Game Development General

Mobile game development with Unity thread. Post/Discuss game projects you're currently working on or worked before. How did you use unity? What game you made using unity?
Currently learning unity.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hombU-pkGJM
github.com/EvilPudding/candle
koboldadventure.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=QiaLkbXdwB0
youtube.com/watch?v=PL1LqT3KzyY
strawpoll.me/15202098
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Game Development General
>not unity general
>Mobile game development with Unity thread
>unity unity
>unity unity unity
No.

I only use Godot and UE4.

But if you close your eyes
Does it almost feel like
Nothing changed at all?
And if you close your eyes
Does it almost feel like
You've been here before?
But if you close your eyes
Does it almost feel like
Nothing changed at all?
And if you close your eyes
Does it almost feel like
You've been here before?
Nothing changed at all
Nothing changed at all

youtu.be/hombU-pkGJM

>2018
>still using unity
>still using C#
Everyone knows C is the future.

How did you manage to fit the word Unity into this six times (including image and image title)?

unity is pajeet tier

What is your source of learning. I m thinking of following a book

For UE4 it's mostly their youtube channel and official documentation plus looking at a lot of examples. For Godot I simply followed the getting started guide and figured the rest out myself. I only used it for 2D stuff though.

If you're interested in Unity, Brackeys is a really good start point.

making a comfy Win9x framework for 2D games in SDL2 right now

wish me luck lads

C++ or C?

sticking to C++

baka

f....fuck you

C is the future, mark my words.
github.com/EvilPudding/candle

Fair enough. Nice shading and shit

However
>C++ 0.7%
BTFO

Who here made their own game engine yet?

see >0.7%
I know the bog, but I do not know the 0.7% meme, care to explain?

My videogame was made in JavaScript, HTML and CSS.

koboldadventure.com/

I'm too lazy to learn Unity, any good libraries for Java?
So far I've been coding from scratch, has worked for desktop but I wanna port it to android in the future

Can I use this in a C++ project and does it support animations?

>Can I use this in a C++
Currently there's no reason for you to use this, since there are already so many C++ engines like Ogre and whatnot.

>does it support animations?
You mean skeletal animations? I have implemented skeletal animations before, but not in this engine, it's just me working on it and there's just so much shit to do, will get to it eventually.

>>>/agdg/

Hey! this is Sup Forums related. In vg you don't even have code bl.ocks

Loving it so far

libgdx is breddy good for cross platform. i know it has good 2d support. 3d is good too but not sure on how it compares with other libs

Please don't post NSFW content on a safe for work board.

>Unity

Go as bare as you can.

nice

>that loading
Ok how many monero did I just mine for you

Meh cryengine is royalty free and looks better. Yeah I get the learning curve is too steep for most

Every engine is c++ but unity garbage

Your sentence is fucking garbage

>looks better.
never use default shaders, shitter.

Cryengine's code is a fucking mess, tooling is nearly nonexistent and GNU/Linux support is nonexistent.

>and looks better
A game's art direction is much more important than whatever rendering technologies the engine implements. Stay on Sup Forums if you want to compare engines by how they render some shitty startup scene.

I wasn't taking about unity, what are you on about?

Did you take a lot of Inspiration from Hammer?

Never used any mainstream engine. I thought about using Hammer for a little while, but did not have the patience. Because of this, most things are probably not the most intuitive. I don't know, check the Shift3D main function to decide for yourself.

Zero. In fact, you can download the entire game and play it locally if you want to.

It wont build for me, complaining
nuklear/nuklear.h: No such file or directory
The folder is empty

Unity is garbage. Especially on mobile.

Unreal has an insanely good documentation.

You have to clone recursively. Also, candle is to be used as a static library, so you need to have a main program. I should really invest in documenting and providing examples, currently I only have one, which is Shift3D in my repos.

Ah I was hoping for a simple build and ./run some examples.

Props for MIT user.

Fuck it, I'll upload the twin peaks example right now.

These evil sorcerers, dugpas, they call them, cultivate evil for the sake of evil and nothing else. They express themselves in darkness for darkness, without leavening motive. This ardent purity has allowed them to access a secret place of great power, where the cultivation of evil proceeds in exponential fashion. And with it, the furtherance of evil's resulting power. These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion. The dugpas have many names for it, but chief among them is the Black Lodge... But you don't believe me, do you? You think I'm mad. Overworked. Go away.

How would you go about planning something like this?

Why plan it? Just do stuff until it works.

I started with the entity component system, the rest are like plugins.

You are are cancerous shitheads

Those "Node" keywords are setting red flags off in my mind.
How is your Entity Component system working?

Every c_ indicates a component, if it's c_component_name_t it means it's the structure, if it's c_component_name(&entity) it means to fetch the component component_name from the entity. Check the directory components to see examples of how they're defined.

Uploaded the twin peaks example.

> git pull
> Already up to date.

Check my repos.

How do I ue4?

What do you mean red flags?

Do I need to symlink to the candle repo in place of that empty candle directory? Sorry I'm a bit of a gahnoo+loonix newb.

~/git/twinpeaks(master) » make user@archhost
rm -f candle/build/candle.a
mkdir -p build
mkdir -p build/components
make -C candle PARENTCFLAGS=
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/user/git/twinpeaks/candle'
make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/git/twinpeaks/candle'
make: *** [Makefile:37: candle/build/candle.a] Error 2

and

~/git/twinpeaks(master) » gcc main.c user@archhost
main.c:1:10: fatal error: candle.h: No such file or directory
#include

Shit, somehow I fucked the curtains' texture.

When you clone, you have to do a recursive clone because I'm using submodules.

As much as I fucking love both C and C++ they're simply not the right tool for everything. There's no need to write everything in languages like those, only the most critical stuff. This makes it easier for everyone to make or modify existing games and game development is quicker too.

>constructors hardwired to use malloc()

Given what this is going to be used for, you might want to consider incorporating a system which can construct objects into a simple contiguous memory allocator.

excellent thanks.

What do you mean? All components are going to continuous memory organized in pages. The only thing using malloc is meshes textures and materials. The most critical part is the components, so I don't think I need to pack the rest. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Rightclick to move around press shift to pan.

You can open editmode.c and editlook.c to see how those controls are implemented and how you could create alternatives.

Fair enough then I guess, I only saw a few bits of it. Still, it might buy you a bit of extra performance if parts of a game manipulate mesh structures on the fly. It could just be an an alternative to *_new() which also takes a struct containing say, an offset pointer and a maximum size.

Maybe you're right, although the large portion of data in a mesh has to be in vectors because it's size has to be dynamic, which means you'll get one cache miss there anyway. Also, every memory that's rendered is in GPU memory.

I'm kind of making excuses though, because handling memory manually instead of crazy heap allocations would be better for sure, it's just there's so many other things I need to get working before it's usable that I wouldn't have time for that. I'm open to contributions though :)

just use unreal engine. its way better than this garbage

For now I would just make sure it's something that can be added later. You're absolutely right to focus on getting it working first.

Lmao, of course it is, Unreal is being developed huge teams, and has a huge head start. Although, I will keep using this for my masters thesis and small projects, because it's really quick to startup and prototype on. Also, I know it completely and can do things I could never do outside of it. For example, my thesis involves 4D meshes made of tetrahedra cells, which I doubt I can use in unreal.

Can unreal do this?
youtube.com/watch?v=QiaLkbXdwB0
or this?
youtube.com/watch?v=PL1LqT3KzyY

I am currently making a star wars game which I am hoping the film studios will buy for around 170 million when it is finished. I hope to finish sometime this year and by june 2019 I hope to be driving in a lambo on my way to executive lunches with google, universal studios, and Mark Zuckerberg. anyway my stuff shits all over the stuff I have seen and read in this thread

probably. try it yourself and see if you can do it

Just did a quick search, no, you do not have the power to use 4D cell meshes in unreal. I know this is very specific and is not needed in most cases, but I'm just explaining why I'm doing it and using it instead of other engines. Nothing against UE. Also, I love C.

you don't know until you try it yourself.
download unreal and try it

Don't feed the trolls my dude.

Lol, the number of dimensions a vertex holds is hardcoded most of the time, I do not see a reason it wouldn't be.

it probably is

You're such a faggot.

Tell me.
strawpoll.me/15202098

What's the point of the loading screens, just for "visual effect"?

Yes, especially if with that desktop.

good luck selling it when they will probably just steal it and claim they made it ala rule #7 of power.

Use SDL for game development. Unity is ok if you need to prototype stuff I guess. But holy shit is it broken and dumb.

It literally teaches you to program in dumb ways.

comfy af. Can you make announcements or something on github? I assume you'll twitch so where do I follow?

godot > unity

Can you elaborate on that? I've written games that have been played by millions of people, but it was shitty facebook/mobile stuff. I agree Unity is really nice for prototyping and just getting stuff in place to see how it feels, but I've not used it in a professional context.

Why exactly is Unity so bad, other than meming 'muh bloat' or something?

My twitch name is sirevilpudding, I've streamed before on liveedu before it got shitty, but I'm really new at this, at what hours is it best?

フォローed
No idea, depends on when your audience is awake I guess. I've streamed gamedev before and was surprised how quickly people joined, but I guess it's quite a niche. I was just streaming some really bad Unity dev too; terrain edit, free models from asset store, learning API as I went along and taking suggestions from chat.

irc rizon #Sup Forumsamedev

> implying we have jobs

I don't usually use irc, that room sounds very specific, did you make it now?

I did not, stumbled across it a while ago. Rizon is full of perverts though, it's great. There are better gamedev channels on freenode.

Ok. Nice to know.

The industry standard shouldn't be used? I get that we aren't all AAA but if you actually want a job in the industry you better know what you're doing. Dragging and dropping shit in Unity doesn't really mean anything on your resume

>>>>>>>>>not writing your own engine
pathetic

SDL and Unity are in two entirely different ballparks... Not sure what the hell you're trying to imply. If you're trying to do something on the scale of Unity the only thing SDL would be good for is creating a window and GL/DX context

Never used unity, what's so good about it? Can you specify your own scene graph? It seems like it's really only good for prototyping a handful of officially-sanctioned genres, i.e. FPS, platformer, RPG, etc, but anything outside of that you have to do just as much work to get going as anything else.

Note that I'm not saying those languages have to be used for *everything*, but writing your engine in anything else doesn't seem like a great idea unless your game isn't super demanding (and yes I understand that's the case for most people). Hell, if you care about modifications you could probably use Lua or something similar for the actual gameplay code

Uh user, what you just asked is what I was asking... I said I've not used it in a professional context but it's nice to prototype stuff, so idk why you're asking me "what's so good about it?"