/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old thread: (Cross-thread)

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended freedom models:
>>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Recommended modern models:
>>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>>T440p/540p - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad
>>P-Series - 15'' and 17'', up to 4K displays, 64gb of RAM, Xeon processors.

Why ThinkPad?
>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)
>>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/
patchdynamics.net/product/gsticker
laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t440s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for
£295 good for an elitebook 8760w with an i7 2620QM, 16Gb ram, quadro 4000m? and it has the dreamcolour sticker so unless the seller is a Jew that switched the sticker it has a 1080p dreamcolour screen

That picture is so kino.

Looks like someone trying really hard to look intelligent while being actually autistic.

Opinions on this as my first thinkpad?

minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/

stickers are back in stock, is the meme dead?

rip off. get one off ebay and flash it yourself

>tfw you run your finger around the softrim trackpoint

>8760w
>dem specs
dayum. Post pics when you can.

>w520 i7 2760qm 16gb wam 500GB HDD for $250

Think it has 720p panel but I don't mind upgrading.

You need the HD lvds cable and an entire lid replacement. Look for a 900p panel instead, it's a drop in replacement.

How hard of a replacement will it be?
I plan on making this my main machine. I already purchased the dock.

I'm going to get an external monitor as well. Going to have Win7 via kvm emulation and linux on native LCD.

P50 yes or no?

Do you put stickers on your ThinkPad (s)?

>also tfw no tpgf

Only with lower end i5/i7, otherwise they overheat and throttle. P51 the same.

What's the best eGPU with the optimum performance drop/price in 2018 via expresscard?

Thanks mr. Softrim guy

I wish everyone dressed like an 80s Anime all the time

I wish a could get a XX chromosomed human to be my special friend.

Just a couple of stickers since I prefer having it kinda clean and pure from an outsider perspective.

only these

I like this pic a lot though is that desk big enough to give you a proper place to study?
Also what format are these papers? it doesn't look like A4.

Just bought it, will post when it gets here

triggu a thot.

I like collecting stickers, but I don't want to put them anywhere, and I would hate having any stickers on any of my stuff, for some reason.

not my picture, but yeah those look like A4 or whatever retarded american size is closest. that's the thiccums w70x 17"

is there any benefit of an sl500 over a t500?
its cheaper but they dont have a rollcage

>tfw can only find z61m
>tfw will never find a good t61p

where can I get those? Eurofag here

redbubble has some, though I haven't checked the postage

z61p is bretty good, has an orange thinklight too

I got mine from Patch Dynamics, but I'm not sure if they are still available

They still have one blemished sticker left for $2, but the nice $4 ones are sold out.
patchdynamics.net/product/gsticker

I need a thinkpad with good battery life (at least 7-8h) with a touch screen, because I'll use it to take notes during classes... Any recommendations?

wtf are the stickers on redbubble ?

Can I install win10 on my x230?
It's had win7 on it, but hardware-wise idk how compatible it would be,
Last thing i want is a thinkpad with no trackpoint.

it is a stupid question.

The ones there lack the holographic finish of the Patch Dynamics version

>W520 - 15", 1080p
Why not the W530 too, like the X230 and T430?

>Do you put stickers on your ThinkPad (s)?
No, minimalist master race here.

I do not need to broadcast what I like to feel secure about myself and my taste.

yes

>I use it to take notes
>I need a touch screen
What.

Yes you can.
But why would you? 7 is better.

I'll put it on next OP

damn, any idea when PD is making more?

I hope you don't go in public with that

>>Do you put stickers on your ThinkPad (s)?
>No, minimalist master race here.

Fuck minifree.

It's the price of an X230!

Yes. Too many.

Also, I got a
>tpgf
Gave her my X220 and kept the X200.

How is the cover like that?

Where'd you get the "My other thinkpad is also a Thinkpad" -sticker?

T440s with touchscreen and genuine extended battery. This review says the battery will last 14 hours. laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t440s
I have a T440 with a touchscreen and enjoy its build quality, but the panel in the T440 is lower resolution than the touch panel in the T440s.

where the fuck are the t480 reviews? Anyone have one?

>minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/
If you're a pussy that's too afraid to get his hands dirty then sure, otherwise fuck that, its an absolutely awful deal. USB bios flashers from China are literally $3 on eBay and the clip so that you don't have to desolder the bios chip is also $3. Just buy one and do it yourself. Fuck, you can even get a few extra bios chips (they're way cheaper if you find out the actual model number of the IC instead of just searching for "thinkpad x200 bios chip") and a hot air smd reflow station if you're afraid that you might fuck it up and still be at least $70 under what these fags want for one. I'm going off of US prices, and I understand that in Europe thinkpads are more expensive, but holy fuck $300 for a used x200...

I recently went to my first hackathon and I'm completely buying into the sticker meme. Got more on the back and inside too, looking forward to getting to the point where you can no longer see any laptop, just stickers.

The hypercam one is cool, rest are autistic shit.

Where do you guys buy battery cells to replace the dead ones on your ten year old laptops?

>github stickers

have some self respect

No.

post github bby

There's nothing remotely interesting on there, for now.

Gimme that NEET sticker dear user

Anyone know any way to "touch up" the plastic coating on a Thinkpad?There's a part of the lid on my x230 that's down to the metal and I was wondering if you guys know of any product that I can color match and fill in the scratches with or if I should just get some cheap matte black vinyl wrap and just cover the whole lid? Pic related, I know that it's not a big deal but it bothers me since the rest of the laptop is in really nice condition.

there was a youtube video of a guy putting some spray on stuff. AA Computers and technology or something like that

I'm so excited, ordered my first thinkpad ever (x230) for uni use, tested these laptops for some time now and they feel fkin awesome to touch and hold , my life will be glowing when I get mine

Who else /tabletPC/ here?

Hello /tpg/!

hello

tpgf represent
gave my gf my x230t

THINKPADS ARE SHIT

*THE SHIT

Hey!

WRONG

I bought a w520 with 1080p display. I disabled the nvidia graphics card.

1. I only get 4 hours battery life with voidlinux and laptop-mode installed. Do I need to buy a new battery, if so which cheap one should I buy?

2. Ik coreboot has some issues on this model. Anyone try installing it? If so, how was ur experience?

Does your wife know you wear he closes while she works

Install tlp and run tlp-stat. That should show battery wear and then you can determine if you need a new one.

>tried librebooting my x200
>shits not working
>waste hours trying to figure out the issue
>join the trannyboot irc
>ask for help
>get told that the guides are no real guides. I should know what I’m doing.
>mfw
Fuck freetardism.

is that really 95 or just some skin?

All I'm saying is that it is a good thing they got rid of that tranny piece of trash

That is my wife

Theme of OpenBox.

Oh, they did?
I thought the tranny was the lead dev.

No, the tranny has never done anything for the project, and barely knows how to program. Go figure...

This
The tranny got the project kicked out of the FSF
Then the tranny got ousted (stepped down is the official verbiage)
The new lead dev of the project reapplied to the FSF and got approved

Oh nice. These are good news, I guess.

Where'd you get the cool theme?

I made it, based on Redmond. There exist good themes like Chicago95 if you want something pre-made, though.

Mine's not perfect by any means, and nowadays I'm going more for a "Windows Classic" theme specifically.

>that is my wife
>the tranny has never done anything for the project, and barely knows how to program. Go figure...

Shit didn't mean to hit send yet. Allow me to continue the previous post:
These two posts of yours have improved my view of you Awoo, for whatever reason I always assumed you were a tranny degenerate yourself.

This
I assumed you were a knee socks wearing closeted faggot who thinks that you're a woman
I'm glad to see that you're just a dude with a wife instead

Curses! The jig is up!

This

x220t reporting in!

The lid to my T430 is kinda scratched up from the past owner , are those Vinyl skins good or do they tear up easy? Was thinking of a nice leather like

he claims that the people he works with are slow idiots so wait about another 2 months honestly.

I am interested in buying a T480s. What are your opinions? Are there better models with comparable performance and dimensions? Is the T480 better? Sorry, I am a complete new to ThinkPads

The specs seem pretty good, except for the Intel graphic card.
Intel Core i7-8650U 1.9 GHz 4 cores
DDR4 RAM 1 x 8 GB + 8 GB on board
512 GB SSD
Intel UHD 620

the upper portion of the lid on my x220 is breaking off. Any tips on how to prevent this?

wow that looks shit ..
the dell latitude would not have a problem like that

He might be lying though..

Quick fix would be to an epoxy or rubber cement. Lids aren't very expensive on ebay.

Things break on occasion, doesn't matter the manufacturer. That's why spare parts are made.

Don't buy a X220, get a X200/X201 instead.

Quite the mystery!