Universal Serial Bus

>Universal Serial Bus
>newest iteration of the connector has 200 different versions, often not compatible with each other
Explain.

I should've said connector/cable/port

>supposed to be universal
>my shitty Acer laptop/tablet hybrid that has a "USB charging" sticker next to the USB C port only takes charging devices with the exact same specs as the native adapter because Acer wanted to save money

it's probably PD2.0 which is an actual standard you can buy third party chargers (xiaomeme makes one for example) and even power banks for

USB was a mistake.

I'm sure it's my fault but I'm still pissed of because expected it to be actually universal

>replacing those slow and depreciated ports was a mistake
Nani the fuck user

Replacing PS/2 was, but every single other one of those ports needed replacement.

It wasn't a mistake at all, we just need to stop making new fucking connectors for no reason at all. There should be regular USB and mini-USB (just pick literally any one of the tens in circulation right now), that should be it. Why we have USB a to z that all do the same thing is a mystery to me.

When are phones going to stop using micro USB and I mean all of them.

When EU stops demanding it.

>usb 3.0
>usb 3.1 gen 1
>usb 3.1 gen 2
>usb 3 type C
>usb 3 type B
>thunderbolt with type C connector

Bullshit licensing costs.

That's not even half of it.

When phone mfg stop being not-invented-here cunts and all agree to use a standardized port. Shit got so bad the EU ended up having to step in.

PS/2 ports had no problems at all, it's just that wireless devices started to appear and they mostly used USB's for adapters.
Serial and parallel ports were dogshit, it's just that fuckload of stuff used them and there was a lot of tech built around those(to this day all PLC's have serials although nobody uses it, for instance). If you programmed AVR's you've probably experienced it yourself(pic related is the simplest programmer for AVRs you could make, now there's only shitty ISP and slightly more expensive clones of STK programming bits, and very expensive professional stuff). Technological legacy, basically.
Game port/midi input was a thing of the past. In 1970's or 80's ADC's were expensive as fuck, so they've used various more nuanced ways of converting analog inputs into digital outputs via 555 timers, nowadays $0,05 micro has ADC so who cares.

Disagree, serial is really easy to utilize and has a lot more applications than USB.

>Replacing PS/2 was
No way, interrupt based I/O is outdated as fuck with modern CPUs.

It's still around because professionals don't want 15 additional milliseconds of wait time for their keyboard press to register to the CPU through the big fat bus. Fast typers like N-key rollover as well.

The nice thing about serial and parallel ports were that they were so low-tech, and could basically be used like GPIO pins.
Which made simple programmers like that possible.

But now you can get an USB serial adapter for 2$.
Which are even easier to use, since they do TTL/CMOS logic levels.

What's hard to understand? USB 3.1 Gen 1 (connects with full bandwidth to Phones that use USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C connectors. USB 3.0 is the same thing as far as bandwidth but lacks the 2A charging capabilities that USB 3.1 Gen 1 has. Type C is reversable magnetic, Type B is standard for printers/audio recievers, USB 3.1 Gen 2 is 10Gb/s full bandwidth, with 2A charging. Thunderbolt3 is USB 3.1 with even higher electrical capacity, and 40Gb/s Bandwidth for raid arrays, external GPU, and high-bandwidth, high-power throughputs.

The whole point of USB-C is that it'll eventually replace all connectors since it can do just about everything

W-what's that you said about the bus, sweetie?

Then why isn't the connector built like a fucking tank? Even USB-mini level of rigidity would be good enough.

it's really simple: USB-C is a connector, that's all.

because thin memes

Microusb breaks about every 8-10 days for me, and I've been using the same USB-C charger my phone came with for 2 1/2 years.

Except it is?

>I know about bitbanging so I'll make a post from Mount Stupid

I'm talking mini USB's. You know the slightly older ones that were dropped for no reason at all in favor of micro-USB. Also thin memes don't make sense since it was thinner than audio jack anyway and aside from few idiot cargo-cult designs, most devices retain it.
Not even close.

Not enough space for the multitude of different connections USB-C carries

search e-bay for a replacement part with capabilities you're looking for. i'm sure you'd find something.

>Thunderbolt3 is USB 3.1 with even higher electrical capacity, and 40Gb/s Bandwidth for raid arrays, external GPU, and high-bandwidth, high-power throughputs.
Thunderbolt is not USB 3.1, retard. It's a completely different protocol and the only thing they share is the connector.

yall bitch nigas

>me

Only special snowflake apple fags used this

>often not compatible with each other

But that's wrong

had a sony vaio laptop running xp and an external drive back in the day. blazing fast data-transfer my nigas.

>It's a completely different protocol and the only thing they share is the connector.

Thunderbolt 3 does everything USB-C does plus more.

Pajeet Serial Bus

Didn't I see you say that on Facebook?

You've been made

Lol.

And anyone into video or cared about transfer speeds on external drives.

USB-c is a mess. First off it doesn't have working power negotiation like USB2, it needs a resistor to not blow up.

Then, it's very unclear what a USB-c poet even can do. Here's som options:

May have usb 2.0
May have usb 3.0
May have usb 3.1
May have usb 3.1 gen2
May have power output (2.5-30w)
May have power input (2.5w-30)
May have analog audio out
May be a upstream port
May be a downstream port
May support displayport
May support mhl
May support hdmi
May support thunderbolt

It'd be cool to have a port that did everything, but this is a port that does some things but still looks the same.

>Disagree, serial is really easy to utilize and has a lot more applications than USB.

Which is why they're still used in some context, e.g. serial interfaces are common in electronics, but it doesn't mean we should have them on modern personal computers.

>No way, interrupt based I/O is outdated as fuck with modern CPUs.

Explain to me why. There is no reason to say interrupt driven I/O to be "outdated", unless your argument is "lol its old".

>serial is really easy to utilize
Hahaha, what? Are you living in some parallel universe where RS-232 wasn't a thing?

>Hahaha, what? Are you living in some parallel universe where RS-232 wasn't a thing?

RS-232 is extremely easy to send data over desu. The complexity of using it mostly comes due to shitty drivers and stuff.

All of these should have stuck around in addition to usb

Usb is the slow one because of latency. RS-232 is still so widely used it's ridiculous that its been removed from most desktops.

Correction:
>RS-232 is extremely easy to send garbage over
The protocol is very hands-off and each device is free to configure every little detail differently - including but not limited to:
>baud rate
>7- or 8-bitness
>parity type
>stop bit type
And that's not touching on the particularities of every single piece of hardware and cabling used with it.
It's the most inconsistent shit ever in wide use and thank god it's mostly dead.

There's a version 1 and 2 c type usb. Some c type can't even output display. Universal they said kek.

Not universal (because of usb-c)
Not serial (because it has multiple serial connections in parallel much like PCIe)
Not a Bus (because it is a fucking end to end Layer based Protocol that uses packets)

It's the Holy Roman Empire of technology.

USB type C is just a connector type you dumb fags.
This shit is like complaining that not all USB type A ports aren't the same...

But its specifically tied to usb 3.2

>it's the HRE of tech
lmfao

Its going to be the usb connector for fucking everything related to usb from now on.
get used to it cunt.

>It's the Holy Roman Empire of technology.