How Does a Torrent Program Kill a Wifi Connection?

>Be at major library that has hundreds of people at one time at it daily.
>Have torrented at it before; so have friends.
>Fire up torrent client for first time in weeks.
>Suddenly, wifi is kill for some reason.
>The library can't get it fixed for three days.
>Once it is back, use it to browse web for a couple hours, then fire up torrent client again.
>Wifi is now kill again, but a few of the torrents sporadically go from 0 kbps download speed to higher and back to 0 many times and then finish.
>I finally suspect that my torrent client might be causing the problem.
>Takes library 2 days to get wifi working again.
>Surf internet for hours just fine, consider opening torrent client again to see what happens.
>Do it, wifi is kill suddenly again.
>Hundreds of people again unable to access Wifi.

Why in the hell could this be happening? There are no restrictions or blocked sites/services on the Wifi, by the way. The only thing I can think of is that the Deluge I have hasn't been updated in 2+ years, but still, how does that work?

I think it might be an overload like connecting to too many people and the router kills itself

NAT crash

maybe stop torrenting there. kind of a bitch move.

But it's never happened before, even when multiple friends are torrenting. And the four or five things I torrented only had like 3 seeders each, if that's what you mean.

What's this?

torrents used to kill routers all the time, they probably have shitty 10 year old equipment

This desu. If you get booted from torrenting, it's the router rather than the connection most of the time. Even on DSL, with the right router you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - the few Ethernet connections that exist worked fine after the Wifi went out. But considering your theory, I and others have torrented from here tens of times before all day and not had a problem. Why would it all the sudden do this? And why did torrents kill routers? Curious.

It is often the result of seeding. Depending on configuration and type, it could rape your connection.

Like the other user said, it's likely old network equipment. My connection used to die too when I torrent as well. I had to change some settings in my torrent client. I had to limit the number of simultaneous connections.

Oh, I didn't seed at all, by the way. I know, diskish. I'm just trying to figure out the anatomy behind why this happens.

It's a relatively new library with 11 floors that cost almost $200 million to build, and they have modern equipment with everything. I, and friends, had previously torrented on it tens of times with many more connections and torrents downloading last time than these recent times. I wonder what changed. Maybe it's some kind of bug or something. I think it's kind of cool that, if I choose to, I could now piss off the moron citizens of a liberal city and the homeless drug addicts by denying them internet for days at a time by simply opening my torrent client. Maybe I'm an asshole.

You're a big guy.

>Oh, I didn't seed at all, by the way.

Yes you do, learn how torrents work

Well, perhaps while downloading it, but once it's finished and on "seeding" status, I delete it from the torrent program, like a dick.

4u

CIA?

The uni network hardware is bad or defective. Torrents open a lot of connections.

But why did it work BEFORE for myself and many others, while downloading many more/bigger torrents? Not doubting what you're saying, just wondering why it stopped working.

Broken ass router / firmware / settings.

>why did it work BEFORE for myself and many others
Something changed. Useless truism by itself, but 99% likely the issue.
What is that something? Could be any combination of:
- routers - wifi and onwards: configuration, software, hardware
- clients - you and others connecting to same wifi/subnet/facility: nr of connections, throughput, etc
- your shit, e.g. torrent client - configuration, updates

Change the number of connections.
Also likely worse when the library is busy. Possible you aren't the only fag torrenting.

limit the connections. Stop connecting to thousands of peers

What should be the maximum limit? You mean maximum number of people I'm downloading from or what exactly? What should the limit be set as? I was downloading about 4 torrents that only had 2-3 seeders each.

change # of connections to what? and of what?

kys

not OP, i'm experiencing the same problem but on a personal router

> these inane questions that demonstrate zero knowledge of the topic
God fucking damn OP. Why the fuck are on Sup Forums you retarded faggot?

he didnt claim to have knowledge of the topic, silly

I never said he did.

The router in the library doesn't have enough RAM to handle all the peers connecting to it, so it crashes. It is a major problem on cheap shit routers given by ISPs.

get a new router, your Actiontec chinkshit from Verizon (or whoever you have) doesn't have the RAM to handle torrenting. I bet it will crash trying to load a game server list as well, since that also causes problems.

it's a technology BBS not a fucking classroom you autistic moron

you bet i am lol

salty

they may have replaced equipment since you last used it or that particular torrent had more connections than the others you've downloaded.

either way, it's the library's problem.