What does Sup Forums think about IRCv3? It's like Matrix and XMPP and whatnot, but built on good old time tested IRC

What does Sup Forums think about IRCv3? It's like Matrix and XMPP and whatnot, but built on good old time tested IRC.

Creeping featuritis, therefore shit.

No, just stop already, if it ain't fucking broke, don't fucking fix it.

>Creeping featuritis
What? It seems like it's supposed to have a standard featureset for an IM protocol.

But IRC was never meant for use with IM, there's not even an internal account system.

let it die

lots of nice improvements
I plan on writing an ircd with backlog support for registered nicks via chathistory/server-time

nickserv is pretty standard

no u

>nickserv is pretty standard
But it's not actually part of the protocol, it's just something tacked on.

It's shit. SASL is shit. Everything else, nobody even implements and nobody would implement the CAP shit if SASL didn't require it.

>nobody even implements
znc.in/server-time is already implemented in a few clients
you're also free to send in patches for clients that implement support for ircv3 features, I doubt they'd reject them

it works though, so who cares?

>no history
>can't send messages to offline users
>no friend list
>no decent files/images transfer
>basically requires you to own a server or a vps to be barely usable
I-it's not broken and ancient.

Sounds like a bunch of bloat.

Yeah, you don't need an instant messenger if you have no people to talk with.
Better going to lurk some #channels.

>no history
>images
fixable with IRCv3

>files
DCC still works

>no friend list
it's useless anyway

>no history
no need to implement it on the daemon. if desired, ChanServ could be used for this. (lots of channel already put bots for this purpose anyway)
MemoServ works fine. some channels have bots with this functionality too.
>no friend list
can be implemented on the clients
>no decent files/images transfer
i can agree with this, dcc is one of the most unstable pieces of tech i've ever had the displeasure of using.
>basically requires you to own a server or a vps to be barely usable
bullshit and if you really want it you can get a bnc from third party. good channels always have a bot that will forward important public messages anyway.
there's also /notice

What features? I only need a few.

wot how do you even develop software if you can't add features

it's already riddled with retarded rules, IRC deserves cleanup and not another features putted in while preserving the nightmares of prev version.
Don't really know much about XMPP.
I don't like line-based protocols desu. It feels stupid for sending text which either can't contain linebreak or has to use some stupid escaping. Matrix uses JSON which I probably like slightly more. Without the session encryption it looks very simple, the authentication servers are part of the design unlike hacky IRC solutions. But the encryption is way too complex.
I don't really know how much is necessary. TLS between client-server and server-server is nobrainer, maybe even 1:1 privmsg. Public rooms don't really need session encryption since anybody can join and do logs.

also for some reason "t b h" without spaces gets changed to "desu"

Not seeing this shit spec ever work.

It's definitely not matrix or xmpp, they may not be perfect but they at least thought about how to structure their messages.

I'll take a look at it once it's usable

Which server is using this?

It's not my favorite, but it's not bad. If it can kill fucking slack though, I'll shill for it. I hate slack

none of these features matter to people who use irc still enough to replace what exists

>he wasn't around for wordfilters
roody-poo ass faget