Used servers

Is it a better idea to just buy a whole used server, or to buy used parts and assemble your own?

Other urls found in this thread:

vibrant.com/used-servers/ibm-servers/ibm-power-systems/index.html
vibrant.com/used-servers/oracle-servers/index.html
cavium.com/product-thunderx-arm-processors.html
pogolinux.com/products/arm-servers
system76.com/servers/starling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I bought a used server off UnixSurplus and it's been running fine for the past 4y.

I got a used blade server with 2x xeon-E5-2670v1's and 128gb or ram for like 900 off ebay.

Dont think i could get a price that good if it wasnt used and all together.

>sold out
>sold out
>sold out
>sold out

What is your guys thoughts on getting a server of a different architecture than the typical x86 Xeon variety?
Like IBM POWER stuff
vibrant.com/used-servers/ibm-servers/ibm-power-systems/index.html (some on ebay)
or Sun/Oracle/Fujitsu SPARC stuff
vibrant.com/used-servers/oracle-servers/index.html (also some on ebay)

What a shame.

Good for niche shit.
I'd love to turn a SPARC machine into an OpenBSD router

SPARC and POWER systems make me aroused, SUN and IBM workstations especially but their servers have similar designs.

I bought used server parts from Ebay and im pretty happy with it. Xeon Motherboards are expensive but the processors are like $30 and i got an 8 gig stick of no-name ECC drr3 for $20

If you want something more beefy and rackable, Buying a whole used server is probably cheaper

UGHHH THICCER

its too niche therefor expensive when you can get used xeons for pennies on the dollar

PPC A E S T H E T I C S

a bit off topic (it's definitely not "Used servers"), but they're apparently making ARM rack servers now, with like 48-96 fucking cores
cavium.com/product-thunderx-arm-processors.html
pogolinux.com/products/arm-servers
system76.com/servers/starling

>electrically efficient ARM servers

they may need recapping

I know, right?
Gets me excited too!

Thunder X2 is a socketed lga chip

I wonder if they're quiet and/or heat efficient under load too. You might be able to run them inside a home and not go insane.

What sucks is that they don't tell you the specs of the X2. Not that I have money to actually buy this shit, I just want to know!

Generally build your own from new parts, because of power efficiency and other aspects.

This is particularly true for smaller home servers where the hardware doesn't cost much anyhow.

You can get some pretty damn nice used servers, think of every company out there that just wrote off a top of the line 2-3 year old server because warranty was over or they needed the newer version of SQL on it.

I bet they're at least somewhat better at this than most other servers.

I wonder if the non-x86 architecture and thus lack of IME would make it easier for them to have a more freedoms-respecting boot firmware?

> think of every company out there that just wrote off a top of the line 2-3 year old server because warranty was over
No company comes to mind.

Most servers are on the market because they aren't power efficient at this point (some of this is due to AC in data centers).

> punch line is weaker than a rpi3

>I bet they're at least somewhat better at this than most other servers.
No. They can use very little power in an absolute sense, but electrical power per processing power is better on x86 or some Tesla or such still, so x86 is the way to go for bulk processing power.

> I wonder if the non-x86 architecture and thus lack of IME would make it easier for them to have a more freedoms-respecting boot firmware?
Could be easy on either, but it doesn't seem like the market cares.

Why would anyone want to at this point? VPS are so cheap...

img

When you say x86 and power efficiency, do you mean x86 or like reduced instruction set x86 like atom.

>why would anyone want to
What do you think your VPS is running on?

having your own hw seems pretty cool 2bqh.
using an old desktop build retrofitted to be a server now, but had i the money i'd totally take the dedicated server pill.

What is some good shit for a esxi server. I dont want to use that much money.

> When you say x86 and power efficiency, do you mean x86 or like reduced instruction set x86 like atom
Doesn't matter. ARM and friends don't beat x86 or the Teslas right now for the usual computer workloads.

no they install spyware in the BIOS rom don't do it

>esxi
>esxy
>e-sxy
>e-sexy

It's on a server in some datacenter, not some used thing in some 4chaner's closet. Totally different critter.

> I dont want to use that much money
Then ESXi is wrong from start to end.

It's expensive software wasting expensive hardware to try and help idiot GUI Windows sysadmins keep their jobs (the only thing about this that is cheap).

What about proxmox. I have a cluster running it now but its week. I want somthing with a good core count and amd64 support

Depends on the use and if you're out for cost effectiveness. A media server or NAS can be done quite effectively with a SBC and a hard drive. At the same time those used servers for < $200 would be perfect for the step up from that kind of basic bitch server.

>Could be easy on either
you sure about that, bud?

Not a big fan of that either, but at least LXC (and qemu if necessary at some point) doesn't waste quite as much hardware and it's obviously not going to run an expense on the software end.

Find some reasonable enough used Xeon, build a Ryzen 1700, or some such?

Maybe some high class VPS, we're talking cheap VPS.

>you sure about that, bud?
Yes. But the required manufacturers almost all don't give a shit, and there are presumably entities that give a shit the opposite way (as in convincing entities that it shouldn't happen).

So the VPS that is cheaper than a closet server with 1x10TB 4x8TB drives and even just 100Mbit connectivity (Gbit is trivial in your closet) is where?

Well, Google Cloud Platform has a bunch of free shit. Even after that, it's not exactly expensive, particularly when you consider the price of electricity, space, security, etc. in having a server on-site. At our office, for our server we are still on-site, and we have to maintain security, climate control, air quality, stable electricity, backup electricity, custom cabinet... The IT guy has to drive clear out to our place to jack with it everytime it needs serviced. It adds up.

I'll grant you though, if you've pirated the whole of western cinema, you might want a NAS or assload of storage. But that hardly needs special server hardware.

But there's your answer, even with less than $1k of drives (yup, shucked 8TB drives for $130-150) and some extra peanuts (maybe $250) for the remaining server hardware and networking, you can easily construct a situation where an externally hosted solution is almost entirely unaffordable in comparison, and overall inferior in performance too.

This isn't the only way of course, but basically VPS aren't the desirable solution in many situations, even enterprise-y situations.

If your IT is skilled, having the primary server clouds in-house and only external fallbacks is usually a lot nicer.

This. My used P4 era dual Xeon server cost me like $45, 4 years ago. 2x2.2GHz xeon, 64GB RAM, and a 500GB HDD. Though I've since replaced the hdd with 4x2TB drives in a raid array for 4TB redundant storage. It currently runs my plex server, httpd, sshd, ftpd, IRC bouncer and a few other things and provides file storage for my xbox one s, and mac mini i turned into a htpc

get a load of this idiot

Please be careful when posting my wife

That's rude.

Cute wife, dude.