Miss me yet?

Miss me yet?

god no

>drop phone
>it falls apart like a lego car

>Drop phone
>CPU falls out

> use case

The only interesting thing smartphone tried in the last several years...and of course Google killed it.

>slide all pieces out like cereal from a box so i can reassemble

What habbend?

>Miss me yet?
Yes

no since it never existed

kek retard they killed it because it was stupid idea

>drop phone
>it shatters into a million pieces because its a thin fragile piece of shit

I'm sad about it never existing, but with the world of SoCs, there's really no place for it.

>there's really no place for it.
Why not? There are so many gizmos in a phone besides the SoC, so not being able to separately replace the CPU and GPU isn't really a big deal.

if modular laptops (yes there are barebones) are barely a thing due to size and cost then modular cell phones will never be.

Actually I was writing a response to you, but you're kinda right. If we had a phone base, then be able to replace the SoC, camera, battery, screen would be pretty sweet. That said, there's not too much else in a phone that you'd be replacing.

Definitely not enough to get like 8 separate modules attached to the phone, but it's kinda getting there.

>due to size and cost
I think its more due to a lack of standards and it would just lead to too much inflexibility for designers

They killed it when they realised people would only buy a new battery every other year. It also forced the developers to make a more PC-like generic system that required bigger functional margins to make random things work together.
First they removed the ability to swap batteries and screens, then they killed it entirely.

It was just too disruptive
:^)

Laptops are modular. With my laptop I've
- Replaced the DVD drive with an SSD
- Replaced the WiFi card
- Upgraded the ram
- Replaced the battery

nice now try replacing the cpu or the graphics or motherboard or literally any actual essential part of the laptop

Laptops are not modular, nor even close to being capable of upgrading like computers.

Which is autistic.

Not even a little bit. Unlike the people who proposed that shit or hopped on it's bandwagon, I always understood that it could never work the way they described it.

You're forgetting that Samsung, Apple and co all make money selling you a new frame, LCD, storage, etc every year.

No, it's smart business sense.

>drop phone
>it falls apart
>put it back together again
>continue with day like nothing happened
YES PLEASE

also:
>drop phone
>screen shatters
>slide the screen right off
>replace with another screen for maybe $10
>continue with your day like nothing happened

This, people need to realize we live in capitalism wether they like it or not

With the enormous profits and how cheap they are to produce you can't really blame manufacturers for not giving the smallest fuck about the idea.

I can do than with my chinkpad.

>screen for maybe $10
Yeah no.

The fact that people think this is a good idea is making me depressed. Seriously, how retarded can people be? Do they not understand the basics of efficiency or the fact that standards change way too fast for this to be viable?
We don't even have that much modularity in desktop PCs and it's infinitely easier to do it there compared to fucking cellphones.

Not really, no

>replace with another screen for maybe $10
That's where you're wrong, kiddo...

Yea, and phone blocks, but they were never really out...

As soon as they revealed that screen and SOC are not replaceable I lost all the interest.

>Introducing Project ARA: the fully modular smartphone
[years later, after radio silence]
>Reintroducing Project ARA: the slightly modular smartphone
[in an alternate universe where even more years pass and Google hasn't yet killed the project]
>Re-reintroducing Project ARA: the battery is removable, I guess

It's because most posters here are probably underage nowadays. They just look at shiny new gadgets without thinking of how these things work electronically or what it takes to actually build them and have a sustainable economic model. It's a lost cause.

How can we miss something that never really existed?

>drop phone
Why would you drop it?
Take care of your phone and it won't drop.

I don't understand why they didn't just use tabs and latches to keep the modules in place instead of complicated magnets that could potentially fuck with components, or just have a backcover to hold everything in place, the same way they hold the battery in

not really, the heads of the project ran off to some other project and google canned it cause it was costing too much
they should continue it though, what infuriated me was the gizmodo post saying that nobody needs a customisable phone and just let apple/samsung decide everything for you

but it's the weakest links, the non essential parts that end up breaking first
you're more likely to punch the screen, or snap off the USB port than you are to break the CPU/GPU
you can still upgrade the ram, storage in many laptops, replace battery and get much more mileage out

the screen was supposed to be replaceable
the SOC is the core, of course you won't upgrade that, same way upgrading your cpu or ram needs a mobo that actually supports them

It is true that some efficiency would be lost by having all modules (at least the ones dedicated to any particular task) use the same electrical standards, but you gotta realize maybe that is worth it for the ability to upgrade things piecemeal.
It certainly works for desktops. Sure, there are different standards, but when manufacturers make an effort to stretch the cycles then each cycle can last for quite a while, especially when changes are backwards compatible.
Also part of the reason standards don't last more is that there are way too many players to have a stable platform. If the whole ecosystem was controlled by a single entity then I think they could make it happen.
On the other hand, I agree that technically making a modular phone would be very challenging (but possible). The main obstacle is that it doesn't make too much business sense to put so much effort on R&D only to make something that lasts three times as much as the current product and is only going to be purchased by a few nerds, even if the margins are slightly higher.

socket CPU, socket GPU via MXM, 51nb aftermarket motherboards, screens are replaceable