Im looking to get a cheap kobo ereader or Kindle for reading manga, light novels and books...

Im looking to get a cheap kobo ereader or Kindle for reading manga, light novels and books, what's the best models which allow for downloading books and manga on a pc and loading them onto the reader? Are there any models which allow for connecting to an FTP or SMB share to get the files? Also what's the process for getting the files onto the reader and would I need a certain size or aspect ratio for manga to display nicely on it?

Any Kobo can be patched to run FTP and telnet afaik, they all run Linux, and are very hackable up til the Aura HD

Haven't we gotten over the whole ereader fad yet?

Go buy real books. It's not like music where you need to horde thousands of songs on one device, because you only read a very small number of books at once, if not just one.

Ebooks are dead.

I don't like having to hold the pages open, makes it hard to read one handed or laying down

Manga on a 6 inch reader won't be good. There is a converter out there for it though. Using Calibre any file type can be made to work with any reader. Make sure to get one with a built in light.
E-readers allow for easy pirating and the ability to get nearly any book instantly. Plus smaller than mass produced paper backs.

Loads of academic papers are digital only.
It also helps if you read in foreign languages.
I agree that it's a niche but since I switched from tablet to Kindle, I'm learning much more and I'm concentrating

kys

I absolutely LOVE e-ink but I hate Kindle readers as they allow pretty much zero customization. No useful features, not even a calculator or a notepad app. Get something that runs Android.

What model is that? Looks nice

>reading manga
Android tablet / smartphone. Forget e-ink maymay, too many color pages and Tachiyomi and having an array of downloaders are the easiest way.

> Are there any models which allow for connecting to an FTP or SMB share to get the files?
Also trivial

It's my Kindle 2011 but it's complete crap. It crashes all the time while web browsing because it has very little RAM so I have to keep Javascript disabled. As I said earlier, it has no features other than the reading app and the experimental browser so any attempts to unlock the potential of its e-ink screen are a pain in the ass. I had to write my own php/ajax notebook app to be able to take notes and it's still cumbersome as hell.

>Go buy real books.
>It's not like music where you need to horde thousands of songs
Kys you fucking baiter. I have about 100 books on my kindle right now that I have read (just couldnt be bothered to delete them, I still have copies on a pc)
If I buy a hundred real paper books that is exactly what hording is except space on hdd is cheap much cheaper than wasted space in my house to store all those paper books.

Forget it, for manga (or anything that is not just pure text) get samsung tab s, either 8 inch or larger. Readinf manga on an oled screen is g-d tier

Samsung tabs are about twice as expensive as equally useful IPS display tablets which definitely do not look bad either. Even if the black areas glow a little and the OLED black areas are black.

It's like #101010 vs #010101 in terms of HTML color code. You'll not consciously realize this.

>buy something purposely designed to do one task
>"I need muh features like everything not related to reading books"

I use a Kindle touch. For black and white manga, it looks great. For color, not so great. I like reading books on it, works really well. I use Calibre to convert things, and a simpler Google search will tell you what format to use. Then just a simple USB transfer to get the books on the device.

>buy a swiss knife
>remove every tool except for one
>it's much better now

>use a multi-tool as analogy for a single purpose one
You are that retarded I see

Yes I would say that a device that runs linux has the potential to be used for multiple purposes. Also, if it's designed just for reading books, why include the experimental browser?

not to mention that the Kindle Keyboard has speakers and a microphone and I still use it to listen to music every once in a while

>You'll not consciously realize this.
Thats the thing. YOU WILL. Once you go OLED you cannot go back.

I have latest paperwhite, it runs linux, I even jailbroke it but it has so little ram that hardly anything runs on it. Running jailbreak itself is stretching the limits of ram.

Is anyone aware if putting Debian on these kills the battery life? I assume the default OS is optimized for battery life

If you enjoy so much an embedded device with a fraction of the processing power of an entry level tablet, go for it.

>g-d
Get into the oven

E-paper requires energy only when refreshing the image, otherwise the total consumption is 0. Again this device was not made to do computing or entertainment, it has a very limited scope which excels at.

And by entertainment I mean shitposting on your favorite board or watching the latest GNU/Linus video

>excels at
>took them years to roll out an update that implemented eager loading
>loading some larger pdfs still consistently crashes the device

Maybe you shouldn't load brutally scanned books, where each page is a 10mb by itself.

I believe epaper claims but what doesnt make sense is when charge my kindle and then switch it off and leave for a week or two it always runs out of battery(also I have flight mode always on).
Few months back I cracked the screen (or the digitiser) of my xperia z3c, it still works I can use it with mouse so recently I booted it up after months and it still had like 30% charge.
So why the fuck low power kindle with much bigger battery run out of charge so fast???

you probably just need to replace the battery

I'm not even talking about scanned ebooks (which non-Kindles excel at reading). I'm talking about ebooks made of text and pictures
>Murray's Microbiology
>874 pages
>mostly text
>virtually unreadable on my Kindle

Somewhat related question, where can I find ebooks, especially old stuff that isn't under copywrite?

Try they have trillion of stuff

Thank you. I forgot all about /t/. I see project gutenberg is still around too

Two choices for Kobo: first-gen H2O for the microSD and 6.8 inch screen costing 160 USD or the Aura One Limited Edition for the 32GB capacity and 8 inch screen costing 280 USD. Here's a side-by-side comparison with Koreader.
Kindle has the Oasis with 32GB capacity but costs around 300 USD for a 7 inch screen.

Aura One has a 7.8 inch screen. Not an 8 inch screen.

Which one is easier to install gentoo on?

Question is, can it display a full A4-sized paper or it'll chop it down? I'd like to by an ebook buy I mostly read textbooks, which is quite inconvenient, since it more random-access than sequential read.

Just borrow books from the library.

Depends on the view mode you pick. It can scale down the PDF's page to fit all of the content. How readable it is would depend on how big your screen is. It can also fit only the width of the page and you'll need to scroll down or turn to the next page to see the next portion.
Your use doesn't sound like something reading for a long time, the main point of e-ink. More like looking up a small portion and reading it quickly. A tablet would be better since you won't be staring at the screen long enough.

Nah, I've used OLED, there's one OLED display, and I still don't give a fuck. Our perception is pretty relative.

There is a 99.9999% chance or so that you only started caring about blacks being slightly not enough black in frontal view once marketing got to you.

OTOH, if OLED makes you really happy regardless, go for it. user could also check. I say it's really not worth paying twice as much or more for basically the same thing.

I recall they were fucking locked down and very proprietary, and only a few specific models (Kobo Aura was one) had someone install an usable Linux on.

There are a few Windows / Intel tablets with a normal bootloader where it's the usual fare.

I use k2pdfopt to adjuste A4 and also 2 column text. It does a good job. For manga I use KCC, it has epub format so I think it also works for other eReaders.