Light weight security focused linux distros?

I'm trying to decide between heads, tails and parabola OS. I think tails may be the best security wise, although not perfect. But then parabola might be better for everyday operations, since i'm used to arch based systems.

Tails isn't free, like freedom though, unlike heads and parabola.

Do you guys have any experience using either of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

sel4.systems/
sel4.systems/Info/Docs/GD-NICTA-whitepaper.pdf
genode.org/index
twitter.com/jedisct1/status/968205124693905408
exploit-db.com/platform/?p=bsd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OpenBSD

>security
>openBSD

Heads can be used to day to day work but maybe you want the OS installed, instead of parabola try Hyperbola, is free as in freedom.

>linux
>security
ayy lmao

>Two remote code execution exploits in 20 years or so

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Nobody bothers writing malware for the 3000 or so computers running unmodified BSD
>that must mean it's inherently secure

>source: my ass

Heads is the best because it's systemd free so it's audited. Arch is systemd so fuck that. In the end it doesn't matter because kali is Debian based so if you're doing anything youll probably going to need kali usb with nuke and luks

what about qubes?

Placebo shite

seL4 is the world's first operating-system kernel with an end-to-end proof of implementation correctness and security enforcement.
This project is a mathematically-verified bug-free microkernel system that supports x86 and ARM, and aims to be general-purpose.

sel4.systems/

Whitepaper:
sel4.systems/Info/Docs/GD-NICTA-whitepaper.pdf

Genode OS, an OS framework that supports seL4 and other kernels:
genode.org/index

seL4 is already being used and researched by the military for avionics and helmet displays.

hardened gentoo but it's dead lolol

type-1 hypervisors already isolate VMs from the host completely anyway, no?

What about tails on USB with a persistent partition to hold latest system updates and software?

>nobody bothers
So it is secure

So my system is secure until the first low-grade script kiddie decides it shouldn't be?

More eyes on the code = more vulnerabilities found

>placebo

woah cool

I think so too. Obviously not fully usable yet, but with Genode it could be.

Thanks my guy, can't believe I hadn't heard about it before.

Alpine... Dunno.

no problem senpai. I really hope Genode does well, as it looks like it could be a common set of components for various microkernels.

I vote heads

pretty much every distro except Alpine has glibc botnet inside. You can get 'reasonably secure' with hardened Alpine running from RAM, but shits not very usable. It's a tradeoff.

unitll that happen, it's secure. Also you just need to go to openbsd.org and read it yourself instead of making stupid claims

>go to openbsd.org
I found a weird file called "Photo.scr" there, is this normal?
twitter.com/jedisct1/status/968205124693905408

i think he's referring to the built in backdoor discovered in 2002 or something? dont exactly remember , but long time ago a pretty secure os imo.

my thoughts exactly

>IPsec backdoor meme
No proof was ever found for it, and the code was probably audited by many people willing to be the ones to find "the big government backdoor" - or did I miss something?

this just tells me 3 letter agencies are more likely to work an cracking it

It's also running on the Linux kernel, with all of the concerns that come with that.

Linux is not secure without Grsecurity patches.

I like how half of the top four are Google products, yet Google has the nerve to call everyone else out for security issues. Did you know Chrome OS has more vulns than anyone else? Hundreds of them are not officially documented and most of them remain unpatched. Not trying to throw Linux any shade, just pointing it out.

ChromeOS is Linux.

Yes, to an extent, it is. Apparently, they must be doing something quite differently though.

exploit-db.com/platform/?p=bsd
93 results

easy way to install that on ubuntu mate? and since it's not preinstalled how the fuck can you feel safe given the time it takes?