/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Bvlgari-Chronograph-BB-42-SL-CH-/192395963243?hash=item2ccbb16b6b:g:1boAAOSwSutaDTWA&nma=true&si=9wRN39RxWc4AX8c5R4OHc%2FbJL6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/81a0x7/casio_gshock_gmwb_5000_d1_brings_full_metal_to/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for the most affordable and reliable column-wheel chronograph on the planet.

A used one went for nearly $3000, you should have taken dumbass, you could have gotten $5000 for it on ebay, I mean shit

ebay.com/itm/Bvlgari-Chronograph-BB-42-SL-CH-/192395963243?hash=item2ccbb16b6b:g:1boAAOSwSutaDTWA&nma=true&si=9wRN39RxWc4AX8c5R4OHc%2FbJL6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

>most reliable column-wheel chronograph on the planet
You're drunk again.

> a real one sold for $2700 so a fake one is worth $5000.

it was not fake

Looking to spend less than $500, and I really enjoy the the shape of the nautilus from patek. Any recommendations?

can someone give me the exact model name of this watch? i tried searching what was in the photo.

> wrong date placement
> inexplicable 24 hour subdial

You should have tried harder

about to pull the plug on the GW-M5610BC-1JF

hell yea combi bracelent

No no.....well, yes, but the qualifier was a fair one. I did say, '...the most affordable and reliable...' Affordable is the key word here...

And anyway, I don't get drunk that often.

It is a grail for me only because I tried on one once at an airport. The lugs and bracelet were sharp as hell, and very uncomfortable, and the watch is tall (the case is rather inelegant)....but I still to this day regret not buying one. Maybe one day I will. I just like the military look of it. It's so...distinct.

>1963ChronoAnon may be drunk, but he still knows how to pick'em. See pic...yet another grail I don't have yet.

*blocks your next purchase*

it a great look but at $220 im not sure about that

Picked up a Zodiac Astrographic with the 36,000bph SST movement. I believe this was based on the same base movement as the GP HF watches, and was also guaranteed to 60spm. Triple mystery dial design.

any digital watch that is not an als is for children and soldiers. Wearing one in public is like wearing a bullet proof vest in public. You look retarded and no one likes you.

>I don't get drunk that often

pussy

Well, in all honesty I've always seen it in the context of the time (like movies). Back when it first came out, solar powered watches were the next big revolution, because it meant no battery changes. In some ways, it's still a point of note for Citizen; their eco-drive is still considered to be the best of any company that uses that kind of energy source.

Then you begin to look at the details; the watch does a shitload of things. The 24 hour counter is adjustable (so, it's not tied into the mechanism, and you can change it for different time zones), I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that the hour hand is also quickset, so that you can change it instantaneously when you change time zones, and of course the slide rule is extremely useful.

All of that in a watch that is still legible and not overwhelmed, at 250$ (which was the original price, if I remember correctly) was worth it. Not a bargain...but not highway robbery either. And the design is definitely unique...I've NEVER seen another watch like this on the market...ever. The closest is the Breitling, but that's an entirely different beast.

I understand the reservations...I'm not trying to sell you the watch. As I said, the bracelet at the time was horribly uncomfortable for me...and I have no idea if they've fixed that. It was simply very sharp, and very metal. But the aesthetics are unique, and the look is 'ultimate tool watch' to my eyes.

>Used to pic related bracelet, which is the comfiest bracelet ever constructed...

Nice, take some pics when you get it m8. Maybe even make a minute sweep webm or something.

>and of course the slide rule is extremely useful.
really?

That was supposed to be a self-depreciating remark made with a hint of irony, friend. And yes, I do enjoy pussy. How'd ya guess?

Yes, if you know how to use them. Using a sliderule is something of a lost art, but it allows very quick calculations if you are practiced. Granted, the problem with slide rules on watches is that they're ludicrously small to read, so unless you have eyes of an eagle (which I do), it's more of a conversation piece than anything else.

Don't forget...slide rules got us to the moon and back. But like the abacus, and the mechanical watch, digital technology has simply made it obsolete.

>digital technology ha simply made it obsolete
Hmmmmmmmmmm

I sent an email to a Seiko boutique asking it I could have a catalogue of their current in stock models and it only had 5 Seiko 5s as the only automatic watches. That just seems wrong right?

The minutes are crosseyed. Would not wear...

Explain to someone who never used one. What can you even use all that busy shit for?

Slide rules are used mainly for multiplication and division, but their specialty lies in the convenience of calculating roots, logarithms, etc. which can be rather difficult to do by hand. In day to day life, you can calculate a % tip in a fraction of a second, and you can convert miles to kilometers in an instant, and there a plenty more things that you can do mathematically where you'd normally only guestimate.

But as I said, only if you either grew up with slide rules or practice with them will they provide 'instantaneous' benefits. Other than that, they're pretty to look at.

I think I'll look into that, sounds solid.
>calculate a % tip
Good I don't ever need to do that.
>only if you either grew up with slide rules or practice with them will they provide 'instantaneous' benefits
Well, of course you won't be proficient with something without practising first, I'm not expecting that.
>they're pretty to look at.
Not really.

They are miniature E6B slide rules used for logarithmic calculations.
Once you learn how to use them, they are very handy and an interesting old school skill to have.
Pilots still uses E6Bs all the time, which is why so many "flight" watches have them.

I can't imagine taking off my watch, turning a crown, and squinting at it to do a tip calculation in a restaurant.

Thanks man.... you explained it more succinctly than I could. I'm afraid user still thinks it's ugly....well, these things happen...

What are some practical watch complications? Most of the stuff manufacturers decide to include seems so pointless.

pic unrelated

Dive bezel
Date
Chronograph
Second time zone
Minute Repeater
Alarm

I won't buy a watch without a date complication. Day date preferable.

While I think that nighthawk is ugly, I can get behind a tool watch that is kinda ugly but practical. I need to find a cheap quartz with slide rule to learn to use them and see how I like it.

Baegelsport

Seiko makes a flighty watch

user had asked what 'can you use all that busy shit for'? Bear in mind that the slide rule is a very specific addition to a watch, something that is specific to a job (like a pilot/navigator) or an engineer perhaps. I thought it would be helpful to mention real-world applications.

Considering that you don't need a watch in the world today (since you can see the time on a wall clock in the restaurant or on your phone), I think the situation you describe (of 'squinting at it') is perhaps bordering on hyperbole...

There are other watches that have complex dials that don't have slide rules. This one, for instance.

>Second time zone
That I fully agree. Wished there were more options. Was considering a GMT orient, but I rarely get a chance to wear even semi-dressy watches, and haven't found others that I really like in the sub 1K range.

Date is so common I would barely think of it as a complication. I do indeed miss day-of-the-week on my current most worn watch, though.

Seiko made some pretty simple but good looking pilot watches not that long ago. Would get it myself but I am a wristlet.

That's not bad. I'm thinking some $50 quartz Casio though because I really only want to learn the slide rule.

I don't hate this, would spend 50 bucks on it.

You can also get a slide rule without a watch, btw.

I realize that but I want to try utilizing it in everyday life.

How do you guys feel about MVMT watches?

I have two on my desk. I use them to calculate what I charge my clients, so I fuzz the prices a bit depending on how I like them by tilting the rules.

is this one solar as well?
I quite like this, and it both a bit cheaper yet nicer imo than the nighthawk

Just get a more simple pilot-field style watch

There's solar versions, but the one is the pic is standard quartz

holy fuck bro what do your other watches look like

That doesn't even have a slide dial.
I'd like one I can keep on my wrist and bring with me easily.

Try 600 lmao

whats a good watch for backpacking in the wilderness

model name? thought it was one of these fitted onto a cheaper band but it appears thats an original chrome band in ur pic
pic related

Not gonna happen. Why would anyone spend that much on a kids watch?
But then again half of /wt/ will probably but it and they make a boatload of cash with this thing.

>kids watch
I see you're new here, have fun with your fake Rolex and $60 Seiko 5 though

welp that fuck bro that sucks. That orient is cool at least.

They just announced it
GMW-B 5000 D-1
And there will be a gold version for $700

You don't take it off. It only takes a glance and a twist as well. Honestly less obvious and less autistic than pulling out your phone.

This collection needs some trimming user.

Get a job

Buy a fake Nautilus

I normally wear the 3 middle ones, the g-shock sometimes if I go hiking and the Tissot when I go to out at night sometimes
most of them are very cheap and not really worth selling imo, might as well keep them in a drawer if I ever feel like wearing them

Le projection

Moonphase.
(And small seconds.)
It is truly the most useful of all complications. I dare say it is more important than the time itself.

Kekle. What's your business? Do you do it in front of them?

>ss
reminds me of the new Bambino, been looking to buy one

>solar starts to weaken after 5 years or less
>need to replace the battery eventually anyway
why not just get normal quartz that you replace after 10y or so anyway?

In what world does a standard quartz last longer than solar?

Solar just adds another element to possibly fail.

As opposed to a super complicated mechanical?
We can deal with hypotheticals all day, but show me a quality solar with a history of failure.

my casio has a 10y battery

And why wouldn't a solar last at least as long?

if its lasting just as long what's the point?

I'm gonna buy the silver one for six hundred bucks. Bear my witness fellas, will post

get the mass drop orient symphony 2

only 95 bucks right now

>at least as long
What the box says often is optimistic at best from real world use.
I'd love to see some long term testing comparing different moviements.

I can't buy online atm so its only if I see one in a local store

Being long term for me really comes down to serviceability and part availability.

I knew people on here would fall for it.

Do you think that setting up a production line for a limited run product is cheap? Or do you have insight into the economics of casting and machining a relatively small batch of steel cases (in Japan), as opposed to plastic mold injection on an industrial scale (in China)? Because I can assure you that one is vastly more expensive than the other.

Do you think that a Sinn 6000 and a Breitling Chronomat Evo should cost the same, because they use the same movement? Or that a gold Explorer and a stainless steel one should cost the same?

A 500$ price increase over what? The regular 5000 series costs ~$300 on Amazon.com, and it comes with a plastic strap. Get your numbers right, at the very least.

Small-scale production is costly, steel is considerably harder to work with than plastic and thus more costly, Japanese labor is more costly than Chinese labor, and this thing packs extra features and a metal bracelet.

Comments like yours are prime examples of the snobby ignorance in this thread: you don't even know the basic pricing model of the range of watches you're talking about, you have no idea about the quality and feature variations within that range, but you're talking about value. Because a G-Shock is a G-Shock, and an SKX007 is the same as an SLA017.

god speed user

Temptation is a very dangerous thing. Thanks to you guys, now I know what my next purchase will be...that is, if ever they are back in stock. That is all.

Whoa dude. Relax

Is this pasta?

>Japanese labor is more costly than Chinese labor
is this watch made in japan? or made in "japan"?
because japanese laws allow for the manufacture of goods in 3rd world countries where labor is astronomically cheaper than on the japanese archipelago to be labeled as "made in japan", providing certain requirements are met

They're shit quartz fashion watches.

To their credit, at least they're cheap shit quartz fashion watches.

yes
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/81a0x7/casio_gshock_gmwb_5000_d1_brings_full_metal_to/

Any watches with a programmable interval timer?

I just placed an order for an SKX007 as babby's first automatic

The rubber it comes with is probably terrible so what should i replace it? A strapcode bracelet or a chink bond wannabe NATO?

Help.

Should have got a Mako or Ray

I don't like the dial too much

Where to buy an F-91W in-store in the US?

Reminder to never use Renata in your watches. They're absolute fucking garbage, despite being allegedly silver-oxide they leak just as bad as chink alkaline batteries.

Use Sony, Varta, Energizer, Maxell, basically any of the proper big brands, just not Renata.

>Renata
Yeah no, that's my aunt's name.