Best unix (not linux, not gnu) for home use?

best unix (not linux, not gnu) for home use?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

solaris

What do you mean "home use"?
If you mean workstation I'd say Solaris, if you mean server any BSD or Plan9 if you have free time, for desktop use MacOS.

OpenBSD is hands down the nicest OS I've used. The system is light and feels like an engineered product. The only issue I have is that the performance, even on a pentium II, is worse than a GNU/Linux distro such as debian. Still, I prefer they take their time and get things done properly than rush.

macos is not unix

Ironically it's the only certified Unix of that bunch.

All of my wut

Correct. GNU's not unix.

You could photoshop Stallman into any location and I would believe that he was actually there

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop

macos is as close to unix as linux + wine is close to windows
just because it's unix like doesn't mean it's a child of unix
bsd and solaris are unix but only by blood
marcos is a unix ripoff but since it's made by crapple, then yes, it is the one and only true unix just like any other apple shit is the genuine first even though apple has always been a generic chink ripoff company in soul and heart
clearly iphone is the first smartphone ever, ipod is the first digital music player ever, and marcos is the first unix ever

I doubt you're being sincere and are just looking to argue. I don't have the patience to discuss with you unless you act proper.

You asked the question, you got your answers.

oh my sides

You did it on purpose didn't you

Who?

i mean as a non macfag

yeah probably

mac os dummy

Ha wtf this guy is still alive

Most likely DragonflyBSD. Often the first one to port linux drivers for new HW, good FS, competent devs. Alternatively maybe TrueOS, though that's basically just repackaged fReeeBSD with fancy gui installer.

Are you just looking to be a hipster because of buzzwords? What's wrong with GNU/Linux? I know that a lot of the common distros out there are bloated pieces of shit using systemd but there are lesser known distros that are still good, such as Void Linux. But to really answer your question, UNIX doesn't really exist anymore. There are systems out there that are descended from System V UNIX like Solaris or AIX that are mostly or fully POSIX compliant, and even certified as such by the Open Group, but still aren't UNIX. Applefags use the certs for internet dick waving all the time even though something like Debian has stricter POSIX compliance these days than Mac OS X does.

So if you're looking for a decent UNIX-like OS for home use, there's OpenBSD, NetBSD, Void Linux, etc. The truth is that there aren't really any modern or well supported operating systems out there besides the main ones that we already know about like Windows, OS X, GNU/Linux, BSD, etc.

XNU stands for "X is Not UNIX" and it's true. XNU has evolved from Darwin (a UNIX-like OS) which evolved from BSD, Mach, and NeXTSTEP components. It's definitely UNIX-like and mostly POSIX compliant. Mac OS X however is a big bloated ball of shit that's been going downhill since Tiger. The UI is mediocre at best despite all the little details put into it, and the default programs suck. Also polling is still broken to this day. poll() is a part of the POSIX specification, and Applel broke it and never fixed it. Now devs have to jump though hoops to work around it. The only reason why Mac OS X is certified at all is because Apple pays out the ass for the certs. This is a hard truth that iFags just can't seem to swallow, but they'll gladly swallow bucks of semen as they place a $3000 order for $1000 worth of last year's hardware that's soldered and glued into a cheap soda can casing with a fruit logo on it.

What is he actually doing on his latop all the time

"There are plenty of free programs for editing images, such as the GIMP."

I don't know. It looks gimped.

The "allow me to interject for a moment" copy pasta.

MacOS

More UNIX than Linux.

>More UNIX than Linux.
Basically
>whiter than you muhammad
Technology edition.

Can you all start typing UNIX for AT&T's Unix, and leave "Unix" to mean an OS that meets the Unix standard.

The differences are never what matter but people focus on this particular thing, if you just make it clear which you mean your statement won't be misunderstood.

i.e.
BSD4.2 is a UNIX
SomeRandomDistro is a Unix

This