Speakers

I've now been snubbed three times in an attempt to find a worthwhile portable speaker. Through two gifts and one purchase of my own, each speaker has either crapped out absurdly quickly or just been bad. What do you use? I don't need some audiophile's $500 wet dream, just a reliable budget BT speaker that sounds decent and won't abruptly stop working within a month. pic related, shitty Chinese "gift" that crapped out within a month for no reason whatsoever with a voice that sounds like a Chinese woman trying to sound British. Bless mom's heart, she has no idea how to buy these things.

Also just speakers/sound peripherals in general, discuss what you want

Other urls found in this thread:

alteclansing.com/product/lifejacket-xl/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>>what do you use?
some dumb boxy speaker made of solid wood that I can't even move by myself and requires to be hooked up to a separate power amp. completely useless to you.
my suggestion to you, get an apple homepod. sounds pretty decent. and this is someone who is used to listening to music on a glorious hifi system that is certainly NOT portable.

thanks for the rec, but that's a bit too "smart." smart speakers freak me out a little bit to be honest. I'm pretty plugged in and I use voice commands on my phone, but something about these things just gets to me.
plus apple is for faggots

i honestly cant think of any other bluetooth speaker that sounds as good as the airpod. its not even bluetooth actually. if you dont have an iphone its possibly useless actually as i think it only works over airplay. ive heard lots of other bluetooth speakers some by jbl, ultimate ears, and bose and none of them sound as good as the airpod.

I've used a Phillips sb10 for 6 years now and it works great. It sounds pretty good too.

Sbt10*

I like my Denon Envaya Mini. It has a warm, but not too bassy sound signature. It sounds best indoors, when placed about 10 cm from a wall.

Lots of people rave about the JBL Flip 3/4, which is in the same price range, but has a more V-shaped sound signature. It supposedly sounds better outdoors than the Envaya Mini.

Get XB30 or XB40 by Sony. I have the XB30 and it's amazing, sounds really nice, gets really loud, battery life has been really good and you can wirelessly daisy chain them. If you don't like the colorful LEDs those can be turned off.

These are all a scam. The little bose portable is particularly heinous

Just buy a better Chinese speaker for like $20-30 from a typical /csg/ source.

Yes, the Chinese make almost all of these and a better one will work fine, you don't need the burger rebranding and $200 on top.

alteclansing.com/product/lifejacket-xl/

Decent for the price and the battery lasts longer than most others

> Decent for the price
> It's fucking $200
One of these days I'm also going to rip off audiophiles.

>thinking $200 is a lot for what it offers
>Audiophile in ANY way

Okay. May as well get your 1980s alarm clock radio and stick a 9 volt battery in it and listen to the radio that way

> It's either $200 or it's surely worse. Must sound like an alarm clock.
Don't tempt me to sell you $1500 herpaderp brand premium tungsten encrusted speakers with that flattened V-shaped warm audio signature.

Literally half of the price of that thing is the battery life. A quarter is the dust proof (take that as you will) and floats in water part. And the other quarter is the speakers. Get a grip my dude

>Literally half of the price of that thing is the battery life.
Holy shit, no. I'm going to guess it has about the counterpart of 518650 Lithium cells inside, if even that. Maybe it's flat cells though. $25 if in batteries if we're generous.

That said, I couldn't find the actual specs. Did you have some or are you really my ideal customer that just guesses anything $200 must have $100 in batteries alone?

> A quarter is the dust proof (take that as you will) and floats in water part.
Lel, a whole IP67 stereo bluetooth speaker is ~$30 in China with export and reseller fees.

You're telling me enclosing / applying some seals must have cost $50 alone? Hahaha. Surely they're using higher quality quality quality seals with that special type of silicone rubber non-open plastic thing that costs $40 AT LEAST, right?

Find me an equivalent one if you're so smart, bucko.

Never mind, just found this in the docs:
> microUSB charging
> a full charge takes approximately 4 hours
So more like $10-15 worth of batteries, even if they actually use a 5V 2[.1]A charge adapter rather than a more common and cheaper to source 5V 0.5A or 5V 1A. Hard to tell what they actually have inside though, there is fuckall for actual specs.

Find me the actual specs. Has bluetooth (100ft), has some kind of batteries "up to" 40h, has waterproof ip67 is nothing. What parts are inside, what are their actual numerical specs? Maybe if I knew that I could find something a bit like it.

Otherwise any /csg/ $20 bluetooth speaker that says it's waterproof or ip67 is basically the same as this.

Auvio 500, just brought it into the shower with me

JBL Charge 3.
~$150
Decent sound and build quality, 20 hr battery life, charges phone, not a spybot.
That'd be my choice.

> charges phone
$15 in a dedicated charger.

I get that there are advantages (apart of disadvantages) of having it all in one device though. But as always, this is a pricey toy.

> not a spybot
That's obviously normal. How would it be spying if all it has is the bluetooth audio connection to your phone?

Inb4 the Chinese surely will integrate satellite data transceivers to spy on what burgers say, but not do it on the speakers that will receive a burger rebrand after being made in China.

My Aukey has been great. Generally speaking Aukey and Anker are my go to "better than the lowest tier chinese but also not expensive" brands.

Though how do we know the problem isn't you? If you're using these daily until the batteries die that's likely the issue - your phone wouldn't survive this either.

> If you're using these daily until the batteries die that's likely the issue - your phone wouldn't survive this either.
I don't think it was his fault. The speaker in the OP looks like the worst type of device China might produce.

Normal lithium batteries don't fail this quickly, and it doesn't take Xiaomi or Anker to make sure that is the case.

BUT there are really horrible manufacturers with really horrible batteries. A few. Not the ones that tend to survive and sell a lot on actual international chinese export stores (weird names and unstylish looks do not already imply shitty batteries), but the ones that often seem to make it into some local discounter stores in Europe or the USA.

This this is LOUD

and affordable

UE Boom 2. Just don't don't update it or you'll get Alexa cancer, so skip the app unless you want to share audio with multiple people

I use them infrequently, mostly at get-togethers. I'd use them more nowadays since I'm on a laptop now (uni life) but still only with friends - I have a good pair of headphones for solo. The first one that crapped out got pushed to the edge of its life maybe twice before it decided to stop charging. The second one I highly doubt even got through its battery once, and even after I recharged it (for the first time) wondering if that was the problem, it didn't change a thing. The shitty one is fully functional, just bad, and that's my fault for cheaping out on it. Point is, of the two speakers I've had that crapped out on me, neither should have been due to user error.

I use the now discontinued UE Roll 2 specifically because the speaker has a bungee cord. I like strapping and hanging it on stuff

16W, 80dB SNR, Magnavox MMA3632 is a rebranded Craig speaker, charges with a 9V 2A adapter. ~$55-$65 on Amazon. Not a fashion accessory - two decent sized woofers with passive radiators in the middle. I don't know why it says NFC.