/wt/ Watch Thread

CHADs Only edition

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=NxvRb2o5NBU

>Properly boxing a watch for shipping:
youtube.com/watch?v=7kP7SAXqiZw

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri (embed)

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z8WvSGNEV24
youtube.com/watch?v=QDFqsjoFFxo
artificehoroworks.com/shop/seiko-skx009-hacking-handwind-pepsi-enhanced/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First.

First for chads

Speaking of gold plated should I get the Banana?

youtube.com/watch?v=z8WvSGNEV24

I don't hate it. Post specs, cbf with a video

Best

Fun fact: this watch was based on a 1916 Tissot that was sent in for a factory repair by the Russian owner in 1917 and it couldn't be returned because of the commie revolution so it sat at Tissot, fixed and ready to be shipped back for a hundred years.

Also I bet the one hundred year old obsolete shitter is far better quality, and better manufactured that the re-edition nu-Tossit wrist garbage.

Got my bracelet extension. As long as it doesn't fall apart, I highly recommend one if you have a bracelet that doesn't fit perfectly

Does any such watch exist that fits these criteria:
>Bead blasted metal (prefer steel)
>Chronograph
>Rotating Bezel
>Cheaper than $200
>Brand with horological roots

toss it sounds about right

I don't know if one but at that price point your probably looking at Seiko or timex, and definitely quartz, obviously.

What a shitty Eco-Drive knock-off.

How can you tell when the crown is screwed down?

It stops turning

A great video about luxury watchmaking: youtube.com/watch?v=QDFqsjoFFxo

Asshurt citicuck triggeree by a superior solar diver.

The case looks very nicely proportioned, i guess due to its smaller size. The gold is dogshit but thank god casio has also silver ones in its MTP line.

Just found this model, damn, thats some fine dial composition. I wish they made the seiko 5 dials that appealing.

>Asshurt citicuck triggeree by a superior solar diver.
Kek, you're the triggered one. Your Soyko is more expensive and even worse.
Just check WUS forums to have the proof.

Stop talking to the pasta, user.

I'm a copypasta too.

>citicuck actually brought up WatchuSOY forums

Ahahahahahaha fucking pussy bitch
Rim my smelly arse fag

Pasta?

Jesus and I thought weekend threads were bad.

no u

Are Siekos the best option for a poorfag? They seem pretty cheap.

Poorfags with hundreds of dollars

Pasta.
I'm not at your level tho

A Seiko 5 with a nice leather strap is a staple poorfag watch.

Yes, they are cheap and good quality.

>only spending a couple hundred on a watch
So yeah, a poorfag.

I have this mtp model, out of all of them this one I liked the most.

This

Reminder:

Seiko Spring Drive is just fancy quartz and nothing more; all the weaknesses of a mechanical movement married to the shortcummings of quartz. What Seiko Kinetic are now, Spring Drive will be within the next decade.

The less you agree with this, the more you are pic related.

That is all.

low quality bait

What is this pic from? Backstory?

Love the Flieger; which one is it? (as in, who makes it?)

Based

Where are you buying this from?

That or Casio maybe even Orient depending on how much of a poorfag and what look you want.
Just remember that you can get cheap straps of almost any kind that will look how you want but if you want a bracelet you will have to pay a bit more and buy a watch that comes with one.

I remember you...you posted the bait a few days ago about chronographs not having a function. Here, have a (you) and a Chrono on me for your trouble.

is this the poorest thread on Sup Forums?

>buying soylex
>ever

Do you count "how can I live on $10 for a month" type threads on /fit/?

/fit/ isn't part of Sup Forums, they are basically reddit.

No, that would be Sup Forums.

>a bunch of closeted fags jerking off to each other
>not Sup Forums
How new are you

Rolex forum member

/fit/ and Sup Forums are the most normie boards. Not exactly hug boxes like Reddit though.

>$700

I disagree with all of you. /fit/ is more tfwnogf than r9k. It's more depressing than r9k.

What are you waiting for in the mail /wt/?
>tfw waiting for calculator watch in the mail

GOD damn your cute user, your post without the gif is amazingly cute. GOD DAMN.

A Chinese 6497 clone.

Looks nice and clean, good watch.

>what happens on day 6?
>just scratch my shit up, senpai

I like the black and yellow bezel, saw some parnis models with that bezel on their page for like 80$.

>lifting for girls
I mean particular parts are other parts don't care about that at all. Right now there are 2 threads about gfs and neither is tfwnogf.

>I mean particular parts are other parts don't care about that at all
Please go back to school

There was a cringe worthy thread yesterday of them trolling "thinspo" threads on /fa/. Actually seen a number of those. It's obviously because they are so lonely they need to troll some mentally ill 15 year old girls.

I think it's kinda cute in the way a child bullies the girl he likes.

Shut the fuck up reddit cuck, trolling /fa/ is always in season.

>2 threads is all of /fit/
Go back to school.
Yeah I saw that. I took that as more of them trying to justify being fat. A hand full of threads doesn't make the board though. There are a number of "hottest athlete from your sport" type threads on Sup Forums doesn't make the entire board faggots.

im looking for a simple and aesthetic watch like pic related so can i get some advise from you who may know more than i do?

i'm looking for a watch simple but precise and good looking like this, i like a lot the braces and the sphere where the minutes are displayed but i cant afford the $700 it costs

Save up

Save up for the real thing or if you can't wait get a Junkers Bauhaus with the ETA 2824.

Is it junkers that have max bill type watches? That or save up really. It would be worth the wait.

>Save up

i wish i could, but the student life hurts my moneys

Save $30 a week and you would have it in 24 weeks time. 30 isn't too much to cut out of a weekly budget.

Get a fake Daniel Wellington for $30 from Sarah_Watch on dhgate

Don't be irresponsible. If you can save for a 200$ watch, as an example, then you can save for a 700$ watch. Saving money is far simpler than it seems...and the discipline you learn in the process rewards you tenfold.

Never buy a substitution watch, because you'll always be lusting over the real thing. Save up, have discipline, and you'll be happier in the long run. Don't be a jackass.

This!

When I was a kid I used to travel with my dad to Hong Kong and there would be people on the streets saying "Copywatch copywatch" and selling fake Rolexes and Breitlings. Brings back comfy memories. I wonder if they still do that.

thanks for the advices, i think i'll save up for now

That is an Archimede.

What are some examples where having a plastic part in the movement is a benefit?

Love that Omega on the right.

You could get the junkers bauhaus with a quartz, its 200€ here in germany at least.
I got the eta 2824-2 version. Going strong, no problems so far. The glass is not sapphire tho, it will get micro scratches at the dome from only waering it under a sleve. But i stopped being bothered about them. The bracelet is aftermarket. the leather one that it comes with, was too boring for. me.

Ignore my lense aids on the phone cam.

the price is cheaper

Technically there are a lot of reason plastics are suited to being parts of movements. Realistically are you going to pay the same for a moment with plastic in it? Because they sell them at the same price.

>the average intelligence of a Sup Forumstard in MMXVIII

Awesome...thank you. Looking it up now. I've always wanted a Flieger, but my lack of knowledge regarding who makes ones that are respectable has largely been the constricting factor. Originally I thought IWC would be the one that I'd save up for...but then about 5 or 6 years ago EVERYONE started making one, and I lost track of what was good and what wasn't. All I really wanted was an 'authentic' one (i.e. one that looked right, was made by a company that could have made them for the Luftwaffe, and has a movement that is not a problem).

How are you enjoying yours? (or not, if it gives trouble)

>how can I live on $10 for a month
Pass me the link senpai. Don't judge me, watches aren't cheap.

Well for example they can be used in the day-date mechanism when they're used either once a day or only during quicksetting. Plastic wheels are self-lubricating and tend to flex where metal would break. They're unfit for high-precision, high-torque application, like the running gear train, but they have their merits.

Bait, but I sort of agree.

I went there last June. I got offered fake watches about 8 times in two weeks.
I didn’t take them up on their offer.

Also I’ve never seen as many luxury watch shops as on Hong Kong’s main strip. And I’ve been to Geneva.

Which one, Sup Forums?

The SRP779 or SKX009? I'm leaning towards the Turtle because the movement is better, but I like the SKX's smaller form factor...

Or any other cool microbrands in that price-range?

I believe the original manufacturers were Stowa, Archimede and Laco. Stowa would be my personal choice.
I got this archimede second hand for £120 is perfect condition and I actually sold it last year.
Very nice watch but I got a bit bored of the aesthetic desu.

Left. It’s a good watch and isn’t obnoxiously large.

They never do, no extension is going to help that, I think.

Luxury goods in Hong Kong has always been amazing, I guess it's because all of China shops there. When I was little you used to get stuff cheaper there too, that's not true anymore since it is all fair traded. Plus watches were pretty easy to sneak back into the US without paying taxes. Now it's probably not so easy. My dad had more balls than I do about not paying the taxman.

have you looked at the new mini-turtle?

Opinions, /wt/

Wait what’s this?

I’d say I’m updated on this, but I’ve never seen that. Source, kind user?

If you spend a bit more you can get an SKX with hand winding and hacking.

artificehoroworks.com/shop/seiko-skx009-hacking-handwind-pepsi-enhanced/

Do you guys mostly buy new or look for used watches? Watches seem like a good thing to buy used...