Anyone have a Pebble?

Anyone have a Pebble?

Are they worth getting in 2018?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.getpebble.com/2016/12/07/fitbit/
investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2016/Fitbit-Inc-Acquires-Assets-from-Pebble/default.aspx
engadget.com/2017/04/05/your-pebble-watch-will-still-work-after-its-servers-shut-down/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I got one, thins still work for now but I am keeping an eye out for opensource ROMs and stuff

no, unless you insist on not carrying your phone with you

I do have 2. Original and pebble 2.

YMMV however some functions have stopped working (eg voice dictation). Essentially, you're buying hardware with no support that could die at any time.

I never understood the appeal of these things, you'd have to be pretty fucking important and busy to require notifications on your wrist at all times.
Apparently most people didn't get it either, because pebble and any smartwatch company that didn't pivot into making fitness monitor devices went belly up.

No. Latest version of app breaks my phone's bluetooth and they're ending all support in april which means no voice texting or uploading of watchfaces.

It allows me to make a decision on whether it is worth paying attention to the phone itself or whether it's a waste of my time. In that case I can delete/reply without even using the phone.

sounds like a first world problem

this

I don't give a fuck about what they think I give a fuck about, but if I could have some kind of simple system for piping text to a wrist mounted screen, I might be interested.

Yet another failure of Proprietary Information Capitalism.

Sure. Or maybe my own, specific circumstances imply certain requirements.
But I'm guessing that comparing the needs of a farmer in Africa and those of, say, a pilot makes everything a first world problem, eh?

third worlders don't usually have an opportunity to become pilots, so what are you arguing?

eat shit, dirtbound bitch.

>I never understood the appeal of these things, you'd have to be pretty fucking important and busy to require notifications on your wrist at all times.
It's not so much that it's required, it's just that it's so nice to have. It's a convenience thing, and if you ever owned a pebble you realize just how great it is.

Are you literally saying that 3rd world countries have no pilots?

i didn't realize how much I wanted to charge my watch every single day, along with my laptop, phone, and handheld.

The battery life of my pebble is over 6 days on average.
Bad bait.

describe the general sequence of events required to seek employment as a pilot so as to be busy enough to require a smartwatch

a pebble lasts about a week and charges in a couple hours

an amazfit bip which is similar lasts 45 days on average if you turn off everything but notifications

I do not know. I am not a pilot.

But I know that 3rd world countries produce their own pilots.

And you are deflecting my point from different people having different needs to "hurr durr 3rd world countries have no pilots". A pilot would not be able to check his phone mid air, would he?

How lazy can a human get?

I only want a convenient way to pause and change the music I'm listening on my phone without having to take out my phone every time.

Probably not since Pebble shut down operations back in 2016 and discontinued all further development. They've handed the torch over to Fitbit now.

blog.getpebble.com/2016/12/07/fitbit/

investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2016/Fitbit-Inc-Acquires-Assets-from-Pebble/default.aspx

Yes been using pic related for 8 months now and the only problem I have with it is the screen scratches easily.

Still using mine, though the battery has gone down to between 2.5 - 3 day runtime with age (a bit over 2 years of use).

Still appreciate longer battery between charges, always on screen, and waterproofing, with sleep tracking and notifications, but it is showing age as the pebble time scratches very easily, hasn't been updated in about a year since it went belly up, and a few features such as diction no longer work, and other features could potentially break with further aging.

Really wish their time 2 came to fruition, since it had the bigger screen and heart rate monitor with even better battery life, but oh well...

I'd recommend that, unless you can get it for $20-30, I'd shop around for something else, as it's a product that has been on the down cycle, and although it works fine for my needs atm, it could very well break with next Android update.

Just one more thing you have to be careful with and charge every night

>charge every night
>pebble

7 day battery life

I really like my Apple Watch, but if I were on the Android side, I would probably cop a pebble over anything Samsung or Motorola offers.

Friend at work swears by them, they seem OK but I only want a wrist thing that does continuous HRM, but can't be bothered spending top dollar on a Garmin

Yeah its fine. I have the pebble time steel, use it just for notifications while Im working/driving

As a unit student it is very useful. I get to screen notifications in class, and since I feel the vibration I can put my phone in silent mode and not have a fucking obnoxious vibration every notification.

Also, I have a calendar as a watch face which helps me remember if I have any events to go to without opening my phone. A final shill point is the music control, whole not exclusive to pebble, it is hella convenient to be able to see the song playing and control the audio.

Pomodoro timer and sleep as android (sleep tracking) complete my watch.

Bought the Pebble 2 and am sad to loose voice replies since I won't be able to respond to people in the shower or other specific moments.

gotta 3d print new buttons for my pebble 2, they ended up disintegrating.

I just wanted a riceable dumbwatch on my wrist. Pebble offered that function.

It was discontinued in 2016. Pebble app store, online forum, cloud development tool, voice recognition, and voice replies will stop working in June 2018. Why would anyone get one now

>tfw Pebble got discontinued
Are there any other good E-INK smartwatches? Preferably that come with their own sdk

it's not e-ink, it's "e-paper"
effectively a low light output LCD with a reflective coating so that ambient light can light the display instead of requiring a backlight at all times

but also no I don't believe any others exist

Amazfit Bip is the new Pebble watch

>Anyone have a Pebble?
I do. It's good for looking at notifications on your wrist in a somewhat socially appropriate way.

>Are they worth getting in 2018?
Hell no. End of life because Pebble fucked their finances and went under. Also, normies consider staring at your watch to be even ruder than looking at your phone. Gonna get a Casio when this thing dies.

Oh yeah, Pebble's build quality is shit. So if you get a working one, it will start having hardware problems in a matter of months.

Amazfit Bip. Also has vastly superior battery life as well. Displays less colors than the Pebble Time, 8 colors instead of 64.
Screen is always on, seems to use the same Sharp Memory LCD screens as the Pebble.

deprecated

I do have a Pebble.

Whether I recommend one or not? Depends if you get one real cheap. They still do everything without a hitch though.

That said, there's nothing really on its level at the moment. Fitbit fucked up real hard on the Ionic, but their next one might be good.

If I want to see something specific on the Pebble, I can just easily make a watchface, use tasker, or even make a full watchapp.

I wouldn't bother since fitbit killed them.

had a pebble, but went for apple watch

only thing i miss was that cool rpg game and the custom faces

>they're ending all support in april which means no voice texting
I'm confused, why would I lose the ability to voice text?

I thought that was integral to the watch and the phone.

Used to go through their servers - which are now offline.
They 'may' divert this via google or other service, but until then, RIP

I just sent a voice text via my Pebble.

Or was the tense in your post backwards and the servers haven t shut down yet?

engadget.com/2017/04/05/your-pebble-watch-will-still-work-after-its-servers-shut-down/

Well, I can't reply via voice text.

Doesn't Pebble use the Android Wear app backend for voice stuff?

I do. I still enjoy using it when I don't feel like wearing my Apple Watch. Always on display is nice and the battery life is a huge plus. Go for it if you want.

>smart watch
no

would rather this pebble

dont get a pebble if you work a fast food job (or any job that's a combination of: heat, water, sweat, and accidental bumps.)

Pebbles were designed by sillicon valley millionaires FOR sillicon valley millionaires, so if you have a desk job where you sit around and do NOTHING, then maybe- MAYBE- your pebble won't fall apart within a year.

I have owned EVERY generation of pebble- right from the very first one- and even though I've had a lot of fun programming for Pebble, I personally am sick of them falling apart on me and getting scratched all the time.

Even though I'm currently watchless at the moment, I want my next watch to be something STURDY that won't die on me so easily. I hate having to resort to old school $7 casios every time my smart watch craps out.