mom

It's spelled colonel, dumb ass.

covfefe

Fearless Coyote

Ubando or something?

Zero Cool

ID LIKE TO INERJECT

Hurd

I asked an Apple store genius what kernel MacOS ran on. He opened the help page on a Mac and straight up told me the kernel was called High Sierra

Hurr Durr I'ma Sheep

>Hurr durr I'ma sheep
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_kernel_names

Ubuntu

Debian was the first kernel released, however nowadays most kernels run Ubuntu

vmlinuz

It depends on the distribution, my kernel is a fork called Arch Linux.

Linux-GNU

Ginux/LNU

bzImage

Congrats.

I'm really glad this didn't happen.

>What's the name of the kernel in Linux?
Colonel. I can name the Colonel. Colonel.

>double triples

The kernel is actually called Linux. But like every other thing that gets popular, the whole system for the end user got a short and practical nickname. It happens to everything if you wait long enough. People probably chose to say Linux because it's a cool name and easy to remember. Tux probably also played a part in it. If you hear about it for the first time it's easier to remember a pronounceable yet distinguished name which is attached to a cute penguin picture. I don't see how it could have gone any other way, even with hardcore interject shilling. It's just how brains work.

Checked

But the system already got a name since 1983, why rename it after a secondary contribution?

Linux didn't start because Torvalds thought "hey, I really want to make a good kernel for GNU". It was going to be its own thing. It's not a subproject of GNU.

It exactly happened that way. He said in the debate with tannebaum, if Hurd had been available, he had never started linux.

Linux is a kernel, a program in a system. Most commonly used in operating systems like Android and a GNU variant. Other GNU variants are for example GNU/Linux-libre or GNU/kFreeBSD.

>It exactly happened that way.
Not even close. It's true that he started because there was no system readily available for his needs, but it never was a subproject of GNU.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux#The_creation_of_Linux
>Hello everybody out there using minix -
>I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).
>I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu)
>I'm doing a (free) operating system
>won't be big and professional like gnu

A monolithic kernel IS an operating system, according to Wikipedia's helpful charts. Do you have concrete proof that counters this image totally?

Linux is a kernel. What you're referring to as linux is actually GNU/Linux.

Also because it was designed useing unix as a refference.
it's just GNU (which is awefull) not Gnux

no YOU"RE an operating system!!!!!!!