/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

s.aliexpress.com/6zIrIBZJ?fromSns
head-fi.org/threads/for-sale-stax-srs-3100-sr-l300-srm-252s.873578/
youtu.be/LqPRBekpAYA
youtube.com/watch?v=CWu4ieBqGFg
youtube.com/watch?v=lQuH2r30bHE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

anyone fan or IEMs? I have a pair of vsonic vsd5 monitors. So good

I wanna FUCK tenshi

Thoughts on the MDR V6?
I've thought about getting a pair for a while, they're pretty affordable, im just lookin for some opinions here

No detachable cable
Anemic bass response
Peaky treble
No soundstage
It was good when it was released but it's actually pretty mediocre for the price these days.

Looking for a new headphone amp. My sAp II does the job but tell me about other options

Just got my faaeal 32ohm iris 2.0 with remote. Sounds alright senpai - $15 au
s.aliexpress.com/6zIrIBZJ?fromSns

get the hd600 most affordable headphone with 0 flaws

yreland and yapan

ireland is the mexico of the uk

Nice best looking headphones in the world, user. Nice kitchen countertop, too.

no bully

>tube meme
>no measurements
>chi-fi
>no credible reviews
I don't think I've made a purchase as stupid as this one yet. Wish me luck.

>$13
>3 inch cable
Yes you fucked up.

sorry i'll be nice uwu

All of my headphone cables are custom and the cheapest cost $70 (the most expensive was $15 or something). How does this make you feel?

You spent more on cables than your amp?

More than that amp, yes. My other amps are all $300+.

Odd hobby I guess.

It's more of a mental illness than a hobby.
Not that you can talk, Mr. Benchmark.

A Benchmark DAC actually has some measurable benefits. You seem pretty obsessed about it.

Sure it is, doesn't mean we're not both in the hobby of spending money on stupid shit.

>LOOK AT HOW MUCH I SPENT ANONS ME ME ME LET'S DERAIL ANOTHER THREAD WITH MY ATTENTION WHORING AND SAMEFAGGING

fuck off retard

Don't lump me into the literal snake oil world of custom cables.

my massdrop plus universal iems just shipped. i hope i didnt get memed.

just how necessary is an amp for these? ive been running fidelo x2s right out of my macbook pro and they sound pretty good. i bought the plus for commuting and will be using a nexus 5x, hopefully thats enough. id rather not have to buy a portable amp if i dont have to, and a desktop amp feels unnecessary for my current setup.

Never said that. Who's obsessed now?
Macbooks are known to have decent headphone outs. IEMs benefit from amps only if they suffer from noise or OI issues from your headphone outs.

>Never said that. Who's obsessed now?
Was implied when you said we're in the hobby of spending money on stupid shit.

idol trash user is asleep post cats

I was talking about the amps, silly.

Custom cables are a huge ergonomic and aesthetic upgrade, not an audible one. $70 will net you greatly improved cable ergonomics. Paying more will only get you aesthetic improvements.

Monoprice works for me.

>greatly improved cable ergonomics.
how much of a pussy does one have to be to find stock cable ergonomics bad
I would also extend the point to people who endlessly whine on against earpads.

Monoprice unfortunately doesn't make headphone cables. I prefer amazonbasics for interconnects though.
I can afford nice things so I get them.

>headphone cables.
Stock works for me.

if you're paying $70 for custom cables you are getting punked
there's plenty of talented small DIY shops that make custom stuff with high quality sleeving for $20 or so

Link me, if I can get a 4ft sleeved braided cable with eidolic connectors for $20 I'd be thrilled.

>Massdrop Universal IEMs
I don't believe you got meme'd looking at measurements. I believe they're going to end up being up there with the er4's, im02, gr07, andro's of the world. Personally trying to decide between them and im02/ety.

>eidolic connectors
I'm sure the plankton sounds nice.
Also wondering if I should get the Massdrop Plus. They get an insane amount of praise, but I don't want to fall for an overhyped meme either.

Okay, forget the connectors then. You got a link or no?

Is Superlux still the best in the 20-30€ category?

>Okay, forget the connectors then. You got a link or no?
He's not going to send you a link anytime soon, $20 is the price of only one of those retarded connectors.
My point is that they are trashy, overpriced connectors for audiophools.

>overpriced
sure
>trashy
no

I love how people post a claim and then don't have the links to back it up. Really diagnoses my spectrum.

>no
yes

Not an argument. Still waiting on that link, connectors or no.

>I love how people post a claim and then don't have the links to back it up. Really diagnoses my spectrum.
Not that you have anything to backup the claim that these Eidolic connectors actually are anything but trashy.
The build quality is nothing special. They're not even especially convenient, having soldered some of those they're more of a pain than standard Neutriks which tend to hold up much more on time. No audible features - which I think doesn't need furthermore explanation - or even features that would make them better connectors.

Ya pretty much. The monoprice retro can be thrown in there too.

I've had nothing but good experiences.
We can just drop the eidolic connector requirement since it seems to trigger you so much, so where is that high quality $20 sleeved braided cable?

>Not an argument
no

planning on buying either

hd6xx
monoprice m560
k7xx

I'm upgrading from a SHP9500, which I really really love, but I'm willing to make the next step now.

I'm listening to music on a fiio x3 gen2, which powered my 80ohm beyerdynamics pretty well, but I don't want to get a separate dac/amp for my portable usage.

If there's anything not on the list that you might recommend please let me know.

i listen to mostly shoegaze and black metal
and a lot of other shit, but I very much am interested in more trebly, wide sounding(with good separation) headphones mostly

K712. My second favorite headphones.

>I very much am interested in more trebly, wide sounding(with good separation)
k702
forget about anything else

Get the HD6XX, much better value. If you dislike it you can always sell it for the price you bought it.
K7XX is always on drop and is quite overpriced in the US. Cheap planars suck, don't bother until LCD2/HE500.

head-fi.org/threads/for-sale-stax-srs-3100-sr-l300-srm-252s.873578/
wtf this is a super good price

good god that OP pic I didn't even see it. The female form, perfected. FUCKING LONG SOCKS EEEEE
Wait for a reviewer you trust to review them? I've seen the FR I'm just waiting for some IEM freaks I know to hear them before ordering. It's in the same range as the er4sr and xr, it's got crazy competition.

You should buy HD600, the best headphones in the world.

Damn. I really don't need another pair of STAX but damn.

The Sony XB950N1's are on sale for $150 now, should I get them? Apparently they break easily so would there happen to be another pair of headphones that do the same things/sound the same as the XB950N1s but are more durable?

This is false the hd600 is only good used at $200.

Cute gato, 8/10 would pet again

>This is false

I will post my cate

It's pretty hard to settle on one dac and amp. Lots of people who have actually heard many amps claim there are significant differences between stuff like o2 and magni 3.

stop catposting, lest we become paid schiit shills like superbaf

what happened to the lil guy's eye

keep cat posting while also discussing about headphones and accessories the senn shills want to keep us down

you fool, by catposting, you shall become what you most despise

i wouldn't be surprised if you started shilling HD650 kiss mod any second now

>being on the /r/headphones discord
avoid schiit products like the plague

no i will resist the temptations of only recommending sennheiser hd 6x0 headphones for people who clearly don't want that set

i need better pads for my emu teaks, which ones will change the sound the least?

Does shilling pay well? Or is it all done through website "sponsorships" like on headfi?
I like the discord quite a bit. Spent a long time there before my last headphone purchase and ended up with exactly what I wanted with the h500. Had I shopped on FR graphs alone I wouldn't have picked these so I like to use FR graphs as a qualifier for headphones and then collect opinions from there and make a call. Demoing would be easier but that's nearly impossible for me unless I buy and return.
Sup Forums's history is full of cats. user is the original cat poster. Everyone else tried to become user, they are not user.
They are schiit!
Well I found her like this, spent all my headphone money saving her, and now shes happy catey and i call her mercy :)))
She was so tiny wow

nice

ok guys so how does the L700 pads work on the L300 ? is it a worthy upgrade or can I save the $100 ?

i just got my emotiva a-100, what are some good, hard to drive headphones to use it with?
i already have the t50rp

HE6 is final boss

what are you listening to /hpg/?
youtu.be/LqPRBekpAYA
*blocks your path*

youtube.com/watch?v=CWu4ieBqGFg

youtube.com/watch?v=lQuH2r30bHE

a bit out of my price range, how about the he500

no more cat posting.

It's not all that hard to drive but I love the shit out of mine, it just sounds so good with jerg pads.
They benefit from high voltage. They're low ohms (high resistance?) but aren't efficient.

High current. Less ohms = less impedance, which means that you need more current to reach a particular voltage. Always remember, V=IZ.

it's now a dog thread

big smelly unclean beasts

hey guys, if any of you is interested the crazy dt1990 pack (d1990 + amp + sd card + case) for $600 is back on amazon

I wonder how many dropped out of school.. when they were 13yo. There is so much confusion from new comers on amplifiers that just shouldn't be. Amp, volts, ohm's law and various formulas are all taught before higher education, at least in my country. It's not rocket science, there's even that simple analogy to water pressure vs pipe aperture.

no dogs allowed

Not taught here, unless it's in AP physics. I only know cause I took a couple of circuits classes in college.

Are the m50x still considered good headphones or are there better alternatives?

depends on your needs and budget, but yes there are better alternatives

M40x is much better.

consider the Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100iS or the Beyerdynamic dt240

I'm 25 and have my high school diploma, I started college at 23 and have never encountered it in any class.

a550z if he doesn't need portability but wants closed too

>ATH-WS1100iS
Why? Have you used them yourself?

Which T50rp mod gets closest to the LCD-2 sound signature? (Flat bass and uncolored mids).

The InnerFidelity measurements for this mod seem about right.

This canard keeps being repeated by people who never heard both. The difference between the two is just as this measured comparison shows. As said by solderdude, the m40x isn't really neutral, it has a bass bump that is as elevated as the m50x. What it doesn't have is bass extension, so you hear a less linear bass bump rather than one that is more regular from sub-bass to midbass. Except for a dip in lower midrange the m50x has more consistency there too. The biggest difference between the two headphones though is the presence/lower treble boost on the m50x. It's not particularly offensive while listening.
Neither headphones are worth the hype though. Whether the m40x or m50x they're just not that good, just passable headphones. MSR7 sounds a lot cleaner than both, albeit at a higher cost. A550Z is warmer and has open headphone like soundstage (angled driver, large distance between your ears and the driver, cup design probably have a lot to do with that.). If you don't need portability the A550Z is the best bang for your buck of all those cheaper Audio Technica.