What's the point of mItX cases?

What's the point of mItX cases?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fhsXqq4o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

to allow nitro autists bring their computer outside of their basement

Less space obviously.

remaining compact whilst having some sort of element of expandability and future proofing.
[/thread.]

they are cute, and I fell for the meme just to realize that mITX mobos are considerably more expensive here where I live.

I don't need a huge ass tower and taking less space is an advantage. I can move it around as much as I want and bring it to my parents home when I go visit them.

>do you only need one expansion card / gpu?
If yes, mini itx is the only form factor you need.

I don't get it when people buy full ATX towers and they have a single gpu and like two hard drives with a 120mm AIO
Cooler master elite 110 would do pretty much the same (elite 130 for longer gpus) and it has a footprint of a cubic foot.

I find microATX form factor to be the best compromise desu.

same
I will vote mATX > mITX

Couldn't you just buy them off newegg or amazon? Generally they are priced $20-30 cheaper than their bigger models with all of the same features and just less ports.

To house mITX boards.

don't bully loli cases

>loli case

Call me dumb but I travel a lot and like the idea of having an ITX case that I can easily pack around with me in the airport and that I can very easily deploy since I just gotta plug in a screen and keyboard and power at most

I had a miniITX case for a few years, I don't recommend it. Even the larger mITX cases are near impossible to work in if you have a tower heatsink and a GPU. mATX is nearly as small but gives a little more room to work in and you also sometimes get more than 2 DIMMs and 1 PCIe slot.

The only place where I might recommend mITX is something like a Ryzen APU build with the stock cooler.

>needs more than 2 DIMMs
What exactly requires you to use more than 32GB of RAM?

I have 16 GiB currently in 2 DIMMs. I plan to upgrade on Ryzen final release and add more RAM when that happens, rather than have to replace the memory I have now I can just fill the two unused DIMMs.

So you don't know how memory works. Great.

youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fhsXqq4o

Hardly, most mATX cases take like one inch to one and half inches of the height of their ATX counterpart, it's so negligible you may as well not even bother.

>tfw mini DTX is perfect for you but practically nonexistent

If you can't be bothered to watch the entire video, here's the relevant part:
Shops sell dual and quad channel kits for a very fucking good reason. Only those are tested and certified to work with each other in that configuration in perfect synchronicity.

Buying two sticks and later adding another two is a bad idea, even if they are the same fucking model, they won't always work, and then you have to return the new ones, sell the old ones, and buy a proper kit anyway.

>not having room for full CPU coolers and GPUs

Is new RAM more finicky? I've got dozens of older modules and whenever I put RAM in something I just grab a random assortment. The only time I've ever had to match modules was with my dual processor PowerMac G5

They look a bit smarter in the front room and thats about it desu.
Back in 2009ish I built one to use as a media player, did the job just fine before I had the whole house wired up to the real computer.

Was kind of expensive and there was nothing like the resources compared to now.

Even if the computer boots up, the two different modules might be used on a timing that's a lot slower than their original spec, and that's assuming they can work with the same clock. I had two different Kingston DDR2 1066MHz modules that refused to work at more than 800MHz.

And since Ryzen is ESPECIALLY sensitive to RAM, it's an even worse idea to buy different sticks of RAM later.

I had that case for awhile, I built an i7 870 + Radeon 5870 rig in there.

The orientation caused the GPU's fan to make a horrific rattle. Enjoy that.

That's nice, I've added memory to more machines than I care to count as a network admin and in my years building computers. Please, kindly fuck off.

There's a difference between something fitting and it being easy to work around. I had a Tri-X R9 290 and a Phanteks PH-TC14PE in a Phanteks EVOLV ITX, try removing the CMOS battery around all that shit.

I have a super lazy night job and mitx means I can take my whole desktop with me and use a good computer instead of using the piece of shit here. Picture relevant.

>I don't care about performance, main thing is it boots up
how about you fuck off

>implying
Yeah, I've had shit not work before when adding memory, but it's always been mismatched modules at different speeds. As for your quip about Ryzen memory compatibility, with recent AGESA it's not even much of an issue and the memory controller is on-die, so more than likely it won't even matter with a 4th gen processor.

You can fit full desktop class hardware in them, and the reduced size footprint makes it portable. I move around a lot and everything I own fits in a single travel case- including my desktop, monitor(25 inch), VR headset, and peripherals. It also looks better. I feel bad for people stuck with huge ass towers and worse hardware than myself

>recent AGESA
They clearly said that first generation Ryzens have a hardware issue, no fucking glorified firmware will fix its memory issues. Waiting for Ryzen V2 is the only way of making sure you won't have memory problems.

I have a 7700K at 4.8 GHz and a 112mm GTX 1080 in my node202. I have full access to the board. Dunno wtf you smoke bro

What are those cases? They look really comfy

S M O L L
M
O
L
L

Some aren't all that bad. I have my server based on an mITX setup. Many server motherboards have mITX forms. I have a fractal node 304 that holds 6 Full sized 3.5" HDD's. Perfect for an NAS.
For people who do heavy duty gaming builds and spend $150+ on a tiny case, pay a premium for a motherboard, they're stupid.

SilverStone FT03-Mini

Because it's smaller and less of an eyesore?

>people who aren't like me are stupid

Itx cases and mobos are about the same price as at. Maybe 20-40 dollars difference at the very high class. My first it case was 40 dollars, and my second one was 80. My first itx mobo was 70 dollars. My second was 130. That's incredibly normal. As long as you're running a single GPU, which is ideal, it is just fine for gaming builds.

Just built a Ryzen 2400G mITX using the discrete Vega 11 onboard. Whole thing cost less than a 1080ti and so far it can handle every task I throw at it with surprising speed. CPU itself is about as good or better than my i7 4770K and it'll run the few games I like at 60fps with the right settings. Pic related, it's the case I used.

Exactly. Glad to see you caught on. I know best.
eh. mITX just seems so limiting. 1 or 2 extra PCI/PCI-e ports is helpful. Audio not up to par? Add a sound card (much less messy than an external USB one). Looking to get a really good wireless connection? You can add a Wi-Fi card. More drives? Sata card. so on and so forth.

Guess I'm just old school. I prefer full ATX.

That's wrong though. The only time I have seen anyone mention hardware as a reason for memory compatibility issues is when an AMD rep said cheap B350 boards were part of the problem because they cheap out on the PCB and traces. It's primarily a microcode issue, which is also why XMP doesn't work. And as I said earlier, I'm not planning to upgrade until I upgrade the processor for 4th gen Ryzen anyway.

I don't have the picture with me but there was less than an inch between the CPU cooler and the GPU and no space at all toward the back of the case with the CPU cooler installed. There was just enough room above the CPU cooler to plug in the cooler fans, but the CMOS battery on my board was just below the socket near the backplane so I basically had to remove the CPU cooler or the GPU whenever I had to reset the CMOS.

Then you aren't keeping up with news properly.

Then please, enlighten me. Show me where someone confirmed it is a hardware issue.

Again, not like it really matters anyway, because the memory controller is on-die.

I'm not willing to dig up a random news article I've read last summer only because you weren't paying enough attention. I don't have anything to prove, you're the one who risks a bad purchase, not me.

>itx
get on my level

Sound card fair enough (don't know anyone that uses one, but they obviously have a use-case), but both mitx boards I have bought (one cheap, one expensive) have had built in slots for WiFi. If you buy a mitx for mass sata slots then you are objectively wrong.

Well, ten pages of search results and three Google searches later, I have found one comment on one article that gives any indication that there is a hardware issue with the memory controller. I think you're full of shit.

>resisting purchase advice this much
You niggers need to stop pretending you need help when you are just gonna go ahead and refuse it. Again, not my money, not my problem. Buy two additional RAM sticks, see where it gets you, I don't care, just don't start scratching your head when your PC performs worse than benchmarks would have you believe.

I didn't ask for purchase advice, faggot.

Built in Wi-Fi is never as good as a dedicated card. As for mass sata slots on mITX being wrong, well, pic related. All about what you buy though.

Solder an extrended switch to the battery circuit if it bothers you so much.

What's the ultimate ITX build for AMD socket and Linux support?

>I'm not willing to dig up a random news article I've read last summer only because you weren't paying enough attention.
Don't make things up, shill.

Asthetics. Yup, that's it. You have the space for a bigger more practical case.

Not built in WiFi, a built in slot. You can buy a mini PCIe card usually used in laptops and throw that in. Still a dedicated card, just a different form factor. Uses external antenna through slots in the i/o shield.

Confused as to what dimensions a server for that board would be, 8 sata slots and you are looking at a lot of space for storage.

I go to university abroad, but don't like bulky laptops, and find the compromises in high end laptops absurd (high price, little to no capacity to change components, very few laptops have the right combination of features.) I used to do the whole eGPU thing but that brings about its own whole set of compromises. Now I have a tiny SG13 that takes up about 1/4 of my suitcase and has space for four drives, 16gb of ram and a standard size (10.5") graphics card. I can take it with me when I go home, and do everything a regular computer can do (including mining, try that on a laptop.)

Lian-li makes some mITX cases that are centered around mass storage. 6+ 3.5" spots.In my Fractal Node 304 I was able to fit 6 full sized HDD's and 2 SSD's.

>less ports

Fewer.

Minecraft LAN parties.

>some mouth breather posts a Literal Cuck Tips video and tries to educate someone else on how to buy RAM
>"""""you have to buy a kit or it won't work""""
Just go back to r-ddit you fucking idiot. If you're trolling, 10/10

Not everyone on Sup Forums is an IT professional, and since you can't ask for credentials every fucking time you write someone, it's preferable to say what you want to say in the most easily understandable way possible.

Also your derogative opinion about someone with millions of subscribers is less than irrelevant, it's completely meaningless.

your logic may be 5 years old user

>Not everyone on Sup Forums is an IT professional
The guy you originally replied to is literally an IT professional: And I'm not talking about credentials, I'm telling you you're literally wrong. You are just wrong. I've built god knows how many computers and swapped memory out (literally) countless times. Mixing and matching sticks, including from different manufacturers at different speeds with different latencies. I have never, never *once* experienced compatibility issues with memory, and this stems all the way back to the days of DDR.

You can mix and match memory to your hearts content and it will not, ever, EVER, cause problems. The only issue you could experience is if one of the sticks is bad, which has nothing to do with compatibility and can happen even when you buy a kit.

>Also your derogative opinion about someone with millions of subscribers is less than irrelevant, it's completely meaningless.
What's up, Linus? I respect your work because you are an exceptionally talented marketer and you have done an excellent job building up a following of younger/dumber people interested in computing. I don't mean that as an insult, I am serious. It's impressive how many followers you have, and how loyal they are.

However. You are not an expert, you have no technical background, and your videos frankly aren't designed for people who know how to use computers. They're shallow, often incorrect, and essentially worthless for people who are experienced system builders or IT pros.

That doesn't mean they're "bad"; you are still successful, and you're doing great in the market segment you target. But don't try to break into legitimate benchmarking or information before you have a solid background and knowledge.

Also,
>Also your derogative opinion about someone with millions of subscribers is less than irrelevant, it's completely meaningless.
Jake Paul has tens of millions. That argument is retarded.

My current build is micro atx and I feel like it's wasted space. Lower power usage is a bonus too.

Smaller cases... use less power?

or you had shit in your fan or it was just broken and could happen to any GPU no matter what case you got, retard

I like how little space mITX cases take up. Currently have a horizontally oriented Lian Li that I can rest books on top of, makes great use of desk space.

>2018 and still buying dinosaur big ass desktops and "muh games" rigs

Holy fuck. Just buy a chinkpad and grow the fuck up. You won't regret it.

that's such a cutie
very nice

jonsbo vr1

Did your power button start getting stuck after a few months? I had to remove the spring in it and it still is a little fucky.