/ptg/ - Private Tracker General

Previous thread >GREAT NEWS
A minor rTorrent exploit has netted some faggot $4K in crypto. arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/hackers-exploiting-rtorrent-to-install-unix-coin-miner-have-netted-4k-so-far/
The vulenrabilities are 'No authentication required for XML-RPC communication' and 'Sensitive XML-RPC method is allowed'.

All versions of uTorrent 3.x BTFO. While 2.x also exhibits these entrypoints, at worst a highly specific crashing prank works.
bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1524
Set net.discoverable to false under Advanced and disable WebUI, and restart your client.

>THE BLACKLIST
Allowing 2.x: HDB, BTN, PTP, AHD, GGn, APL, MAM, JPS, BakaBT
Barring old versions: RED, BIB, AB, OT, IPT

If this concerns you, consider switching to
↳queueStalledmeme: qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,3224.0.html
↳Deldonteventhinkabouthavingover100torrents: github.com/Laharah/deluge-uTorrentImport
↳Transmission: github.com/mikedld/bt-migrate
↳Headless Autism: btpd, transmission-daemon + Remote GUI
↳Non-curry: rTorrent

>Not sure what private trackers are all about?
The mission of /ptg/ is to promote the highest possible standards of tracker service by providing members with opportunities for professional development, by recognizing technical competence through examinations and by advancing the interests of its members.

>Have a question?
FAQ pastebin.com/thLgSkNE
WIKI wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Private_trackers
TEN CURRY COMMANDMENTS pastebin.com/raw/dBbdE73M

Use as a link to find the /ptg/ thread.

Remember the following:
>Staff occasionally read these generals and have posted here before.
>This is a thread for educational purposes only. Don't offer or ask for invites.
>Staff may pretend to be normal users asking for invites and when you invite them, they ban you for inviting strangers.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/PluginHTTPRPC
trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3422
challonge.com/rw7zvi6k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for qbit

In case anyone doesn’t know, these rTorrent settings aren’t enabled by default.

fuck off shill

>give useful information to thread
>must be a shill
you are why ptg is shit now

>you are why ptg is shit now
>posts a meme that shat up /ptg/ for months
ironic

so basically everyone with rutorrent is fucked?

Nah. Only the most Darwinian idiots using practically an open seedbox.

everyone using any client but BiglyBT is fucked.

>using a client named after a drumpf thing

We need to get BiglyBT approved at the various trackers!

MyAnonamouse has stepped up to the plate and allowed it.

It's the best client out there right now.

Incredible. I may have to start giving MAM some credit.

how does it compare to qbittorrent

there's too many seedboxes using rtorrent, i doubt any tracker will actually ban it

Again no one would be stupid enough to enable this setting. "Leave me wide open" is practically in the name.

Wrong. I hijack open seedboxes all of the time.
There are literally hundreds of open ones right now on my list.

Well out of curiosity, what would be someone's reasoning for enabling this setting? Now that you mention it I do remember /ptg/ finding someone's open PTP seeds.

>what would be someone's reasoning for enabling this setting?
Misconfigured or terminally retarded. Most likely both.
If you ever want passkeys you can look for open seedbox directories too. They don't even have to have an unsecured seedbox, just a public directory.

And, last question, these open directories are really related to this setting or something unrelated

>what would be someone's reasoning for enabling this setting
using rutorrent

Unrelated.

i would like to apologize to utorrent users for making fun of you

del

How the fuck do you password protect an SCGI port?

comfy qgodtorrent

i meant my rutorrent has a user/pass

alright, i don't think i'm screwed. i tested out the exploit on my seedbox and i couldn't get it to work with the /RPC2 endpoint. In fact, I don't even think I have that endpoint as I'm using the github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/PluginHTTPRPC plugin for rutorrent.

oh right, fair enough. basic auth, i assume. it's then only a problem if you surfed the web on your seedbox, since a malware site could spoof localhost commands using DNS rebinding.

couldnt surf even i wanted to on it

Stop wasting four times the RAM and we'll talk.

>four times the RAM
That's where you're wrong. I've been running the latest and greatest since release and it has been totally BUG FREE on able to handle a large load. Currently on GNU/Linux so if you're fucking about in Windows I can't speak to the quality but on GNU it is FLAWLESS.

stop seeding on a toaster nigger

What's PU requirements in PTP? want to invite my friend.

upload a torrent and have like 100gb upload or something

Basically one upload.

>utorrent
oh nononono

What you said has nothing to do with the fact uTorrent runs more stable on 1/4th the RAM and CPU. Apparently you have to set it to “active torrents” to achieve just double.

>windows
>more stable (than ganoo+loonix)
nice bait

hey, my dudes. quick question - i've been running transmission 2.92 via docker for a while. after seeing that a couple of my regular trackers are planning to phase it out, i decided to download 2.93 from a different docker repository which is more actively maintained and has better documentation.

if i want to keep an instance from 2.92 on my old container, can i simply mirror the /downloads and /config/torrents folder, along with resume.dat? or do i need to move other stuff, modify resume.dat, etc.?

my 2.92 containers all have a ton of cross-seeding stuff with custom download directories (e.g., PTP is just a .mkv file but HDB is a folder, so i point the PTP data directory to the HDB folder rather than just to /downloads) -- and i don't want to manually re-add hundreds of torrents like this, if i can avoid it.

to clarify, i'm asking about basically upgrading from 2.92 to 2.93 without breaking my currently seeding torrents across multiple containers currently running 2.92.

does this help -- trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3422

Who would win, a corporation using simple tried and true native Windows APIs to achieve the stated goal of being 'micro', or a massive bundle of external libraries linked to an unresolved issue queue (no pun intended) 2,823 deep?

yes, thank you! looks like basically what i was expecting. ahd and hdb seem to be a bit spotty tonight so i'll give this a shot in the morning and hope it's as simple as it seems.

Which repo are you planning to use for 2.93 (asking for a friend)

tracker for braphogs and brapsows?

I need an invite to Bitme, and I have IPtorrents invite to give. Here is my ratio, and I will need to see yours as well. Thanks in advance. private message pls.

It's all over.

Thank god. Now I have zero reason to waste RAM on downgrading from uTorrent.

i'm testing how well some headless clients handle seeding, you can follow the results here i guess: challonge.com/rw7zvi6k

basically that;s gonna be a couple of duels, the torrent clients are all inside their own debian 9 virtual machine, with their own copy of the files on a virtual disk
the VMs are stored on an SSD, but the downloading with utorrent 2.2.1 will take place to an external hdd to throttle the speeds a bit

so in each duel, there's two bittorrent clients seeding a private torrent on the lan, sharing a single ssd drive, also the swarm is entirely in my control, i'm using the tracker built into utorrent 2.2.1
at first i wanted to use the qbittorrent tracker instead, but btpd would complain that it got "bad data" from the tracker

Great idea user.

One thing to clarify: deluge-gui or deluge-cli?

>DigitalHive
>Online since: 2006-05-04

1 week until the bills are due and we are at 24% donations. We will not be able to make up the difference this time. We would like to thank everyone for their patronage over the years, it's been a good run.

Goodnight Sweet Prince

deluged, the daemon
the vms have no gui at all (no x server)

that warning was up a few days ago before the donation % reached 100. my theory is that they just forgot to remove the warning. either that or they're scamming.

fwiw, the results i enter is the amount of data uploaded by each client
the torrent is 1457 pieces x 1 MiB, and for example for the first duel, aria2 reported 668.50 MiB uploaded and lftp reported 787.9 MiB so it kind of matches the 1457 MiB figure

Wait so you are only vulnerable if you have the scgi port open on your firewall?

my understanding is if you have the /RPC2 endpoint unprotected. i don't have that endpoint since i use the HTTP-RPC plugin for rutorrent, but if i did, i'd put it behind basic auth.

and yes, you're right, you also don't want to have your SCGI port open to the world

Hope rtorrent wil get BTFOED from RED, BIB, AB, OT and IPT

but why? it would hurt the seedboxers though...

Anyone know if this affects Flood?

>but why?
Can't play double standards now can we? If utorrent got BTFOED, then so should rtorrent.

the exact abuse described in the article doesn't affect flood. regardless, for flood, you'd still not want to have rtorrent's scgi port be open to the world. and of course if you're running flood on a public-facing seedbox you'll want to protect it behind a login like basic auth.

the rtorrent thing has several workarounds and i don't agree with banning utorrent 2.2.1 either

u mad cause you had to resort to the very best client on windows? boo fucking hoo

The rtorrent thing is literally NOTHING

Anyone gloating about either is a total idiot not worth responding to, but who honestly might not understand what nothing burgers both issues are.

see

>be retarded on leave RPC open for external access
>OMG GUISE RTORRENT IS COMPROMISED!!11
retard

You mean like uTorrent's WebUI? Sounds like it should be banned then, others using it might compromise my security, maybe.

There's no way for trackers to detect this though. Better safe than sorry, take it off the whitelist until it's updated.

Deja vu.

>it's as if they only pay to keep it up 25 days a month
That's exactly what it feels like AHD is doing. It's down a few days every month and that's what's happening

>give gold
What does that mean? Serious question

It's domain is .ch? That's so currynigger. I'm still waiting for a real music tracker to emerge

Go to the wiki you faggot

the difference between the utorrent issues and the rtorrent issues is that no one knew about utorrent's problems from the get-go. for rtorrent, the docs for it and for rutorrent already made it clear what security precautions you needed to take to prevent what the arstechnica article is describing.

best yer gonna get fucko

AHD is down for maintenance

results updated: challonge.com/rw7zvi6k
Transmission 2.93 wins against Deluged 1.3.15 in a match

red is down and that actually matters

who cares about red, it's useless for climbing

you disgust me

Trackers can't tell if a user's taken precautions or not, it's not YOUR choice to endanger MY security.

results update: qbittorrent 4.0.4 WRECKS btpd 0.16!

lftp will win

it surely is fun to watch glorious Transmission OBLITERATE qStalledMeme

Are you using a performance config or the default one?

on which side? it's definitely the defaults for the cache sizes and stuff, but each of the clients is configured to disable encryption, pex, dht, lpd

Why the fuck do I care about what client is the fastest uploader if nobody's leeching from me

Create your own competiition and measure that faggot

So if I'm understanding this correctly, only non-password protected rutorrent instances are vulnerable? Am I correct on this or have I missed something?

Go to the wrong website, and malicious javascript could access the xmlrpc port running locally on your computer, and if they can do that, they can run any shell command they want.

do you have a /RPC2 (or whatever) endpoint enabled in your webserver config? if so, make sure it's behind basic auth or the like.

on a different note, make sure whatever scgi_port rtorrent uses isn't accessible to the public

why does it matter? was it raided?

Thank you. I shouldn't have any configs like that but I will double check everything to be sure.

Retard here, does that mean I'm safe and I don't have to do anything?

Answer might depend on if you used a seedbox script or not

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I installed rtorrent (0.9.2) myself with some package manager on debian and the only config I changed is my .rtorrent.rc
schedule = watch_directory,5,5,"load_start=/home/share/media/torrents/*.torrent,d.set_directory=/home/share/media/torrents"
upload_rate=50
download_rate=500
directory=/home/share/media/torrents
system.umask.set = 000

Javascript was a mistake.

>in the news:
lftp barely edges out rtorrent in the seeding competition: challonge.com/rw7zvi6k