PhD in CS?

After seeing how competitive the industry is i was wondering if it would be a good idea to pursue a PhD. I love learning, and even have some experience teaching CS. How much can I expect to get paid as a professor? Do you guys think it's worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304096/Graduate-physics-PhD-31-fell-death-block-flats-taking-job-centre-qualified-for.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just become a tranny and use your new gender change to get jobs.

Programming socks and whoremones give you 800+ to programming while a four year cs degree only gives you +100

If you ever heard the saying that teachers are underpaid and you still want to be a teacher then expect to be underpaid.

Only way to get special snowflake treatment is by taking the advice in the post above.

To be honest it's all about "who you know". I wish I realized this sooner.
Although not in CS as in "applied discrete math" I my PhD is about embedded systems.
Easy and high paying jobs go to "sons of" and other dudes who are in contact with the other dudes who make decisions and hire their friends' friends.
The awkward fucks like us (I'm projecting but whatever) who usually go through the "official" hiring process are competing with pajeets who don't know shit but hope to fake it till they make it while offering to work for less.
I'm using the three gold letters in my resume to go for those entry jobs and crush the bachelors and masters degrees like you would crush wild lvl.3 ratatas after beating the Pokémon league.

Isn't a PhD always an academic kind of thing? In that sense, you just do it because you love the subject, even if you never use it professionally.

Going for a PhD solely for the sake of your resume or solely to become a professor is one of the stupidest things you could possibly do.

CS profs do get paid pretty well if they do worthwhile research, but you'll probably get paid the same in industry if not more down the road with less pain and poverty involved along the way.

If you are asking this on Sup Forums, you are not ready.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304096/Graduate-physics-PhD-31-fell-death-block-flats-taking-job-centre-qualified-for.html

>CS
pseudoscaince

The industry is competitive?

The fuck are you talking about. I get spammed endlessly with job offers. Maybe you're doing it wrong.

if you are a competent programmer with decent projects on your github and the ability to pass a technical interview you are golden.
who are the people spreading the market is competitive/saturated meme? part of the beauty of software engineering is that it remains relevant with all the technology growth and is relevantly difficult to bullshit

>dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304096/Graduate-physics-PhD-31-fell-death-block-flats-taking-job-centre-qualified-for.html

Lol, he had too high expectations.

PhD in CS guy here.
If you love learning you'll probably love doing a PhD, it's literally 3 to 4 years of studying whatever you want whenever you want.
Course after the PhD is when your problems start; you either have to fight over incredibly competitive postdocs and university positions, or you go into industry in which case a PhD usually isn't actually required (not to say it won't give you a boost, but 4 years experience might be more useful).
If you live in Australia don't expect to make more than just enough to scrape by living a very meager life in your own tiny apartment (25K per year).
After you finish the PhD is when the gravy train starts, provided you can get work, but to get that you need to be horribly poor for a while.

One piece of very important advice I will give you is this: think long and hard about EXACTLY what you want to do in the future.
What you study in your PhD is vaguely what you will probably end up working on after your PhD, and it'll be very hard to change, for instance, from machine vision to network security.

absolutely not
>get the comfiest job you can, even take a pay cut if necessary, try not to work 8 hours
>build your side project and hope it gets big

all the stability with the possibility to scale

CS=some college level math + some pre college level engineer

Better get a proper math degree

In what way is CS pseudoscience? Please don't try to meme when you are this big a brainlet. An example of pseudoscience would be a fallacy ridden field such as psychology, not anything logically coherent like CS.

CS is not science, it college level educational product

CS is not science, it college level educational product

And yet we still get paid more than you Pure Math faggots and Engies.
Must be pretty salty...

In that regard it sounds like you are just hanging on the English name of calling it computer science. In other countries we use different names, here in Denmark it is called datalogy or study of data.
By this logic, you might as well call maths pseudoscience too. (I am NOT implying CS is a subset of maths, merely pointing out that you argue by a technicality in the name. In the US none of you have any respect for the engineering title either anyway.)

By respect of the engineer title, I mean it is not a protected title in the US.

SC popular because it easy to get
but it bullshit in current state
----------
SC it some kind of engineering

the problem is:
the most people genetically disabled in programing
SC it something stupid enough what everyone can get, but it not make you programmer

What the fuck are you trying to say, pajeet?

this old lady (2) born 2 programmers, he's daughters (1,3,4) posible can do the same.
she look at you like on shit.

based denmark poster

This, not to mention there are so many bad programmers that if you are worth your salt, you won't have trouble finding a job.

Go home currynigger, you're drunk.
Pajeets can't even use toilets, they sure as fuck can't write code like westerners

the basis of programing is some programing langiage reference
it about 30 pages only

but Pajeets know how to make programmers (by fucking pussy)
westerners just trying to lern genetically disabled people for money

Are you trying to say all indians are all genetically disabled and stupider than the stupidest whiteman?
That's bullshit, just 99.9%.