What are Sup Forums's thoughts on online forums and how they're slowly being killed off by Discord?

Attached: 1200px-PhpBB_3.2_Index_page.png (1200x766, 197K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/amadeus
thenextweb.com/dd/2017/06/29/why-are-some-of-the-ugliest-sites-on-the-web-also-the-most-popular/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

these types of forums end up with alot of vulnerabilities and passwords/emails being hacked.

>Discord

FBI/CIA honeypot

why do people use discord so much?
irc has proven to be the best way to handle chatrooms and it has been in use for decades now
now this centralized server chatroom service comes in and gets all the nerds use their terrible service

Discord is fucking shit. They have an insane email filter that makes the FBI/CIA honeypot theory have merit. You pretty much have to use some fucking email service with phone support so they can dox you up ezpz.

>open up discord web
>it saves all your settings in a browser cookie
>so when you clear it you have to click all the bullshit notifications and disable all the sounds n shit & "NSFW" warnings on every single server
>uploading images/gifs/webms directly is slow as fuck
>even once the gifs/webms are uploaded they take forever to load
>easier to just upload to gfycat or imgur and post the url which embeds
>shitty friend search which doesnt even provide a list of names unless you know the #1111 digit number which literally nobody does so you're essentially fucked if you arent already in the server with the person you need to speak with
>keyboard navigation sucks ass
>page up/down goes slow as fuck
>home/end only works until the "you're viewing older posts jump to present" shows then it stops working at all
>half the time while scrolling up the "jump to present" never fucking shows up so u have to scroll back slow as fuck 5-10 messages at a time to the bottom
>it only keeps the last 20 or so messages cached to your ram so you have to fucking redownload it from teh server each time creating an annoying pause if you hold page up
>then once you go up to far it does the same shit for page down
>everytime you change IPs you have to refuckingverify your location
>the fucking browser search is overridden by their USELESS AND OVERCOMPLICATED AS FUCK SEARCH FEATURE
>staying logged in to cache the chat log is fucking meaningless cause even the browser's own "ctrl+F" can only search the 20 or so messages loaded at a time

I use Discord because they actually stand up to hate and boot Nazis and alt-right shitstains off of their service. It's a shame that more services don't do the same.

>set up forums
>risk sending users' information to Russian hackers

>set up Discord server
>risk sending users' information to the Chinese government

quite a dilemma

IRC does not save history, does not include a friends/contacts list, does not allow you to receive messages while offline, and is missing quite a few other features that are considered essential these days for any chat or messaging service.

>waah they have different opinions than mine and they must be silenced!

Hey rabbi, whatcha doin'?

yeah i would probably use irc if it had twitter integration and said funny things about fidget spinners and dota every time i joined a server

>why do people use discord so much?
Because it gave people something pretty and convenient free from the issues of skype and teamspeak which is what discord was primary targeted to users of those programs. Discord was never there to target IRC but I'm sure it did take people from IRC as its easier for most people who just want whip up a group chat for something.
I don't really know why people compare IRC to Discord anyway as they achieve separate goals.
IRC is for text chat
Discord had always been to replace skype ans teamspeak which have always primary been VoIP services

If you want to know how shit a service is make sure you look at the type of boring intellectually stunted status quo shit their key players post on social media. Case in point:

twitter.com/amadeus

They are the type of "I support free speech unless I disagree with what they are saying" types.

t. sour grapes

What do those things have to do with anything I just said?

Fuck Discord.

Got banned a couple days ago for no reason and lost everything.

>discord has voip
I never knew this. I always thought it was a chatroom

>nobody can "accidentally" stumble on to a discord server
>you cant even "accidentally" find individual user profiles

>H-HOW DARE THESE PPL USING AN ISOLATED SERVER AND PROFILES SPEAK ABOUT SOMETHING I DONT AGREE WITH!

>O-ONLY ISOLATED SERVERS AND PROFILES THAT THINK THE SAME WAY I DO SHOULD BE ALLOWED ON THIS SERVICE THAT I DONT PAY FOR !!!!

>G-GRRRRR

those kinds of forums are pretty fucking dead, and those that remain are full of the most insufferable people on the planet

it has voip but it fails the ICE check on my system

its either something in ddwrt's settings or my browser or windows settings

seeing how i use chrome in windows 10 im assuming its a ddwrt setting

or possibly ublock origin

I don't know how you didn't notice it has voice chat as there is a mic mute button and voice and video settings

Underage b&. Online forums aren't being killed off by Discord. They've already been "killed off" by social media and reddit for ages.

thenextweb.com/dd/2017/06/29/why-are-some-of-the-ugliest-sites-on-the-web-also-the-most-popular/

Now this is how you get (you)s

Fuck discord. It's for brain dead kids

This

forums were dead way before discord kiddo

Discord didn't do it, reddit did.

Attached: reddit-tan.png (300x475, 5K)

>the concept of internet forums should ban neonazis
go back to posting shitty bait on Sup Forums

IRC can do all of that shit if you use a bouncer.

>slowly
The forums I cared about died like almost a decade ago. We just moved to IRC.

It was around then that I started using Sup Forums too.

Use a what? Remember that if it's not a clear and easily-accessible feature in the interface, it may as well not exist, at least for an average user.

Well, IRC doesn't need to be for average users and it's certainly not dead

Discord is fucking awful and lame

>all the nerds use their terrible service
lolno, all the nerds are still on irc

you guys should shit post on my hidden forum with a broken theme that I made to counter act bots and have fun shit posting

reaplyDOTx10DOTmx/forum

INSTALL TAPATALK APP NOW

Attached: 1403556119974.jpg (502x494, 206K)

>Uses the thread subject matter to promote a false political opinion he holds saying people I don't like should be banned
>Doing it on a board that is aware of Sup Forums but doesn't discuss it too much

It's good bait however you over-seasoned it by pretending to be retarded by saying people you don't like should be silenced. Its too childish. 5/10

it’s for people too stupid to use irc

What about voice chat? Can you suggest something better? Discord is the new Skype and it's here to stay until something even better comes along.

This

mumble was always better then everything out there. I admit mumble has a bit of a weird UI but once you get used to it, its superior in every way.

Don't get me wrong, I like IRC, but if you start wondering why people use shit like Discord more, as you (or someone else, idk) did here , these are why.

>mumble
>better than anything
Just because it's FOSS doesn't mean you have to jump all over it and humiliate yourself by claiming that it's the best. And don't blame the UI. It's a buggy mess and lacks features that skype, discord, irc, and many others have and did have.

/thread

>lacks features

Like what?

Literally what.
Forums were already dead, and IRC (/ other chat programs) didn't kill them.

>use this esoteric feature
this is one of many reasons not a large proportion of people still use irc

it is pretty fucking moribund. all the channels i used to idle in are derelict, for me, IRC is now just me and my best friend chatting 1-on-1 because he doesn't like discord.

This. IRC is simple, but that simplicity is also a con. Sure you can rig up a server that keeps you connected and logs chat activity at all times, but that's beyond the abilities of people even in the days when IRC was popular. Discord is just an integrated text+voip service that works well enough for most people. Also unless you run your own IRC server your chats are almost certainly logged.

sscall

you n00b

>forums
Good riddance, most forums are under the control of hypocite and narcissist mods and admins. Plus the log in actually removes freedom and convenience of posting. The last time i've actually posted more than one sentence was selling some used stuff back in 2007.

Dude, forums have been essentially dead for a good while now.

I used to visit a lot of active Mac forums back in the day but they've either died off or been taken over by Apple II users.

>pretending you're criticizing a troll just so you can satisfy the itch to respond
Grow up.

That was an honest review.

>implying I have ever used that crap

The problem with there passing is alot of good information will go with it too.. How many times have you searched for a vague query and only found forum discussions which are related?

I find OPs image depressing looking tbqh but I will miss the old discussion forum as a meme in and of its self it had a unique culture to it on an individual forum level and a meta culture of the internet forum era which was kind of fun. Even shitposting forums where users would only concern themselves with low effort posts gave birth to reddit in that total post count and "rep" gave delusions of grandeur to forum junkies who all to eagerly became redditcucks and zuckbookers.

Attached: 0f5.jpg (877x544, 58K)

Eh, i tried to check out the TempleOS IRC and was immediately banned

good riddance honestly
>ask a question about wanting to set up in a specific way with specific tools
>user with 100,000 posts replies
>oh this should be helpful
>"why are you trying to do that anyways?"
>explain myself
>"lol sounds like a hassle"
>thread dies

Discord isn't killing off forums, it's killing off Teamspeak/Mumble. Reddit is killing off forums.

did discord really kill online forums? IRC used to be really popular 10 years ago but it didn't kill online forums. People used IRC for chatting and forums for proper discussion.

It's reddit, Sup Forums, fb and other big mega-forums that are killing traditional forums, not discord. Discord is supplementary.

Attached: indexlogo.gif (136x140, 9K)

I would rape Reddit-tan.

One of the main things that people complain about it is the memes and the gamer culture, some people are just unable ignored windowdressing, it somehow these are also the same people who demand everything the CLI
Or for any user that is anything but autisticly integrated into IRC and can't imagine a world without IRC
And right here's the reason why you don't have more people joining IRC, you get to have your fun little secret club were only you and your hard-core programmer friends will join she can discuss all your little hacker shit, while literally everyone else in the world will not use that crap because it is so fucking unintuitive that even when you have your handheld you never understand what the fuck is going on. I had to try and get some normal friends to use IRC and it is a fucking hellish and never to even try and get them to the point where there are even able to talk much less do anything fucking else
Find a normal person in your family, give them a challenge, tell them to join in IRC server and do it as fast as they can. Don't help them at all and see how many hours it takes for them to get into the correct server
Not to mention a fucking gatekeeping that happens with IRC where he say one thing wrong though service you get banned usually an auto ban we have to keep going from server to server to learn how to fucking use IRC and it punishes you every fucking time.
This is the bullshit that makes IRC undesirable for anybody but anyone who already know how to fucking use it and even then they don't want to fucking use it anymore because there's something simpler that does everything they want and more.
Considering that Skype banned me for no reason told me to make a new account because there's nothing that I did wrong that they want me off their platform for and I lost a good hundred friends I only talk to through Skype there's a reason why my friends I still had contact with moved discord from Skype.

The online forums was killed a long time ago by Reddit.
Discord had killed most of IRC community and chatroom.

Can always just download the separate launcher

And yet we're in a thread about how IRC is being overtaken by discord

There's a point where you just have to fucking give up, and that point came for me when no one I want to talk to is on IRC yet everyone I want to talk to is either on Skype email or discord. Not a single one of my friends uses IRC and a few that use to move the fuck off because of how much of a pain in the ass it was. Then you have the faith community that likes to not help at all and instead of actually helping people actively bans them for not knowing how to use the program right. The amount of faggots and IRC makes it unworkable anymore, it used to be the go to program when you had no other choice but motherfucker we have choices now

Let's even ignore that

What we used to do in a form this keep the posts a life, if there is something relevant to the topic and it was old you posted and that fucking thread and you didn't start another new one about the topic. I don't even know what it was but at some point you were no longer allowed to use old threads and you had to start using new ones otherwise a lot of for moderators would ban you.

Once that happened there is no reason to have forms anymore, sure if you just need to search for the information there was a reason I have but if you're not keeping a detailed repository of information then all the topics that are even mildly old are going to be wasted space as the people who are using the former only gonna ever make new threads.

So at that point why have a static form when you can have a chat room?

I noticed a lot with forms where users will ask questions or start topics that no one's going to go to or even look at yet everyone might have an interest in talking in there or know what the problem is, so instead of ignoring those why not make one room where everyone's they are and everyone can help because they're not isolating themselves from the question or the topic. If someone acts a complete faggot you can ban them from your server if you hate this kind of use you can make a topic where you go for questions or you can make an area for that topic.

On this and wonder when fourms died as forms as we used to know them and became what they are today.

What the fuck isn't

I use a Gmail, I had no issue getting on account
the fuck did you do make a burner email on a five-minute service?

>>open up discord web
>>it saves all your settings in a browser cookie
>>so when you clear it you have to click all the bullshit notifications and disable all the sounds n shit & "NSFW" warnings on every single server
Download the program
>>uploading images/gifs/webms directly is slow as fuck
>>even once the gifs/webms are uploaded they take forever to load
>>easier to just upload to gfycat or imgur and post the url which embeds
You limited to 8 MB unless you pay money
it took five seconds to upload an 8 MB file
it took two seconds to display it
>>shitty friend search which doesnt even provide a list of names unless you know the #1111 digit number which literally nobody does so you're essentially fucked if you arent already in the server with the person you need to speak with
Yes because I want to be spammed by bots
I also like having my username taken and can't use it that all
>>keyboard navigation sucks ass
Use a mouse
>>page up/down goes slow as fuck
Use search
>>home/end only works until the "you're viewing older posts jump to present" shows then it stops working at all
Use search
>>half the time while scrolling up the "jump to present" never fucking shows up so u have to scroll back slow as fuck 5-10 messages at a time to the bottom
Don't be retarded
>>it only keeps the last 20 or so messages cached to your ram so you have to fucking redownload it from teh server each time creating an annoying pause if you hold page up
It took 45 exchanges, not just messages, for me to notice it had below more

Keep up with the fucking conversation you don't have to do this

>>then once you go up to far it does the same shit for page down
>>everytime you change IPs you have to refuckingverify your location
Don't change your IP address
>>the fucking browser search is overridden by their USELESS AND OVERCOMPLICATED AS FUCK SEARCH FEATURE
I think you're actually fucking retarded
>>staying logged in to cache the chat log is fucking meaningless cause even the browser's own "ctrl+F" can only search the 20 or so messages loaded at a time
Yes you are completely retarded

Function over form every goddamn day of the week
as much as I hate Reddit it's fucking easy to go there and look at something and know what's going on.

Most of the time it's handled by wiki now rather than a form

Forms were ever mostly use for up to the minute kind of searches, if the thing I wanted was more than a few months old and any decent program would've either updated its instruction manual or made a wiki entry.

Like I said in a different post, once necroing a thread was something you get banned for most places is the moment that forms were able to be replaced with chat rooms, I'm not exactly sure when this change happened but right there is the reason.

And the reason that IRC didn't kill forms is because IRC is a motherfucker to using people only use the music because it absolutely had to.

why?