ReactOS Resurected

youtube.com/watch?v=Ne88Is2cymQ

watch this video then comment!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xbsTFBYhLBA
reactos.org/reactos-presented-president-putin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000#Server_family_features
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really do like the idea but I don't think it will succeed, sadly. I also wish I was either smart enough to help with development or rich enough to donate.

bazinga!

>watch this video
no
>then comment!
no

didn't he say he moved to Linux? Yet he uses windows 10 even though he's "worried about windows 7 losing support in 2020". The hell is he trying to say with this?

Maybe he's exploring what other alternatives there are for those who don't want to switch from Windows 7. Maybe he's just a confused old man.

Full version.

ReactOS might succeed for legacy applications,
like ancient industrial control systems that currently run Windows 2000 or XP

Hmm, I wounder... For it to be successful as a replacement for those systems wouldn't they need to be a little faster with updates? Then again, I don't think updates are that crucial for industrial control systems.

Until React and Windows are 1:1 identical I doubt anybody will be switching to React anytime soon, those control systems need to be 100% reliable to do what they need to do and React isn't stable or reliable in the slightest right now.

Hey thats pretty good.
They made huge progress.

in theory but I can't ever see it being adopted

also just imagine a little windows 10 start menu with advertising tiles on an embedded system running your production machinery, play candy crush while we injection mold some shit

Are you retarded?

>ReactOS
does it work on pentium m
does it need any drivers for anything
can it have firefox 58
can it play .mkv

Hopefully it will become a proper system.

Does ReactOS achieve better compatibility than Wine? Last I looked into it I read a lot of code is shared between both projects.

>clinging to a dying platform
Let Windows die

Letting Windows die isn't going to make all of the Windows-only software suddenly multiplat.

I looked at this almost 10 years ago, and they had sadly not caught up then, neither now. So whilst i admire their work, i would rather use a linux distro.

My main pc is windows, because of lazy compatibility reasons. but the five other machines i have, are all linux, and a few Raspberry Pis as well, becuase they're fun.

But i would not go to ReactOS, i would rather ditch my few games that wouldn't convert into Steam on linux and whatever crappy software i'm used to, which doesn't offer a linux version.

Only drawback is the microsoft office package. But since i don't bother with the new ones, i figure that the wineHQ implementations are getting better by the day for the 2010/2013 version, so i might actually go all the way soon.

Only thing missing is a Radeon card that performs well, then everything will come together.

Reactos has done insane amounts of work recently

Holy fuck the livecd version is so shit compared to the installation, I just tried out the actual full installation and it's amazing.

I definitely want to try and contribute something to the project, we need to kill microsoft.

you can play vidya youtube.com/watch?v=xbsTFBYhLBA

React in concept is amazing but it has a long way to go. It will be great once it can support 64 bit applications

I'll have to try installing it on my UMPC again

you just commented you dumbass

If you try using the application manager and you get an SSL error it's because that version is no longer correct so use a nightly 0.4.9 build instead

Posting from reactos, it's actually really usable and ironically a better user experience than linux.

Maybe we could have a regular thread about it and actually use it for realsies and help them make it better.

>Posting from reactos *IN A VM*, it's actually really usable and ironically a better user experience than linux.
BTFO

Oh sweetie, I'm not going to format my hard drive and install another operating system just to try it out. That's such a linux thing to do.

enjoy your outdated firefox with a non-functional menu

window buttons*
anyway, why doesn't it have directdraw support?
it's implemented in wine

I'm pretty sure they have a lot of stuff on their bucket list already. If there were more devs on Sup Forums maybe we could actually commit changes but I don't think that's the case. On the other hand, I guess it's better than nothing.

>If there were more devs on Sup Forums
I always wondered how many there were.

reactos.org/reactos-presented-president-putin
ReactOS is approved by the most powerful man in the eastern bloc

>2018
>not having several spare drives/computers to boot random OSes off

Noice hopefully ReactOS will one day be good enough to be made the official operating system of Russia, then we will be sorted

That's ReactOS's intended purpose.
The project goal is 1:1 parity with Windows Server 2000.

Anything past that is just a bonus, although they do get a lot of these bonuses because ReactOS and WINE collaborate quite a bit.

>play candy crush while we injection mold some shit
Bosses wouldn't like this and windows 10 would require purchasing new controllers

>Windows Server 2000
There was no server version of windows 2000

did you enable 2d acceleration in your VM?

Sorry, Server 2003.

ReactOS feels nice to use, and it's doing half-decent with program compatibility (still drastically worse than wine), but you still end up with total GUI lockups without any way to break out of them all the time.

honestly though, I wish they'd push forward more with driver support
the whole point of using ROS over Wine is that ROS is supposed to let you just use your Windows drivers

I think you need guest additions for that, and I'm not sure if ReactOS is quite up the the task of running it yet.

Oh wait there was
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000#Server_family_features
sorry

Although reactos is targeting windows server 2003

Why is a ghoul from Fallout 3 telling me about ReactOS. Creepy.

>linux disguised as an old windows
It's for people who want to be hated by everyone

You should read up about ReactOS. It does not use Linux kernel.