/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>New to PC building? See here
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>i5 8400 - Great gaming and multithreaded use CPU
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230;
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/sbrdCb
pcpartpicker.com/list/TD6CJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=epVk4mI_GSw
streamable.com/131rm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i want to buy one of the new x470 motherboards because I really cheaped out on this shitty b350 when ryzen first came out, but I'm reading conflicting reports that I need to reinstall the OS if I change motherboards. I don't think I should need to if it's just a b350 to x470 upgrade right?

You don't. It's probably optimal to, but you don't have to. I kept the same Windows 10 installation through several motherboard changes, including going from a 2600K to Ryzen, and had zero issues. Windows 10 just runs part of its setup again when you boot for the first time, reconfiguring itself for the new hardware. There are sometimes some old drivers and such left behind, but you can just remove them (or leave them, it doesn't really matter). Never had any ill effects or performance problems from doing so.

There is a 780 TI 3gb and an RX 460 4gb version for sale locally at around the same price. The 780 TI is much better right?

Ok, thanks.

Yes. An overclocked 780 Ti sits between a 970 and 980.

I haven't even started putting together a list of parts and this shit is already stressing me out. This GPU market is giving me an ulcer

That's what I thought, thanks. So the only advantage to the 460 is power consumption and mining ability I guess?

Is this midrange build in the OP from this decent?
Assuming I swap out the motherboard for another brand.

Eurofag here, I just checked the prices on amazon and they have gone down a lot since I last checked a few weeks ago. Specifically the 1080 Ti, it has been reduced by a few hundred.

>>i5 8400 - Great gaming and multithreaded use CPU

What happened to the 1600?

Power consumption certainly. The 780 Ti is right up there with the 290X in that respect. No idea about a 780 Ti's mining capabilities tbqh.

The OP is always being hijacked by dumb shills.

>poozen

I'd go for this, get a case fan for the front
pcpartpicker.com/list/sbrdCb

>gigabyte mobo
>used hitachi meme drive

So I got my QVLed 2933MHz CL16 128GB kits (F4-2933C16Q2-128GFX) for Threadripper. They're Samsung B-dies and XMP works out of the box at advertised frequency under torture tests. However I was not able to tighten timing or overclock it further under default XMP voltage without Prime95 giving out errors in the first minute. It's intended for extended workstation workloads so I think I'll just leave it at that.

>tfw to intelligent 2 even look at the write build

>2933
>CL16

>b-die

Lmao

>gaymer brainlet
>evaluating a 128GB kit

Lmao

Thoughts on this build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/TD6CJ8

>tfw so desperate to upgrade I'm looking at the 2200G as a legit upgrade even though it's worse than my 380/4690k.

The fuck is wrong with me. Will GPU's prices be okay one day?

>AMD poozen

get MSI Optix G24C monitor, 144hz with a VA panel. don't expect to actually get 144 fps with that APU unless it's csgo/dota/lol/other trash esport game

I don't really get all the flak ryzen gets. I got a 1600 because I didn't want to shell out for a better cooler (I fucking hate the garbage intel coolers). I haven't even overclocked it and I haven't hit a major CPU bottleneck on gayming. I was pleasantly surprised it easily handles OW at over 144fps at all times at stock configuration. The extra threads are just a bonus.

I don't know, user. I'm starting to feel like postponing my build for a while/indefinitely. Just wait, see what the market does in 2018.

I'll be getting a dedicated graphics card as soon as the prices goes down a little bit. Why do you suggest that monitor over the one I picked?

Is the 1070Ti much worse than a 1080 at 1440p? I can find one 1070Ti at almost msrp while the only 1080 I can find right now is almost 200$ overpriced.

>ASUS Zenith Extreme
>1950x, on AIO TR360 Enermax
>32gb Corsair Vengenance 2666
>1080ti FE, EK-WB watercooled in a separate loop, with 2x 80mm rads, 80mm server fans, res and pump
>2x 960 Evo 250gb in RAID0 boot
>W10 LTSB
>1000w Corsair PSU

Recommend me a 4k monitor that doesn't suck

Lol
Both are Jewish dumb altright nazi faglord

What is wrong with Gigabyte
They make bulletproof motherboards that last for years no issue

Asus is better

>get MSI Optix G24C monitor, 144hz with a VA panel.
>VA panel
much better colours than that Acer, which has a TN panel.

in case of this b350 mobo it has shit vrms.

That doesn't sound like B-die, B-die is suppose to do 3200 MHz CL14 at stock.

Guys

I want to build a system with a 2200g processor, but which motherboard is compatible?
Even though the socket is the same, I heard all current motherboards need an update in order to support the new Ryzen s with integrated graphics, but how do you apply the update if you can't boot up the system?

Is Cosair ram good?

>Create CPUs with multiple cores and multiple threads
75% of programs and games don’t utilise
>Create amazing GPUs
Developers use as an excuse to be lazy/not optimise and then push the 4K meme too
>RAM efficiency, bandwidth and speed improves
Programs and OS are now just bloatmaxxing and mogging it all up

Embarrassing desu

Gigabyte's VRM for their B350 boards is fairly shit. Certainly the worst of the major manufacturers for that range. I do like their boards in general though. My old 790X Gigabyte board still works perfectly despite all the years of abuse and overvolting it's taken.

>ANUS
Good joke.

It's a 128GB Flare-X kit, specifically designed for Ryzen. That's why the timings are looser. You CAN get CL14 128GB kits, but you won't be running them at that speed on a Ryzen system. The IMC isn't capable of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=epVk4mI_GSw

no, get a g.skill/ maybe adata

Why is there virtually no performance difference in the 2200G and the 2400G?

Will it get fixed through updates?

I would also recommend getting a 500 GB SSD instead.

>Good joke.

Asus take AMD seriously.

>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

>Asus take AMD seriously.

Now I know you haven't been here during the Ryzen launch.

The 2400G has nearly twice the cpu throughput.

Ah ok, makes sense considering it's a whole 128 GBs.

I bought a 1700 and the crosshair hero on launch. Asus put out loads of beta BIOS that was contantly improving performance. The last few crosshair hero BIOS updates even have (buried in their settings) some custom tuned B-die ram presets made by The Stilt.

But in terms of gaming we’re looking at a 2fps increase and stutters up the ass

>consider m.2 form factor
What's the benefit of using m.2 form factor vs regular SSD?

You're completely ignoring the "STABLE" BIOSes that bricked their boards? The Crosshair Hero IIRC

>Posts a link to some fat neckbeard talking for ten minutes

>insulting greasy Steve

He tends to actually know what he is on about, unlike Jay.

>paying $250 for a mobo
lmao.
x370 taichi is all you will ever need.

Looking to build a PC for some VR. Should a 1060 be enough for it?

PCIex4 M.2 drives can reach 4000MB/s read while regular SSD through SATA III can only do 600MB/s

There is F4-2933C14Q2-128GFX which is CL14. It wasn't in stock so I went with the CL16 one. The CL14 one and its color subvariants are the absolute best 128GB kits for AMD right now.

Is there anyway to use the old AM3 Hyper 212 EVO on AM4 boards?

contact cooler master and get an AM4 mounting bracket

The taichi didn't support my cooler (and its an old cooler). Plus asus had done fine by me for AM3+ and I wanted to go all out with AM4. Only reason I didn't get an 1800x is because I wanted to overclock the 1700 and get enjoyment from that (ended up as a very average overclocker all told but it was fun tweaking it).

I need to learn more about ram if I am to push my system further these days.

is it even possible to make a decent build under $900 anymore?

>LGA1150 socket
>Any upgrade is 200-300 euros minimum
>New mobo + i3-8100 costs as much if not less
What do

Haven't built my own since the core2duo days (cow2beef.exe etc)

Is an i5 8400 with 8gb ram and a 1060 considered midrange?

No.

Minimum 1070. Some will argue 1060 is fine, but the default SuperSampling is garbage. If you want to do VR with higher SS, you'll want a better GPU. SS makes a huge difference in terms of immersion.

Wait for Ryzen+ next month and then join in laughing at Incels.

Wait for the 4k120Hz meme panels.

Cultist opinion has been noted

Calling anybody who recommends a Ryzen CPU to you a "cultist" reveals more about you than them.

Sure

Glad we agree.

Is there a good repository for Thaiphoon Burner details? The only one I found is down.

Are the pcbg saved builds in the OP up to date?

Would a X79 Xeon be the better solution if I want to game 60fps with a 1070 on a micro budget? Or should I just go with something AM4? I’m worried about upgrades say 2/3 years from now

They include the Ryzen APUs that were released a couple of weeks ago, so use your tiny, anime-addled brain to figure it out.

>AMD CPUs
>Up-to-date
Fuck no

Buying an ancient used motherboard that could go pop at any time seems like a bad idea if you're worried about the future, friend.

Yep.
At least the major parts.

I have an X58 board that's been running for nearly a decade now. You only have to worry about capacitors popping on low end boards from shady manufacturers.

Anything from a well known brands like ASUS, Asrock, or Gigabyte on an server platform is going to be good.

X79 is pretty outdated but the prices haven't dropped enough to justify it unless you have parts lying around. You're better off getting AM4 especially if you will upgrade in the future. Get a good X370 board now and you can upgrade to a new CPU as late as 2020 at least.

I looked into it a bit and considered X99 but used Broadwell-E is still pricey Ryzen has significantly better IPC which will only be more noticeable with later generations.

I have no plan of overclocking, is the i7 8400 my best bet for a gaming-only PC build? Budget is around $900

Frankly, any 8th gen i7 is good

you're welcome

streamable.com/131rm

>no plan of overclocking
More like "no brain for overclocking".
At least you'll get an 8000k that has some sort of physical security flaw for your gayms on the bright side :^)

All the motherboards need an update unless they have this sticker, you can get it done at any PC shop or microcenter

lies

8th gen i3's are quad core, which means they are the new i5.

for pure gaming, you still only need four cores. dont spend nearly 300 on an i7. (((unless you have a 240hz monitor)))

take the 150 you save from getting the i3 and put it towards your gpu.

If the motherfucker wants an overpowered e-peen machine, let him buy it

this is the biggest fucking meme ever, every bios will boot and work fine, the only thing an update does is take advantage of any additional instruction sets or security patches that are required

literally every fucking mobo made in the last 5 years will update right over ethernet from the bios screen you dont have to someone to do it for you

>only need 4 cores

Forza Horizon 3, AC Origins ect.. say hi

Okay, 1950x runs slightly better in NUMA. Neat.

I have no idea. That's my own stick

Can we make the world a better place instead of arguing AMD vs Intel?

to update from bios screen you would need a CPU that is supported by the bios so it can post

>Finally made a build after so long
>Decide to make the payment through Amazon Pay
>Everything went oka...
notification sound.wav
>1 new message
>It's from Amazon
>"We believe that an unauthorised party may have accessed your account"
>Order got cancelled; may have to do everything again from zero
It's like if Jesus is pulling me both middle fingers from the skies, holy fuck.

nigger i fucking did this with the haswell refresh on a stock h81

it booted, only thing a bios update did was just add additional compatability

it won't post with the new CPUs or else it wouldnt be an issue
currently AMD will even send you a cpu so people can update the bios
it isn't a refresh retard

Bastard children.

Looking forward to Ryzen 2000. I bet the RAM support and motherboards will be a lot better. Leaks are looking very good on clocks. Almost bought the ASUS Hero and an 1800x, but I decided waiting would be better. Come on 2800x!

so you're saying AMD are fucking cutting corners and have a shitty architecture?

I'm saying its ryzen APU not ryzen+ and requires a bios update

>AMD iGPUs
Jesus christ how horrible