QUTEBROWSER JUST GOT CARET MODE!!!

>what is qutebrowser?
qutebrowser is a free (libre) web-browser based on QtWebEngine (optionally QtWebKit), with a simple interface, vim keybindings and a powerful command line.

>is it superior to [insert your favorite browser]?
Yes.

>why is caret mode such a big deal?
Because you can now completely unplug your mouse and spill hot oil over your touchpad without worrying that you'll ever need it again.

all hail florian

Attached: qutebrowser.png (576x576, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/scripts/open_url_in_instance.sh
shaik.link/qutebrowser-caret-mode.html
github.com/ccd0/Sup
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/faq.asciidoc
github.com/nEXT-Browser/nEXT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also, it got per-domain settings (like allowing JavaScript)

My only problem with qutebrowser is that it takes too long on my machine to open a new window. Opening a new tab is fast, but opening a new window has a noticeable amount of lag. Since I like letting my wm manage my tabs, this is a problem.

Got a video of caret mode?

>Tfw Oneechan doesn't work

how can one guy make a very good browser but mozilla with their 3000 employees + millions of dollars in ad deals can't release a stable and reliable? let's not forget it took 11 years to firefox devs fix the ram hungry issue. And in fact it got better with v41 but with 57 everything went back to zero again with high CPU use and eating more ram than chrome. I have 29 tabs opened on chromium. My pc is a fucking 2013 i3 without GPU and 8GB of ram ddr3 1333. I can open a new tab in 1 second. Everytime I try to open more than 8 tabs on quantum it slow down and CPU go to 70%+ making my machine extreme slow. At one point I had 19 youtube tabs on chrome and could still play SNES games with no issues using higan performance

Are you opening it by spawning a new qutebrowser process, or via ":open -w" in qutebrowser? If it's the former, something like github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/scripts/open_url_in_instance.sh might help.

shaik.link/qutebrowser-caret-mode.html

qutebrowser uses a library (QtWebEngine/QtWebKit) for stuff like rendering/network/JavaScript/etc. while Firefox/Chromium have their own code for that.

>hot oil
code work for cum

he wrote the ui
it's still chromium

Also, all the usual vim keys work in caret mode, like 'v' for selecting, 'w' for next word, 'b' for last word, etc.

This is all I've been waiting for in qutebrowser. qutebrowser is perfect now. I hope they don't keep adding stuff to it and turn into a bloatware.

It clearly needs Pocket integration :^)

If you know anything about JavaScript in the browser you could probably fix it real easy.

im a brainlet so no

someone explain me how to add the debian repositories on sources.list so I can download qutebrowser along my stable branch?

I'll be happy to use this instead of firefox

>stable
Just follow the installation instructions from the readme. There are instructions for installing a .deb but you should try following the instructions for installing from tox first, because the back ends in stable are old and you may have minor but irritating issues.

Not really. The problem is that Sup Forums (I think?) defines the global $ object for jQuery, but Oneechan also defines its own global $ object with something custom. Other browser isolate the JavaScript context for GreaseMonkey scripts, but qutebrowser currently can't do that.

>Not really
Yes really
>The problem is ...
Yep
>qutebrowser currently can't
But it could! All it takes is you!
It's not like it's incompatible in purpose.

I'm the main developer of qutebrowser. It's currently unclear to me if isolation is possible without changes in QtWebEngine. So, yeah - maybe it's possible to implement there, maybe it takes some changes in C++ in QtWebEngine and up to a year of waiting for a feature release. Anyways, I have other priorities. FWIW, with QtWebKit, it definitely won't be possible.

Does fucking Sup Forums x work yet

This also if so how, it's literally the only reason I haven't switched.

>muh superior browser

>how can one guy make a very good browser
it's not, qutebrowser is nothing more than experimental side project with shitload of bugs and lacks tons of features.

Don't get memed by the contributors number on github, this is still a one-man project.
There is nothing worse than having a human as a single point of failure. This dude gets into some accident/depression and it's all over the project is dead.

I’ll enjoy the ride as long as I can then.

That’s like not playing an online game because it’ll eventually shut down.

Protip: currently Qutebrowser can't block crypto miner JS on Sup Forums. Use it here at your peril.

qutebrowser security is trash tier, don't use it for anything important.

I would never trust browsers like this with sensitive data like when shopping or banking. Not just because devs arent held to the same standard as major browsers but also because you dont know what vulnerablitites or exploits are there. Its still so young and there isnt a team of people working on it everyday, all day like major browsers. But what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As long as it can't process a ů as a movement key, I'll have to pass. It makes me sad, but it is so.

Sure. github.com/ccd0/Sup Forums-x#webkitgtk--qtwebkit--qtwebengine

There are currently 6 people (who I trust and who are regular contributors) other than me with full access to the project. That's a lot more than most other open-source projects.

You can selectively block JS, and you can probably block more via GreaseMonkey scripts. Other than that, citation needed™.

Note that qutebrowser is a much smaller code base because it doesn't have any code on its own for rendering/JavaScript/networking/etc. but uses a library (based on Chromium/WebKit) for that - so it's not really comparable. Also see 8. on github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/faq.asciidoc

Have you tried with v1.2.0 (which had a complete refactoring of keyboard input handling)?

The whole idea is to have no bloat, why do you fags ask for extensions and scripts to rice shit? Just use websites as it is and block ads on your hosts file/router.

What is this and why is it ripping off qbittorrent's logo?

>citation
You mentioned yourself you'd need to modify the request body on the fly, which was not currently possible, to block the crypto JS in a github ticket.

Hosts blocking is no longer sufficient.

>1) it's not
>2) they have the same initials
>3) if you even care about the logo of a software you use, go back to winblows faggot

What even is caret mode? What did you need your mouse for before now?

Call me back when there's tree style tabs

>What even is caret mode? What did you need your mouse for before now?
Have you ever used vim? It's equivalent to visual mode in vim, only for web pages.

You can select and copy text using only keyboard, which is pretty nice, especially when I only use a touchpad.

Not good enough for me to ditch Firefox altogether.
I like the command line and ability to browse with keyboard alone however it has no support for extensions nor drag and drop hierarchical bookmark system that you can organise into folders with relative ease.
The amount of extensions I use can be counted on a single hand:
>uMatrix (indispensable) + uBlock
>Cookie autodelete (indespensable)
>Stylish (can live without by downloading and manually setting up darktheme CSS scripts for frequently visited sites in qutebrowser)
>Openwith (qute browser has native support to open media links with mpv thanks to its command line)
>Tampermonkey/ViolentMonkey support (for 4chanX)
It has potential, I am keeping an eye on the project and have it installed.

When will qutebrowser allow for abp lists like easylist in the adblocker? That's the final thing left I need for it.

Qutebrower supports greasemonkey scripts like 4chanx but I don't know how much you can block scripts in qutebrowser compared to umatrix and noscript

Why isn't there a browser with emacs keybindings? Why is it that only vimfags make browsers?

Attached: autism01.jpg (403x433, 39K)

Because emacsfags are knee deep in their ecosystem browsing the web in their text editor. Might as well turn it into an OS and show pottering how true poetry is written.

qutebrowser supports emacs-like keybindings if you add them.

you use emacs without evil?

Your browser should already support arrow keys. Try them.

here you go lisp fag

github.com/nEXT-Browser/nEXT

Because vim keybindings are so superior to emacs keybindings that even emacs users use vim keybindings in emacs

woah I didn't expect this much people biting, wew

Attached: tigerlaugh01.jpg (325x244, 38K)

Fuck off retard

I heard a lot of this browser is based on leaked blink source code?

Blink is the chromium engine that is free software and forked from webkit that's also free software that was forked from khtml which is also free software

Oh then I got confused about the name of the leaked opera rendering engine

Right you're thinking of the leaked presto engine that opera used before they switched to blink

apt search qutebrowser

>nothing was found
Looks like a botnet mining buttcoins

How qutebrowser is superior to firefox with ublock origin and privacy badger with vimium addons?

> pacman -Ss qutebrowser
> community/qutebrowser 1.2.0-1
> A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I bet you are using Mint.

How firefox with ublock origin and privacy badger with vimium addons is superior to qutebrowser?

My point was:
Why should I use some browser made by someone who visits chinese cartoon channel over professionally made browser like firefox?
With vimium I have VIM bindings, with ublock and private badger I see no ads and am somehow secure.

>With vimium I have VIM bindings, with ublock and private badger I see no ads and am somehow secure.

Firefox likes to break compatibility with addons on each upgrade, gets slower and more bloated with every upgrade, and has some horrible ideas lately.

Also, developing addons for it is a nightmare.

The Chrome plugin API doesn’t seem to allow much freedom for plugin writers, which results in Vimium not really having all the features you’d expect from a proper minimal, vim-like browser.

just put the .js in the qutebrowser greasemonkey dir

>developing addons for it is a nightmare
>implying that qutebrowser will be popular enough so people will start making addons for it
>firefox likes to break compatibility with addons on each upgrade, it's slow, bloated
Works on my machine. I don't use a 10 yo thinkpad though...

>xbps-query -R qutebrowser
No problems here

>implying that qutebrowser will be popular enough so people will start making addons for it

It already is (with some couple of thousand users FWIW)

users, not maintainers/developers
Your daily FizzBuzz challenge won't help qutebrowser keep going. :^)

People who write them not being maintainers (or developers of the core) is kind if the point of extensions. Most of qutebrowser's users are likely able to write a plugin if they want to.

It's in Debian Stretch (testing), didn't make it to Jessie in time.

Because ESR won't last long, and Pentadactyl and Vimperator will both not only die, but be completely impossible to recreate or revive once """legacy""" extensions are gone for good.

test

passed

dude you realise that advertisers should pay for advertising, right?

So it's basically got built-in uMatrix?

Qutebrowser is superb. Props to the devs.

reeee

Not really uMatrix (yet), just per-site script filtering.

so how would i use this to block the amgload cancer that Hiro put on the website awhile back?

is there a win build?

yes

When will adblock plus lists be compatible with qutebrowser? That and the noscript features need to be improved till it's ready

No, it's the other way around.

it is my absolute favourite browser for sure. Been using it for more than a year and it just blows me away. Particularly as soon as I open Chromium for example, I realize over and over again how productive I am with qutebrowser.
Hope it never dies or gets too bloated, it's a minimalist's dream

Use :adblock-update command to refetch latest blacklists. Also, I've seen somewhere in changelogs they n
got some noscript support if I'm not mistaken