Why THE FUCK did they call it 'JavaScript'...

Why THE FUCK did they call it 'JavaScript'? Did they not anticipate the never-ending confusion that would ensue between their language and Java? WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING???

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript#History
adtmag.com/articles/2018/02/26/java-ee-name-change-to-jakarta-ee.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Weren't both languages developed around the same time?

The bigger issue is that they both use the same "le coffee => le code XDDD" meme as the basis of their names.

JavaScript was designed in a week and everything, including the name, was an afterthought.

It's really not confusing to anyone who spends five minutes working either language. To the people who it does confuse, it doesn't matter anyways because they're too retarded to work with it.

It doesn't matter how you call it as long as it Just Werks™

It confuses everybody who doesn't work in IT at all. Every time I say I'm a JS developer people tell me about how they know of Java through the update prompts or installation spam. I then have to explain that Java isn't JavaScript. Every fuckin time.

You mean ecmascript? you dumb fuck.

The confusion was intentional. Java was growing popular at the time and Netscape wanted people to use their language.

Well the solution is easy. Stop being a JS dev.

so stop saying you are a js developer. say you are a website designer. i wouldnt call anyone writing js a developer by any stretch

>i'm gay
nice post

This is the real talk.

>I'm post
Nice gay

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript#History

wait, there's two java launguages?

Java was created by Sun and is now maintained by Oracle. It looks like this:

public class Example {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("Hello, world");
}
}

JavaScript was created by one guy at Netscape in a week and a half, and they slapped a bad name on it at the last minute before rushing it out the door. It sort of looks like Java if you squint a little (curly braces, semicolons, "new" keyword...) but they're semantically quite dissimilar and have a lot of differences as a result.

Forgot a JavaScript example:

function foo() {
console.log("Hello, world");
}

foo();

It does the same thing as the Java example: Just display a message "Hello, world" somewhere on the screen.

wait, there's a difference?
that explains a lot

Is it pronounced
>ee see em ay script
or
>ek muh script

It was intentional you dumbfuck

Don't worry. You won' be confused no more.
adtmag.com/articles/2018/02/26/java-ee-name-change-to-jakarta-ee.aspx

>confusing
It was intended.
>in a week
Wrong
>an afterthought
Wrong, js was the third name given, it was after an agreement with Sun.
It's the same thing you dumbfuck, they had to change the name because JavaScript was trademarked by Sun.
>website designer
>i wouldnt call anyone writing js a developer by any stretch
But that's exactly what he is, literally. It amazes me how dense retards like you still manage to survive.
You don't need to put it in a function
JSE =/= JEE

>ecma

Sounds like a disease. (It is.)

Not only did Netscape intentionally name the language after Java, but they also insisted on giving it "Java-like" curly-brace syntax (which was not Eich's original intention), all in a marketing effort to >imply the language is somehow related to Java which was considered hot shit back then.

>>in a week
>Wrong
10 days exactly, as stated by Eich himself numerous times. Netscape was in a rush to deliver a browser scripting language before Microsoft does so 10 days was literally what they gave him. They succeeded and 20 years later we're still stuck with this haphazardly thrown together piece of shit.