Guide update

Being completely tied up with some other stuff (hiring a webdev, which I failed to do), I have been late in adding the new AMD APUs.

What do you think of this?

Yours comments, suggestions, and criticisms are welcome.

Attached: Untitled.png (3524x2142, 656K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/EVGA-Bronze-Warranty-Supply-100-BT-0450-K1/dp/B01N9X3F8F/
youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/84ma77/amd_discounts_ryzen_and_threadripper_this_month/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like the new guide, it's very detailed. You must have some big ass autism to put this together.

Keep up the great work. I hope you make enough money from the affiliate links to make it worth your while to develop.

>You must have some big ass autism to put this together.
8th year running, updating every month. Or every other month when I cannot do it monthly.

Thank you.

Feedback please!

There is still a place for the 1700 right now

2200 vs 2400 is complicated stuff. I wonder if people need 8 threads in the minimum territory. 70$ is a lot for poorfags.

Of course, for productivity. But vs the 8600K for gaming?

You get an iGPU with roughly $100 worth of performance. AMD could have done the decent thing and priced it at ~$130-$150, but we are all learning that there is a "dominant player" and an "underdog". There is no "good guy" vs "bad".

I really don't agree with the price bump to the lower tier stuff. Maybe put Ryzen 2400G there too?

In what tier?

What would it take to make a list that focused on Linux users?
I mean some graphics drivers doesn't work as well on Linux and in the top end, you would want to be able to pass through to a VM.

>What would it take to make a list that focused on Linux users?
You would need to find a Linux user who is more autistic than I am.

Good luck.

Modest to good

Then again I don't agree with the price bump on the higher tiers either.

But those tiers already have a discrete graphics card.

I can find the information I need, but it would be nice to be lazy.
Your list is really good, have been using your guide since it was a sticky.

Thank you. Maybe someday when I have more free time I can redo the list, but with focus on productivity. For now, it is all that I can handle to keep it up for gaming.

My argument for the 1700 ultimately boils down to AMD's pledge to support AM4 until DDR5. If the guide is solely for gaming then none of the CPU above the 8700k should be on there anyways.

>hiring a webdev, which I failed to do
Just incorporate a company in your favorite tax haven and hire a web dev through them instead of going through your country's shitty laws.

I remember when this was still posted as a relatively small image here. Thanks for all the work.
Are you able to make a living off of it and is it your sole income?

So? It's replacing 1200 and 1300 anyways. Doesn't matter if it has parts that aren't going to see use as long as it is in the same price range with similar or better performance.

kill yourself

A classic

>AMD's pledge to support AM4 until DDR5
How does this factor into purchasing decisions? AMD is a lot better than Intel when it comes to keeping socket-compatibility from generation to generation, but when buying a new system, you tend to buy both the CPU and mobo together.

People typically buy a system once every 5-6 years. Unless you are frying your mobo every year, future-proofing is not a major issue to most people.

And become the scum that I have always despised? It would be legal, but it would not be be good.

You are welcome. It would not be possible without Sup Forums's help in threads like these. The extra $$$ helps, especially since I live in a third world country where purchasing power is quadrupled when compared to the USA.

These 2xxxG CPUs only support a single GPU at x8. If you are buying a CPU and not using the iGPU, why not buy a slightly cheaper CPU with better support? The APUs' major selling point is the excellent iGPU. Once you remove that, they become a bit questionable, especially the $170 option.

>only support a single GPU at x8
Oh, ok then.

Leaving work now and heading home. Will check this thread once I am online.

More feedback and criticism would be welcome.

People tend to buy the CPU and MB together now because for the past few years Intel eliminated only upgrading the CPU as an option by changing the socket every generation. I would also argue that people who builds their own PC wouldn't be "most people", and enthusiasts with disposable income, at least the ones I know, would jump at the chance to sell their old CPU on eBay and buy the new generation with even a 5 percent improvement, since that would be much cheaper than building another entire system. Now, normally I would be hesitant about future proofing being important in the purchase decision, but Zen 2 is poised to become possibly the largest generational improvement if the decade because of the switch to 7nm means it would be the first time Intel loses the foundry advantage, so for this particular time in PC building I think having an upgradable socket is a big plus to AMD.

The R3 1200 and R3 1400 are not out of the game yet, Falcon.
The prices for those got a 20€ cut from 2 out of 3 distributers in the Baltics, making them still viable against the new APU's. Especially if paired with a dGPU. The cut is B2B only atm and will trickle down to the end-user in the coming week(s).

>Zen 2 is poised to become possibly the largest generational improvement of the decade
Is it? I hope that you are right. And if you are, there will be more AMD CPU recommendations.

But until that happens, I cannot recommend CPUs like the 1700 because "we hope that Zen2 will be great and you can then sell your 1700 and buy Zen2." That would be very irresponsible of me.

I removed them from the guide, but I saved the links/descriptions/benchmarks/etc. If the price cuts trickle down and make them a logical option again, I can easily put them back.

What do you think of the i3-8100? It's near the i3-7100 price range and offers better performance.

Is it even possible to sit at 4GB RAM with the new APUs? Just wondering.

Noob here. Can I just pick a row of the table and build a pc w/ those components?

What I meant with this is you will struggle a lot with only 4 GB of RAM. 2x4GB sounds like the better choice because not having a graphics card requires more RAM to be usable, and dual channel helps integrated graphics too.
Also some PSUs look a bit overkill even when considering future upgrades.

The changes seem acceptable, next change should be weeks a month after Zen 2 to confirm how it holds.

Also falcon, why not the EVGA 450 BT for PSUs in the low end? It goes for $20-30 and is a superflower rebrand.

Yes, 2x2GB RAM sticks.

Yes. It's designed that way.

why not replace the 1xxx series with 2xxx(G) series completely?

Thank you. I will recheck this, as I had seen a couple of articles about Ryzen APUs and RAM, but did not read. I will get on this ASAP.

>EVGA 450 BT
Will look at this. If it is for $20-$30, then it will be awesome.

I was waiting for the i3-8100 to be available for purchase, because it was excellent at launch. Unfortunately, with the availability of the 2200G/2400G, it is no longer a good purchase. If you already have a good graphics card, then it is fine.

2xxxG CPUs are aimed at those who won't buy a discrete card. Only support a single x8 PCIe slot.

why aren't the new ryzen there?

>EVGA 450 BT
amazon.com/EVGA-Bronze-Warranty-Supply-100-BT-0450-K1/dp/B01N9X3F8F/
So it is $22, it is a Super Flower unit, and customers are very happy with it. But it has no professional reviews. I like Super Flower a LOT, but I have never recommended a product out of personal preference, and I am not going to start today.

How do I proceed? This has never happened before.

enlightening

Add Titan V

pls hire me senpai

It is not a logical purchase.

Neither is 7980XE

You prpbably should add RAM frequencies for any Raven Ridge prpcessors since it matters most for people who has tight budget to play AAA games

Do you also update the list for other countries?

Because nobody should recommend to buy a Vega at this price, and there are other things wrong.

Attached: logicinc.jpg (263x127, 9K)

>580
>$340

Attached: 0053 - 1qfwZyT.jpg (709x765, 67K)

>1070 ti
>$450
All the higher end graphics card prices are inflated right now

>Skylake-x
shit guide

Lets wait for reviews? While it being a superflower rebrand makes it really good it looks shady so lets not risk it.
Its cheaper than the 430W for a reason, but what is that reason?

Is it worth it to just buy superflower instead of the rebrands if they're of same price?

>Lets wait for reviews?
From my observation, big sites only review big items. This is a $20 PSU. It is likely never going to get a review.

I mean, I myself am happy to buy it and send it to a reviewer, just to get the review. But they will say no.

Yeah, but how easily can you find any for sale outside China?

I update the USA, and the updates slowly roll out to all other countries.

This is the third cryptoinflation. The previous two blew over, and this too shall pass. We will see 1060's for $200 and 1070's for $350, and we will see them this year, God willing.

It is midnight here, so I am off to bed, and will check this thread for more feedback in the morning.

Will look at RAM for the Ryzen APUs. Many thanks to all those who helped with suggestions and criticisms.

Choosing the R5 1500X is stupid because it's so close in price to the 2400G and the benefits of having backup graphics outweigh the $10 price difference. Choosing the R5 1400 is questionable because it's not great at gaming relative to the R3 2200G or the R5 1600. Ryzen's SMT isn't utilized by game engines as well as Intel's hyperthreading. Anyway the 2200G won't bottleneck weak graphics cards like the 1050 or 1050Ti, so spending an extra $50 to pair them with a 4c/8t R5 is dumb

Any build with a 2200G or 2400G needs a B350 mobo so that the user can OC the iGP for significant benefit and for upgrade purposes. Also, 4GB RAM system RAM with an APU? Wtf are you thinking?

i3 8350K is a very poor value compared to the i3 8100 or the i5 8400

Etc, needs work

>From my observation, big sites only review big items.
Not even this guy?
youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g

Well, it should work but it's not a good idea. Currently running on 4 GB of ram with a graphics card and it's more than enough for most things but I remember not being able to play certain games because I was running out of ram. Maybe doesn't happen on windows for those games, don't know. Getting a graphics card fixed it.
I'd say getting 8 GB of ram is a minimum for gaming if you're using integrated graphics.

here's to hoping for the 20 series and the collapse of altcoins by august

on the RAM bit.. have you seen prices...

For someone new to HW, seeing your chart is going to be misleading. You need to explain to people when they certain components matter.

e.g. 144hz --> 8700k
60hz ---> 2700x

It's also unclear if this is for just gaming or overall.

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/84ma77/amd_discounts_ryzen_and_threadripper_this_month/
Discounts