How do you get another tech job?

How do you get another tech job?

Other urls found in this thread:

thebalance.com/list-of-information-technology-it-job-titles-2061498
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There is no such thing as a happy ending.

Try to be a car mechanic. Greasy hands, but people need you. Or try to be a plumber, shitty hands, but people REALLY need you.

Are you car mechanic or a plumber?

another tech job? like you lost yours and you cant use the experience from your first job to get another one?

Not OP, but I'm pretty burnt out and don't think I can pass those grueling whiteboard interviews. I guess I must either be dumb or average, but I've pretty much forgotten all those CS "fundamentals" from my undergrad and doing those puzzlers on a whiteboard would cause massive spaghettis everywhere.

still have a job, starting to feel like this is my last month though

you don't have to do whiteboard interviews to get a tech job. That really only applies to the huge companies and silicon valley. When I got hired at my current job, the most difficult question they asked me was how to make a table in html, and the rest was just seeing what kind of person I was and if I could work with a team.

I started low, but they wanted to keep me so now im 22k up in raises since then, not including several thousand dollar bonuses throughout the year. Whiteboard stuff is bullshit. Devs are in demand and that whiteboard stuff is mostly just an illusion to make it seem like you have accomplished something more than they have.

since I started my job, I started taking a stack of nootropics every morning and my quality of work and life has gone up tremendously. I take 3x800mg piracetam, 1x750mg oxiracetam, 300mg alpha gpc, sometimes 300mg adrafinil or 100mg phenylpiracetam (trying not to take too many racetams in one stack) followed by fish oil, L - Tyrosine, and Lions mane mushrooms.

There are days that it isn't a huge help, but every once in a while i get this rush where I can remember anything, everything feels crystal clear and I have zero fog when trying to visualize concepts. Before that I could barely hold a conversation because I would constantly be forgetting words like i had fucking dementia or something, but it has been incredibly beneficial to my work and life

What type of dev are in demand currently? Software or web dev?

Where do I get these remedies from? I could use bra8n boost.... I really need a lot of it. My eyes are so tired from looking at the monitor that I feel super sleepy all day even if I get 9 hours of sleep.
Help please...

How much does that cost though

I spend a hundred on them like once every 2-3 months. I get them from nootropic depot, its generally considered the most reliable. I've talked with the owner and they employ ex pharma employees and have a rigorous QA system

I do web dev. I work for a smaller startup, but the management all used to work at 3M and left to form their own company, so they are all incredibly experienced already. I hear a lot of startups fail due to lack of experience in management, so I'm pretty fortunate with these guys. Plus, they train us to work front and back end, so I have real world experience with everything from setting up databases and writing procs to designing and implementing server software and hooking it all up through a ui in js/cshtml

Christ. I can’t even remember what I had for tea last night.

just make sure you read before hand on everything to know what it is you are taking, and don't get phenibut. It's a russian anti-anxiety medication with an extremely quick tolerance build up and potentially life threatening withdrawl symptoms + it's addictive. They sell it like it's a neurotropic but it's absolutely not. Also I know piracetam is over the counter in america, but I think it may be perscription in parts of europe so you may need to figure out what is legal in your area

Hijacking thread real quick
What are some good tech jobs for a college student? By that I mean, weekend hours and what not (friday -> monday). I currently cook in a restaurant but I would rather something tech related (as I'm a comp sci major). I don't necessarily want a programming job but IT would do.

no, most IT people HATE blue collar workers. They spout TRADESCHOOL at any sign of technical or emotional incompetence.

I found a place that employed students for 25 hours a week at whatever time was convenient for you, which was a dream. Your best bet would be to ask around with your classmates. Look for ones that look tired or don't look like their parents are paying the bills. Otherwise, college faculties usually have need for people with comp sci experience, although I guarantee the people working at those will be serious dick heads. When you work permanently at a place where everyone is getting an education and passing you by, like college IT, you get really salty to anyone younger than yourself. I wrote up a resume to the college IT department saying, among other things, that I had some experience with Linux and the guy replied "saying you have 'some experience' in linux doesn't make you look good, we definitely dont need someone who has 'some experience'. come back when you have real experience" or some bullshit like that. No need to waste time working for someone as autistic as College IT. Two years later that "Some experience" is earning double his salary while he helps retarded people format hard drives, sounds really fulfilling.

lmao

Thanks Anons. I noted this information down and will look up if they have any side effects. I really want my energy back, you guys have no idea how bad it is. I even get so sleepy while driving because its so boring. Not to mention the yawns and the pain right above my eyebrows. Hate this shit so much...

how do I ace my upcoming panel interview for an IT internship? Its in a week and ive started prepping answers to questions like greatest weakness, strengths, tell me about yourself, why are you a good fit for this company, ...

Apply, friend. Just apply. Look at the people who you are competing with!

But I'm trying and I'm not going anywhere...

Fuck I hate this guy. He’s in fucking MALAYSIA

KEEP TRYING! You think Colonel Sanders started greenfrogging after a few failures?

Look at your competition. LOOK!

Hey man, what do you think i should do if i wanted an entry level job in IT? I live in a very small town and the job market is at an absolute disaster (South Europe). I'm close to being 30 years old and i have no experience, no degree and no high school diploma but i'm close to obtain that since i went back to take night classes, only one year left. I'd also like to go to uni after i'm done but i don't know if studying for another 5 years is a good choice. I'm already aware that i'm in deep shit but i'm not afraid to work very hard. I'm not interested in anything else so i can't go for IT i'm doomed to hate my work life forever. Any tips for an idiot? I've got an A+ but where i live it's basically worthless.

M A L A Y S I A

Thanks, my college has an IT thing in place but the guys that work there only make like 8.50 an hour and I can't pay my bills with 8.50 an hour and only ~25-30 hours a week. I would rather eat shit cooking for 14 an hour .. Would a hospital or something be an option? I know a lot of them are 24/7.

One hint for you, Luigi:
General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679

Businesses all over Europe are looking for DPOs and dudes to tell them how to secure their shit.

you need a healthy diet and exercise, not a handful of memes every morning

I have some copy/pasta for helping people with entry level programming jobs, if you like.

But IT is a very wide field, or which "programming" is a small portion. Take a look at the example:
thebalance.com/list-of-information-technology-it-job-titles-2061498

>networking
>support
>database
>sysadmin
>security
All of these are critical in IT, but are not proper programming. You might want to look into these if you like the non-programming part of IT.

Copy/pasta coming up next.

So you want a starting/junior programming job?

You MUST master the basics of programming, and be able to implement your programming knowledge using any language. That means solving problems without relying on any particular syntax. If you cannot separate programming syntax from programming concepts/algorithms, then you will need to go back and focus on the basics.

After mastering the basics, you want a starting job. Let us look at languages that will help you launch your programming career. And no, you will not be earning $300k/year when you are just starting, but you may do so if you persevere.

1- Java. Enormously popular, Java is everywhere, and everyone wants a Java developer. A must for Android applications.

2- Javascript. It runs most of the internet! A must for website developers, (with CSS and HTML.)

3- Objective C/Swift. The languages that power Apple gadgets. A must for iOS applications.

There are more languages in high demand, but they require more experience. Master the following to expand your horizons:

-SQL. Because data must get stored.
-C. Real programmers point to this language.
-C++. For classy, objective programmers.
-Python. For high-paying sssoftware engineering jobs.

>WHAT OTHER LANGUAGES ARE IN HIGH DEMAND?
Other than what was mentioned above: C#, Ruby, and PHP.

>I WANT TO WORK WITH HARDWARE DIRECTLY. WHAT LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Machine code. Good luck, friend.

>WHAT HUMANLY-READABLE LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Assembly. When it comes to programming, Assembly is the apex predator.

>I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE LATEST NEW MODERN not-a-fad LANGUAGES!
Take a look at Rust, Go, Hack, Scala, Julia, Dart, and Erlang.

>THOSE LATEST not-a-fad LANGUAGES WILL GUARANTEE A JOB, RIGHT?
No.

>I STARTED LEARNING [language x] BUT YESTERDAY MY [friend/lecturer/uncle] SAID TO SWITCH TO [language y]. WHAT DO?
You have already started, so stick. That other language will still be there when you are done with your current task.

Front-end webdev infographic.

Back-end webdev infographic.

Hope this helps someone.

>you lost yours
Bitch, I quit because my boss tried to write me off as an independent contractor and not pay my overtime.

>Luigi
How?
>Businesses all over Europe are looking for DPOs and dudes to tell them how to secure their shit.
Thanks for the tip, i'm going to look into it.

>You might want to look into these if you like the non-programming part of IT.
Thank you. That's another problem for me, i'm not sure in which field i'd like to go because i really have no idea of what to expect in a real working environment but at the moment what attracts me the most is sysadmin. Networking and security also seem pretty interesting but my opinion is only based of what i've read and understood.
>You might want to look into these if you like the non-programming part of IT.
I will need to learn how to program anyway because it's a valuable skill right? I will start to study a programming language anyway. Thanks a lot for the useful info, i really appreciate it.

I exercise every day and my calories are 1500 with high protein.
It just doesn't help.

Probably you're suffering from adrenal fatigue

I graduated with computer engineering degree in May, said fuck it over the summer and tried to make money repairing reselling vintage 80s synthesizers that soyboys drool for over on Sup Forums, I made some money, learned some stuff, but it wasn't enough.

I then decided to learn web Dev (my classes NEVER touched anything remotely frontend, the core CPE classes used C++, C, Java, 68k, MIPS, and VHDL), got some cringey udemy course on tpb, and banged that shit out in like a week. I managed to get some "clients" (family/friends who needed a website) that I am finishing up.

Once January came around, I finally said fuck it, I want the cushy job with healthcare and 401k and whatever. I havent applied to more than 5 positions and I've interviewed (in varying degrees) at 3 of these.

In one screen-interview (start-up, awful HR communication and scheduling, already could tell people here hated their lives), this HR lady was like "uh... So, what have you been doing?" and I gave her my answer above and she said "huh, lucky you".

I know I've wasted time, I wish I took the offer I got out of college to make money THEN fuck all do my own shit, but is my situation unreasonable? Am I actually fucked?

The job market's pretty brutal these days, even mid-level software engineers are having a hard time finding a position

Then why am I seeing all these job listings on Indeed/LinkedIn/AngelList?

1500 might not be enough. do you sleep well? don't listen to this fucking memer either for the general intelligence of people in technology, you would think less of them would fall for pseudoscience bullshit

Thank you for this. Usually people are interested in my path (I'm an ok speaker/interviewee and think I come across as honest/interesting most of the time), but this one interaction got me fucking pissed. Oh well, hope you enjoy your dime-a-dozen data startup.

Those are going to the internals anyways.

>Indeed
>LinkedIn
>Angel list

Do people apply for these jobs? I thought they were basically free advertising for the companies.

Ironically, if you suffer from adrenal fatigue, you need to quit consuming caffeine and stop with intense exercise (only moderate walking). I've tried that BS with "just lift bro" advice for all these years at the company gym and it's only burned me out.

>I havent applied to more than 5 positions and I've interviewed (in varying degrees) at 3 of these.
You will be hired in a week or two. Apply to more places.

To compare yourself to others: Roughly 90% of people who apply do not get called for a phone interview, never mind a real face-to-face interview.

Then where the hell should I be applying then?

Assume I'm a massive faggot and come from a situation with ZERO connections and only know that I'm supposed to apply to jobs. How do I use what I know from my CS degree to get a programming job?

>Do people apply for these jobs?
Lots.

Thanks man, I appreciate your advice. HR lady probably just didn't like me.

I've got an interview in 6 hours, hopefully good things to follow.

Best of luck to you, user.

How are you in IT and not being offered jobs left right and center.
Companies are literally contacting me every week. And I've only been doing this for 7 years

Basically, start from connections. Talk to anyone you can about what you WANT to be doing, if they are your friends, they might be able to connect you with someone in that field. If you went to uni, get your shit together and try to network the alumni. They are NOT going to give you a job, SO DO. NOT. ASK. (I can tell this is going to be hard for you, you seem very whiny).

Ask them for more contacts, research open positions at the companies they work for, THEN reach back out to them and let them know that you liked talking to them and sparked your interest in their company, and want to apply for a job there. If they feel comfortable (aka if you weren't an aspie and they liked you) they will want to help, whether its putting them as an internal company contact or even tips/suggestions for resume, interview, basically whatever you need. This is how you get your application to the top of the pile.

The applying online is a numbers game; in other words, don't play it.

Thank you! I have one more quick question (if you don't mind):

The jobs I am applying for are pretty open-ended entry level programming roles, and in interviews I get "well we have a lot of openings in different areas, front, back, full stack... What are you interested in?" And honestly, I don't really give a shit what I am interested in, I want the best job that fits my skills and will allow me to grow what knowledge I already have.

Is there a right/wrong answer to this question? Again, same pissy HR lady asked me this question, when I asked to hear more about the positions, she didnt seem to want to talk about them and rattled off random dev positions and some stacks.

Very few people are fully competent in all areas of programming. Some prefer front-end, some prefer back-end, some prefer tinkering with dbs. Make the interviewers life easier, and say:
"If given a choice, I prefer working in [x]. I am good in [y] and [z] if [x] is not available."

If you want the job, google the company, and read the job ad. Does the company do Android games and the job ad says "Java developer"? Then you want to go to the interview and say "I have a lot of experience in Java, and in game development. [This] is my game on the Android store!"

Similarly, if the company has a crappy site and the job ad says "Web developer", then you want to go in and say: "Hi! I know HTML, CSS and JS, including [x] and [y] frameworks."
>[x] and [y] are written in the job ad, remember?
And then you continue: "And [here] are the websites that I have developed!"

This assumes that you have the skills needed. If you do not have the required skills but you still want the job: Start studying.

So basically just reconnect with some people I haven't seen since graduation (about two years) and try to not be autistic?

>Ask them for more contacts
How should this be phrased?
>Hey dude, it's been great that we were able to chat together. I'm really interested in what you do over at X. Would you be willing to introduce me to your team sometime?

>The applying online is a numbers game; in other words, don't play it.
I figured as much.

I do actually have autism and can hold a conversation very well, but I still catch myself being an autist during a conversation from time to time.

>The applying online is a numbers game; in other words, don't play it.
Take that advice with a grain of salt. Posting your resume/CV online is free, and applying for jobs on [job search].com is also free. Sure, you will be a small voice in a large crowd, but if your resume is good, you will get a call.

Thank you for adding this; the idea is to be doing these things simultaneously.

Exactly this. Glad to know I'm not totally fucking up then.

I've finished up implementing, testing, and benching a patch that includes two post-quantum handshakes for tor using the isogeny library submitted to the NIST PQC competition. Have a full writeup and everything.

I hope to fucking god this gets me a job at some local defense contractor.

I don't want to work for the NSA.

pray for me friends

it'll all come out in the wash. god bless, user.