Devuan

is this a meme distro or simply debian without systemd? Getting tired of all the bloat and bullshit pottering is bringing along. Can I expect this to work daily, have every package from the debian repos with the same stability of the testing release?

Other urls found in this thread:

codelab.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/firefox-drops-alsa-apulse-to-the-rescue/
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/minimal-xfce-install
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Debian without any drivers pretty much. You can remove system on Debian anyways so why bother?

good luck with that. every package (exaggerating on purpose, but most of them and it's getting worse) hard depends on it and it's basically impossible to remove it, hence why they forked. It's either devuan or void to be systemd-free and with a binary based distro

its a failed distro.
>how and why???
im not using. im sticking to debian

i would like to use it but it seems to be alpha software yet. i need pulse audio for firefox and i think they dont have pulse audio.
>fuck furryfox
>fuck brave
>fuck vivaldi
>fuck opera
>fuck every other chrome reskin
>and yes fuck chromium too

the whole purpose of their project is to port debian packages and make em work without depending on systemd. Of course firefox works you dummy.

>i need pulse audio for firefox
You don't.
codelab.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/firefox-drops-alsa-apulse-to-the-rescue/
can confirm it works perfectly.

yeah sure it works but without audio or does devuan have pulse audio?

tried it on debian before and it doesnt work

I think they either still need to port it and have only ESR in the repos or it works with with apulse.

Current stable is comfy, ascii is bleeding edge tho but you can try it's been stable enough for me

goddamn lies
$ sudo apt remove systemd
Verification code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
colord-data dnsmasq-base gdisk gvfs-libs hplip-data iputils-arping libatasmart4 libblockdev-crypto2 libblockdev-fs2 libblockdev-loop2 libblockdev-part-err2
libblockdev-part2 libblockdev-swap2 libblockdev-utils2 libblockdev2 libcolorhug2 libgusb2 libndp0 libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm0 libnma0 libntfs-3g872
libparted-fs-resize0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libsane-hpaio libteamdctl0 libudisks2-0 libvolume-key1 mobile-broadband-provider-info ntfs-3g python3-renderpm
python3-reportlab python3-reportlab-accel
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
consolekit dbus dbus-x11 hplip-data libck-connector0 libdbus-1-3 libdbus-1-3:i386 libdbus-1-dev libhpmud0 libnm0 libpam-ck-connector libsane-hpaio
printer-driver-hpijs sysvinit-core
Suggested packages:
hplip hpijs-ppds hplip-doc
Recommended packages:
hplip
The following packages will be REMOVED:
colord dbus-user-session gnunet-gtk gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-daemons hplip iio-sensor-proxy libpam-systemd network-manager network-manager-gnome
network-manager-openconnect network-manager-openconnect-gnome network-manager-vpnc network-manager-vpnc-gnome policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome
printer-driver-postscript-hp systemd systemd-sysv udisks2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
consolekit libck-connector0 libpam-ck-connector sysvinit-core
The following packages will be upgraded:
dbus dbus-x11 hplip-data libdbus-1-3 libdbus-1-3:i386 libdbus-1-dev libhpmud0 libnm0 libsane-hpaio printer-driver-hpijs
10 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 21 to remove and 1048 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 43.3 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Did they actually port any package yet?

You can't remove system d when there's still dependencies. Devun is a fork for now but they are working to completely becoming independent

click yes faggot

how to make terminal have colors like that?

No, I never had any problem with systemd.

>Debian without any drivers
What the fug? what do drivers have to to with systemd?

> You can remove system on Debian anyways
Only in theory, the cancer has spread into most packages.

Just install gentoo

Well done Rajesh, please be sure to renew your quora membership. Why neo/g/ is so autistic and unintelligent? Press y, here's what happens:
(Reading database ... 98802 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
systemd is the active init system, please switch to another before removing systemd.
dpkg: error processing package systemd (--remove):
subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Failed to stop lib-init-rw.mount: Unit lib-init-rw.mount not loaded.
addgroup: The group `systemd-journal' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
Errors were encountered while processing:
systemd
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Do you think the debian devs decided to abandon the main ship and fork because they were unable to apt-get remove? This board became horseshit.

I'm using it and it feels fine. Puts other debian based distros to shame, it feels very much like typical stable debian. Comes with xfce and has a newb friendly installer.
I will miss the toy story names though.

I use Devuan with xfce on my thinkpad that I take to class. It performs well and serves its purpose. I choose it over Debian because I understand how to use openrc much better than systemd. If anyone asks, I just tell them it's Debian so I don't look too autistic. I use Gentoo at on my desktop though.

it unironically could be the best option for a desktop workstation, if updating the system doesn't force you to leave the pc alone and takes ages. As for Devuan, I would like to use it as daily laptop aswell without having to explain people why it's not debian and don't look autistic, I'm also using i3 so well... the main concern is stability. I wouldn't wanna be with a client and all of a sudden everything breaks and I look like a retard.

If you're going to be using it in public, ie class or work, just install a DE so everything works and you don't look like a wanna be hacker. I used this guide for minimal xfce install and it works well. You can do the same thing with other DEs to avoid bloat.

devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/minimal-xfce-install

thanks I'll check that out. I actually use i3 because it's easier to work with and everything is faster, once configured I waste less time. xfce is really nice and I loved it. I ditched it mainly for the multi monitor retarded behaviour, i.e. when you change your primary monitor to the right one it still keeps opening windows on the left arbitrary. On i3 I just made a script and a udev rule and it worked flawlessly.

Why would it be a failed distro?