Why does windows performance degrade so much over time?

Why does windows performance degrade so much over time?

The registry?

The registry.

What if you use some tool like CCleaner to fixup the registry every now and then?

The registry!?

>caches and temp file that constantly pop up and vanish
>subsequent fragmentation of the disk
>hdd are incredibly slow at random access
The registry is a meme and virtually pointless both functionally and performance wise.

>hard drives getting old
>drive fragmentation
>bloatware
>poorly implemented windows updates
>the registry

So is Microsoft basically trying planned obsolescence by making dumb customers buy a whole new windows key instead of reinstalling their current windows or what. They must be smart enough to understand this flaw

Just put the OS on an SSD and if you feel it got slow just do a fresh install of the OS or buy another SSD.

Why does Windows never stop writing on the disc as a related question.

Also, any other updates beyond window 7 service pack 1 are a complete waste of time and of no importance.

It is indexing the other discs, for quicker searching reliability. I often have that happen, computer is idle and all of a sudden all my hard discs will start to spool up.

Sounds like you need a RAM cleaner

They make so little money off of individual windows licenses that's a no.. They make money from Windows by selling to computer manufacturers. The issue is Windows is so fucking bloated and complicated that even the programmers can't possibly implement everything perfectly.

It doesn't if you take proper care of it. I reinstalled after a couple of years this month and there was no noticeable boost, because I didn't shit up the old installation in the first place.

1) registry fuck ups
2) more software being installed that runs services, so even when you're not using the actual software it's still using your RAM and CPU (java uodate service, etc)
3) more software also means more opportunities for malware that people try to sneak in by making it look like part of a licensing agreement for installing the software you actually wanted.

And pre-Vista/7/8/8.1/10 you also had severe NTFS fragmentation because no one ever defragged until their machine was already running shitty.

oh gosh this is so annoying
*brrrr brr brrrrrrrr brrr brrr br brrrrrr*
LEAVE THOSE POOR DISKS ALONE REEEEE

They use dumb filesystems that get fragmented over time
They use a retarded initialization, service and settings system that runs more and more random programs over time, and requires more and more memory
Useful programs need admin permissions to do real work and fuck it all up from time to time
Drivers are a bloated mess that at least has to work to get certified, before w7 drivers didn't work half the time

Stop using CCleaner

Why, it's clean now.

Microsoft makes most of it's money by patent trolling. (((extortion)))

Have you ever bought a new deck of cards? Now try touching/counting Ace through King of each color one by one.

Now shuffle the deck once. Do the whole counting-touching again. Then shuffle the deck few more times and try again.

Which one was fastest and slowest? That's basically whats happening to Windows.

>before w7 drivers didn't work half the time

Weren't Nvidia's drivers responsible for absolutely shitloads of Vista BSoD? I mean even by the standard of Vista.

I personally have to thank vista for existing - it made me ragequit windows and move to linux for about 5 years straight.

i think its updates

i have a windows 7 image from 2009 on 64gb SSD. Its unupdated. No antivirus. Connected to the internet. Its my music production machine. I have other (linux) computers but i use it daily and actually it has become quiet a game to see how long i can keep this original install going for.

I havent really noticed it slow down, It is an i7 but yeah for the past decade i just used tune up utilities registry clean and registry defrag and auslogics ssd defrag.

I think this good run is mainly due to logging in as a USER and NOT ADMIN.

>SSD
that's why

You can disable the indexing, I don't remember how but I there was some option when I was installing my OS disc.

Use an ssd or short stroke your HD for the OS if you have one.
Place data on separate drive or partition
Stop using malware
Stop installing viruses
Stop allowing every fucking service and program you install run in the background
Stop blaming Windows for the fact you are an incompetent retard with barely more haxxor skills then an 80 year old woman
Pull your head out of your ass and realize it doesn't matter what the OS all of them are effect by dumb ass practices.

In short stop being a fucking retard and learn to build and maintain your OS because its not Windows fault your shit is fucked up. It's yours.

planned obsolescence

With recent versions of Windows, it's mainly the accumulation of crap that runs all times that most users cause... plus some more crap MS put on it with updates.

Working fine for 4 years here.
None of that placebo shit software

>implying every propriety technology company doesn't use a similar policy
Let me guess you don't even know how hardware companies are involved with planned obsolescence do you?

I do. Like what they did with light bulbs, limiting its life span

It's not Microsoft's fault you are too fucking stupid to understand why certain features can be disabled to increase performance. Stop being a pleb and Google speed tweaks for your OS.

outside of fragmentation on older windows this has never happened to me

>t. It's Microsoft's fault I am too stupid to turn off indexing
Are you a gaymer by chance?

Everything you posted is incorrect. Stop talking out your ass. You are embarrassing yourself.

>implying every corporation that can isn't doing this

I like how Microsoft shills are literally sucking the dick of hardware manufacturers.
>your pc suck buy ssd reeeeeee
It should run fine, Microsoft's pajeet coders can't even fix a soon to be dead OS that lives off of legacy applications

While there is some truth to this to imply that it isn't controllable betrays your ineptitude when it comes to OSes.

>that lives off of legacy applications

'Cuz normies bitch and moan like fuck if their decade old software doesn't Just Werk™. See also: old vidya.

Wtf I hate ssd now. That settles it. Next PC is gonna have its OS on a 15 year old ide 40gb HD. Gonna be fast fuck

Because you're a fucking retard. Kill yourself.

Nice troll

Windows is built on layers upon layers of legacy code. Most of MS talent that had part in building it left to google or apple years ago. No, the new guys most likely don't understand large parts of the system they're adding features to.

Because you don't know how to properly maintain your computer and are too dim to search for solutions.

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to say.

>Windows is built on layers upon layers of legacy code
someone post the rustle doujin edit

Nice shit for brains.

The transistors of your CPU die slowly just like the neurons in people's brains

So I've been thinking, how long would it take to just rebuild Windows from scratch?

Ask the ReactOS team.

Fragmentation is partially controllable by forcibly defragmenting the data with either built in defragger or with large cache size or with software. Either way, if you leave it to fate, Windows used over time will create large fragmentations.

With proper funding, I mean. ReactOS is taking forever because they don't have enough devs or funding, MS has both.

>implying it's MY computer that has windows installed on it