I'm leaving Gentoo. Should I install Arch or Void instead? These are my only options. Needless to say...

I'm leaving Gentoo. Should I install Arch or Void instead? These are my only options. Needless to say, if I install Arch I'll have it with OpenRC.

Why am I leaving Gentoo? Well, I started to work in a fast paced environment that will not have me maintaining such a time-draining system. I could use a binary distro now, but I still want my software minimalism.

Arch. Better software support.

yes this

Centos. As a server distro, it starts out minimal.
Just be aware that very few things will be bleeding edge. This is normal for server distros.

Void fosho. Their init system is wonderfull, xbps is blazing fast, and it's very very minimal. Arch is bloated.

> Centos
The most systemd distro. Not only that, but it features an enabled and enforced SELinux. I understand that it is heavily recommended due to strong Red Hat positions in US, however it would be better to choose Ubuntu for a workstation, in my opinion.

>Needless to say, if I install Arch I'll have it with OpenRC.
sure buddy, in your dreams. Just install void if you are concerned about the init system and dislike systemdick. Arch is what void will be in the next 5 years, hopefully void devs aren't as autistic and they'll stick to minimalism and simplicity combo without forcing systemd and other stupid stuff, bloating their os.

How significant is the difference in software support? I really don't want to go the systemd route. (Not OP)

Arch is always breaking in small ways that may not be immediately noticable. Memory leaks and such that don't happen with stable distros. And most of the stuff from the AUR will require more maintenance than Gentoo.

Debian testing with systemd replaced with sysvinit, is very easy to do

Debian

Alpine uses openrc

How is it time-draining? At most you check for new USE flags after an emerge --sync, but other than that? I don't see Arch or Void being any less time consuming, especially Arch with its breakage all the time.

It's not like you have to watch it compile stuff.

But installing shit is way more time-consuming. Especially on a laptop.

I don't like apt-get.

pretty significant desu
its Voids biggest drawback imo

Mh, do you know how broken arch openrc is by any chance?

>tfw choosing a linux distro

I don't. Kindly tell me about it.

I would like to know myself...
I just know ripping out systemd breaks a lot of stuff compatibility-wise

ITT: kiddos parrot memes.

you can't rip off systemd off arch my man. You'd have to modify thr source and recompile any package hard depending on it, not something you can maintain on your own. You can go the fork route with either parabola (not really a fork, but sort of) or artix but at that point you'd be better off with void imo.

That's what Arch OpenRC is and that's exactly why I want to know how broken it is.

>OpenRC
Why OpenRC over Runit? Why go through the effort of avoiding systemD at all?

Why not try Slackware ?

Can't really go wrong with arch, though pacman can have some difficulty dealing with dependencies the quality of AUR packages can be hit or miss.

I run Arch on my laptop and Gentoo on my desktop, haven't tried void yet so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you're working on a stone-age laptop, improve your stone-age skills, namely time management. "Golly gee this shitty meme program takes 2 hours to install on my ancient hardware, maybe I should have planned ahead and installed it overnight". If you have to get something obscene on short notice, there is also a massive chance you can simply grab the binary tarball from the provider, too.

Most programs don't even take more than a few minutes on anything reasonably modern, and if you have two brain cells to rub together you'll configure emerge and make to run in parallel while also not letting them start new jobs if your system load is too high to avoid tanking performance -- a difficult, daunting task consisting of changing one line in two files. If you've got more RAM than sense, you can toss a quick line in fstab and set /var/tmp/portage to tmpfs to improve the speed even more.

tl;dr git gut faggots

Why should I install gentoo on my laptop in the first place? I can see wanting to install it onto your desktop but just installing it on my laptop for a meme when a binary distro would work seems retarded.

There's literally nothing wrong with systemd.

>Not only that, but it features an enabled and enforced SELinux
That's a good thing

CloverOS

There is no reason to install it unless you want the power and flexibility it provides. That is what makes Gentoo Gentoo. If you want a "Just Werks" system for shitposting, do what you want. Just don't make stupid excuses for it.

>Why should I install gentoo on my laptop in the first place? I can see wanting to install it onto your desktop but just installing it on my laptop for a meme when a binary distro would work seems retarded.
That's your call. I don't have to use it.

But what's the difference? I don't get why you're bothered by stuff compiling in the background. But to each their own I guess.