/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

duckduckgo.com/?q=evil maid attack&ia=web
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
github.com/garchymede/archlinux_on_asus_E200HA
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hdparm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tried to run a .mkv file I've played multiple times before without a problem. Got this error. Any ideas?

>VLC
Theres your problem

When ever I launch icecat it creates two instances. How to stop this?

Good thread.

stop eating lunch

I installed Openconnect to connect to my uni's network.

I can see the shared folders but i can't see the folder shortcuts (windows symlinks).

It gives me the following error: ls: cannot access 'shortcutToAFolder': No such file or directory.

Do i have to change the samba config? If yes, what do i need to write?

GuixSD is the secret to ascension.

What would happen if I mounted ~/.mozilla from one machine onto another using SSHFS?

You could use a different firefox profile

a furry will come out from the monitor

Just installed antergos with gnome and everything setup, the only problem I have is that I have no sound (via speakers, cant test headphones rn)

I have a vivobook e200ha and I think on windows it usually installed some asus sound drivers, whats the alternative on linux, specifically on arch distros?

Who does Gnome feel nice and purty out of the box on Fedora but not Gnome?

*but not on Debian

Are there some subtle tweaks or something?

"flashsip" experience

Figures you should first check lspci -k and maybe hwinfo (hwinfo --sound); you might need to install pciutils and hwinfo for that.

Also pactl info and pactl list (Antergos uses pulseaudio, right?).

Will portage override my global USE flags if a package requires something I turned off? Is there a way to see the required flags other than looking up each ebuild in the git repository?

"hwinfo --sound" just runs through and then disappears with no info, "lspci -k" doesn't list anything that looks like sound, "pactl list" returns:

Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

and yeah I think antergos uses pulseaudio

So I've been using Deepin for quite some time, it's a Chinese fork of Ubuntu. However, I think it's time I conquer my fear and go to a more intermediate level linux distro.

I've used manjaro in the past, but I didn't really care for the DE that came with it; so now I'm thinking let's try something entirely new.

Is there anything you all would recommend? I've been looking at Void and Slackware because I like the idea of a minimalist setup (especially because it will "force" me to learn how my system works).

Getting this error after I ran apt update today. Any ideas on how to resolve it without losing all my loaded torrents?

Job for transmission-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status tra
nsmission-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript transmission-daemon, action "start" failed.
● transmission-daemon.service - Transmission BitTorrent Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/transmission-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-03-04 14:48:57 EST; 6ms ago
Process: 13860 ExecStart=/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f --log-error (code=exited, status=217/USER)
Main PID: 13860 (code=exited, status=217/USER)

Mar 04 14:48:57 Super-Server systemd[1]: Starting Transmission BitTorrent Daemon...
Mar 04 14:48:57 Super-Server systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Mar 04 14:48:57 Super-Server systemd[1]: Failed to start Transmission BitTorrent Daemon.
Mar 04 14:48:57 Super-Server systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 04 14:48:57 Super-Server systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: error processing package transmission-daemon (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
transmission-daemon
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

i downloaded the Debian live DVD iso and burned it into a dvd

how do i make it work now?

reboot ur pc

might need to change boot order

>reboot ur pc
did that nothing happened
>might need to change boot order
will look into that thanks

I'm trying to install the latest weechat through apt-get on Debian Stretch but the piece of shit won't look at the fucking repo I added. It's always set to a lower priority, apt-cache policy weechat tells me 1.6.1 is the best candidate even though 1.9 is available through official debian repos and it's detecting 2.0.1 through the weechat repo I added
How the FUCK do I tell this piece of shit package manager to look at the newest fucking version?

>debian is SO MUCH BETTER THEN ARCH
>i have to add extra third party repo's
>still cant install it

>pacman -S weechat
>Done

apt install package:version

That's because the arch repo is up to date, idiot. If it wasn't you'd be fighting with your package manager all the same.

Specifying the version tells me it's going to install 1.6.1 no matter what I tell it to do.

Is there any way to defend against an attack of this sort these days?

I have my laptop's hard disk encrypted with LUKS. Am I vulnerable?

duckduckgo.com/?q=evil maid attack&ia=web

user... educate yourself
Don't make a Frankendebian

If you want the newest software on a Stable distro, then you either add a backport through debian's backport system, or you compile the software yourself in your home directory. Or you upgrade to Debian Testing or Debian Unstable if you want newer everything. Don't add repos you dunce, it's not Ubuntu.

wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Also
>Using apt-get

Use aptitude, better front-end.

In your experience, what are some fixes I could try for audio crackling on Wine?

Follow the alsa or pulse archwiki

>without losing all my loaded torrents?
transmission stores its in .config/transmission[-daemon] active torrents and resume files so you can just back that up and replace it if you have to reinstall or whatever. You should also be able to load the torrents in a different client since the actual .torrent files are all there.

I have an odd issue. When I try to run games (HL2, Insurgency, or even PCSX2) after booting, the framerate is capped at 20-30 FPS. However, after suspending and resuming the computer, games run at 60+ FPS just fine. I don't get what's going on. GFX card is an NVIDIA 965M and I'm using the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

I don't feel like I need a DE since I never use the desktop on windows, what issues might I run into if I only run i3 or something?

who is this lady and what is she talking about?

Don't know who she is, sorry m8.

i vote for void.

hey guys
trying out linux finally

i installed mineOS on an old craptop and it works fine

tried to do the same using bootable sd on the rock64, no dice.

debian work perfect on either machine.

WHY won't the mineOS boot the rock64?

Do you use void? Coming from essentially Ubuntu, will it be a steep learning curve?

Best guess for this image: Hayley Atwell

never used void before. too much of a brainlet. im on debian unstable for a month. no breakages so far. i want to install void tho

I've ended up in an odd situation. I have 35 folders. The first is named 1, the second is named 2, and so on. In each of these folders, there are 4 files. '1.png', '2.png', '3.png', '4.png'. In each of these folders, I wish to run "convert *.png -append out.pdf", and rename each 'out.pdf' after its original directory (e.g. 'out1.pdf' from the first folder) and then unpack each pdf from its original folder. Any ideas? I've tried loops, but I seem to be too dumb to get them to work.

also it seems to be pretty similar to debian so to me at least will feel like home.

I don't have a clue how anything in linux works so pseudocode incoming
for (int i = 1; i

this is for

For sure, we’ll Ill probably post here when I start having problems.

How to mount an external luks hard drive? I have the password, but it didn't mount. I'm using thunar if that helps.

Why do GTK and Qt even exist? Why can't we just use Xt, and have simple config through Xresources?

for dir in {1..35}; do
convert $d/*png out$d.pdf
done

untested, also I don't remember how convert handles pdf output i think you might have to play with the settings because the defaults have godawful resolution which you probably don't want if you're converting images

whoops. that should either be "for d in {1.35} ..." or "conver $dir/*png out$dir.pdf". I mean, you can name your variables whatever you want, just make sure you use the same name throughout, obviously

void is easy AF to install and use. I don't know what I'm doing and I've been using a void install for just over 12 months. Not a single breakage either.

I'm trying to compile Bomi Player in my fresh debian install all the ./configure went well and i downloaded all the but in the end i get a message like

Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: quick svg x11extras

now i'm trying to clone some qt5 super package who is taking a lot of time who goes like this soluiton!

git clone git://code.qt.io/qt/qt5.git -b 5.7
cd qt5/
./init-repository
./configure -release -opengl es2 -device linux-rasp-pi2-g++ -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=~/raspi/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian-x64/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf- -sysroot ~/raspi/sysroot -opensource -confirm-license -make libs -prefix /usr/local/qt5pi -extprefix ~/raspi/qt5pi -hostprefix ~/raspi/qt5 -v -nomake examples -nomake tests -skip qtwebkit -skip qtwebkit-examples -skip qtwebengine
make
make install

somebody here knows how i can resolve this?

udisksctl unlock -b /dev/sdb5
>Passphrase:
>Unlocked /dev/sdb5 as /dev/dm-1.
sudo mount -r /dev/dm-1 ~/external/
>mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
What am I doing wrong?

You have to use the LVM name.
>/dev/mapper/X

sudo mount -r /dev/mapper/luks... ~/external/
>mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'

question for people who use full disk encryption. What data do you have that you need secured? Do you simply encrypt because you can? Nothing on my computer is sensitive. personal information like my billing and banking is all online through secure e-mail. About the only bit of personal information is my CV which I keep on an external drive anyway. Everything else is just stuff I've downloaded publicly. Adding full disk encryption would just be hassle for me.

Tried to fix my antergos audio issue for my specific model with: github.com/garchymede/archlinux_on_asus_E200HA

but when I do mkinitcpio -p vivobook it throws ==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/4.12.0-rc1' is not a valid kernel module directory

How can I fix that to successfully build the image?

I have an issue with xubuntu 16.04
I installed it, it worked and everything, but when i restarted and removed the USB it just says
>Dev/sda2 clean xxxxx/xxxxx
Then just nothing happens after this

Anything any of you have experienced?

Getting a bit discouraged from Linux, trying to set it up for development to test the waters, from Windows.

Tried kubuntu (17.10) and pretty much damn near everything crashed if I so much as tried poking at it the wrong way. Using it felt like dragging my mouse cursor through molasses, as well. The oddest part was that even the logout crashed on me, something about a "ksmserver-logout-greeter closed unexpectedly". It's a bit jarring for a first-timer, I had to cut the power manually.

Do I need to downgrade to LTS or something? Maybe try another distro? I'm not sure. For now I'll stick to my Windows partition.

Are you using a liveusb or full install on a seperate hdd/partition?

Try Xubuntu LTS or a Debian netinstall
Ubuntu is a pretty buggy mess even though it's often recommended as a newbie friendly distro. LTS might be better.

Ubuntu is based on Debian. Debian's one of the good old reliable distros, but it might be a bit less handholdy to set up than Ubuntu (but not by much). There are three branches of Debian - Stable, Testing, and Sid. Always install Stable first and then decide if you want to upgrade it to the other branches or leave it as is.

sxiv can't open pixmap files on Arch. The binary from Arch's repo works on Debian. Other image viewers work fine on Arch. Is this just a typical example of Arch breaking in subtle ways?

I've used Debian Stretch before on a server, to use as a Discord bot. It's certainly quite nice to use from a terminal. Does it have as nice of a GUI experience?

You can install KDE on it and you won't feel a difference from Kubuntu (except a less buggy environment of course)

Desktop Environments are interchangeable,

I see, thanks. I'll give it a shot later.

Do you not have a password protected phone? Or a bank pin? Does your email only require you to press login?
I have a password to the files on my computer because they're mine. It's nobody's business.

With all the distro dickwaving on this board, why did I only learn about Hyperbola while researching what distro to install on my own? It's supposed to be the best parts of Arch combined with the best parts of Debian, minus systemd and totally libre. Anyone here using it? This is basically exactly what I've been looking for.

Alright so I have a dilemma
I installed Arch balls deep today, and I started to try and get xorg going for i3. I (think) I've installed all of the right packages: xinit, startx, the proper driver (xf86-video-intel), the works. Thing is, when I type startx, all I get is a mouse on my screen. No windows, but just a mouse, with the terminal text behind it. I think this means that X is running, but I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any and all help would be appreciated

install void

did you configure your .xinitrc?

why do i have to compile chromium again, an hour after compiling it once, just to install steam?

Maybbbbbee it pull down optional depamdamcy.

My cursor starts shaking when I hold my finger on the touchpad on Arch, I used Ubuntu and had the same problem though. Is this a sensitivity issue with libinput or is my touchpad broken?

Installed mint this morning, and I want to replace Cinnamon with KDE, guides online tell me to use the package manager but it doesn't show, how can I install it through terminal?

Is KDE even the best for ricing?

Someone's excited!

>How can I augment my mouse polling rate in Linux?
>Why is the clock in my Lubuntu taskbar the same color than my taskbar?

Do any music players have the ability to prevent external hard drives from sleeping? Foobar does it on windows.

My drive just sleeps in between any song over like 3 minutes and there's no options to fix it I can find

Is this the usb3 power saving thing? That's a kernel feature, there is a file under the device in sysfs that can turn it off.

Edit the "vivobook" presets to include the proper module path

>install 18 months old
>constantly downloading a shitload of large files moving them around to sort and deleting them
>3.9% fragmentation

ext4 is pretty neat

No it's built in to the HDD somehow, the HDD ignores all settings I set on any OS no matter what I set it just goes back to sleep if nothing is being written/read to it.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hdparm

How do I emerge kile without pulling in the whole KDE environment? My approach is to just install it from source.

Stop using Mint, a useless downstream distribution from a somewhat downstream distribution. Use Ubuntu.

>it doesn't show
KDE Plasma is in the Ubuntu repositories. Open up the man page for your package manager. Look for how to search with it. Search for KDE Plasma to find its package name and then install it.

First time Linux (Debian) user, and I fucked up and installed GRUB on my Windows drive. I can boot into Debian by selecting my Windows drive at start up, but in the bootloader Windows isn't an option. Should I move the bootloader into the Debian drive? How would I do that?

I'm not sure I understand

I know Monospaced fonts are handled by fontconfig, and the default for this is known as 'mono' in one's system (and I know the defaults for each family can be changed)

But what about the 'fixed' default? From what I can gather it's a bitmap font handled by xfontsel. But how can I see its default? Is it the eqiuvalent of Monospaced fonts in bitmap fonts?

Don't panic. Worst case scenario is you simply uninstall Debian, remove GRUB, and restore the Windows bootloader with a Windows Recovery USB that you can download for free from Microsoft. THEN once everything works as before, you try installing Debian again without making the same mistake

There's probably a more straight forward way than that, but that's the worst case scenario.

In any case, you do have good backups of your presonal stuff right?

What are your favorite bitmap fonts? Something a larger than usual. For instance, I really, really enjoy the way lemon and tewi look but they're a bit too small for me.

Boot in to the live usb debian.
Then when you are in it run os-prober and let it take over the grub config.

Fixed width and monospaced are synonyms for a type of font. It has nothing to do with it being a bitmap or vector font. I don't know much about fonts to correct you on your other things, but I am pretty sure that xfontsel is just a program to view fonts and their information. It has nothing to do with selecting "defaults", which is handled per individual program or GUI toolkit.

fonts.alias files in /usr/share/fonts
xfd -fn fixed

Here enjoy my OC GNU/MEME

Yes, I edited it to where it says exec i3. I have edited the xserverrc file, too, according to the Arch wiki page on it.

Pic related is an image of what's happening

post /var/log/X11/Xorg.0.log

Pics in the posts to follow

You'll have to forgive this inefficient method, I'm relatively a newfriend. 1/???

2/???

4/???