/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/srbYJ8.
amazon.com/WRAITH-SILENT-COOLER-Heatpipes-Connector/dp/B06XP5GFFH/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520074511&sr=8-4&keywords=amd wraith
amazon.com/AMD-199-999575-Wraith-Max-Cooler/dp/B074RNSCJM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520074557&sr=8-5&keywords=amd wraith
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bK4WZR
uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/2dkD4D/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp900s3128gmc
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yh9zyX
pcpartpicker.com/product/zBZ2FT/gskill-memory-f42800c15d16gvrb
pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2
bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-intel-optane-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?skuId=6155310
pcpartpicker.com/product/Vbhj4D/aoc-monitor-i2379vhe
pcpartpicker.com/product/Nbbp99/acer-monitor-umvh6aa003
pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/3hYGXP
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZssNGG
pcpartpicker.com/product/svVBD3/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbk
pcpartpicker.com/list/x3jxr6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>G4560
Kill yourself

here. Last time polluting the thread i promise. Here is what i ended up going for de.pcpartpicker.com/list/srbYJ8. I read in the op that ryzen is picky with ram, i found a list but it doesn't list F4-3000C16S-8GISB. Should i just go straight up for the fastest ram?

I want to buy a 1440p monitor, but my GPU is just a 1050ti. Is it okay to game at 1080p windowed? if so, how does it look like?

>being triggered by components
it's more likely you'll suicide before anyone here

Looking for a cooler to go with my Ryzen 1600x since apparently there's no stock cooler with them.

Suggestions? I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 usb towe

>drop the cooler onto the cpu socket
>bent some of the pins
kill me

I'd say grab either a Wraith or Wraith Max from Amazon.
Old school Wraith: amazon.com/WRAITH-SILENT-COOLER-Heatpipes-Connector/dp/B06XP5GFFH/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520074511&sr=8-4&keywords=amd wraith
Wraith Max: amazon.com/AMD-199-999575-Wraith-Max-Cooler/dp/B074RNSCJM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520074557&sr=8-5&keywords=amd wraith

Both work without modification on AM4

what's with the reviews

how do i start becoming competent at judging what components are good and bad? the most confusing things to me are the cpu and ram. all i see with cpus are the ghz, and for ram, the amount of memory.
basically i want to become one of the people who's competent enough about hardware to suggest things to others.

>GeForce GTX 1050 ti
>8GB RAM
>AMD RYZEN 5 1600 Six-Core
>runs worse than my 6 year old rig I had previously

I can't even maintain 60 fps on World of Warcraft on low settings. What the actual fuck.

likely people bitching about it interfering with ram kits.
The Wraith Max is an updated version of the Wraith, and the Wraith Max itself is getting an update this year to become the Wraith Prism.

No need. Clumsy shitter like you is bound to stumble and fall out of a window any moment.

Almost entirely unrelated, but after only playing WoW on a Laptop for a few years I recently built a proper desktop and fuck me, but the graphics of the game sure got updates. Shit's looking great with everything at max.

realistically speaking will the nvidea's april announcement have any impact on the current gpu prices?
is there any hope for price drop?

2200G or 2400G? A lot of reviews seem to think the 2400G isn't worth the extra 70 bucks

>poozen
there's your problem

There's not going to be an April announcement.
And if there was it still wouldn't effect things. There would still be the "ram shortage" and miners will still be buying everything they could get their hands on.

I forgot to specify, our flooring are TILES (pic related) and we go barefoot. I might use a large wooden table. I'm this poster btw. So there are no problems as long as I keep touching the unplugged case like a kids game/anti-static wristband clipped to case, and build it naked?

Anybody else find the concept of using an nvidia gpu with AMD could to be weird? it feels awkward like mixing chocolate with ketchup

Reminder to not be memed into buying a dual core central processing unit in current year.
Fucking phones , TVs and refrigerators have quad core processors.
>>G4560
Get sick of cancer, braindamaged corporate tool.

>imagine being nr.2 at everything you do

Save the $70 and get high speed Ram and OC that 2200G and you have performance on par or better then a 2400G.

I'm starting to think that the 2400G drivers a fucked though it'll be fixed at one point.

2200G if all you want is an APU that can play vidya with the iGPU. 2400G if you're going to use the computer for things other than vidya and shitposting or if you're planning to get a decent GPU later. The extra CUs on 2400G don't really make a difference because it's bottlenecked by RAM bandwidth, but SMT is pretty significant benefit for CPU.

Best monitor set up /PCBG/?

27 or 32" horizontal main, 21" vertical for reading/ reference material and a 32" or larger on the wall for media/ background stuff

I currently have a gaming PC i bought cheaply in 2010 with a dual-core processor, some new games actually seem quite interesting today though, what do I need to just play modern games decently?

>>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
~1300€ including monitor
>>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
Gaming: PUBG, GTAV, WOT, Kingdom come, Fallout 4
>>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
gaming anything cost effective
Monitor 1080p 144hz 1ms

just spent £3000

>fractal design define mini c
>acer xb252q 24.5" 1ms frameless g sync (240hz)
>asus rog strix z370 g
>i7 8700k
>evga 1080ti
>32gb corsair vengeance rgb
>samsung 960 pro m.2. 512gb
>seagate barracuda 7200 4tb
>masterliquid 240 aio

already had all my peripherals prebought

>logitech g pro
>hyper x cherry mx red tkl
>cougar gripped mouse bungee
>vivo single monitor arm
>corsair polaris + mm200
>sennheiser hd 650s

desk ikea alex/karlby walnut 240cm
and a maxnomic chair since I couldnt find anything that had serious lumbar for a decent price that wasnt a tatty office chair

thoughts? should I delid the i7? or should you only do that with liquid metal paste - where can I find some? newegg only has one option for £400 which is dumb

all thats missing is speakers and a mic which I cant afford right now

Will more ram save me, my computer is running faster overall, but, games run like shit for some reason

its the cpu without a doubt, you could go for 16gb but the cpu is the culprit here especially for nu-wow

Ryzen sucks for WoW since it values more single core performance. Intel was the way to go with this game.

Is there a way to simulate old GPU performance using modern ones? I know you can easily underclock the GPU itself to match the clock speed of the old one but can you like turn shader units off, disable specific amounts of VRAM, cap memory bandwidth, etc?

I think you can downclock VRAM as well. But even if you COULD do all of that, it still wouldn't simulate the performance of old GPUs accurately.

I mean, I don't know shit about anything really but my old CPU was fucking old. I just thought an upgrade would be an upgrade.

so what are my options here, just bite the bullet and overpay for 1050ti or hope for better next year?

Sounds reasonable. I just built a similar rig. Only thing I'm unsure of is the XB252. Is the 240Hz really that important to you that you'd go with a 24" 1080p over 27" 1440p IPS? I bought the 271HUT and it's fucking great.

buy it msrp from evga/ nvidia store

Do you know what cpu it was?

Ryzen will be good for newer games but games like that aren't so well.

I had an i7 3770

Served you right for listening to pajeet shills. If you want to play game Intel is still the undisputed king. Period.

Technically the i7-3770 beats ryzen in single core performance. Although it might match it if you overclock it? I also believe if you get a kit of 2x8GB 3000 MHz ram it will improve speed.

The thing is ryzen relies heavily on ram speed in order to catch up to i7-3770. Ryzen was technically a side grade in your case. Sorry m8

So how long should I wait to build a decent PC? I just want to play some AAA game on the highest settings

Nice OP Vandalism juan

It will be a while, honestly just do your best to find good deals right now because it's really unsure how long it will take.

Estimating at least one year but even that isn't really accurate.

Technically you are a mongoloid

Damn, guess I'll just wait for a while then.

>@3500MHz

Intel can go higher that's why its better, pajeet.

PUBG needs a GTX 1060 6Gb at least.

i can always upgrade later since I didnt cheap out on the card

>imagine being sued for anti-competitive practices constantly and having to bribe prosecutors and judges all the time

I’m about to buy a used PC from a shut down business. I5-4590 and 4GB 1333MHz Ram with a 500GB HDD.
£100

Or get a complete build in a small optilex case that comes with a cheap monitor and operating system, 8GB RAM, i5 3470, and 500GB HDD.
>£150

What do I go for? I want to put something like a RX480 in there.

You go for save a little longer and buy new you retard

>You go for save a little longer and buy new you retard
He's going to save for a while though.
if you want something easy and fast I guess Option #2 would be good to plug and play.

Although i5s are dying so not sure how long that will last you.

I just want something that’ll last me 2/3 years that doesn’t cost me £600+

>small optilex case
forgot this... not sure if a rx 480 will fit though. And I think these prebuilts have weird mobo form factors. I think you could get a better deal?

I was going to rip the Mobo out and chuck it in another case

But yeah I might just get a second hand Real pc

Depends on the Optiplex in question. If it's an SFF, than only a low profile 1050Ti would fit as the highest end video card you can get in it.
If it's a mini tower, any RX 480 should fit, though you'd need to upgrade the power supply

>I was going to rip the Mobo out and chuck it in another case
I'm not sure how you would deal with the proprietary fron i/o connectors...

My 280x just died, is there a decent GPU I cp ould get for ~200€ that would go with my FX8170 or should I just buy a fucking laptop ?

Maybe you could find a good deal. Ideally I would at least get a second gen i7 or higher, 8GB of Ram, and At least 1050ti or higher. Overclockable would be great too. Windows 10 you use for free and get a $5 code on ebay if you want. An ssd would be nice for the Operating system.

>needing to overclock to be better
so intel is pentium 4 now?

I'd go for this until you can afford the GPU, for £37 more you could get an SSD
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bK4WZR
uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/2dkD4D/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp900s3128gmc

a used 290x, good luck finding a 580 or 1060 at a reasonable price

fuck buying used shit fuck me and fuck nigger miners
Fuck.

It gives it more juice
2600k @ 4.5 GHz will last longer than a 2600

Is it bad that i want to try the optane meme on an ssd? i am getting 16gb one on monday

i had ssd cache on my laptop and performance wise its like a 50% upgrade than normal hdd

Is there a cheap comparable gpu outside of the nvidia line? When will crypto die?
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yh9zyX

optane is a terrible meme
>only compatible with expensive platform
>more expensive than large SSD
>basically glorified cache
>not even enough capacity for muh games

just get a 250 or 500gb SSD and a 2tb mechanical HDD

Sadly no. I'd get a faster kit, a Seasonic PSU and for $60 more get the 6GB 1060
pcpartpicker.com/product/zBZ2FT/gskill-memory-f42800c15d16gvrb
pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2

>Buy a new mouse
>It has more buttons on it than a keyboard

How do I use all of these memes? There's three next to the thumb, one next to the LB and two below the scroll wheel.

Macro binding or just general use as hotkeys.

bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-intel-optane-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?skuId=6155310

This seems like a really good, perhaps best even, buy at $1150. Am I a fool to do this or just wait for prices to go down on RAM and GPUs (if ever)?

Sounds pretty based. Are they a hindrance or do they become useful once you get used to them?

i waited last year and prices only climbed, i just pulled the trigger last night,

id like to convince you to do the same but literally noones knows, I asked this in like nov and people told me to wait and it cost me 1k more

just buy something you can afford that will last you at least 5 years to ride this all out

It all depends on your usage case. Great for software (lets be real here, its for vidya) that has lots of actions - many of which you might want to do at the same time. It is why MMO's and RTS games benefit immensely from such bindings. Even a simple example might be an FPS game - binding weapon choices to your mouse keys instead of 1-9 can let you switch weapons faster without awkward finger positioning associated with a keyboard.

I personally don't have a mouse with extra buttons as they get in the way of my concrete crushing grip I have.

And consider one of these IPS monitors
pcpartpicker.com/product/Vbhj4D/aoc-monitor-i2379vhe
pcpartpicker.com/product/Nbbp99/acer-monitor-umvh6aa003
This one has a slightly higher refresh rate but is a TN panel
pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6

>find a good prebuilt with ryzen 1600, b350, 8gb 3000mhz, 1tb hdd and gtx 1070 for 1k €
>don't buy it since Sup Forums told me to wait for ryzen2 and new nvidia gen
>apparently nvidia won't announce anything and ryzen2 is only a 0.3ghz frequency boost
>check the prebuilt again
>costs 30% more
thanks Sup Forums.

That does sound cool. It could definitely help me in Dayz because it's such a fuck around using the keyboard to do certain actions.
My previous mouse was a £4 one with two buttons and a scroll wheel, the kind I'm used to. This fucking thing is like an aircraft carrier in comparison and is taking a little getting used to.
Thanks for the help senpai.

Well, I never do prebuilts, but this would be #2 on a whim. I am actually fine with this stupid $500 HP with an i5 7400 and 1060 3g, just the cooling is a mess. I figure the Dell would have better components and a total upgrade.

You're welcome.

Should have listened to the intel shills telling you POOzen was going to be shit this year.

Price checks out but you'd get a small SSD and faster memory
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/3hYGXP

>.1GHz difference
>$99 more
This is why Intel is a fucking joke.

>2600k @ 4.5 GHz
>comparing a gold sample massive 1.2ghz overclock to a small 300 mhz bump
Every Intel cpu overclocking to the moon is a fucking myth only perpetuated by shills, and you really seem like one now

BUT MUH OVERCLOCK

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZssNGG
Thoughts?

or it will just stutter and be unusable because it only had 8 threads

I picked this up on Wednesday, it's a great deal for a solid computer. The GPU and CPU alone cost nearly $900 right now, and you're getting a decent looking case, standard MB, 16GB ram and a 7200 1TB HDD on top of that.

I never buy pre-builts. The last one I bought was in the very early 2000s, since around 2006 I've been building my own PC every few years, but sadly this was the most economical solution right now for me to just get a better system / videocard over my aging FX 8350 / GTX 970 setup I had before.

That said, I had many problems getting this thing set up. Fair warning; DO NOT cancel the Windows update that starts automatically after turning it on for the first time. I learned that the hard way, had some real strange issues happen with Windows update and disk usage and had to do a clean install again just to get things working properly. The update takes several hours, just let it run.

Also, despite all that, I'm still having some strange as fuck disk usage 100% problems when I boot up every now and then, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to stop it.

The only con I really have is the GPU runs kind of hot, as it's a blower configuration. Running Deus Ex Mankind Divided at 1440p at maximum settings I'm getting decent FPS, around 50-60, but GPU temps soar to 80C+. CPU temps mostly go around 50C maximum under heavy load, idle around 30C.

The $99 cheaper one, the 8600K, is literally higher rated too.

Ryzen >>> Intel. They cannot get their fucking priorities straight.

read the OP, and get a 2400g instead

But the Gs don't work with B350 or A230 MOBOs.

*A320.

yes they do you just need a bios update

are you running single channel? that can affect wow quite a bit if your ram is not a dual channel config

Just my opinion, but the case is ugly. Get something like a Fractal Define S
pcpartpicker.com/product/svVBD3/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbk

Or an R5 depending on how much internal storage you need.

It's a matter of updating the BIOS or buying a mobo already updated (look for the "Ryzen 2000 Ready" sticker)

>too dumb to use a computer

Please no, I am already $45 over budget, and I want a blue and black case specifically. Thank you for looking though.

pcpartpicker.com/list/x3jxr6
This good?