/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

previous thread →

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: Ubuntu-MacBook-Pro.jpg (1024x1081, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?secondlist=arch&secondversions=0&resource=compare-packages&firstlist=parabola
cio.com/article/3119876/linux/linus-torvalds-picks-dell-xps-13-as-his-next-laptop.html
slakfinder.org/slackpkg /
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is there a GNU/Linux distro for people who hate computers ?

Arch.

Hannah Montana Linux

That picture is nasty.

Linus uses a Mac

I might actually do it to my MacBook Air since I just got a new MBP

*used
xps 13 these days

Proof?

Installed ibus-mozc and I can now toggle between English and mozc after adding it in ibus-setup, however nothing changes when I'm typing in either the terminal or firefox. Any ideas? ibus engine says mozc-jp but nothing else is changed

Did you set the appropriate ibus environment variables?
Also, some setups require that ibus be started after X (not in .xinitrc).

I'm not sure how to configure them for my purpose, I'd like to have en_GB and ja_JP.
I'm starting ibus-daemon manually right now.

You need a *_IM_MODULE="ibus" for each gui kit you use. ArchWiki, and just about any doc for ibus explains it.
Some kits may also require an additional library, like ibus-qt.

New to linux and I'm trying to install Linux versions of my old programs and while they exist, they appear in Jar files. What do I do with Jar files?

This is what I've tested with xsessionrc and bashrc, though it doesn't help.

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus

Java -jar /path

There's also one for QT4.
Was ibus compiled with gtk support? It may require introspection as well.
And again, ibus-qt for qt applications.

Justin Bieber loonix

Even Linus woke up and realized macs are toddler toys for children.

Attached: 1496854149236.jpg (857x856, 179K)

Sup Forumsfreetards BTFO

MACTODDLERS

CONSTANTLY

CONTINUALLY

UNCEASINGLY

UNREPEALABLY

UNREMITTINGLY

PERPETUALLY

PERSISTENTLY

PERMANENTLY

INVARIABLY

INCESSANTLY

IRREVOCABLY

INTERMINABLY

INDELIBLY

INDEFINITELY

EVERLASTINGLY

ENDLESSLY

ETERNALLY

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT

UNTIL THE END OF TIME

i'm using xfce, is there any standard-ish "disable ui animations" system setting somewhere?

windows has one and chromium follows the setting for its ui and i'd like to have that in linux

i haven't read all of chromium's startup flags but i don't know of one to disable ui animations

Thanks, but I switched to fcitx and it works flawlessly.

who the fuck puts that many ()()()()()()( in such a small paragraph

A programmer.

>Buy new printer for my mom
>It's HP, heard they have good GNU/Linux support
>She uses Debian Stable with XFCE on her laptop, everything werks
>Turns out the version of hplip in the Stable repos doesn't have support for this printer (3.16), but the next one does (3.17). Current is 3.18.
>My first idea is "no problem. I don't see any backports from sid or testing for this and I don't feel like making one right now, so I'll just go to the hplip website and download the install script from them"
>Install script says Debian 9.4 isn't supported but it will try pulling the Debian 9.1 dependencies.
>o-okay
>Everything works up to the end, where it complains about not finding python-qt5-dbus and python-qt5
>I explicitly have them installed under aptitude but they are called slightly different in the repo
>Install script doesn't notice

I was going to upgrade her to Testing but then I noticed apt-listbugs complained a lot about a bunch of scary sounding bugs so I moved her to Sid instead which is what I use.

Man, so much for a printer. I'll admit I spaghetti'd hard, if I had had the time to just backport the one package and its dependencies there would've been no issue.

/blog

Attached: 1518297964995.jpg (750x750, 38K)

this

Attached: 7B3300E095B045358D9BFBD6BFD3AA48.jpg (383x400, 16K)

t. future Fedora user

So I understand that unity ubuntu is dead at this point, but when is the next version launching and how does it compare to budgie since they are both running the same framework-Gnome

>2014

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What's the best distro that comes with Openbox right out of the box?

fresh install of funtoo on my t400, still got mac osx on my airbook, gonna setup a really old laptop as a hardened funtoo server for fun

what should i do with my serve brodies

what the fuck happened to desktop threads???? they were the life blood of this place back when i was a regular

Attached: thinkpad.jpg (1280x800, 44K)

install any distro
install openbox with the package manager

open .xinitrc and add exec openbox and you should be good out of the box

Does all debian based distros support all packages from debian? I see two kind of debian based distros one with their own repo and one with same repo as debian but I am not fully sure if the repo is actually same as debian and if they would support packages in deb form, I am looking at crunchbang++ specifically

They were banned.

I want Arch on my old laptop. Should I go with Parabola or ArchLinux32?

I have a old laptop that I'm thinking of turning into a dedicated Linux box. Is Funtoo good? I'm a tinker so it seems like it would be fun to set up.

>ywn have a Linux using mom

Attached: 1509291793356.jpg (640x480, 67K)

nice hope they banned anime posters as well

funtoo is gentoo with a few different tools, and the install process is simplified because you can just use the pre-compiled kernel included in stage3, once base system is installed you can compile a kernel with the gentoo sources iwant f you and setup your useflags

get ready to wait 2 days to compile everything if your system is old as fuck... took me like 2 days to compile everything

the vast majority of the gentoo documentation is applicable to funtoo

>Complains about anime posters
>On an anime website

Attached: IMG_20180228_103022.jpg (401x357, 46K)

Best >Distro< that comes with >Openbox< ... you do know that a DE/WM is not tightly integrated into the system, right? You do know you can have any DE on any distro and customize it in any way you want...right?

Hi, I'm in a user-unfriendly pickle:

Every time I copy something, the transfer goes to cache and then flushes to the disk I'm copying to. I can see that by reading the Dirty and Writeback lines in my /proc/meminfo.

However, I want the transfer process (cp or mv) to end ONLY ONCE the flushing ends, so that I don't have to monitor a textfile for changes in text and can be certain that the transfer ended once the process dies.

How do, Sup Forums? How do I do that?

Attached: image.jpg (530x576, 121K)

glad to see ur still stupid and will desperately post ur anime avatar collection

do you have the screenshot of moot saying this website is for anime???

Crunchbang has the nicest looking pre-riced openbox IMO, but srsly, any of them.

There are two types of debian based distros:
1. gets software from debian, but has their own repos, repack software etc. like Ubuntu
2. uses the official debian repos in addition to their own repos like antiX

If your distro uses the standard debian repos then it's safe to install .deb packages made for plain debian.

If you insist Arch then
-Parabola if your old laptop doesn't need firmwares
-arch32 if it does

Le'ts forget freedom and parabola limitations for now. Compared to each other, which one has better repositories (i.e. more packets, quicker updates, etc.)?

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?secondlist=arch&secondversions=0&resource=compare-packages&firstlist=parabola

Assuming arch32 has the same versions of plain arch.

>Assuming arch32 has the same versions of plain arch.

I highly doubt it.

cio.com/article/3119876/linux/linus-torvalds-picks-dell-xps-13-as-his-next-laptop.html

Attached: 1499547050777.jpg (500x492, 76K)

why is linux multi-monitor support so shit? if I drag something to the other screen everything the framerate plummets to like 10fps

Test

Attached: 1500071967317.gif (337x362, 4K)

>go to emerge firefox
>have to install clang and rust
just fuck my shit up

> falling for the source based meme
This is the future you chose.

>using binary malware
nice try NSA

Anything important to know before I install gentoo on my thinkpad t520?

Attached: WIN_20180315_161157.jpg (2560x1920, 908K)

Why are there two /fglt/s?

because some user didn't like that the other op had a Sup Forums pic

Alter the install script to look for the right dependency names?

use the rescue disc you pleb

Why tho?

because wifi and built-in install docs

I've set up wifi with net-setup already and it just werks
And I'm using another pc for the wiki

but, user, that's, quite frankly, retarded

I think I'm gonna install it. I just need the system restore CD and need to follow the documentation?

>implying you audit the source code at all

>implying implications

the last one doesn't even have an open parens
the first one abruptly ends and the 2nd sentence begins with a contraction.
most of these should be commas

is this even journalism?

I am changing my keyboard layout, remapping caps lock to Ctrl and mapping the thinkpad volume keys to pulseaudio commands.
Currently I am doing this in openbox's autostart file.
Is this bad practice?

>page 7

GNU/Bump

Will mainstream distros such as Ubuntu / Manjaro / KDE Neon run good on the following hardware:
- msi B350 PC Mate
- Ryzen 1600
- M.2 SSD
- GTX 1050 TI

Are there any traps for hardware incompatibillity?
Thanks

Attached: 1423276171836.jpg (1252x1252, 224K)

There should be no problems after you install the proprietary nvidia drivers.

Got shilled into KDE, and loving it so far.

But does anyone have a fucking clue on how to disable anything grabbing my gpu and forcing it to use my igpu?
My passthrough vm, which worked fine on arch, isn't able to do shit and it seems that this is the cause.

Attached: LaughAnime.gif (160x198, 164K)

Gentoo.

Reminder that as a GNU/Linux user it is imperative that you do not procreate. Children do irreversible harm to this planet and we do not need smart people adding to the problem!

>using ubuntu live usb to install gentoo

Attached: 25057388b377.jpg (960x960, 51K)

8, look at it diagonally

Is it wrong that my gut tells me to end Richard Stallman's life for spreading propoganda like this? Like any contribution he's ever made to this planet was washed away in my mind after reading his write-up on not having children. My gut tells me he must cease to live.

>built operating system

Attached: 05b65-richard_stallman_by_anders_brenna_01.jpg (1600x1067, 162K)

>All you've managed to explain is that you don't like manjaro
No, that's all your retarded brain managed to understand.

>somehow got triggered with the word installation and because he's so stupid started to get fixated on it, not understanding the simple message the initial post conveyed
Another retard, I see.

>real advice
I gave you real advice. Start using "core" distributions and don't be pretentious. I've also spoonfed you about how to solve your tearing issue.

Not actually a bad way, you have a full GUI system while you install.
The only place where you can fuck up is the filesystem: ubuntus kernel has support for most optional features for FS' like ACLs. If you don't include this in your gentoo systems kernel or you don't tell mkfs to don't use these, you will not be able to boot.

Use an xorg configuration file for the keybroad layout. It's "cleaner" and gets applied before you start your Openbox session (for example in a display manager) and for all users. I don't know how you remap keys, but that can also be done with the Xorg configuration file. I don't know how you bind the keys to change your volume levels, but I'd do that in the Openbox configuration file, not the autostart file.

So I'm having a ton of fun with Ubuntu + i3 as babby's first GNU/Linux. I'm dual booting on my desktop but considering installing a distro alongisde Windows on my daily driver laptop. What are the advantages of moving to something like Arch? So far, Ubuntu has been pretty easy but I want to experience Arch as well.

I've been wondering... How does pacman fuck up someone's xorg.conf when updating it will keep the old file and make a .pacnew one with the new config?

Interesting, will make sure to look out for that when building the kernel.

just googled it and did the whole thing for fun
why the fuck do I always miss only ONE of them
it triggers the shit out of me

With Arch you get to make the system very lean and overall customize it more than on Ubuntu, but if you're enjoying Ubuntu I don't think there's a lot of reason to move other than as a learning experience. Installing and otherwise setting up the system from a fairly blank slate can be pretty educational on how Linux distros work.

you don't need to download the iso. you can choose to use http instead of the installation media and put in URI for the mirror (something like mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64, and iirc you have to put in the domain and path separately). this way, at most you have to download the 55 MB usb boot image.
the easiest way to set up multilib (or any package/package set) is using the slackpkg+ extension: slakfinder.org/slackpkg /

Try Slackware, it should keep the fun going for you for a while

don't use arch unless you enjoy applications being buggy until they get patched, packages are too unstable
sometimes if you're unlucky it could happen to more important packages but that's rare because they do have some stricter quality standards for shipping important packages
get manjaro i3 community edition instead, I promise you will love it

First time user and installed Solus and having problems with a odd quirk and not even sure where to begin looking for a solution.

When I boot Solus up it'll always freeze and lock up upon login, I can move the mouse around but nothing else will react at all, can't even so much as shutdown. Now the odd part is if I hit the reset button on the front Solus will proceed to boot up with no problems and work perfectly.

Thing is this happens 100% of the time, it always takes two boots in order to start up Solus and always requires a reset to the second boot. Now if it is happening every single time with the exact same motions that probably means there is a proper fix for this shit.

how do i get firefox to use dolphin as my filepicker?
what's the best way to create a thumbnail sheet? pic related

Attached: image.png (1024x84, 76K)

Check the forums and ask there. Solus has been my daily driver for 2 years and I've never had this problem.

Don't use Windows either, unless you like applications being buggy until they get patched.