Blatant disregard of democracy

On the 14th of September, 70 years ago, a majority of the faroese people chose in a referendum that the Faroe Islands should become an independent nation.

50,7% in favour

49,3% against

However, this democratic majority was not respected by the dane. The Faroese parliament was dissolved and unionist came into power.

Other urls found in this thread:

dst.dk/Site/Dst/Udgivelser/GetPubFile.aspx?id=20196&sid=faro
da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaksvíkstriden
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Faroes were a county back then though with no real self-governance. Of course the king blocked it.

t. violent communist oil hiding oppressor

we had already been independent when denmark was occupied. The opposition against faroese independence is nothing more than denmark trying to hang onto its small dying empire.

Post vocaroo

Werent the faroese basically independent after we left during ww2 like iceland?

We were basically independent during the war, but danish authorities managed reestablish control against the will of the people after the war.

Why did iceland get indepedence but not the faroes?

At least you have own flag on Sup Forums, what else would you want?

Maybe they and Greenland had too small of a population so they used that as an excuse to keep them

denmark had always showed repect to icelands people and culture and they had aldready been independent in all but name for 2 decades.

dunno, decide our own foreign policy among other stuff.

we have a lot of debt to settle before you can claim independence young man!

What debt?

the money we have been pumping into your country for decades

we have given you international relevance in the north Atlantic and arctic regions, that is worth a lot more than 40 000eur each year.

yes but that relevance disappears once you claim independence, hence we need some economic incentive to allow you to do that

dst.dk/Site/Dst/Udgivelser/GetPubFile.aspx?id=20196&sid=faro

here is some statistics for you, check it out if you understand danish

>eri loysingarmaður

>at vera föroyskt hannreiur

you are already gaining more than you give us, just from trade alone. If anything we should demand reparations for the illegal occupation and efforts to destroy faroese culture and language.

>eri sambandsmaður

what are we gaining exactly?

What?! Faroe Islands are a Danish colony and they don't even speak the same language? Freedom for them now!
kek wtf Denmark, so you have the balls to complain about refugees while having a colony?
Such hypocrisy.

>If anything we should demand reparations for the illegal occupation and efforts to destroy faroese culture and language.
Pretty cringy 2bh

Faroese was for centuries an irrelevant language spoken by 5,000 or so peasents. Of course Danish was used in the government, schools and church. Faroese didn't even have a written language, because 99% of Faroese people were illiterate. Denmark never actively tried to destroy Faroese culture or language, the king just wanted his tax money and didn't give a shit about anything else. Faroese republicanism is also not even 100 years old. People 200 years ago just went about their day and never thought the Faroe Islands should be independent.

actually we have two, inbred island norwegians and drunk suicidal asians

money from trade, and that wont change if freedom comes.

>being faroese

How does it feel to be a living meme?

You mean the annual ~$100 million (could be considerably less at this point) while we spend about $1.6 billion importing from Denmark
it's very okay

Aren't those islands just kept alive by Danish/EU money, like Greenland?

>Denmark never actively tried to destroy Faroese culture or language
it was literally illegal to use faroese in schools and churches, people lost their jobs because of it. Faroese names were also illegal, only danish allowed.
one of the first things that happend when you took over control from norway, was to close the faroese parliament that had been used over a thousand years and demote us to a danish county.
It also took foreign intervention to allow our flag to be accepted.

yes thats what im trying to tell this fucking idiot

Faroe is rightful Norwegian clay

Daily reminder that nothing is holding back the Faroese from being independent tomorrow, if that's what they wished

Daily reminder that Denmark helped them with ressources when they had a beef with the EU

Daily reminder that the Faroese got the exact same opportunities as Danes, including studying abroad for free, and even getting paid

That's what the Danish like to tell themselves

dansih subsities are just 4% of our economy, a negligible amount

this

faroese are literally the bastard children of norway, who we are stuck babysitting

True, but when you were down we paid for your roads, hospitals and schools.

You make enough money to take care of yourself, but if you believe in the global world, you will need the resources and experience Denmark has.

We pay for police coming up to you, to enforce your own ruling.
We help you in foreign disputes

What more is it that you want? You don't like the Queen come visiting once a year or what?

"Intervention" is an understatement; we only had the opportunity after having completely cut the connection with Denmark, and then they had to find a middle ground for our rights post-war so there wouldn't be more of an uproar.

even the wife of the prime minister is faroese ffs

Faroes should be ours desu

>Daily reminder that nothing is holding back the Faroese from being independent tomorrow, if that's what they wished
danish politicians are doing everything to make that as hard as possible, they wont let a smooth transition to independence happen.
>Daily reminder that Denmark helped them with ressources when they had a beef with the EU
Faroese fishing vessels weren't allowed into danish and eu harbours. Your leaders might have talked, but their actions only shows that they care more about brussels than their own union.

Storbritannien should be ours desu

>their actions only shows that they care more about brussels than their own union.
We're the kid in class who sits up front and doing everything the teacher says.

Aka. we follow the fucking law, even if it's stupid af

I personally don't think we're completely fit to be independant as long as we're relying as much on exporting fish as currently, but I think the doomsayers around here are just being shitters.

Seriously, when we're demanding more money, blame our politicians instead of us. We're trying to cut down on the money we get so things will go slowly.

Margrethe is a nice lady, though, although having a monarchy in this day and age.

Yes, Lokke is a great Faroese ally.

>Margrethe is a nice lady, though, although having a monarchy in this day and age is pointless*

you know, the queen and royal family only visit when nationalist sentiments are high

???

>a nice lady
you will address her majesty correctly

I support any separatist movement you might have.

BTW you can feed yourselves without Denmark, right?

>Yes, Lokke is a great Faroese ally.
lel, he is doing everything to maintain the status quo, he is blocking every smal step towards more selfgovernence.

Well if it really has such large support like you say then how about you orchestrate an armed uprising then. It's unlikely that Danes will fire upon Faroese civilians, they will probably have to conceded independence or at least higher autonomy

>8 year budget deficit
>republicans want to cut the economic aid even more
HÁFOSS THE ABSOLUTE MADWOMAN, SHE ACTUALLY DID IT

There is literally nothing stopping them for voting for independence.

Yes, exactly.

lel faroese armed uprising

da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaksvíkstriden

What's happening? Is this something America should get involved in?

hahaha, there actually was in the 50s,

There is no oil involved

>it was literally illegal to use faroese in schools and churches, people lost their jobs because of it. Faroese names were also illegal, only danish allowed.

I hate this shit. French, Brits, Germans, Russians and Dutch have done the same thing in the post. Have some respect for your local kinfolk minorities (used in the true European sense) and perhaps they won't hate your guts for generations to come.

Are you sure? Can we put a base there just in case?

great times. armed uprising, boat filled with explosives blocking entrance, assassination attempts with bombs and drive bys.

that would never happen today tho

i think that would be a great idea america

How are you exactly going to use Faroese in schools when there's not a single book written in that language? Even today, nearly all school material past 6th grade is in Danish. The church was also Danish and so all Faroe Islanders were baptized with a Danish Christian name. The priest was Danish, couldn't speak Faroese and there wasn't even a written language for it. My grandmother was born after the Faroese became the church language, but her full name is still Danish. She only goes by the Faroese equivalent of her middle name though. It's a naming custom that has slowly been replaced. Faroese people have in daily life always gone by their Faroese name.

If the people speak a variant called Faroëse on an isolated island, it is best to make them bilingual instead of trying to eradicate their own native culture. It is percieved as an act of hostility.

A written faroese standard had existed since 1860s, but didn't get official use until 1938.

Most teachers and priests have always been faroese. It wasn't just the danish used as written language in schools, it was illegal for teachers to speak faroese to students in class. And classes for learning faroese orthography weren't allowed.
Faroese priests weren't allowed to have sermons in their native language.

The weak should fear the strong >:^)

Do the majority of modern Faroese people support independence?

Also does it frustrate you that so many Faroese women are moving to Denmark with no plans to ever return home?

independence parties always get around 60% each election. From those numbers we can guess that 60% want independence.

I wouldn't say I find it frustrating as much as I find it understandable. This place is nice, but it doesn't have much, so most people want to go on vacation frequently to experience something else. Now, one major issue with this is that our only airport's ticket prices are so asinine and inconvenient to get that people choose not to return; this includes the men as well.

And most of us end up studying in the colleges in Denmark anyway, so at least there's some more relatable company to meet around there.

>Faroese fishing vessels weren't allowed into danish and eu harbours. Your leaders might have talked, but their actions only shows that they care more about brussels than their own union.
This x 100! We really showed our true colours. If we where sincere about a brotherly union we would have told brussels to fuck off, instead we blokaded our own countrymen and took orders from EU like a dog. This case made me change my mind in regard of faroese independence they deserve far better then our retarded country.

Are klaksvig people still this cracy?

>If we where sincere about a brotherly union
Your country has literally never cared about your "brotherly" "unions".
Why would it change now?

Can't you push this to find a compromise in some way, like a confederacy? What we learned as Flemings was to push for maximal cultural autonomy. Since then (abolishment of unitarism in 1970, officially in 1993) both us and the country has been running much better.

To separate completely would be cutting in our own fingers, let alone to join up with the Dutch who we have little in common with save the language (and this only after decades of standardisation). After all the Walloons are our kinfolk, and although they speak a different language they are culturally most close to us.

So what I mean is, push for maximal regional and cultural autonomy, for be friends after that and as two entities/nations with your identity and culture recognized you can build up a nation together in a way from which you both profit.

What is Faroese opinion on Vocaroo?

Very few people vote based on the party's stance on independence. Only Sambandsflokkurin, Framsókn and Tjóðveldi have an official stance on independence. Miðflokkurin is split in half (literally), most of Fólkaflokkurin only want homerule, Nýtt Sjálvstýri wants to maintain the status quo, Javnaðarflokkurin is generally unionist but form the government with two separatist parties.

I'd say it's closer to 50%, but there are no polls on it as far as I know.

wtf? i hate denmark now!

You don't get a say when it comes to colonies and tyranny faget

always have been

Hefur þú séð Eiðurinn?

nei, ein filmur? hví?

Því ég er að velta fyri mér hvort íslenskar kvikmyndir séu sýndar í færeyjum

noy, hann og aðrir Íslendskir filmar verða ikki sýndir í Föroyum.

>urin
gets me everytime

Eg haldi, at foreldrini hjá mær hava sæð hann

Isn't Denmark the only colonial power left due to Greenland? I think that's as far as it goes in the UN organs.

no

no, Faroes and Greenland aren't in UN list of colonies, because Denmark declared them an integral part of denmark.

>couldn't speak Faroese

Weak. We forced priests in Finland to learn Finnish and that language is 1000000 times harder to learn.

They didn't want priests to speak faroese, they wanted everyone to speak danish.

Chr. Ployen learned and spoke Faroese

That is why he is the only danish bureaucrat anyone knows the name of. But it doesn't change the fact that denmark had a policy of assimilation.

wtf i hate denmark now

[vantandi kelda]

source for what?
If they didn't have a policy of assimilation, then they wouldn't have undermined faroese until the late 30s

IT'S HAPPENING LADS

1948 ALL OVER AGAIN

it's a unionist site, so it is their favour