What is the consensus Sup Forums are we updating our BIOS to fix Intel's failure...

What is the consensus Sup Forums are we updating our BIOS to fix Intel's failure? I noticed there is an update for my MSI z270 but have so far opted against applying it.

I'm not too worried about attacks since I don't download stupid shit and if it's a true adversary they will employ attacks I couldn't guard against or fathom.

What say you Sup Forumsentlemen?

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/264796-recent-intel-cpus-take-performance-hit-spectre-meltdown-patches
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltdown_(security_vulnerability)#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(security_vulnerability)#History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What say you Sup Forumsentlemen?

We need to stop this x86 train, and get the fuck off.
ARM
SPARC
POWER
MIPS
RISC-V
This is the future we need.

>64923115

Instal Linux then the performance won’t matter

That is all well and good for next upgrade. But what about today, is spectre that big of a worry to get hit with the perf penalty?

That's why I use a raspberry pi for my linux workstation

Is it 1994 again?

I'd say so. I've heard varying claims from those who actually installed it. Some said the hit is just as bad as expected or worse, while others claim that it was literally nothing and they were totally unaffected.

>ask g a simple question
>expect a reasonable answer

Just don't run untrusted code on your machine? Process isolation exists so that when a process calls memcpy with good enough arguments, it doesn't affect whole system.

On the original OS side of patches it seems marginal but on the new batch released the last few days (I think) some synthetic workloads were hit with double digit deficits: extremetech.com/computing/264796-recent-intel-cpus-take-performance-hit-spectre-meltdown-patches

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this whole shit caused by Intel chasing higher and higher performance boosts and disregarding some critical security aspect?

It's kind of hard to say. There had been some academic proof of concepts more than a decade ago and would reappear time and time again. I think intel thought their implementation might of skirted it and they gambled on that shart and lost. Keep in mind AMD was hit by most of these attacks as well, just not the most egregious one or its harder to pull off, lots of conflicting information on that end but I have read some reports with a more critical eye to AMD that doesn't let the escape repercussion as well.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltdown_(security_vulnerability)#History

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(security_vulnerability)#History

intel

Richard Stallman was right yet again

>but I have read some reports with a more critical eye to AMD
>sponsored by Intel

>AMD n-n-no we are completely unaffected!
>2 weeks later well under certain particular circumstances we are vulnerable but in the real world the risk is very, very low

>do i apply security patches

The update is supposed to be to the microcode and is easily pushed through your operating system's update utility. No need to do it through the BIOS.

basically, they can't find out how the exploit could work so they can't fix it