/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
youtu.be/utviLZ5c9SE
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-of-generic-es9028q2m-dac-board.2405/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're so nice ;_;

has anyone here bought cables from customcans.co.uk? was it worth £89?

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Proper OP. Has feet.

>cables
>worth £89
>ever
No.

BAD DRAWN FEET

Be nice. They're not bad relative to the style of the whole image.

I love subtle feet pictures

*sucks your anime feet toes* I am sorry feet headphone master

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

>being this autistic

>HD600
Nice pure distilled fidelity you've got there.

You need a more diverse appreciation for art. 2d women look their best when they're not photorealistic.

>being this mildly annoyed about the reminder of your bad consumer purchases

How do you like the amp?

Reposting from last thread:
Audio Technica ATH-S700BT or Sony MX1000s? Want wireless cans to upgrade my Bose QC25s, and the QC35s are too expensive

Sennheiser 4.40.

Take the QC35s, believe me.

1000xm2s

Amp stand arrived for Stax energizers

Those are literally cutting boards. I hope you didn't spend more than a hundred bucks apiece.

it's floor user. He has his entire CD collection in a crate and all his audio gear on the floor on top of butcher blocks. It's our resident nut.

Very much, should consider the Speedball upgrade a must, but build it stock first. Responds well to tube rolling and there are a lot of power tube varieties that work with no mod. Can also use an adaptor and use 6sn7 instead of the 12au7. Lots of other mods you can do that can be inexpensive like replacing the volume pot, adding choke to the power supply and trying different output caps. Really fun to build and mod, with hd650 it could easily be the endgame.

He's mentally I'll just ignore him

Wow, I literally did not know that. I just hit random links until money was charged and something was delivered. You’re a saint!

what does the wood sound like?

I only accept the finest Tonewood.

Seconding this.

Is the bottlehead crack + speedball worth $400 or is it just a meme?

(Paired with the HD650)

Got some spare money, wanna up my headphone game. Should I go all in on some second hand HD700's, or second hand HD650's and potentially have enough money if not this month the next for a basic tube amp? I've currently got an NFB-11, and I always hear how Sennheisers go wonderfully with tube amps (it's the harmonic distortion, right?), but I also think the 700's seem very interesting. Basically, should I get 700's with NFB-11 or 650's with cheap tube amp and NFB-11?

well thanks for the options. I'll check out whatever's cheapest of those three :P
Im not a huge audiophile so i don't think it'll matter overmuch

I've heard it and the valhalla and it is 100% worth it. The thing just sound incredible. Seeing as it's a DIY kit you can probably get almost all of your money back by selling it on headfi or ebay if you disagree but I was really impressed with it.
HD600 and HD660 are better than both the hd700 and hd650. Get some hd600's and save the rest of your money for an ortho or something.

Used hd800 is $650. Fuck the hd700

Also sound good with hd800s

Thanks bros

Do I still need to get a DAC with it? I'm considering the Modi 2 if I do.

Agree about the Valhalla vs Crack. Vahalla is ok. isn’t in the same league as Crack.

Yeah, it’s just an amp with volume control.

Grey Market hd800s can be found under $1000 too.

>Grey Market
Do people at sennheiser honor the warranty on products going through such channels?
Because cheapening out is not going to be great if you're that guy whose HD800 jack broke out the first time he tried to remove the cable and no one honors your warranty.

I'm pretty set on the 650's honestly, the 800's are too expensive. Only reason I was considering 700's was because they seem very exciting and different. Either way though, would you say a tube amp is still necessary to actually utilize either of the headphones?

If you must get the modi get a wyrd to run it through or it's going to perform like shit.
Some good options that don't require such fuckery: Topping DX7/DX7S, Topping D30, Topping D50(release incoming), OL Dac from JDS labs, Behringer UMC204HD.

I’ve dealt with Sennheiser repairs once for my hd650, which I also bought grey market and they did the repair at their normal rates. Was a really fast turnaround too, props to their repair division.

But yeah, grey market should be considered a gamble. Both times I bought them from a brick and mortar hi-if shop that was selling them on the down low so I was able to check them out in person before buying them.

I wouldn’t say it’s necessary, just a different presentation that you may or may not like. Same can be said about Solid State.

I believe that you're sincere and that stupid. Also, are you some sort of half man that crawls around your mom's house and buys that trash with your disability checks or what?

>buy 1800 dollars worth of headphones
>don't listen to music anymore
FUCK

nullGet a Spotify sub. If you're a flac faggot just use it's music discovery/suggestion features and download your music off red or whatever. I listen to way more music with spotify than without.

>spotify
No touhou, no jpop, no nothing.
Normie garbage, is what it is.

lul somebody saved my OL DAC engraving

tfw cant decide between ath m40x vs sony mdr v6
whats better if I mainly listen to shoegaze,dreampop and some hiphop

I don't know a huge amount about both but as I understand the mx series are bass orientated

yo can i get some purchase advice

thanks

buy stax/hd600

t. hpg

nullThat shit is so popular it is the new normie shit. Fucking hipsters, I swear.
Anyway I spend like half the time listening to music enjoying the music but the other half I'm just marveling at my headphones. It's been like 6 months since I got them. Anyone else do that or do you guys just listen to music like normies

I would honestly fucking kill myself if I had autism

metal571 mofo I know youre here shitposting sennheiser
go to the gym fatfuck

You actually listen to digital music over tube amps?

HD600, the best headphones in the world > HD650 > shit > HD700

Autism, no doubt about it.

Yeah, I listen directly to binary pulses of the music files amplified over tubes.

Is it worth using the spatial sound feature in windows?

no I listen to analogue signals converted from digital signals to the highest audible accuracy over tube amps. The alternative is...analogue signals over tube amps.

HD600 or HD800.
All of HD650, HD660S and HD700 are worse than these two.

Tell me why 600's are so much better than 650's then.

>mfw I fell for the hd600 meme

Friendly reminder that buying good headphones will make you hate half, or more, of your music because how fucking badly everything is mastered these days.
All the good music is mastered on a 2i2, MacBook pro, and m50x and all the bad music is mastered by like professionals.

r8 my DAC

Because, out of the box, plugged to anything and without having to mess with EQ, they do have less of a high bass hump, more microdetail (low power transients), excellent tonal balance, particularly in the mid range, and correctly rolled off rather than recessed treble.

With your ears On your gear perhaps, what about on other anons gear with their ears?

Plenty of reviews of HD600 and HD650 to go around. HD600 is near universally preferred.
General opinion seems to be that HD650 is a downgrade that sounds laid-back, softens detail and just seem off.
Frequency response objectively shows as much.

What am I looking at here?

youtu.be/utviLZ5c9SE
Ahah this is amazing. Since this is Sup Forums with its ton of linux users, I wonder how many people discovered a sound difference between external DACs and their motherboard.. because of their broken OS which misconfigured the last 5 years worth of realtek chips, sending out a signal that has lowered bass amplitude.

I don't know where you're getting your reviews from. The general consensus I've found is that they're more or less the same but the 650's are slightly warmer and have stronger bass, are more 'fun', while the 600's are more neutral and analytical. I've already got a headphone for treble, so I'm looking for something on the other end.

dumb poojeet

HD600 isn't a "headphone for treble". The treble is not a mountain, but real close to neutral. Also remember HD650 and HD600 are real close to each other, so don't decide based on slightly "less treble".
>something on the other end
HD600 are the near-magic headphones of legend that sound just right. HD650 are not. Try to not fuck up.
All HD600 anons here love their headphones. This is not the case for HD650 anons (e.g. the lotsa audio-technica user) , on the other hand.

My es9018 DAC

I wasn't trying to say they were treble headphones but rather that the slightly worse treble on the 650's wasn't as important to me as anything where treble was that important I'd be listening to on my other headphones

Make sure to ignore zealots like this one.

Oh is that one of those cheap chinese dacs that they sell by the chip? I was thinking of getting one a long time ago.
How is it? Sound good?

It works. Can't hear any hiss out of my iems. High OI.
Too bad I can't measure it.

Ok, so tell me something Sup Forums.

Why the fuck did I buy these earphones from amazon that are bluetooth, and it needs charging? Wtf?

I already gotta CHARGE my phone, I don't want to charge my goddamn earphone.

Convince me that I haven't made a mistake. Is this really how the /modern man/ lives? He fucking pays attention to his earphone battery?

>SoundBuds Slim

probably measures close to this one
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-of-generic-es9028q2m-dac-board.2405/

>Why the fuck did I buy these earphones from amazon that are bluetooth, and it needs charging? Wtf?
Don't do drugs.

Don't fall for the HD 600 meme
Don't buy anything that Sup Forums recommends
That includes thinkpads

Start drinking and treat it like a weekend hobby. Seriously.

I have two ThinkPads and they are fucking awesome.

Don't lump thinkpads in with low fidelity garbage like the HD600.

I got a thinkpad for free and it's great so I guess I win on both fronts.

Are you the guy with certified toaster stickers

>Don't buy anything that Sup Forums recommends
>That includes thinkpads
Silly. In my experience, and not being a church faithful like others here who only blindly follow a brand, thinkpads are one of the three only laptops I would trust with making something that's both good enough and yet not excessively bulky. The other two are Dell Latitudes (the 7xxx series, I don't have any experience or returns about the lower end models.) and Macbook Pro.
Sup Forums loves to hate on the latter two but that won't make me hate thinkpads. They're pretty good. Laptops in general are a shitfest, so of course "pretty good" is relative. Even the best brand will have like 15%+ of failures after two years of usage if you are a daily user. It's a lottery. I know people who've had the same Macbook Pro for 5 years straight and not a single issue with the hardware. Others who had issue 6 months later and kept having to send it for repairs.
Life with laptops is shit. Deal with it. Thinkpads, latitude, MBP are all good for what they are, and none are really that much superior to the other. They all have some strengths unique to their own, like the MBP's high quality LCD with wide gamut colors or the Thinkpad high level of compatibility with linux. Dell has the best support if you buy the professional on site warranty extensions in Europe, compared to the other two (Apple's support is.. extremely limited. Lenovo might be great in some large cities and that's about it.).

Bottom line is don't buy laptop unless you actually need to travel with a computer. Ahah.

The 600 is a genuinely great headphone though. Please shut the fuck up.

Yeah I made the mistake of buying a laptop thinking it might be comfy to use it at home some times instead of my desktop and I've used it maybe 3 times in the year that I've had it. Desktops are just infinitely better for everything at home. I listen to my headphones exclusively at my desk.
I spent $500 on the thing, could have got a emu teak or crazy OTL amp or something

does anyone knows if the high output impedance on the topping DX7s is just for the 1/4" jack or is it also for the XLR output

Nobody is going to read what you typed
I sure didn't

Usually, balanced out is 2x the output impedance of the single ended.

>tfw havent used my desktop in three months

i just like my laptop

XLR is 20 oi, single ended is 10 oi.
It doesn't matter for any of my headphones but I don't buy IEMs. Check your headphones impedance curve.
You could also just use it as a dac and get a magni or something. However the best course of action if you want something greater than ol dac/d30 is wait for the d50 to go up for sale. Should be soon. That's what i'm doing.

You really think anyone cares that you don't care?

>I listen to my headphones exclusively at my desk.
I went pretty crazy with extension cords at times to be able to use my headphones anywhere in the room. That works well depending on the layout of your living room - nothing sitting right in the middle of it.
>I spent $500 on the thing, could have got a emu teak or crazy OTL amp or something
And the emu teak wouldn't have depreciated as fast if you were bored of it and wanted to sell it, unlike the laptop..

literal autism

Is headfi leaking or something?