AMD APU general

Recently put together an APU (A8 9600 / b350/ 8GB ram) based computer for school work. Tested it in Debian with browser, office and a virtual machine running Win7 x64 with Mathcad loaded and can't find any flaws except the tiny stock cooler.
Anybody else using APU based machines? Curious about the new Ryzen based APUs. The platform is perfect for me because it allows triple monitor support with just one chip of 65w TDP at a low price. Why aren't these more popular for productivity?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/amd-sending-out-free-processors-to-solve-firmware-flashing-catch-22/
youtube.com/watch?v=Qtiiu7m6V4M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm stick stuck on an old A10 6800k, I have a cheap am4 board though and plan on upgrading soon, I have the A!0 paird with a 750ti

I have an A10 7850k overclocked to 4,1GHz paired with a 1060 and it performs like dogshit. 30FPS avg in CSGO

i was using an a10 5700 with an r7 260x for years.

i had more than 100fps on 4:3 in csgo, but sometimes dips to 60....

if you want to game buy a used xeon x5650 (30$, x58 mobo 100$, oc to 4ghz and enjoy performance of a r5 1600) or a new ryzen 2200g.

I have a small little chip , athlon 5350 . I haven't used it in months though

I have an A10 undervolted as an office PC. does everything it has to do smoothly.

>Why aren't these more popular for productivity?
Intel cartel.

I know all synthetic tests ( at least pre-Ryzen) and gaming performance don't do APUs any favors but gaming aside, factoring for price and the fact that you have only one chip (no GPU) I feel like these aren't popular as they should be for general PC use. Still, probably most regular desktop tasks have moved to smartphones or at least laptops so only heavy use remained on desktops.

Care to share details about the undervoltage? Which A10?

Cuz they don't have enough processing power for true productivity, and no, shit posting on 3 monitors in your moms basement is not productivity.

I beg to differ, reading, preparing articles in Latex and compiling them is much improved on three monitors. I run sets of first order differential equations in Octave and models of electro-mechanical systems in OModelica with ease. These are all legitimate productivity use cases in my book. First year mechanical engineering phd programme in 2.5 world country with focus on numerical modelling of dynamic systems.

>A8 9600
Why buy this when 2200G is already here?

Because you just spent $300 on a machine that would be outperformed for office tasks by a $20 Core2Duo and a $15 video card.

not at my office, so I can't look up the exact details. basically the A10s run at much higher voltages than needed so just dial in a considerably lower voltage (google for recommended settings) and you're done.

can confirm, running a 7860K at 4.2 and 1.27V

Current motherboards need an older CPU to flash a new BIOS anyway, so why not?

Bought before 2200g was released. Was like 60 bux, wanted to have the AM4 platform and test my luck with this disposable processor as I work my way up the Ryzen range in the next years if need may arise.
Replaced a HP Dc 8000 ( C2Q Q6600 / 8 GB RAM / some quadro board). Performance is miles ahead on the APU, the q6600 has a tdp of 105 W and the GPU had only dual monitor support. Required 3-4 reboots before properly working, suspect the mobo was shot as it froze boot with multiple OSes and drives...

I am planning on getting an 2400G soon. Replacing 1600/1030 with the APU. The most demanding software are older games as I don't play triple A titles at all. I have never used anything that takes advantage of the 1600 multi threading performance and its single threaded performance is similar. Honestly I just want some new hardware to tinker with. These stronger APUs should be a lot of fun to mess around with. It will also give something to do while waiting for the Ryzen refresh. If they can hit higher clocks plus some small IPC improvements may switch to a new chip. The other cool thing with the APU is that they allow you to have a very minimalist and aesthetic PC since they save so much space.

>2018
>buying APOOs

>normies
>productivity
kek

>he thinks the society is run by autistics

>society is run
>doesn't know that society plods

AMD will lend you an older APU so you can flash the BIOS.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/amd-sending-out-free-processors-to-solve-firmware-flashing-catch-22/

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE RYZEN 3 LAPTOPS!
IT'S BEEN 2 MONTHS SINCE RYZEN 2300u IS RELEASED
WHAT THE FUCK
CMON
I NEED A NEW LAPTOP
SHIT

>A10 7850k
Why did you get this POS?
Everyone should know better by now, the A series is absolute GARBO.

Still a lot more responsive than the garbage i5 Haslel I'm forced to use at uni

on a desktop?

you would get significantly more fps with a 1060 and a 4xxx i5.

Are you using a G1820? Because that's the only thing I can think that performs less than some pre-Ryzen AMD APU.

I was looking at how the 2200g performed on the latest fighting games. With 1500mhz oc it can run tekken 7 at 1080p60 at midhigh quality. Would be a great candidate for a fighting cabinet and emulators.

Planning to buy once April comes in with new sets of APUs.

Posting from a LLano 3870K with 16 GB ram & win 7
It still goes alright, even downclocked to 2.5

>2200G
INTEL STILE CUSTOMER FUCKING
youtube.com/watch?v=Qtiiu7m6V4M
WHEN AMD WAS GREAT (FX SERIES) YOU PREFFER INTEL
WHEN AMD BECOME SHIT YOU LOVE IT

>intel uses cum on their cpus for cooling
>mu-muh perfect AMD, they would never JEW us
>this happens
>AMD fanboys are all quiet
I can't even imagine the amount of mental gymnastics they now have to go through to rationalize this to themselves.