Was a bitch getting the date from the 13th to the 3rd but as long as I keep it wound or at least advance it regularly (or wear it once a month I guess) it shouldn't be too big of an issue

Help me choose one for my slav shitter

Oh I feel your pain, the 6496 I have with me doesn't have quickset either. It's a nightmare when you wear watches on weekly rotations.
Understandably it's not a HUGE issue but when you know the watch has something wrong with it, it nags at you.

On the bright side it needs to get serviced anyway so I asked a mail in place about it and they said it'd be around $150 to get the watch serviced and the quickset fixed, which is what I was expecting just to get the watch serviced

Here's my bristol classic

Cheap think shit for me

Is this a pasta?

Anyone know any quartz watches with sapphire for under 100?

Who else waiting for a watch to arrive in the mail?

Worse, I'm waiting for payday so I can wait for a watch to arrive in the mail