Smartwatches

>Smartwatches
Are they the most useless piece of tech ever created?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Goldeneye-Watch-007/dp/B00M8AWBJ8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

/thread

You clearly never heard of juicero

bump

i'm wearing an apple watch right now. it's pretty nice

Lol no. Can your dumbwatch do this?

this is cool, but not worth the high price

It's slowly injecting HIV into your bloodstream

if the battery life wouldn't suck ass they would be pretty cool
I owned 3 smartwatches but none appealed to me since they all die after an hour of use

>high price
What kind of piece of shit quartz watch are you currently rocking user?

I want a continuous HRM to log data points with my runs. I don't *need* it but it would be kinda nice. Dunno if I'll get a wrist based one (smartwatch) or a strap

Even my die hard android fanboy friend agrees on this when it comes to smart watches, if it’s not the Apple Watch, don’t bother, what android currently offers is shit.
He works for Tag Heur and their offering pales in comparison to a much cheaper and better quality stainless steel or ceramic Apple Watch.

Can your smartwatch do this
>runs for years with no problems

I got one for development. If you get an Asteroid OS compatible one, it's literally just a Linux machine on your wrist. You can write apps and create your own watchfaces, or run Linux desktop apps if you compile them for ARM and set them up to run in fullscreen.

Asteroid OS also makes your watch keep a battery for almost a whole week!

Show the time? Certainly.

gear fit , expecting that don blow my hand off

I enjoy my s3

>10's Soywatches
literally

Whenever I get off my ass and try to get /fit/, a fibit might be nice. I might also get a smartwatch in the future if it can track my glucose levels

Can't wait for these things to go the way of the netbook

>Apple Watch is the most popular watch in the world
Not happening boyo

How come only Samsung got the look right?

>tfw the netbook went the way of the netbook

or you know, you could just wear a normal watch and not act like a fucking manchild

>he doesn't own the omnitrix

I'm fascinated by Asteroid OS, it's the closest thing we have now to decent smartwatches that respect your freedom. Unfortunately it has not yet been ported to any of the watches I own (1st gen moto360 and Huawei Watch 1).
Also, I wish Purism got into developing smartwatches. Would be an instant purchase from me.

They're pretty close up there next to juicero.

they're great for music control during exercise but that's about it

Vintage USSR, 800 dollars in mint condition

The watches on their compatibility list are relatively cheap. If you want the best experience, the LG G Watch is the best one (The one in the pic I posted).

Unfortunately they still have proprietary bootloaders and graphics drivers, they're not entirely free!

> (You)
>Unfortunately they still have proprietary bootloaders and graphics drivers, they're not entirely free!
Yep, I'm aware of that. Still, the OS being open source, is is the closest so far. I hope one day someone develops a 100% smartwatch, I don't want my wearables to depend on my android phone forever.

I like my OG Pebble Steel. Other smartwatches may be "smarter" but they suck as watches. Terrible battery life, poor screen visibility, choice between no always on display and making the battery life even worse. Pebble Time 2 would have been the GOAT smartwatch had it come out.

>t. grown adult who thinks he's in a video game

Yea
They don't really have any advantage over a regular watch (which only needs to be serviced like once a decade maybe and can last a lifetime) or a phone for that matter
They are disposable tech, why would you spend so much money on an Apple Watch instead of a Rolex

Smart watches are the wrist fedora

My Apple Watch makes a nice companion piece to my iPhone. Good for reminding me of things, letting me know the weather, replying to messages and of course, telling the time with the flick of a wrist. It's just an extra bit of convenience for someone who lives a hectic, fast paced lifestyle. They're probably useless for people with sparse schedules.

Amazfit Bip is a worthy successor though. That 2 months battery life with an always-on screen.

>not going full terrorwave

woah dog u got the onmitrix

>Whenever I get off my ass and try to get /fit/
Stop posting in Sup Forums and do it now.
Remember it's about developing good habits, not sustaining motivation.

>open my phone
>see the weather
>sees recent text messages
>sees the time
>replies to text messages
>didnt spend an extra $900

*spent the extra $900 on a real watch

???

love this thing
great way of getting notifications, great way to keep track of my sleep/heart rate, 7 day battery life, a third of the price of the competition

>has to be connected to a phone
if my phone is in my pocket why the fuck do i need to spend money on a watch that will do the same thing but worse?

can you ssh into it ?

The screen on my OG Pebble Steel is finally shitting itself
I don't have the need for another smartwatch now, at least not until they come up with more power efficient CPUs and NFC for them

If my laptop is in my bag why the fuck do I need to spend my money on a smart phone that will do the same thing but worse?

Notice how designer brands who make Android Wear watches don't advertise the fact that they're Android Wear watches?

many people's "careers" are actually just play acting on bourgeoisie pretense

They are handy if you take calls and messages from multiple people multiple times a day and have to walk around and talk to other people face to face constantly all day. So they are nice for managers.

They help you answer calls on speaker while walking around keeping both hands free and no layers of clothing in between the microphone and your mouth.

They're also, in theory, a good covert audio recording device that can be activated quickly in the scarce second that nobody is watching you tap your watch three times or something, but I don't know if there are any apps that do this.

Thats about it though.

They're also handy for reddit spacing

Only smart watch that doesn't look like shit is the Apple Watch stainless steel and the ceramic edition.

where2cop?

Shit I'm going to have to look into this, I could use a native BB10OS smartwatch

because my laptop cannot receive texts, call/receive calls, schedule (as well as my phone can) and cannot be carried around everywhere.

I'm considering a hybrid since the battery is replaceable. Smartwatches are essentially disposable. Sure you can send it in but I prefer to change batteries at the first sign of trouble rather than wait until it's unusable.

>disposable
>$300

I had to look that one up. Fucking hilarious. I've heard of a lot of stories of investors getting their shit wrecked, but boy oh boy. And the CEO comparing himself to Jobs at every opportunity is solid content.

I had the gen 1 360 and it was ok for messages, music/tv controls etc but nothing I couldn't live without. Once I had to really ration my usage to make the battery last all day it was just pointless. The hybrids have programmable buttons and albeit very light vibration they last longer. Then I can use tasker to read new messages aloud when ready or something. Setup at least pause/play toggles.

No one actually does anything with them, my girlfriend only uses her apple watch to check notifications, all it does is save you the 3 seconds of time to take your phone out of your pocket

>watch enthusiast ignore them
>techfags dont give a damn
whats their niche?

>*a big red dot cut your path*

What is AЩoo

Looks like shit.

Hipsters.

nope

How though

Been using the huawei watch 1 for awhile now. Have omega faces for the poorfag feel.

If you actually have a job where you use your hands, no. Beats taking out the phone each time there's something.
Unless you're a NEET or have no social life at all, sure, it's useless.

My model doesn't have wi-fi, but over USB you can.

I mean, you'd have to do a lot of work but I'm sure it's possible!

Wi-Fi models you definitely can.

Just like regular watches they are useless status symbols. I don't see the problem.

>watches are useless
Thanks for the laugh

Well status have some use I guess

More importantly, telling time does.

Hey PebbleBro, I love my Pebble 2 as well. I think I'm going to buy another one just in case my current one dies.

I really worry about the day that pebble stock disappears because it's really the perfect watch - a spiritual successor to the casio FW-91

I like my fitbit 420 blaze it

No point in getting the new one though

>great way to keep track of my sleep/heart rate
wow, i also have a tool that does that, it's called my brain. what's next, do you need a watch to keep track of your pees and poos and tells you when you're hungry? lol. sad

Yes and for only $19.99 + shipping.
amazon.com/Goldeneye-Watch-007/dp/B00M8AWBJ8

oh my smartwatch is beeping to let me know that i need to take a shit. good thing i have a smartwatch or i'd have no way of knowing. how did people survive without these things? did they just shit their pants all the time?

>Can your dumbwatch do this?
Hopefully, no

beep inhale
boop exhale
beep boop beep boop
its a good thing my smartwatch reminds me when to breathe
ding ding time to pee. my smartwatch lets me know when my bladder is full

>battery for almost a whole week!
LMAO

without my smart cup how would i even know what i'm drinking? oh good it says apple juice, i forgot. thankyou smart cup. if i only had sensors on my tongue or the memory to recall what i put into the smart cup in the first place. don't know how i'd survive without technology

Holy sperg

now i just need a smart plate to tell me what i'm eating and whether i'm enjoying it or not. maybe some smart socks to tell me when my feet are cold, otherwise how would i know! so many areas where smart tech can improve our lives

why shouldn't i sperg out? people are relying on technology to do things their own bodies already do for free. it's fucking retarded.

>heart rate
can you not feel your heart beating in your chest? your body will let you know if you're running too hard don't worry about it
>sleep
you need a computer to tell you when you're tired? lol fuck off

i want to snatch every smartwatch and smartphone and smartcup and smartlock and smart this and that and gather into a giant pile and burn the whole lot of it. surveillance state internet of things tracking devices monitoring and recording every aspect of human existance, fuck off. fucking burn it

Because you're just making a fool of yourself.

It doesn't tell you when to sleep, dumbass. It tells you when you've slept and for how long.

>it tells you when you've slept and for how long
i know how long i've slept, a simple clock on the wall can let me know when i wake up. i'll know if it was a good sleep or not based on how refreshed i feel when i wake up. i have a network of sensors across my entire body, it's called the nervous system, learn to use that and you won't need a computer to hold your hand.

>needs computers to do the things he should already know how to do in his head
>literally making a fool of hinself relying on technology to do everything for him
>he doesn't even know how long he slept for unless his smartwatch informs him lol

I can rarely tell you when I went to bed the night before. For the record though I don't have a smartwatch or any of that other newfangled tech you love to hate.

>pebble
>always-on display
>great as a smartwatch
>also great as just a watch
shame they went under. Still love my pebble round.

Are you buying chink shit? I recently bought the Gear Sport and it lasts around 4 days and charges in a few hours, also comes with a cute wireless charger so you can just plop that shit on there.

Are there any watches/bracelets with RFID? For opening doors, not NFC for payments.

Just like you love your hand lotion

Get a better laptop

Salem brother