I am a newfag interested in security and privacy

i am a newfag interested in security and privacy.
the popular opinion seems to be that linux sucks.
why is that? is there any merit to it,
or is it a meme? is whonix any good?
my plan was to use it for everything that doesn't require windows 10.

Install gentoo but unironically.

You mean GNU/linux faggot

if you are really concerned about security, put your entire network behind a firewall that you wrote yourself, one that blocks all connections incoming and outgoing that you dont explicitly allow

Good post, upboated

This

how do i write a firewall? my technical knowledge extends as far as putting computer parts in the right spots and using the control panel.

well shit kid, you have a long way to go to get to that point
at the very least you need to be able to flash a custom system onto a router or build your own router with all the right networking components and such
also need to understand tcp, udp, ip protocol and know how to program, preferably in c to have more direct control over hardware and better utilize the limited resources of some networking hardware

what's wrong with iptables?

Privacy tiers

>Happy meal
Waterfox on Windows with ublock/https everywhere/decentraleyes and other unobtrusive addons
No google or social media accounts

>Basic
Linux
Add uMatrix to browser extensions

>Medium
Non-systemd OS
tor/vpn

>Heavy
Custom firewall at router

>Full
Leave the Internet

Been there too OP, if you're really security minded you have to be a bit more careful. This is what I do when I get 'the urge'

>Buy laptop (with cash)
>Remove HDD
>Physically cut wires to webcam
>Boot only from Live USB
>Drive and use the open WiFi outside an office complex near by at 3am
>When 'finished' destroy USB, open laptop, physically break RAM sticks, dispose of
>Drive home
>Feel ashamed for the next few weeks and promise myself I will never do it again.

What kind of shit are you into you fucking deviant?

Nothing I'm proud of.

Handholding.

>This entire post

>licence plate gets captured on office CCTV
>you get put under surveillance
>make full confession on Sup Forums
Oh noes.

Linux used to be secure before systemd when the whole point of Linux was for it to be auditable unlike closed source os. It's not the case anymore. With that being said, usb boot kali with luks and nuke if you're serious about security.

You Know how to end it. Stop being a scary furfag

>tfw Sup Forums has been so hot on the distro wars newfags think linux sucks in general

Hello Mujar bin Talib al Tilal
Loved your work in the Sinai

DOWN WITH THE ZIONIST PIG JEWS! amirite?

Just tails is fine, billions of systems run systemd so the likelihood of you being singled out is very low unless you fuck up your anonymity setup. Heads would also be a better systemd free option as its focused towards anonymity and privacy whereas Kali is more for pen testing. Using an obscure os like Kali and heads will also produce grater possibility of fingerprinting as less people will be using those operating systems as opposed to things like tails, qubes and whonix