Why don't the Janitors think pens are a type of technology?

Why don't the Janitors think pens are a type of technology?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Pelikan-Bottled-Fountain-Brilliant-301168/dp/B000WKZBCK
handoverthatpen.com/2016/12/06/tutorial-diy-raden-vanishing-point/
cc.gatech.edu/~cseim6/phlgloves.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wheel hijack. Let's discuss technology.

They just think technology is just CPUs, coding, operating systems, and cell phones?

>made for flat surfaces
And what, you plan to pave over the whole world? Get a camel or walk.

how fucking dumb are you? jesus fuck

Is this beam what makes German engineered stuff so durable?

what's the point of a pen that's not a pen

that one of those creep spy cameras?

If they knew what a pen was they woudln't be janitors

>The joke

>Your head
I see now why the brainlet meme is so prevalent here

GUYS YOU ARE STRAYING FROM THE TOPIC

I mean, they must not fully appreciate the precision design and machining it takes to make a nib, which separates at the perfect gap to allow an optimal amount of ink flow from the feed.

Or the composites that modern pens are made of, that don't corrode or stain, despite many years of being coated with ink, and flushed with water.

They must not appreciated the engineering of a smooth filling system, that pulls up ink in consistent volumes through the aid of piston and vacuums systems.

They must not understand the complexities of a finely crafted ink, filtered of impurities, and chemically engineered to have vibrant colors when applied to paper... maybe they just don't know

Parker pens > *
Prove me wrong.

Pilot Pens.

Has anyone ever used invisible ink?

I use it on your mom's face all the time

That's retarded.

kek. Semen can actually be used as invisible ink.

mainly because the threads for pens, watches, all of that kind of thing end up with no technical discussion whatsoever. They are merely adverts for people selling these things on ebay and other sites. What possible technical discussion could there be of pen manufacture that lasts longer than a post or two?
FUCK OFF AND FIND A SITE WHERE YOU CAN ADVERTISE FOR FREE

nigga I know, but it still doesn't even contain any interesting wordplay.

Jinhao*

piston pens are the coolest. I would get a Twsbi but I can’t justify a $50 pen purchase.

I got sucked into the fountain pen meme a little bit and I must warn everybody.

Liquid ink is shit, it spreads on the paper and leaks to the other side. This goes for rollerballs also, but the problem is much worse with fountain pens. The amount of ink used is absolutely ridiculous compared to a gel pen also, and the feel is crap since unlike a rollerball or ballpoint different directions feel different. For very thin lines you still get better line variation with a decent gel pen or EVEN A BALLPOINT, and if you REALLY want line variation, a dip pen.

The only thing fountain pens are good for is wasting your money and making a mess. Don't be fooled, this shit old technology got marginalised for extremely good reasons.

This shit is peak bugman, enjoy your artisanal manhood you fucking cocksuckers.

clearly we need to make a /penisland/ so that people can talk about pens

Cease thy piggot oinkery at once.

>Feathering / bleeding
Buy better paper. Buy pigmented or just fast drying ink if you insist on using cheapshite paper.

>ink consumption
Buy this and shut the fuck up amazon.com/Pelikan-Bottled-Fountain-Brilliant-301168/dp/B000WKZBCK

>feel is crap
Buy better paper you absolute moron. A good nib on good paper fucking glides like it's floating on air.

>line variation
Buy a flex nib, a music nib, or a vintage 18k flex nib. No shit the cheap ass pilot metropolitan or lamy memefari you bought doesn't flex.

How do people spend all day long in general threads about about pens, watches, and keyboards? Does everyone seriously buy a new watch every week and feel strongly enough about them to sustain a general discussion thread about them? Who would really spend all the time discussing these things if they're not trying to sell them?

Fountain pens are a niche product for people who do certain types of art and calligraphy. For everyone else you're just following a meme for no other reason than to waste money. For normal writing a $5 gel pen is more than enough, the lines are dark, the feel is smooth and gel doesn't leak through paper.

don't post your self deprecating inner monologue on the internet user, it's unhealthy

So I got a metropolitan and the first ink cartridge ran out. So I'm either going to buy replacement cartridges or buy some bottled ink. What do you guys suggest?

What do you want the ink for?

Boring but reliable black or blue/black? Unicorn puke?

Boring and reliable for note taking on relatively cheap paper. Either blue of black.The default ink was fine, though ghosting is strong (I can live with that) and I had occasional bleed through.

Sailor jentle inks are a good bet if you don't mind paying a premium for them. As they're pigmented inks though you'll want to clean your pen every few months while you use them.

Actually, unless you have a lot of cash to throw away, you should get a blunt tip syringe (assuming they're legal wherever you are), and a bunch of ink samples from goulet pens or vanness.

You might also try some Noodler's inks such as x-feather (although when I last used it it had a nasty habit of drying out on the nib a little faster than I'd like). Lamy blue/black is terrific, as is Pilor blue/black. My personal favorite ink is Summer Storm (pic related), although it's probably a little lighter than what you'd prefer. Real fucking pretty though.

Your fountain pens got nothing on these bad boys.

Those pens really irritate me because the place I want to grip with my thumb/finger is where the pen's grip ends

Thanks, I'll look into those.

>gel pens
G7 isn't terrible but in general any pen that requires pressure to use is annoying. I am 100% in favor of a good roller ball with liquid ink like the precise V5 if my fountain isn't and option.

Pic related is also fun. Also, do yourself a favor and get some nice paper someday, Tomoe river or something. Even if it's just one sheet, as long as your nib is still in good shape you'll instantly be reminded why fountain pens are worth it

Those were all the rage in middle school.

I bought a box of 12 pens from Staples at their back to school sale for 12¢
Yeah, 1¢ each

get fucked autists

>see someone clean up trash
>throw trash on the ground afterwards
:(

I feel bad for you son. You'll never know the joy of opening a new bottle of Bungubox Ink of Witch and dipping your achingly ready favorite pen into that sweet sweet nectar. You'll never know the pain of your cat knocking over a brand new bottle of Noodler's Baystate Blue all over your floor and staining it forever until the soft light of the sun slowly fades it into nothingness itself. You'll never know the feeling of spending your life savings on your own personal Holy Grail, a Visconti-Chatterley Southwest Celluloid Opera Master 10th Anniversary Limited Edition. You'll never know the relief when your SO leaves you, telling you to shove them all up your ass, leaving you more time to just sit and admire your collection in the Penarium you made in your son's bedroom after he died. You'll never know the soft loving numbness you feel when you start injecting Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia on bad days, or the sharp pain of sliding your Sailor 1911 Full-Size King Cobra II Limited Edition's nib down your wrists just to feel something again, or the perfect, beautiful colors and swirls as the Diamine Oxblood in your Sailor mixes with your blood on the tile floor as the ink dries on the last page of your life.

you have a problem

That's because you were using recycled paper.
Nice pens only write well on good paper.
That's why I use Pigment liners.
They write nicely on pretty much every surface.

There is a huge difference between the way different pens write, cheap shit just doesn't do it for me. Spending at least 20-25 will get you something of decent quality. Same for mechanical pencils, I don't know how anyone uses the cheap shit

How's primary school going, user?

A very poetic problem.....

massdrop commenters are disgusting

The only assdrop shit in there is the ink of witch, and even that is pushing it

idk... they keep letting those dumb faggots run their stupid fucking obsolete garbage watch threads

Maybe if this was the 40s.

For me, Sailor > *

these are so fucking comfy. i bought a box of ten

m-maybe we can start writing l-letters to each other...

An inky problem.

My pen may be great but my handwriting is SHIT. If I could write in a cute font I'd mail you something but that's just not how it is.

Practice practice practice. I completely changed my handwriting over the course of a few months by practicing everyday.

For this particular skill, I just want the payoff without the practice. I just came into this thread to see what's up with other pen people while also dropping that sentiment. I NEED a good pen BECAUSE my handwriting is so poor, if I use something like a BiC I might not be able to read my own writing later.

get a stub nib, 1.1mm or so

Practicing on good penmanship with any writing utensil is a good start. Good equipment can be obtained later.

>ywn join the Sup Forums penpal letter4autists exchange

see
It's true. Stubs provide enough line variation to make you hideous scrawl bearable.
You still need to write with one properly (ie. with the whole arm, not the fingers, no downward pressure etc.)

That would be a badass pen if it actually had a refillable ink cartridge too.
Sigh..
Also make the "external phone memory" have a sdcard slot in the middle of the two usb ports so if the flash chip ever dies you don't have a useless pen usb.

For me, it's the Pilot™ Vanishing Point©. The best low-end fountain pen. I even ask for extra Pilot™ Blue ink cartridges and the Chinese packaging robot is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.

One time I asked for Pilot™ Blue ink cartridges and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly Chinese packaging robot worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".

Now the Chinese packaging robot staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three packets. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local Pilot™ industrial plant, I go there at least 3 times a week for journaling and a large iced Baystate Blue with Bleach instead of Methanol, 1-2 times for early journaling on the weekend, and maybe once for late-night diary writing when I'm in a rush but want a great writing experience that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.

I even dip my fingers in Pilot™ Blue ink, it's delicious! What a great fountain pen manufacturer.

I will be getting one these, probably the high end versions with abalone shell pieces. This black matte version is also quite nice.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to wield a Sailor fountain pen. The proper nib angle is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the strokes will go over a typical writers paper. There's also the Sailor fountain pen company's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly molded into its pens- their personal balance points draws heavily from the 1960's Lamy 2000 Bauhaus influence, for instance. The Sailor owners understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these pens, to realise that they're not just a pen- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Sailor fountain pens truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Sailor's existential corporate motto "日本人は日本人だよ," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenevs Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Mr. Kyugoro Sakata-san's genius wit fails to unfold itself on their own blank papers. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Sailor fountain pen tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Good man. You may want to check this out: handoverthatpen.com/2016/12/06/tutorial-diy-raden-vanishing-point/

greatly underrated post

Seriously hoping this is pasta

capless is shit
sailor is shit
gayest pen of the very worst company

>pasta
according to google that'd be a no

Please don't buy those lead alloy shits. Lead is a non-threshold toxin and carcinogen. Get a cheap fountain pen if you need to be special.

>gayest pen of the very worst company
Well then what better pen to destroy ones life over?

get this: on Sup Forums dot net people used to write funny posts instead of copying and pasting them

hard to believe huh well catch ya later

Hahaha oh my God. That is hilarious. You are so cute.

>pen
>can't write

What we need is this technology, but applied to improving the handwriting. Just imagine being able to learn any cursive hand you want without playing attention to what you are doing.

cc.gatech.edu/~cseim6/phlgloves.html

Of course you would need more than just the gloves, since you are supposed to also use your arm when writing properly. If I ever become a millionaire I would throw my money on researching things like this.

>capless is shit
kys

Just got a Zebra Expand for general travel.

I think things have changed with the new janitors coming in. They just tanked the cyberpunk thread while leaving the /hackerman/ alone. It seems /cyb/ threads have been killed off almost immediately the last month or so. And there is nothing in the rules against the contents of /cyb/.

>That poster.
Saved I never knew that.

>mainly because the threads for pens, watches, all of that kind of thing end up with no technical discussion whatsoever
And yet those generals are permitted. The watch general has at least in the past had some technical discussions and debates about anniversary Speedmaster for moon landings. Cyberpunk is heavy on tech (ref the FAQ) yet was killed off. Whatever rules are used are too random. In any case the pen tech discussed so far exceeds the tech contents on the watches generals by far.

>muh easy dry-outs
>muh minuscule ink capacity
>muh retarded grip with clip in the way
the thing was designed by some nip that doesn't write
pilot shat the bed with the capless

Shit, and I thought the mechanical keyboard people were obnoxious

>tfw there will never again be a writing instrument as needlessly complicated as the sheaffer snorkel, over-engineered for the sole purpose of not getting ink on your fingers occasionally
feelbadman
everything becoming simplified and crude at the cost of mechanical beauty

Somebody redpill me on the nib numbers. I heard the lower they are, the thinner the pen writes, but I see no difference. These 2 pens are absolutely the same except for the numbers, and #1 doesn't give you the scratchy feeling when you write with the nib flipped.

My nigga
I use those on military paperwork
Everything has to be nicely written and those pens write well.

Did some pen tuning on my chinese pens and now they write nicely
Wing Sung 3008 is pretty nice for $3. QC is non existent, mine didn't write when I got it.

This is neat, thanks for sharing.

I have no idea wtf those numbers written on the feeds are, but traditionally numbers on the nib itself designated the physical size of the nib itself. More common back in the day than now.
Eg, Montblanc's 146 has a No.6 size nib, where's as the 149 has a no.9 nib.
It's not the same throughout all brands.
Pilot has its own standard eg. the custom 823 has a no.15 size nib but it's only a little larger than the MB 146. And the Pilot goes up to the #50 size Jumbo, largest commercial nib size available on any pen (excluding the Danitrio Yokozuna, which is custom made by one master in Japan).

What supposed to denote width of line is the nib size eg. F - Fine, EF- extra fine, (M)edium, (Broad), and onwards, but this again varies from company to company, and of course regionally (asian nibs sizes being at least one step finer than their designated width compared to euro nibs of the same listed size).

If those pens are some random ebay chinese shitters who knows what those numbers mean.

I found the old infomercial pen. Unfortunately the pen is very leaky.

Here it is writing. The nib got that dirty by being stored upright, it's be soaked if stored down.

gtfo with your whole wheel
spokes themselves are where it's at

because the kind of pens retards post about are pricey fashion pieces based on deprecated and inferior technology.

this absolute delusion.

>b-buy better paper to make your pen as usable as ballpoint with gel.

I really like uniball made in glorious nippon

>buys luxury good, cheaps out on the thing it's used on
>complains when it doesn't work well
Don't breed.

Could ther perhaps be a crack in the section? Sure it could just be a case of a leaky feed, but when I encountered a pen with similar construction with a similar leakiness, it was a section crack (grip seciton; the black thing where your fingers go).
Give a good an proper once over.
Then again, it could just be because it's one of those infomercial pens lol.
Did you piece a can with it? Or use it as a throwing dart?

A jeep is a much shittier off road vehicle than a horse, unless you have really tame terrain. A horse can climb a steeper 500 foot hill too.

Try using that gel pen on toilet paper m8.