/wt/ watch thread, reminder this is real edition

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=NxvRb2o5NBU

Properly boxing a watch for shipping:
youtube.com/watch?v=7kP7SAXqiZw
>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rolexpassionreport.com/5950/the-rolex-deep-sea-special-first-dss-prototypes-made-between-1953-and-the-final-deepest-dive-of-piccard-and-walsh-in-1960-and-the-later-dss-display/
youtube.com/watch?v=7kP7SAXqiZw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also real

>tfw want a black bay but wristlet

is this watch a joke or something?

There is a trend nowadays for watches that are overengineered...so, why shouldn't Rolex do it too.
>First for Seagull MasterRace

>is this watch a joke or something?
why would you say that?

You know

For children

It's just rolex pushing the limits of water resistance. How do you think a watch with 12 kilometers of water resistance would look?

>How do you think a watch with 12 kilometers of water resistance would look?
like an F91w filled with oil

Good one.

convince me not to buy a SARB017
im this close

If you need convincing you're already too far gone to save

just buy the fruity green and gold fag watch if you want

Rolex makes serious watches for serious people

the fuck is that

The prices are going up right now but they're going to re-release the alpinist at Basel or soon thereafter. People are going to realize it's a fucking seiko not a Rolex and the old ones will go down to their original price point. Now is a bad time to buy

Rolex Deepsea Special

rolexpassionreport.com/5950/the-rolex-deep-sea-special-first-dss-prototypes-made-between-1953-and-the-final-deepest-dive-of-piccard-and-walsh-in-1960-and-the-later-dss-display/

haha what the hell

It uses a very average movement.

Aesthetically it's harder to match against your every day wear than you realize.

It's compass feature is useless.

Anyone have comments from this? Maybe i can buy it, but I don't know if it fake. It's from the 70s

Looks like a poo in loo special.

>It uses a very average movement.
The 6r15 is a perfectly good mid range movement, I'd take one over the lower grades of ETA 2824.

What? I know the joke but i can´t relationate.

these sorts of garish dial colors are usually the hallmarks of the pajeet redial

fuck me, thanks
any idea what they might do for new release re: SARB033/035/017?

indians on ebay have a tendency to repaint dials and destroy watches when they sell them.

NEVER buy anything vintage from india off of ebay.

How in the hell did you get one of these? I've only seen one in a museum...

for you my bad

Probably downgrade to 4r movements like they did with the cocktail time. 6r is getting moved up market, the sarbs were the only $300 watches using it.

You don't, they're prototypes which is why you only see them in museums.

>The 6r15 is a perfectly good mid range movement

For ~$450 ?

Get the heck out of here with your hecking nonsense.

For the same price on ebay you can get some very solid Steinhart and CW diving watches that are as if not better finished than that SARB.

Once you reach that price range you may as well start considering Sinn.

>For the same price on ebay you can get some very solid Steinhart and CW diving watches that are as if not better finished than that SARB.
I have a $600 Steinhart 44mm and the finishing is dogshit, my skx is better

No no, this is on a jewerly on Argentina.

It's an exposition complication. They put one on the arm of the sub James Cameron took to the Mariana trench.

I've got a Sea Dweller. Even that is over-engineered. I don't even dive, but at least it looks good.

The deep see is way too bulky.

Is that the country full of spics who think they are white?

>For the same price on ebay you can get some very solid Steinhart and CW diving watches that are as if not better finished than that SARB.
What does case finishing have any relation to the technical merits of differing movements? Steinhart's is shit by the way.

Yes. Maradona, Charly Garcia, Messi, Favaloro, Gardel, etc etc

If you like it get it man. I love mine. And that user is wrong about it not working with every day wear. It is not like it is neon green. It is dark enough that it goes with everything I wear just as well as any black dialed watch might.

Steinhart is as much dogshit as the SARB in question.

Read the WUS reviews on Steinhart of late. It's not worse than near peer competitors.

I don't hate Seiko. But sometimes I think they are given far too much credit for their "mid range" line.

>daniels

well fuck me

This is my brand new Steinhart, look how off that bezel lume pip is

It’s shit

My $160 SKX has far better finishing

I love the sea-dweller...but that's more because I can't stand the damn cyclops. I know some people remove the cyclops from the submariner, but it always looks rather odd. The Seadweller looks awesome though...but I like the older versions (the ones with red lettering that are supposed to be rare).

Here, have another...

Oh and the reason it’s off the bracelet is because one of the spring bars fell apart on my wrist while I was sitting on the couch, no kidding

I am ordering some for two dollars that will be better

What would possess you to buy something like this?

I want a deep-sea, I am 6’5 240 lbs and this is basically an homage to that

I just wanted to wear it around and see how it was for size before spending $13,000

8.75 inch wrists srs

The new ones come with the cyclops. They apparently solved the problem they were having at pressure with the UV activated glue.

I totally agree. I love the look of this watch. So much more aesthetic than a sub.

Group shot. Missing the OP and YM.

Too bad money can't buy taste.

Set to proper time

That pip is way the fuck off, it is very noticeable at arms length, Should I send a picture to the factory and see if they will fix it?

Stay mad

Oh dear...well, I guess it means I just have to save even more for this. I've seen them in antique shops (high market ones) before...they're gorgeous, probably because they also have the old style crystal instead of the flat sapphire.

fucker...

double red is pretty badass. Mine is a 2005 i think, ceramic bezel. I think I paid 8500.

I'd only keep the 114270 and the lange out of those, personally. At least make the RO a 15202st.

Does Lange make a watch you wouldn't keep?

That Patek might be the least impressive Patek I've ever seen.

Yours is still an excellent watch, don't get me wrong...it's one of two from Rolex that appeals to me aesthetically. Because I haven't bought one (and it's very far down the list), I thought I'd comment as an outsider. Also, you got the best of all worlds: no cyclops, AND the ceramic bezel. It's the modern ideal choice in my book.

I'd rather have a guilloche dial VC patrimony, or a chronometre bleu over a saxonia, for instance. The 1815 chrono is gorgeous though.

Oh, I love the shit out of it. I wish you the best of luck getting that double red.

Someone here was posting their 1815 chrono the other day.

>For the same price on ebay you can get some very solid Steinhart and CW diving watches
>very solid Steinhart and CW diving watches
>Steinhart and CW

Logo shenanigans aside Chris Ward does give you a pretty high quality watch. You're certainly right about Steinhart though.

I prefer this one, personally.

but i want a gold watch 100m quartz preferably.

whos got ideas? (i have 3 of these btw)

Thanks; I've seen the Double-Reds in Piccadilly Arcade, and they're numerous enough to be 'available'. Once you get into this kind of watch territory, you're paying top dollar anyway, so the issue isn't so much the price as it is finding one that doesn't require much help to start wearing immediately. A cal. 321 Speedmaster is in roughly the same zone of rarity (roughly being the operative word here), but that's at the top of 'Da List'.

How has your Seadweller treated you? Have you worn it in the water? Have you had to get it serviced yet? Does anyone ask about the helium valve on the side of the case? I love that solution to the helium valve incidentally...far more aesthetically pleasing than the Omega solution...far more subtle.

oops, subject is i wear this everyday

Nice collection, but kinda boring, you rich fuck.

Type gold seiko 100m quartz and buy the one you like the looks of

>How has your Seadweller treated you?
Great, except I have one screw on the bracelet that keeps backing out.

>Have you worn it in the water?
nah

>Have you had to get it serviced yet?
No. I'm going back to the dealer soon, and I need to remember to ask if he serviced it.

>Does anyone ask about the helium valve on the side of the case?
lol no. No one even notices it's a Rolex, and even the banker bros with subs wouldn't know the difference.

Give that screw some loctite my dude.

haha ya i mean i know that much already

>own two seikos

how did you make your money?

Do you actually wear all these? Why even keep the sub? Just because you can and don't need money/watches for trade?

>Properly boxing a watch for shipping:
>youtube.com/watch?v=7kP7SAXqiZw
you rascal

Thoughts on these Orient flight watches?
I'm considering either the cream one as a replacement for my Seiko 5 or alternatively spending a bit more for an Orient moon phase watch

lel

everyone knows you mail an empty box and wear the watch when you leave the island

I checked out the new pieces from sigh at Lange today. The triple split is built like a brick and just as heavy - the movement is absolutely cavernous, it is so deep it looks like you could fall in. The aventurine dial 1815 was nice but ultimately a little underwhelming. They didn't have the tribute to Walter Lange yet, but I'll probably see the steel version when it's touring with Phillips.

are you this extravagant in all things or just watches? what'd you drive to the store? or did you get chauffeured?

Thanks for the report. You're doing god's work user.

I (now) live in a commieblock and constantly struggle to get a time signal on my GWM5610
I've only worn it the past three days but the last day it managed to get a time signal was the 24th
Doesn't help with my autism

>Being this new

what is it pasta? I know there are multiple anons here with Langes

What? I mean, my collection in total is only about 15k, I'm not buying a Lange yet. I ubered to the boutique like any affluent New Yorker going crosstown

Thanks for the update user. I miss living in London because the Lange store was always so damn convenient. As long as there weren't any motorcycle gangs in wait just outside the store...

Did you know anyone can go to stores and look at things?
Did you know it's also pretty easy to get into auctions and look at watches there too?
Did you know you can do these things without intent to buy?

>The triple split is built like a brick and just as heavy
Not surprising considering what it is.

I thought he was one of the super rich fucks here

>the balance cock is still hand engraved despite being mostly blocked

A lot of watch reporter type people cut their teeth in stores and auction houses. They go in, handle watches, take photos, and then report on their impressions.

A real beauty :)

I stopped by breguet and the folks there asked if I was a watch journalist.

Very nice.

Anybody here who's ever considered getting a G757 should get one. You won't regret it.

I wish Seiko was putting their new homage movement in watches that weren't fucking hideous

They're not hideous, they're "full figured"

>Orient moon phase watch
Do you mean the 24 hour indicator?

That is the most disgusting wrist shot I have ever seen and the watch itself is far from the problem.

This is now a digital quartz thread

Yea that might be it, I saw it in store and thought it looked slick