Is this a good environment for a first time linux user?

Is this a good environment for a first time linux user?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.gnome.org/aday/
wiki.gnome.org/Design
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=VERIFIED&keywords=AffectsTails&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=275075&query_format=advanced
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its not good for anybody

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

No. Use pic related instead.

Yes very intuitive don't let those KDE lovers here tell you otberwise

No. Use a desktop environment instead. Xfce, KDE, Budgie.

use a wm like dwm

Based
Based
Based
Cringe
Based
Cringe

>first time linux user
>dwm
bruh

Don't act like what people call Linux can only be GNU/Linux, there are alternatives to GNU like bsd userland.

But logically there is no alternative to the Linux kernel when you want to use Linux.

OP you faggot just install a bunch of them and see what you like best.

how will you explain to him that kde is such a hacked together ugly piece of shit when he comes back and complains about it? might as well recommend gnome

>A FOOKIN FOOT

It's not 2014 anymore, every old meme about KDE now only applies to GNOME.

"the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added", are you sure of the order?

Don't be delusional seriously ...

yes it's nice, it has it's cons but overall it's alright and is super stable [no crashes]
enable auto login to reduce ram used

everyone with any taste instantly will prefer gnome default aesthetics over kde aesthetics, i don't like gnome but kde looks so fucking shit, just look at the clock

it depends on what you're switching from...

if you've only used tablets or phones, then it might not be too bad

if you're switching from desktop OSes like macOS or Windows 7 or 10 it might be rougher and other ppl likewise suggested KDE or Cinnamon instead

if you're switching from an older interface like Windows 7 or XP, try MATE or Xfce instead.

it really depends on what your experience is.

yes, it's fine. constant stream of releases they put a lot of thought in ux side of things.

blogs.gnome.org/aday/
wiki.gnome.org/Design

kde is kind of a mess, but tolerable.

mate is cozy and for you if you want to feel like you're using something along the lines of windows 2000 (which is not a bad thing).

budgie desktop seems like a somewhat sensible fork of gnome, may want to try that one out.

pantheon (elementary os) is kind of a red haired stepchild with downs syndrome carrying a macbook.

xfce, lxde, depends on how minimal on resources you want or need to go.

tiling vms is when you have the time, grown a bit of beard and gained excess weight.

*tiling WMs [...]

>Muh clock
Takes 10 seconds to change it to an acceptable size.

> dwm
OH NO NO NO NO

Just get cinnamon.

Ewwww

What's wrong with the clock?

>ricing

just get something like the dash to panel extension,arc menu and you're good to go
stock gnome is unusable garbage

What's the one on the right side of your picture senpai? I recently installed Ubuntu (Linux newfag), can I use it in that distro?

>I see you're running GNOME

Yes. Sup Forums is currently hating a lot on Gnome, so you will get 90% negative replies on this. Get familiar with your system by using Gnome. In a few years, when KDE finally uses wayland properly, switch to Plasma. Until then, use Gnome.

it's stock gnome (not ubuntu poobrown 17.10 modified variant) + appmenu window title, dash to panel, no title bar, no toplet hot corner, screenshot tool, weather, sensory perception, mconnect extensions. find out how to set up (stock) GNOME on your distro and use GNOME Tweaks to manage that shit.

If you're familiar with Windows, Cinnamon should be the easiest DE to get used to.

I see nothing wrong with the clock.

>Yes. Sup Forums is currently hating a lot on Gnome, so you will get 90% negative replies on this
Could it be for valid reasons? Haters gonna hate, right?
bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=VERIFIED&keywords=AffectsTails&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=275075&query_format=advanced
>Until then, use Gnome.
And while you wait for those years to pass learn every filename you can, instead of using a desktop environment with a proper file picker?

>kde is kind of a mess, but tolerable
It's not 2014. anymore, although it seems GTK developers have given up 14 year ago.

why do you post riced desktops? this is a beginner looking for a good de out of the box

How do people get Plasma to look this good? Any tutorials on ricing Kwin?

>absolutely trivial bullshit people outside of Sup Forums won't even notice

Sup Forums started hating on Gnome when one or a few shills started spreading stuff about arrogant Gnome devs. After that, there were some organized threads to force their point of view to spread the hate. Yes, Gnome has bad points, even more than you cite, but at least they implemented Wayland session in a stable fashion. KDE doesn't have that yet.

I have no idea of what gnome is or does sorry

just follow the GUI user

>absolutely trivial bullshit people outside of Sup Forums won't even notice
>File picker
>Trivial
I'm sure everyone who's used Linux wanted to memorize filenames most of all.

>Yes, Gnome has bad points, even more than you cite, but at least they implemented Wayland session in a stable fashion. KDE doesn't have that yet.
Who cares about Wayland? They've consistently been removing features and a proper file picker hasn't been implemented for 14 years. Someone should've taught GTK developers about priorities, among other things.

i'm sorry if your mouth is foaming and in case you're really close to kde, consider that last time i tried a stable version like 6 or so months ago, there were things like disappearing shell elements, such as window decorations and taskbar, rendering it unusable. it was also a bit pain in the ass to make it look halfway decent with the mix of stock icons and themes and a flat color wallpaper. i don't feel like putting more effort into fixing all that, especially when i just want to install an os to use and move on with my day.

as someone who has come from windows conformity, i'd argue that it's one of the things that Qt has it right. i can tolerate dropping in files from nautilus or whatever gtk file manager, but it's not that great when you have a folder with thousands of images saved from every place on the interwebs.

windows explorer is probably the most decent file manager along with file picker dialogs out there. everything on linux feels a bit stripped down or backwards in one way or another.

Someone doesn't know the difference between a file picker and a file explorer/manager.

I care about Wayland and so should you. Once wayland-sessions are properly implemented I will ditch Gnome for good. But until then, I can't endorse KDE-Plasma over Gnome. This file picker thing might be something that bothers you, but clearly it didn't bother people enough to fix it.

See, I care about screen tearing a lot more than this. I'm using Plasma on this machine and I can't fucking scroll without raping my eyes. Wayland eliminates that and it needs to work in KDE asap. It works in Gnome. For normies, like OP, who shouldn't be bothered with any of this, I'd always recommend Gnome until Wayland works in KDE. After that, fuck Gnome.

What hardware do you have? Most people don't get tearing on KDE running on X.

GeForce G210M, running with Nouveau

I might have found a fix already, but I'm still testing it.

>reported in 2004
Are you telling me that in 14 years no one has come with a fix? not even an unofficial one?

Read the page. There have been a few attempts to provide a fix but the developers haven't accepted them. It's all about those fuckers.

Are other GTK-based DE affected with that bug? If they are, why they don't patch it themselves?

I don't actually hate DWARF like many people here, but no — no, it's not good for newbies at all. Look at Xfce for a start; KDE if you have enough resources.

I think all the GTK-based DEs are affected and they're probably waiting for GTK devs to patch it so they don't have to fix it again every time there's an update.

How do I get comment replies sorted like that on 4chinz?

>He needs a File Picker
KeK

Considering that after 14 years the bug is still present I think patching GTK by themselves is a better idea.
4chanX

Because the code contributed has ben trash, that's because, it is good they have quality standars

Unofficial fixes have been released and they either don't compile or break the system (it requires glibc to be recompiled). I have tried it myself.

>He needs a File Picker
>KeK
I don't go out of my way to remember filenames. I'm not a mental.

You don't need to remember file names you retard.

>You don't need to remember file names you retard.
Then what do I do if I for some reason happen to have more than one file per folder? Resize my file explorer until I have to scroll down for minutes to find what I wanted to upload?

It is the same with a File Picker, you are just inventing problems.

>It is the same with a File Picker, you are just inventing problems.
Not to mention that the lack of a proper file picker isn't the only result of incompetent GTK developers.

Funny how the only ones complaining about the File Picker are not even using GNOME or any GTK DE, thay have nothing better to do than complaine, but even with a "faulty" File Picker, GNOME is still the BEST Linux DE, the standar Linux DE.

>Funny how the only ones complaining about the File Picker are not even using GNOME or any GTK DE, thay have nothing better to do than complaine, but even with a "faulty" File Picker,
I have used Gnome and Cinnamon for years.
>GNOME is still the BEST Linux DE, the standar Linux DE.
You won. Have a sage now. Happy?

>I have used Gnome and Cinnamon for years
Not as your main DE, I bet that
>You won. Have a sage now. Happy?
Looks like you can't handle the truth

yes, there are no better DE

>GNOME is still the BEST Linux DE, the standar Linux DE.
Only RedHat shills unironically believe this.

>Not an argument

What truth? You are defending incompetence and a removal of features. Which other desktop environments had that?

>removal if features
The deprecation of legasy crap nobody use or shouldn't be using takes balls, specially with so many trolls in the wild, GNOME is the most brave Linux DE.

You had us, I have to admit it.

Not an argument

use typeahead selection and give your files sensible names

Too late for that, I haven't used a GTK based distro in years.

I was right

No, it's slow and clunky. Try cinnamon, xfce or MATE.

So, if I was to choose Gnome right now all the removed features are there and a proper file picker is implemented? Oh, wait, I don't need any of those.

You would be blessed using the best Linux DE and know that is way better to drag and drop from nautilus than use a file picker, you would have evolved as a Linux user

>KDE. Raping your fonts since 2008.

>opening a separate window on purpose

And what is file picker if not a separate window?

Wait for the next big release of Budgie and move to that.
In the meantime, just use KDE Plasma.

Switch to qt does not mean automatically fixed filepicker, you know. LXQt is still the same old shit.

Is the Unix philosophy, use a different program or unit, dont' repeat your self.

Budgie will continue using GTK applications, only the Shell will remain Qt
KDE Plasma is unstable POS crap, do not use it

Why did they decide to retire GNOME 2 and KDE 3?

Does budgie have an alternative to krunner or is it still unusable trash?

Some times, it is more fun to start over and do things differently.

>it's ok to totally fuck up all progress made because "it's fun"

Another thing to add to my list of defenses of Linux that are also why it'll never be taken seriously.

I don't know about GNOME, but I know the reason KDE3 was retired is becuase it depends on Qt and Qt3 was deprecated in favor of Qt4 and KDE4 was deprecated because Qt4 was deprecated in favor of Qt5, if Qt5 in the future becomes deprecated by Qt6 then you will get a new KDE, sucks to depend on a propietary toolkit like Qt, GNOME doesn't have this problem.

I mean, there is probably a more adult answer, but it is clear if you observe something like KDE that people only do what they think is fun.
The change to kde4 was a huge change, one major change was using opengl for the graphics.
GPU accelerated desktops was just the way forward from then on.

Yeah, it's not like GNOME devs are working on a new toolkit

Plasma 5 have moved from using the kde fork of qt4 to use more qt5 features.
If they disagreed with qt6,7 or whatever, they would probably just go back to having their own fork.

niggers

Is called GTK4
>they would probably just go back to having their own fork.
They are too incompetent to maintain something like Baloo and Akanodi, I doubt they will be competent to maintain a fork of Qt.

There was various version of their toolkit then they moved to gnome2 then gtk2 got deprecated and moved to the flamant shit that is gnome3
>b-but a-akonadi!!!
gnome would wish having that problem instead of the shit desktop they have now