KDE

So, what distro does it better lads?
Is the Fedora spin up to date?

>tfw captcha asks me for transit signs but only shows me fucking trees.
Damn it

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/plasma-workspace
copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mkyral/plasma-unstable/
lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2015-October/016315.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

MATE is still my favorite DE. KDE and Unity are a close second.

OpenSUSE. It even includes a patched version of Firefox with thumbnails in the filepicker.
KDE Neon is the testing field of KDE and Kubuntu is less stable than OpenSUSE.

I liked Unity a lot, too bad it's ded.
It took me two mins to set it how I wanted and achieved one of the best workflows I had.

I use KDE in CloverOS famalam

You can emerge www-client/firefox-kde-opensuse in CloverOS btw

Gentoo with -9999 ebuilds from ::kde does it pretty well.

Based on what I seen on Sup Forums
Top Tier- Arch, Manjaro, Netrunner
Good Tier: OpenSUSE, Neon
Shit Tier: Kubuntu, Fedora

lots of omissions but you get the idea.

what about mint

Ive been browsing KDE/Gnomehate threads for weeks now. I haven't seen anyone run Mint w/ KDE so I can't comment on it.

If you want apt theres debian-based Netrunner, Neon and Neon derivatives (Reddit likes Maui)

Personally I just switched from Neon to Netrunner last night. It introduces its own quirks but they're entirely different from Neon's quirks. Good experience so far.

>KDE Neon is the testing field of KDE
but they have a dev and a regular release

>Is the Fedora spin up to date?

Yes, once you run dnf upgrade. I don't like what openSUSE does to KDE and I don't give a fuck about Firecucks.

I tried installing OpenSUSE and it shat the bed easily, during the install and after it.

I'm using Fedora's one atm, it is bloated out of the box, the KDE spin uses 900MB-1GB and comes with 3 browsers until you debloat or change configs, a KDE netinstall (without extra apps) uses 700-800MB but it comes with less random trash.
I managed to cut down RAM usage to 600MB after removing some stuff, but Neon and Debian Testing were still lighter by 100-150MB.

Right now, Plasma 5.12 is being tested for F27, so make sure to pull it from testing repos: apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/plasma-workspace
Otherwise, you can track upstream releases by adding this COPR: copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mkyral/plasma-unstable/

tl;dr: it is okay but could be better, at least it is up to date.

I can't decide between KDE Neon and Manjaro

pic related:^)

why did you pick netrunner? whats the purpose of the os?

Top Tier: OpenSUSE
Good tier: Arch, Neon
Meh tier: everything else
[POWER GAP]
absolute garbage tier: Kubuntu

I tried to get KDE working well with different distros last summer. The results:

Fedora: Crashes every 20 fucking seconds. It was a complete and utter mess, I guess they only do GNOME well

Kubuntu: Couldn't get fucking kio-gdrive to install (I guess that's not a problem anymore though)

Manjaro: Problems with my GPU and getting to sddm

KDE Neon: Not as shitty as Fedora but almost, really crashy

openSUSE: The slowest boot times, fucking hackintosh boots faster what the heck

You have hardware/driver issues. Maybe try solving those before throwing a tantrum on the internet?

Why CloverOS is so good

>the Sup Forums operating system
confirmed botnet

Frei wie in Freiheit

Then why is it that I have different issues that mostly have not a lot to do with hardware specifically, except for what I had with Manjaro (which only happened after an upgrade)?

Hell on Kubuntu I barely had any issues. Like I said it was related to kio-gdrive because at the time building it was a pain in the ass. Few to no crashes.

The way the software stack is built varies across distros. Newer hardware suffers the most, but it might affect older hardware too.

That's why bootloaders have troubleshooting options, but they obviously cannot cover all hardware. Some tinkering of your own is expected.

GNOME is way better

lol no

gas the footlickers

Gnome triggers my anxiety disorder. That's how good it is.

lol, yes

Any tips on removing the bloat?

Not an argument

>using spins
here’s the secret
>find district whose release model you like
>grab netinstaller ISO
>install KDE

extra memory usage in fedora could be due to SELinux

A FUCKING FOOT

Anyone else comment on this? I thought fedora kde was decent.

Not a desktop environment.

Not an argument
Not only is a DE is the best DE, the standard Linux DE

Not an argument

Not an argument, a fact.

Start with the netinstall without extra applications.
Remove or tweak certain KDE apps, IIRC Akonadi is one of the biggest offenders, you can either remove it or change its backend to sqlite (uses 100-200MB less) for example, I also threw out their Discover "app store". If possible (I haven't tried yet), disabling packagekitd would also shave off 100MB and stop Plasma from checking for updates by itself.

Not a fact, a fucking foot.

Not an argument

Gentoo with unstable branch (~amd64) enabled is unironically a great KDE experience. Easy to build without the PIM/Akonadi stuff etc. Sleek, stable and fast. Gentoo's KDE maintainers seem to know their stuff

>2012
i hope you are being paid to act this stupid

>linus

What can you expect from a retard unable to install debian? Exactly: a Gnome user.

Stop replying to the Gn*me apologist from R*ddit. His retardness is incurable

>5 years in linuxland is prehistoric past
we both know nothing has changed

Fuck off footfag.

>the standard Linux DE
No this shit again, it's always the same arguing every thread.

>we both know
>we
>nothing has changed
>look me mom im trolling ex dee im not obvious!

Not an argument

Is some retard baiting thinking he is smart or something

Never seen KDE crash on a Fedora, the integration is as good as the GNOME one.

When KDE developers create their own distro (Neon) and they are so afraid of their own software thay then don't ship it, so, Neon doesn't have Baloo, Akanodi, Kmail, KAlarm, Contact, it is just Plasma Shell, Konsole and Dolphin, that tell us that nothing has changed at all.

Is not bait at all, just a fact

Indeed not an argument. It is a observation. GNOME is the Canada of DEs

i still don't have problems with akonadi and im on opensuse tumbleweed

we dissagree, and daddy Stallman too.

I agree that KDE PIM stack is shite but to be fair Gnome has an even bigger problem. Their gnome-shell is an unholy C/Javascript spaghetti code abomination that they couldn't untangle and basically gave up. Now they're trying to pour resources into GTK4/Gnome 4 and basically start from scratch. Too bad they don't seem to have the same drive and enough skilled devs behind them anymore (who would've guessed being a meme for years would hurt the project).

Prolly cause you don't use KMail at all or any other program that needs it

but i use it, KAlarm, KOrganizer, stop baiting retard

> Their gnome-shell is an unholy C/Javascript spaghetti code abomination that they couldn't untangle and basically gave up
Talking out of your ass, that is not how GNOME Shell Works, it a s beatiful work and will get better with GTK4.
>but i use it, KAlarm, KOrganizer
I doubt it

Personally: Arch+i3 use for like two years, now in trying Antergos+xfce4 and I'm good so far. Would like to use KDE plasma, but my laptop is too slow for that.

>I doubt it
sure thing shill, you are not obvious or anything

Not even KDE developers trust Akanodi, you have balls trusting it.

it werks for me, if it doesn't then i wouldn't bother and use anything else, but it works

>it werks for me
I wonder for how long before it blows in your face and delete everything

yeah surely it will explode...

Debian stable uses 330mb with KDE

but (fucking replied too soon) takes about 60 seconds to boot for some reason

>eats dead sking from his foot
>uses GNOME

Checks out.

I wanted to give it a try but then found out about notification panel vulnerability. Curry as fuck.

After a year of using openSUSE (12.2 then) I tried Kubuntu. I thought: "Hey, it's the same DE, what can be the difference?" But difference was huge. Last thing before uninstall was 5 year-old (in 2014) bug about arranging applications around desktops.
Since then I have experience with KDE only with Slackware, but SW is a different story, you know.

Just wait and see, there is a reason not even KDE developers trust it
Like the alpha male he is

>september two fucking thousand

Most Sup Forumstards weren't even born yet

As valid as today

Plasma 12 works fine on my machine.

I use Kubuntu and it plays nicely, Akonadi is RAM hogging abomination though
I tried OpenSUSE TW and it was pretty awful imo

dont feed the retard, it shows the same shit on every KDE thread

Using it with Manjaro currently, seems to work really well.

Why use plasma? use a nice Window Manager, will use less ram and as useless.
Can't handle some truth?

False. Fedora KDE is actually the best. Just anything but openSHIT plz

Qt is GPL , what's the problem.

Fedora is literally the worst KDE possible, see: lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2015-October/016315.html

Try Arch, not even memeing.

>Plasma 5.12 on stable
>Plasma 5.12.2 on updates-testing
0/10

Kevin Kofler is a known negative nancy on the Fedora list, I wouldn't consider him relevant to the discussion. Also this is ages ago, most of the KDE work is done by Rex Dieter.

No, you need to sign an abusive CLA if you want to contribute, the CLA gives Digia the right to make the contributed code closed source, also, make changes to the contributed code w/o the obligation to return that code to de community

>abusive CLA
muh abusive CLA

You keep repeating that shit thread after shread. All big Opensource projects have CLA to make sure the contributions stays free.

Not all CLAs have the same purpose, in the Qt case is the worse possible, designed to make free as in freedom contributions propietary, is evil

There is honestly nothing wrong with Gnome if you don't pick your DE based on what is special and contrarian.

Debian + Gnome jest werks.

This. debian with gnome is so damn comfy

It's literally just gentoo

What should I use to get tiling in kwin?

Literally fake news. One specific feature annoyed the hell out of him.

Get out paid Gnome shills

Not an argument.
Not faker, See

>OpenSUSE.
No thanks, I don't need overcomplicated shitty "german technology"
Doesn't opensuse come with btrfs by default and snapshots enabled? Disgusting!
>It even includes a patched version of Firefox with thumbnails in the filepicker.
That's what I'm talking about, overcomplicating shit
Firefox is already too complex, I don't want opensuse shit on top
Besides I would uninstall opensuse Firefox and then if I forget a --without-recommends in a zyper update it will reinstall it
Shitty overcomplicated "german technology"
>KDE Neon is the testing field of KDE and Kubuntu is less stable than OpenSUSE.
Subjective
Ubuntu works because it builds on top of the great Debian
I would prefer KDE Neon that opensuse

He went back to KDE after he got fed up with gnome, actually.

I’m OK with high basal RAM usage, its still better than windows.

What I cannot stand is when memory use RISES just from having something open *cough* firefox. If I have 200 tabs open and firefox uses 3GB, ok fine. If I leave my PC on though I shouldnt come back to the 3GB having grown into 5GB, fuck!

Fake, he still is on GNOME, the best Linux DE