Best upgrades to increase sale price of used laptops?

Best upgrades to increase sale price of used laptops?

People seem to pay more for shitty 5400rpm 500gb drives than 250gb ssds worth twice as much.

>People seem to pay more for shitty 5400rpm 500gb drives than 250gb ssds worth twice as much.

wat?

Sauce that up or: No.

Personal experience. I quit my cushy state IT job to refurbish laptops FT on ebay and local sales.

I started out installing SSD's in everything I sold but they barely moved. Since buying the shittiest mechanical drives with larger capacity for half the cost, I haven't sat on a laptop for more than 4 days.

create huge dynamic vhd on small old hd, mount on boot. most will never notice

DEVLISH

you put a bigger number in the price field

Why would you quit your job for that

government IT must be the worst, I'd guess

probably a window into the days when cavemen bashed on rocks

well that does make sense since a lot of people might not know what a ssd is, and they just go with bigger number = better

People like RAM and big HDDs.
Old folks are not familiar with SSDs at ALL.
Parents look for lots of RAM and storage.

you could always install MS office, Adobe suite, etc.
Assuming you own license keys, of course. wink, wink.

And for most people the difference in speed is not noticeable.

How easy is it to make a living income doing this? Where do you get the laptops from? Does "refurbishing" merely entail replacing dead hardware and cleaning it? Is it better to buy (mostly) working old laptops with meh hardware and upgrade RAM/HDD or buy "for parts" laptops in bulk and assemble working ones out of them? I've been NEET for 2 months and I hate it.

Refurbished just means you sell something used at slightly less than something new.

So you literally just find cheap deals and sell them back at a higher price?

add value first

How much added value is "Comes with X included"? Is it safe to install/sell pirated versions of Windows/Office/Photoshop/etc. or would I eventually get in trouble.

I dont think you would get in trouble

just sell stuff on ebay

I work in a shitty retail store that sells computers, main demo is ancients and middle age know-it-alls. They always NEED "at least 16gb of ram and at least 1Tigabyte hard drive" so they can post on facebook and do their taxes.

So you are doing this professionally, full time and come here to get advice?

>working for the state
Communists not welcome

Yeah, just so fucking inefficient. The bureaucratic red tape necessary for the simplest of issues killed it for me. Took 2 years to get approval for a $175 SSL certificate that prevented Android phones from accessing the wifi campus-wide.

Already install W10 Pro and Office 2016 Pro Plus on every machine with reactivation checks every 6 months. Have a university license for virtually anything (Autocad, Solidworks, Adobe, etc) but no one seems to care outside of Office.

Very easy, but depends on your location IMO. Most of my product is sourced locally from Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, or the local university app. I live in an incredibly poor rural midwestern US rustbelt town. No one here knows anything about tech and anything posted above $100 won't move for shit, no matter how good. I.E., girl posted a current model Dell that goes for $800 new for $450 (16gb ddr4, 512gb SSD, whatever is the latest high end quad core AMD APU, etc), and I'm meeting her in ~10 hours to buy it for $250. It goes for $500+ on eBay. "Refurbished" to me means anything from just a clean Windows install if everythings working, to anything required to fix all issues. Lastest ebay sale is an HP convertable 2-in-1 that needed a battery and screen from a local university student for $120. I have $75 invested in parts, and it sold for $450 within 2 days.

>I'm basically a 21st century flea market vendor: the post

Bruh this sounds like a fun project while you're young and broke but get a job

I'm 30. Dual bachelor's in MIS and BA. Seven IT certs (3x MS, Cisco, VMware, Juniper, CompTIA). Previously sysadmin for a ~$35 mil/yr nationwide occmed provider.

I make more doing this now only 2-3 hrs a day than I did working 60+ hr weeks in the corporate grind.

I just sold this $10 Goodwill VCR for $70.