/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones

Recent News:
Too lazy to write em all and link so just google 'smartphone news'

Last thread:

What's the most effective chocolate to feed my neighbor's unchained dog that goes around shitting and pissing on and digging up everyone's lawns and gardens? Also, how do I prevent other animals from ingesting it?

If you're gonna start a thread at least make an effort you dull cunt.

why is it necessary to have a general for phones? for the most part they're functionally equivalent. it's just a fucking phone. you use it to browse the internet when you're bored and text and talk to people and maybe play some shitty games. who the fuck cares enough that they need to talk about phones enough to support a general? is op that fucking boring that their hobby is buying consumer goods?

Just look at the catalog, there was no general up for a few hours and there are about 10 phone related threads.
That's why.

jesus christ they really need to ban consumerist threads in Sup Forums and make /con/ for faggot buying advice.

>Giving chocolate to a dog

What the actual fuck?

I'm looking for a simple smartphone.
I think I will get a Moto G5. Plain G5, no S, no Plus.

I think Moto G looked better before.
I wish it were simply black like the older versions.
I wish the camera wasn't so noticeable.

I'm not this guy
but this.

The whole motomaker was cool desu.
A shame they dropped it.

just get an iphone and enjoy sending pictures and videos to friends/family without mms compression.

>mms
What year is it?

>ban consumerist threads in Sup Forums
I support this. No /pcbg/, no /wt/, no /tpg/, no /hpg/, no /mkg/, no /csg/, no discussion of proprietary software, no discussion of proprietary programming languages.

>no kirino
shit thread

Fuck off freetard neet cuck. It is you who should go away.

Can't get an iphone for a reasonable price with unlimited sms. I think I'll go for the Nokia with 100MB data cap and unlimited sms. I don't need much for these .mobi pages anyway.

You should try that touch screen shit in a store, it'll really blow your mind. I don't think it's quite there yet though, so I'm sticking with my Blackberry.

RIP stock footage doggo

They will put android 8 on it, right Sup Forumsuys ?

They have to, please God.

Lol no

I'm running Android 8 on it right now, just unlock your bootloader and install the image. Have Xposed for it too.

why not ? the specs are the same as a G6

install the image as in install a custom rom on it ?

G4 didn't even get nougat.

>eating something that was in a dogs mouth
>giving a doggo chocolate

There aren't any android 8 custom roms, just stock android.

is it official from lg ?

There's no 8 stock for g5 stop being dumb.

To be fair this footage must be so old the doggo would be dead even due to natural reasons by now

I'm upgrading my note 3, even though its pretty fine and nothing is broken with it. I'm willing to spend a stupid amount of money on a great phone.

I really want to keep an IR blaster but only shittier phones got them and it might be something I just gotta give up. I'm kinda tired of chink phones. I like having a phablet because I like watching videos on planes.

Why are all the good things are mutually exclusive?
>huawei mate 10 has a weird rom
>pixel 2 has no sd card
>I'm a whale if I get the S9

Where can I get a decent phone case? I just now upgraded from my super old phone, and now every case I look at looks like absolute shit. Doesn't matter if I'm just looking at cases for my phone or for any of the current flagships. Apparently some dumbass "hurr durrr it's gotta be thin and sleek!!!" mentality took over that has made every single case completely worthless in terms of portection. It's been a challenge just to find a case that has a god damn lip at all. Even then, the lip is like 0.3 nanometers.

hello lads, i'm going to be getting a full refund for my nexus 6p (£380) as i'm still on warranty and the battery's crapping out.

don't particularly fancy any of the phones out there at the moment and not looking to go on contract.

should i:
>get a used galaxy s8 for ~£400, live with the garbage software, sell it in a year and get something else
>get a used pixel 2 xl for ~£530 and just keep it for 2 years while updates come in

don't care about exp storage, headphone jack, rooting or custom roms (use google pay frequently and don't want to get into that cat-and-mouse magisk game).

I'm going to dunk my ip68 phone in a pail of water for the first time, any tips?

If it's a popular-ish non-chinkphone there's probably a decent spigen or VRS case available for it.

Don't, warranty doesn't cover it.

then what's the point

Looks nice on spec sheets.

There's better ways than chocolate. My doggy ate a whole block of chocolate and it didn't even phase her.

Hopefully I'll have smashed my g5 shitbox before it gets 8 desu

It was LG's biggest flagship flop ever, so no.

>coming from apple
>they remove headphone and my 6s was dying so in need of new phone
>"whatever I don't care about OS so android it is, galaxy s8"

This device is a mess. I have it since october and the screen is so fucking sensitive to scratches. I got a pretty big scratch in it after putting it screen down on the table and picking it up in the morning because the alarm ring plus some minor scratches after one fucking week. Had my 6s naked for 3 years, only 1 scratch.

Also the camera doesn't focus sometimes until to hit your phone or violently shake it (that is samsungs workaround).

Maybe the worst is the update policy though. I have a unbranded phone and still got no oreo update even though Germany was one of the first countrys where it rolled out. Still running on November patch, it is fucking march.

I think I will never buy samshit again, no complains about the OS though. I don't really give a shit, they are kinda similar in most functions anyway.

* "headphone jack" of course

I regret not buying a g4 when they had the bamboo backs, now I still have some six year old phone and am wondering what's cheap to get

When the hell are they ever going to release the availability dates for the US market?

if you think this way you are clearly not a power user. smartphones are extremely useful and there are plenty of ways to fuck up their design, which is why discussion is necessary.

I remever having a cheap phone and when new Android came out never ever got the update for it. Got 2 Samsung s5 for me and gf and one day my micro usb charger little bit snapped off so I went to replace it myself and broke screen doing so, got a new screen and the techs broke the antenna changing that,got a new antenna andsold the cunt for what I spent on the parts to fix it. Bought iphone no problems since. Any problems (broken screen or camera) were caused by damage but subtle enough that I just got free new phones.

Well the guy is right, it's not like GPU or CPU in computing - phones are fucking slow and all use the iPhone as the base model to beat when it comes to thier specs

what phones are there that

are not glass sandwiches that are designed to be as fragile as possible

have a removable battery which isn't glued and screwed down 50 different ways in a passive aggressive attempt to force you to upgrade

doesn't have a completely potato camera and screen

unlockable bootloader

that's usually the fault of the stock ROMs being bloated and cramming your ram full of useless shit

Is buying an used Nexus 5 a good idea in this current year?

Based on the items showcased at MWC, what are your thoughts on the next 5 years when it comes to smartphones?

I have iphone and A10 so don't really have slow issue I meant to add weak etc. Which also isn't issue relevant to me because I can Open all my apps same time and have them function perfectly and switch. I dno what I meant.

Some websites (bank etc) still require a fucking desktop website to use

Fix that

They are all going to be glass panels with non removable parts because apple has shown that's clearly the only way to get so much in to such a small package. Something breaks, get a new one. All companies will be like Apple is now and whatever apple is like in 5 years they will try to be THAT. All thier own products will reflect thiers. So safe to just go off what apple is doing desu. Iphone x with fingerprint/home button under screen or anywhere on screen and camera under display etc. No headphone jack because Bluetooth exists these days and it's good enough

Fuck

Use your head

So I can get a xiaomi mi a1 for 185€, new, which is pretty insane. however I'm thinking whether its an upgrade at all from my nexus 6p. is it worth it Sup Forums?

tl;dr

How does the Moto G5 stack up these days? Is it still considered a decent budget phone?

Any noteworthy reason I should not buy an Xperia X Compact?

I just want a big bulky steel box for a phone, where everything is held together with hex screws a thicccc battery and no adhesive in sight

keep in mind LCD is going to waste battery over AMOLED

doesn't support 4g in US

well I don't live in burgerland so that wouldnt be a problem

Who told you to buy Samsung? Literally the shittest brand. Apple users should even know this. If you want something cheap but good quality I recommend ZTE axon 7 or 9, LG G6, Nokia 6 or 8

Kek that's the picture retardpedia uses for it's page on theobromine poisoning in dogs
Spread some good cocoa powder on a cheap steak, leave it somewhere where the dog frequently goes, but not on your property unless you want to go to jail. Don't talk about it to anyone and make sure no one catches you in the act.

Moto G5 Plus or Honor 7x?

Im posting just to remind all of you to never give chocolate to any kind of doggo. They'll die.

Is the LeTV LeEco Le S3 worth getting? For some reason it costs less for far higher stats than the Max 2 model.

Yeah, a lot of chocolates are so low in actual chocolate that it's a non-concern.

The dog probably wouldn't even flinch.

Personally I would go with the pixel.

You're wrong.

Good Cocoa Powder has a lot more theobromine than 1% chocolate soyboy bars.

What'd the best phone that won't make me wear glasses in 3 years?

Is there such a thing as a keyboard+booknote for 5 inch phones?

The deal breaker for me is lack of expandable storage and headphone jack.

Anyone running Lineage 15/15.1 on a G4 Play? How is it for you?

I'm seeing posts elsewhere claiming the ROM is completely smooth on that phone, but I've noticed some choppy motions on a few different places. No idea why.

That's why I summed it up for stupid faggot poor cunts like you in the last line

You have to be at least 18 to post here, kiddo.

Femanon here

LeEco are going bust so I would avoid if you ever want to have any hope of software updates and after-sales support

Why is Sup Forums so stuck in the past with smartphones?

>muh small phones
>muh removable battery
>muh microSD card slot
>muh full plastic body
>muh physical keyboard

Why don't they realize that screen-to-body ratios are so good on newer phones that the form factor is small again?
Why don't they realize that phones with glass backs can have their batteries changed out with a hair drier and a guitar pick?
Why don't they understand that to have the highest rated full waterproofing, the battery needs to be sealed?
Why don't they understand that microSD cards are slow and lossy as fuck?
Why don't they just get good at typing on a touchscreen keyboard?
I could go on. Why do they crave obsolete tech?

Axon 7 has been a great phone but why are all Chinese phones shit. I barely used the speakers the first year I had this and then the other day I'm listening to music in my car with an aux cord got a call and the speaker freaked out starting playing some loud ass noise had to turn it off but speaker blew out anyways now all calls and speaker calls sound like shit. I want to get the new one they announced but wtf I had problems with xiaomi too?

why does nokia hate freedom?

"why are phones today so much bigger"

>Why don't they realize that screen-to-body ratios are so good on newer phones that the form factor is small again?

But this is rarely the case. The screen to body ratios on the newest phones are good, but the phones are not getting smaller. The Galaxy S9 and iPhone X are not small.

>Why don't they understand that to have the highest rated full waterproofing, the battery needs to be sealed?
Tell me what percentage of phones in the past 3 years that had non-removable batteries had the highest rated waterproofing.

Still not small enough, haven't the minimal bezels makes it easier to accidentally touch the edge,
I want to change batteries OTG,
I'm not a faggot that needs to constantly have my phone out and not an idiot to get it near water,
Fast enough for me, easier to tranfer files, why should I pay a premium?
Being good at something and not liking it are two different matters.
I could go on. Why do you think you're in the right of what's obselete?

Im looking for a new phone for Verizon.

>Android
>$200 Max
>10+ MP front facing camera
>Accepts 256gb micro SD cards

Why is Kirinofag the best at making these threads?

Can I become a youtube e-celeb aka get 50 subscribers if I buy and review Japanese cellphones. No one else seems to be doing this in english and I have fairly easy access to them.

Older ones, anyway. qqqq

shit i meant rear facing. The main camera has to be decent. I dont care about the one looking at me. Im not like a fag or anything.

The chocolate my dog ate was supposed to be the ultra cocoa dark chocolate that tastes bitter instead of sweet like cuck chocolate and it did fuck all. The best way to do it would be to spread some alum around your boundary. Dogs won't go near it for some reason

Unless you're talking about the first iPhones, which were tiny, smartphones are not much bigger now than they were in 2010. See Carrying a random li-ion battery around is dumb as fuck. It's actually dangerous. It's also more practical to just carry a power bank.

Your phone getting wet is something that would just kind of happen, I mean if you never leave your house I guess you're right it can never get wet.

If you need more than 64GB of storage on your phone, you're doing it wrong.

Does anyone have that picture of Sup Forums's perfect smartphone? The one with all the extra shit, DC charging port, physical keyboard, etc.

Man brings me back I had a HTC sensation in 2012

Has anyone had any experience with the newer xperia phones xz, xz1 and xz premium? I'm gonna replace my g5 and I'm running out of manufactures to try. Samsung hold their price too well and are too hard to fix, LG have fucked me over twice and I'm not super keep on fruit or chink phones. If they're no good I'll probably just get a note 4 desu

>Unless you're talking about the first iPhones, which were tiny, smartphones are not much bigger now than they were in 2010
Why do you need to go back to 2010? Take one of the Xperia compact phones from 2015 and newer, remove the bottom bezel, reduce the size of the top bezel to fit the necessary things, and you have a small phone with a larger screen. Newer flagships are nowhere near that small, they are both becoming bigger and getting more screen.

just lost my s7, want to shoot myself

what is the best 'shitty' android that is compatible w verizon? looking for a very cheap option

XZ Premium is pretty good I guess, I mean coming off of a four year old Nexus 5 anything would be good. everything is fast and smooth, all the good stuff. my only gripe is that it keeps missing touches but that's probably a hardware problem.

S7.

The mate 10 has an ir blaster though

Tfw gonna upgrade my iPhone 6 + fo’ FREE
Fuck getting the iPhone X tho
Should I get the galaxy 8 or just wait it out for the 9?
AT&T so if anyone knows any other phones that are retailed by them that would be recommended that’d be neato

>Recent News:
>Too lazy to write em all and link so just google 'smartphone news'
fuck off that's the only reason I check these

Do I HAVE to root my phone in order to block ads in all apps? That's really the only reason I would root my phone. I'm not finding many guides for my phone, and the ones I'm seeing are in broken English so that makes me not so confident.

Do you guys wash your phones?

God i can't wait to rub my dick all over the N7P