Name a better programming language

You just can't. The functional programming community alone is the best. Passionate, knowledgeable and full of energy. Also, modest. Even though they've been praising the superiority of Haskell for 20 years(and they're right), they are still extremely helpful with teaching noob stuff, even though they are busy with state-of-the-art stuff.

Attached: haskell-logo.png (397x131, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

haskellbook.com/authors.html
youtu.be/Bg9ccYzMbxc
docs.haskellstack.org/
github.com/trending/haskell
github.com/seL4/l4v
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4_microkernel_family
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Technically Idris is better, it is basically Haskell with a lot fixes that Haskell can't implement.

Future-proof code is written in C

lisp

Attached: thicc.png (580x773, 642K)

I get a feeling that at least 35% of people shilling Idris have never actually tried it. I know I haven't.

Rust is better

Maybe Ocaml? You can do both imperative and functional programming. Plus since it also has an ML style type system you can just implements the Haskell features you want.

Can confirm, I'm also an Idris shiller that has never used it.

linear types will save systems programming

>stack install idris
was that so hard?

Then at least you have the option of spending an afternoon going through the idris tutorial instead of shitposting on Sup Forums.

haskellbook.com/authors.html
This should tell you all you need to know about Haskell and its community.

Attached: julie.jpg (1920x2560, 590K)

Its one of the 3 languages that are actually good and I enjoy using. The others are C and Python.
I used to think Python was trash, but it really is the best language for it's domain. Sadly people use it for things it shouldn't be used for, though.

rust
kotlin

I've read that book, and you can definitely notice the quality drop off on the chapters (((she))) contributed to. Luckily, the book is 90% the chad dude's writing, and he's fairly reasonable:
youtu.be/Bg9ccYzMbxc

I went to a talk by Julie once, she is super nice and knows her shit.

Haskel is a great single purpose language. Almost as good as F#.

Most Haskellers agree that Idris is basically Haskell + a few fixes.

The only reason why someone would use Idris over Haskell is if your use case really really benefits from one of Idris improvements and you really don't mind having a smaller community for those Idris-specific things.

Idris is strict, which is fucking annoying. There is no reason it has to be strict.

agree with this

Haskell is like Esperanto, useless. People who praise it know shit about math, just like Apple fanboys know shit about hardware.

Know shit about math? What...

Is it worthless to learn functional programming if I can't calculus?

Functional programming is heavily based on category theory which is very abstract and easy to get familiar with.

>The functional programming community alone is the best. Passionate, knowledgeable and full of energy. Also, modest. Even though they've been praising the superiority of Haskell for 20 years(and they're right), they are still extremely helpful
Gotta be a bit more subtle, dude. Trolling ain't a art for no reason.

if you're taking about regular "calculus", then no, the 'math' functional languages use is completely unrelated to calculus, and simpler in a lot of ways.

if you're talking about "lambda calculus", then you don't have to know much about it either to realistically use a language, but that is what all of functional programming is based on, so it's worth it to learn the basics at least.

Oy vey goy just learn JS. Eheheh, buy my (((bootcamp courses))) to become a (((front-end developer)))

perfect for retards like me

Attached: luna_lang.jpg (200x200, 8K)

dude just learn calculus

What programs do you write with haskell

C++.

Java of course

this
/thread

Gallina. Nice thing is, Coq can automatically extract programs from proofs straight to Haskell, Scheme, or OCaml.
>b-but what do you use it for
coq-blog.clarus.me/pluto-a-first-concurrent-web-server-in-gallina.html
Also, unikernels.
Nice to know that I'm in the 65% who have used it. I actually use Idris a LOT, but it's still pretty bleeding-edge.

Attached: coq.png (1346x735, 110K)

A big chunk of Sup Forums isn't running a *nix, and idris is damn near impossible to get running with cygwin.

I'm a math major and I like Haskell [spoiler] and apple products.

stack runs on Windows, it isn't a linux package manager:
docs.haskellstack.org/

I literally have Idris installed and running smoothly on Windows right now using that, so there's no excuse.

you can always run a virtual machine

If that's so, name at least some of them

TCL

Burger, Haskell is as useful as gender studies major.

Hey look, it's a faggot
Facebook:
>At Facebook, we're using Haskell at scale to fight spam and other types of abuse. We've found it to be reliable and performant in practice. Using the Haxl framework, our engineers working on spam fighting can focus on functionality rather than on performance, while the system can exploit the available concurrency automatically.
also:
>Facebook uses some Haskell internally for tools. lex-pass is a tool for programmatically manipulating a PHP code base via Haskell.

AT&T:
>Haskell is being used in the Network Security division to automate processing of internet abuse complaints. Haskell has allowed us to easily meet very tight deadlines with reliable results.

Bank of America Merril Lynch:
>Haskell is being used for backend data transformation and loading.

Google:
>Haskell is used on a small number of internal projects in Google, for internal IT infrastructure support, and the open-source Ganeti project. Ganeti is a tool for managing clusters of virtual servers built on top of Xen and KVM.

Intel:
>Intel has developed a Haskell compiler as part of their research on multicore parallelism at scale.

Microsoft:
>Microsoft uses Haskell for its production serialization system, Bond. Bond is broadly used at Microsoft in high scale services. Microsoft Research has, separately, been a key sponsor of Haskell development since the late 1990s.

NYT:
>A team at the New York Times used Haskell's parallel array library to process images from 2013 New York Fashion Week. Haskell was chosen based on its fast numerical arrays packages, and ease of parallelization.

NVIDIA:
>At NVIDIA, we have a handful of in-house tools that are written in Haskell

HoTT > ZFC, not to start a type theory vs. category theory war, but saying that it's based on category theory is only partially accurate.

>hurr durr i don't know how to search "haskell github"
but here you go anyway. Open wide, here comes the airplane!
github.com/trending/haskell

What do you use them for? Are you a grad student or researcher?

Me, personally? For work - specification for safety-critical systems. The kind of shit where if the program isn't specified to do exactly what it's supposed to at all times, people can and will die. Not gonna say anything more than that, because I don't want to dox myself. For funsies: unikernels / systems development, crypto.

Listen nigger, i know about the FB spam fillter and their French faggotry with OCaml. Haskell is still useless for 99.9% of programmers. Its only good for monadsplaining.

Parallelism is the main reason for FP. and i dont see tools like Spark or Flink written in Haskell. It's mostly Scala and sometimes Clojure.

Oh, you know more about programming than the folks at FB, AT&T, BoA, Google, Intel, AND Microsoft? Lol we have a genius on our hands! Fuck off, faggot, just admit that you don't like Haskell because YOU can't wrap your head around it and YOU don't know how to use it. What the fuck do YOU do, retard?

name a serious project made in haskell that has changed the world in some way.

I can name 100's that are made in Java

lol, serious mission critical applications are maintained in the background, doing all the heavy lifting internally at organizations. Serious programmers and mathematicians aren't gonna waste their time making a ton of anime image boards and Twitter clones.

Give it up Rajesh.

Attached: file.jpg (394x373, 50K)

Screech all you want nignog, programmers should not waste time learning Haskell. 30 year old language with no traction.There are better and more performant FP languages.

lmao, haskell's biggest value proposition is that it filters out brainlets like you. So by all means, continue bring retarded, that leaves a higher quality candidate pool for me to choose from.

Attached: file.png (1230x287, 32K)

the opposite is the case. for example haskell is really nice for specifications.

>candidate pool for Haskell
>you as an employer

Your jokes keep getting better nog. Haskell is good for being jobless.

So is Coq, and good for staying NEET too.

Formal verification Se4L github.com/seL4/l4v
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4_microkernel_family
>shipped in billions of mobile devices

But Online Haskell community loves self-love meanwhile write monad tutorials.

All those meme languages like Rust, etc. are developed by trannies

What editor do you guys use for Haskell? I want to move up from gedit.

Honestly surprising how pure functions make writing larger piece of code much easier. I just started to get into Haskell with this new course I'm taking, and the latest project was a tokenizer+parser+elevator and it honestly surprised me how piecing everything together "just works" and there's no edge cases to worry about, and in general just writing the functions for the tasks is pretty simple.

leksah if you can get it to compile (when I can it's what I use)
Haskero if you're ok with vscode and use stack(I am and I use it)
heard emacs and spacemacs had good haskell support modules as well(I tried spacemacs+haskell layer and it was good but coulnd't really get used to it)

>Look here, you're wrong
>lol I know I'm wrong but my point still stands
???????????

Well, fuckin' great. Ded

ES6/ESNext.

The above, because pretty soon there'll be WebAssembly mass adoption, and after a few years C will get BTFO thanks to transpiling it to native machine code from its IL.

Critical aplications are written in Ada or SPARK. In C too with a fucking ton of static analysis.

t. I fucking work with them.

>lazy evaluation
it's shit

One gigabytes per second.

>eager evaluation
That's not Haskell-like at all. The main point of Haskell was being a lazy language (actually non-strict).

>implying that Haskell isn't the best imperative language
Also, you can't implement type classes in OCaml. And some keywords are reserved for useless OOP.

It's great. Also, it's not lazy, it's non-strict. First of all, you can very easily make functions strict in some arguments (you just add one character to the argument), much more easily than it is to use lazy evaluation in any eager language. Secondly, I find it much better to make everything non-strict by default and let the compiler run strictness analysis for me. Laziness makes language so much more expressive.
x = head [y | y

>modest
c'mon dude

Elixir

(OP)
>Haskell is superior, the best state of the art bla bla
>aslo we are modest

Attached: Haskell West.png (420x232, 189K)

my african american

Like what? Standard ML?

>Ada/SPARK/C
not all critical applications are in the military or robotics. In finance, ML languages are a lot more common than SPARK for example, though they do co-exist with Ada codebases occasionally. That's the case at my firm anyway, where most of our analysis code is in haskell (and planning to look into idris in the future), and code for more procedural things like executing orders and stuff is written in Ada. We'd never touch C for any of that stuff though, the trade offs just aren't worth it.

how can i learn this language? can someone point me to good resources. thank u anons

also interested, thank you

It looks like a cult like Perl.

What's been built in it? Xmonad? A bloatware tiling WM which is inferior to i3 in every way.

Let's look at other languages:

The big data stuff is in Scala.
The mindshare of ML research and data science is in Python.
WebDev is still in JS.
Trading systems are still in C++.
Applications programming for Windows is in C#.

Aside from a couple of meme startups and mega-companies that can afford to pay people to work on pet projects, Haskell is largely just a lot of hype about another academic language 'revolutionising' programming.

>(and planning to look into idris in the future)
You guys hiring?

RTFT you stupid cunt. Is this whole thread going to be brainlets going "Abloobloobloo nothing has ever been written in Haskell"? I'm sorry that type theory is scary and confusing to you.

>Aside from a couple of meme startups and mega-companies that can afford to pay people to work on pet projects, Haskell is largely just a lot of hype about another academic language 'revolutionising' programming.

Thanks for proving my point.

NO U
But seriously, thanks for proving mine. Don't worry, user, you'll be perfectly fine copypasting Java libraries with the other pajeets. Just don't expect to create anything very cool and innovative, since you're allergic to predicate calculus.

You're arguing in bad faith. No matter how many counterexamples you've been shown, you refuse to admit that you're wrong at that Haskell is, indeed, useful. So at this point, you're just (you) farming. Go ahead and deny this - I know you can't help it, and want to get the last word in. Just don't expect any more replies to your inane bullshit. I just don't get why some people are so proud of their own stupidity.

*and that

>predicate calculus
>i'm still at college
Guessed as much.

>panjeets
If something worthwhile was built in Haskell, you'd see all of the same opportunists who jumped on Java and C++ go there. Then you'd be complaining about how these people are ruining Haskell or how Haskell can never be written correctly because the majority of people don't get it.

>very cool and innovative
Back to my initial post, what has been created in Haskell that spawned a new industry or had any real world value? I'm still waiting.

Don't get me wrong, I think Haskell is a cool language and the syntax looks like some new era shit but the fact is that it's a niche language like Erlang or OCaml and it will never be more than that.

I think it's great to dabble with if you have a pet project but it's not something you'll be able to build a career on unless you are some genius, in which case you could use just about anything and be able to be employed.

>I just don't get why some people are so proud of their own stupidity.
what you're witnessing is literally Dunning-Kruger in action. When you view yourself as being right about everything, anyone disagreeing with you will look to you like an idiot, which in turn will massage your ego. They're not just proud of their stupidity, they straight up get high off it. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.

It's sad, but hey, someone has to be on the other side of the bell curve.

There is literally a list of resources on the official website.

You are a fan of Haskell and you believe it's the future of programming, I disagree and the examples you have shown me don't prove me otherwise.

If you really believe Haskell is all that, instead of posting here expecting that people will join your cult by telling them how incredible Haskell is, make something. Go and build a Spark or a Hadoop, create some awesome web framework that will get rid of JS, create something that compiles to machine code better than C++ and so on.

People aren't stupid because they disagree with you for good reason. I'm not surprised that Haskell attracts complete spergs who know nothing about communication, maybe if that's added to the monad system you'd figure that out.

>make something cool
>suggests meme web frameworks and databases
I hope you realize that all of your wise suggestions have already been implemented in haskell for ages, and often have even more interesting features on top, but of course, you'd have to bother actually learning haskell to even realize that in the first place. Non Haskell people won't adopt those tools regardless of their merits, because of the "haskell is hard/useless" meme, and because what ultimately persuades people in the end is literally pure marketing. This idea that developers are objective and meritocratic is a myth, they're just as easily distracted by shiny objects over useful tools as everyone else. Haskell people use the available tools just fine and are quite productive in them already. If you're mad that you haven't had a haskell sales rep give you a whole dog and pony show sales pitch to convince you that it has such tools, well that's on you. If you're a person that cares about the details of the solutions to certain problems, you'll bother to do the research and look into the actual alternatives out there. But seeing as how you're literally making a "muh mindshare" argument, it's safe to say you're not one of those people.

Attached: file.png (635x482, 357K)

>tfw just got a job working with Coq
dependent types and proofs are the future

Scala > Haskell

Autistic academics shilling for memory hog meme language. Hype theory is simple

I think it's good that Haskell is niche. I think it's currently difficult to make actual (useful) programs in Haskell. Not unreasonably difficult, but you need some experience. I tried doing monad transformers and they just seem difficult and they are necessary for any bigger program. However, Haskell still has space to grow and being niche allows it to grow further. If it was widespread then it would have to maintain backward compatibility.

Haskell might not be the be all end all programming language, but it's ideas inspired many ohter languages.

For example Spark is made on Haskell, and all the Functional Programming of Scala was basically lifted from Haskell.

For JS frameworks you have React, The React community adopted a state manager inspired by the stores called Redux. The first implementation of such thing was made in Haskell in the 90s.

Haskell is basically like programming 10 years into the future, today Haskell programmers use topoi, and I can guarantee you at least 90% of all the networking code/eventful code will be made with ideas devired from topoi.

That's a decent book though, no shill.

First, paragraphs.

Second, in other words, you have to go out of your way to do something in Haskell when the mindshare is already in something else and it is done simpler and better somewhere else.

Wow. You have convinced me, I'm going to start doing everything in Haskell. What's my reward? That I can stroke my e-penis here about how my chosen language is pure functional?

>For example Spark is made on Haskell
Wow. Lying to protect your language, Haskell really is a cult now.

>Haskell is basically like programming 10 years into the future
Confirmation Bias. You'll look to find something in anything that you can attribute to Haskell.

Guys, seriously. Haskell is not a religion, it's a programming language. There are just better languages out there for different tasks, as soon as you accept it you can have your free time back and be friends with everyone at work again.

First Haskell is really simply, is basically a simple typed lambda calculus with type constructors to allow for monads and functors. Haskell is not really "opinated", the only Haskell specific ideas are syntax based, the rest is a very natural construct. There is not a "Haskell way", and that's a good thing.

The more I learn about Haskell and Functional Programming, the more I'm convinced this is how we should all program, in a pure functional way.

user I know it sounds like a cult, but it's true. YOU GOTTA BELIEVE. IMPERATIVE/PROCEDURE PROGRAMMING ARE DUMB. GO IS A JOKE. DON'T BELIEVE THE LIES. LEARN HASKELL.

what are linear types?

>muh mindshare argument... again
>Wow. You have convinced me, I'm literally a brainlet just like you said I was. What's my reward?
your reward is proving my point for me, retard

Attached: serveimage (65).jpg (798x770, 195K)

Do any of the Haskellfags here have solid empirical evidence that making state manipulation very difficult has advantages that compensate for every disadvantage it creates?

>solid empirical evidence
please do elaborate for us what kind of evidence you would like ahead of time, because every single time this is mentioned, it's nothing but bait and results in goal posts moving faster than light. There are lots of ways to test these claims, but most of the people asking for evidence are never interested in whether the claims are actually true or not, and only interested in "looking smart" by "debunking" FP or some inane bullshit like that.

>inb4 lmao I guess that answer means Haskell is useless then

>please do elaborate for us what kind of evidence you would like ahead of time

Gladly: actual behavioral research and statistics rather than babbling about Zen Buddhism and other things Lisp and Haskell weenies love doing