Here's something for you to think - imagine that you have to write a multimedia application that must run without any...

Here's something for you to think - imagine that you have to write a multimedia application that must run without any modifications on a computer 10 years from now. You basically send it into future and it has to work. How would you go about it? Libraries change, standards change, OS change, everything changes with time. How would you make your program future proof, requiring 0 maintenance effort?

Pic not really related.

Run it in a VM.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Include source code of all libraries and applicatons, so they could patch it for future bugs.

Write it in HTML

The danish national library is conducting such an experiment, they stuck a whole bunch of different mediums, with varying file formats and that sort of stuff, into a time capsule. I believe it is scheduled to be opened in to years time.

And professional engineering companies, maybe only western and Japanese, takes a complete image of the workstations hard drives after a big order is completed, so if something pops up in 5, 10 years time or more, you just restore the computer exactly as it was when you delivered the product. Not a single update or change, so you can start where you left, if anything needs to be done.

What, multimedia, you serious?

>Libraries change, standards change, OS change, everything changes with time.
That doesn't mean they'll magically wipe from the face of the earth any support for it.

a lot of programs I use are at least 10 years old.
They're going to open that up and find that everything still works.

Write it for Windows.

I'd just use ffmpeg. 18 years old and still modern! Besides computers have kinda stagnated since the late 80s, so i dont expect any major changes.

make it for gnome terminal

>10 years
Show me a single PC game from 2008 that isn't playable on the average PC today.

I remember when I had to scandisk like a poorfag

unironically this

>breaks compatibility with win32

> (OP)
>Write it for Windows.
This + include source code. Well written windows95 programs can still be compiled with the windows10 sdk, for x64

R&K examples can be compiled on current BSD/Linux, so your example is retarded in its special way.

.. and those are multimedia applications?
Reread OP

>a lot of programs I use are at least 10 years old.

At my job my latest task is modifying an old shitty program written in the obsolete language from the 1970s, IDL

OP, use C and some popular library like GTK or something. C will be around for fucking ever

>GTK
GTK4 is coming, and GNOME at this point really seems to love breaking compatibility with shit..

Already been done ;)

Should i compile XMMS for proof?

A lot of stuff still uses GTK2.

So basically write the firmware for a DVD player?

anything native could probably use the same code but would need a recompile

anything current in java will work in 10 years

But isn't it just a pure C library.
Just bundle the code.